PDA

View Full Version : titanium boomstick

rowbuddy
01-06-2003, 08:50 AM
is getting a titanium boomstick really worth the extra money?

JEDI
01-06-2003, 11:58 AM
I like mine. Its very light, and tough as nails. Yes, worth it.

thei3ug
01-06-2003, 12:13 PM
i like mine. it's very light. and it offers absolutely no benefits over an aluminum two piece or a stainless/alum two piece.

fire1811
01-06-2003, 01:52 PM
i very much agree with thei3ug i have shot all three barrels and see no difference except the price so i saved the hundo and some and went with the aluminum.
cheaper lighter shoots the same what more u need :D

JEDI
01-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by thei3ug
i like mine. it's very light. and it offers absolutely no benefits over an aluminum two piece or a stainless/alum two piece.

I basically agree that you wont see much performance difference, but doesn't stating that its lighter mean there's a benefit?

I went from a stock Emag, to a complete ULE kit, and a Titanium Boomstick. I gotta assume that the whole set up is several ounces lighter. I guess it depends, how important is weight to you?

thei3ug
01-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Jedi,
I'm used to heavy. I like heavy. I think heavy is a good thing.

You're right, the tiboom is not heavy, it's a very nice weight IMO. I weighed all three once... stainless, ti, and ultralight. Can't remember the exact weights, but it's a nice spread, since that's the only difference besides cosmetics. And therein lies the problem. if weight was an issue, why pay twice as much for the weight you want? There are other ways to achieve this.

Admittedly, I have one. I do love it. But I can't honestly tell any one person "go get it!" Unless they understand that the reason they need it is desire, and there are no alternatives that would suffice. This is why I made a bad salesman. Even if a product does what it needs to do, and does it well, if it doesn't make the manufacturer's claim and cost justification, I can't pimp it. There you have it. I'm a scrooge. I'm the kid in 3rd grade who flicked a single pea at you during lunch and got you detention when you threw one back. I'm a bitter, bitter man.

FeelTheRT
01-06-2003, 03:10 PM
IMHO, it is no worth it at all. If you want the lightness, go buy a DYE Ultralite barrel or a JT barrel. They are cheaper; just as light, if not, lighter even; and they all shoot the same of course.

BobTheCow
01-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by thei3ug
There you have it. I'm a scrooge. I'm the kid in 3rd grade who flicked a single pea at you during lunch and got you detention when you threw one back. I'm a bitter, bitter man.
LOL!!!!
that is SO going in my sig :D . i'm a lapco man myself, but i don't have the energy to argue about it rite now.

rdb123
01-06-2003, 03:54 PM
So which is lighter? The Dye Ultralite or the Dye Titanium?

Thanks

-Ron

JEDI
01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
The DYE ultra lite is lighter. Titanium is not lighter than an equal amount of Al.

FalconGuy016
01-06-2003, 07:50 PM
So if ultralite is actually lighter than TI... whats the point of getting TI then?

Magluvr
01-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Here it is:
of AL and Ti
Al is lighter
Ti is stronger (tensile strength)

However, there is one downfall of Ti, It cannot take being rubbed against. It can take a good beating, but if something is comtinually rubbing against it, it will start to rub through the Ti.

FalconGuy016
01-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Ti is lighter than alluminum

rdb123
01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016

Yeah, well that's how I've seen it hyped anyway.... "lightness of aluminum, strength of steel."

Weird

-Ron

FalconGuy016
01-06-2003, 10:08 PM
lol, well I think its just the metal is literally lighter than alluminum

BlackVCG
01-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016

No it is not.

The atomic weight of Aluminum is 26.98

The atomic weight of Titanium is 47.90

magman007
01-06-2003, 10:57 PM
you see, it is marketed like this. titanium can be milled thinner, since it is stronger, ususally, in my account, coming from lacrosse, they mill the shaft to about the same thickness as the nice aluminum one, then they sell it. it becomes much stronger than the aluminum ones (great for stick shattering stick checks) and it becomes just as heavy. Titanium can be milled to be as light as aluminum, and as strong as steel. t si a funny metal that way. also, it is very flexible, that is another reason we use them in lacrosse, they can dent, but not loose its structual integrity. Quite an impressive metal. and before you say, why dont they make a paintball marker out of it, the reason is because it is a tough metal to mill, chews up bits, and its expensive and you would make no proffit from doing so.

rdb123
01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Great post magman. BlackVCG, IIRC, it isnt pure titanium; it is a titanium alloy which is nearly as strong as pure titanium, but with weight less than aluminum.

Check their website and it names the alloy.

-Ron

TheJester
01-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG

No it is not.

actually is it, weight also has to do w/ density, titanium is just a little heavier than alminum, and i stress the little, but it has the strength of stainless steel. that's coming straight from my machining teacher, plus if you pick up a bar of alminum and a bar or titianium the same size, you can't really notice that much of a weight difference. but if buying 1 isn't worth it, how about is makeing 1 worth it???? we have a bar of titanium at school and i already have the go ahead from my teach to make a barrel, out of what material is to be announced just as "if it's feasible, we'll run it"

rdb123
01-07-2003, 05:40 PM
So Jester, you think the 70 dollars more for a titanium boomstick is justified?

Thanks

-Ron

TheJester
01-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by rdb123
So Jester, you think the 70 dollars more for a titanium boomstick is justified?

Thanks

-Ron

no, never said that, i was just wondering if it would be worth it to spend 40 bucks on a bar of it, and make my own out of it. personally i would never spend that much on a single barrel, mainly because i know that titanium isn't that hard to machine, relitivly speaking, it is hard, but not as hard as every 1 says it is, it has been compared to machining extreamly high quality stainless, you just have to use good carbide bits, and use coolent. however, i have heard that it is a better material, cause you can hone it to tighter tolerences, but i think that's kinda like the alm. vs stainless barrrels (minus the weight issue) no, i don't have 1, but i would say it's not really worth the extra money

banzaimf
01-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Ti has some other things involved.

1: it is higher in friction than stainless steel. I think it's lower than aluminum though.

2: breaks. Ti doesn't break pretty. It work hardens and shatters when it breaks (ask the russian navy about that one). Not a huge problem overall in what we do, but something to keep in mind when working it.

3: Ti is annodizable, Cool in the color matched gun crowd.

4: depending on where you are, Ti can be very cheap, or very expensive. Kent, Wa. has Boeing surplus, I know guys who work it for other stuff.

5: depending on where you are, some grades can be a controlled susbstance. I can't remember the countries though.

Does anyone remember the old Wizard bolt from Venom?

FeelTheRT
01-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG

No it is not.

that's the element alone. Are the barrels pure aluminum or titanium or some kind of alloy mixture? If someone who has both the barrels at the same length, bore size, and threads do a test, we would all appreciate it.

crazayman
02-06-2003, 02:50 AM
i think the reason they make them outta Ti vs Al is because the Ti threads hold up better. The Al threads peel and chip horrendusly. Where as the Ti threads are stronger and dont have that problem makin em a little more durable, higher quality, last longer. Thats my opinion though, I've never acctually seen the two to make a comparison, just goin with whats happening to my aluminum barrel, and heresay about Ti alloys.