PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new toy

VCK
01-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Ok I haven't owned a mag in over 5 years, and the last one I owned I only had for a very short time and it gave me absolutely no problems. So I recently purchased a mag off of ebay and sure enough I kinda got screwed.

This thing came with about 3 coats of paint on the body and rail. The velocity adjuster appears to have the allen slot stripped out and it appears the previous owner had resorted to using channel locks to adjust the velocity. The gun was full of old paint, all 3 barrels that it came with were full of old paint. Heck the hopper even had broken paint in it. I check the 20 oz he sent with it to find it over half full.

Undaunted by all of this I gave the gun a quick wipedown and gassed it up to see if it would shoot. Much to my surprise it did shoot. However the valve takes 1-2 seconds to recharge between shots. I adjusted the velocity and even changed out some micro line on the gun to steel braid to make sure it was getting good air flow but it still takes a couple seconds to recharge between shots. I also checked the on/off assembly to make sure it was correctly assembled. And I have also stripped all the paint off the body and rail.

Heres the details on the gun and how it is setup. It is a old standard feed HR with a old no star valve ( serial #'s match on the halves) It has a boo-yaah drop forward and a gas through grip. All lines are now steel braid.

Ok as of right now my first thought is to simply buy a repair kit and replace all the seals in the gun. Is this the right idea? Is there anything in particular I need to do? I also wondered if replacing the rear half of the valve with a aftermarket one would possibly fix the problem ( considered this also due to the velocity adjuster being in rough shape ). So any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

banzaimf
01-07-2003, 05:25 PM
I would suggest stripping it down and cleaning any crud out. Especially in the on/off area. Next. I would change the reg seat o-ring, the power tube o-ring and maybe the on/off top o-rings. Also, you should be able to buy a replacement velocity adjuster from the airguns store. Or you could take a look at the Taso one that has a lock.

digitard
01-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah,
Strip the valve, replace all the orings in the valve ... oil it and try again.

Clean out the valve as much as you can as well .. bet there's some wear and tear in it.

Sincerely,
Dave K

toymyster
01-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Stripping the valve down and replacing all the seals on a 'mag you just bought should be like replacing all the fluids on a used car you just purchased!! That is probably your best course of action, since it sounds like the previous owned did not take care of the marker like they should have!! It might be because of this neglect that something is sticking inside and the valve not recharging like it should!! Also, switch over to compressed air as soon as you can, you'll be a lot happier!!!

VCK
01-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the input,will be stripping and replacing o-rings and seals as soon as I can grab a parts kit.

And after showing the gun to a friend at work that also plays paintball. We both agreed that it looks like the previous owner got the gun in somewhat rough condition, and probably didn't know much about mags so he simply put some nice accesories on the gun and sold it. Both barrels and every other extra add on piece on the gun look brand new without a mark on them.

IcantBelieveit
01-08-2003, 10:04 PM
be sure that on/off assembly is the one you need for the booh-yah frame

VCK
01-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Well stripped the gun down today to clean it and found a few interesting things.

When I stripped the regulator down I found the regulator piston was beat up bad. This thing looked like it had been kicked around a parking lot and run over a couple times. So I took some fine grit sandpaper and smoothed out all the burrs on the sides of the piston, cleaned and oiled it up and re-assembled it.

Next I took the on/off apart again and noticed something i missed the first time. For some reason the guy had an extra o-ring in the thing jammed in the bottom and the top was upsided down. So I assembled it corectly, oiled it up , gassed it up and the thing shoots perfectly now.

So now I'm happy again, gun is working perfectly and didn't have to spend a dime on it :)