PDA

View Full Version : Tom... Please make us a twist lock adapter for autococker threads...

Evil Bob
01-07-2003, 06:14 PM
I tried contacting Doc over at Doc Machines about the adapter he has... he has thus far not responded. We desperately need a twist lock adapter for autococker threads to extend the usability of older mags, especially now that barrel manufacturers are pretty much ignoring the AutoMag twist lock.

-Evil Bob

shartley
01-07-2003, 06:15 PM
AGREED!

PsychoBaller
01-07-2003, 06:17 PM
twist lock adapter for cocker threads aye..... hmmm... what evil brews in one's mind to come up with such a ploy....

~da "mystifying quotes" baller

Sinnet
01-07-2003, 06:31 PM
GREAT idea

azzkikr
01-07-2003, 06:34 PM
that adapter already exist, it wasn't too popular at the time though. unfourtunately I cannot remember who made it to save my life. it was like a really short barrel that had the twist lock in one end and the threads on the other. the problem was that it had a portion of metal between them. also it was made long enough to be able to be used with the minimag body, so you guys can imagine how long it was. later AZZKIKR

Sinnet
01-07-2003, 06:39 PM
I'd think it would be possible to machine one so that there was an extremely small amount of metal between the end of the cocker barrel and the twist-lock, as long as it was very thin... maybe? :confused:

azzkikr
01-07-2003, 06:44 PM
no doubt that it could be made with small amount of metal between the two but it would probably be short enough so that it would be completely inside the body so you couldn't remove it for cleaning. later AZZKIKR

personman
01-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, and when/if you make it make sure to make a replacement barrel twist lock assy that is compleately stiff so it may not come undone..
N' stuff.. yea.. good idea..

Evil Bob
01-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Yes, one exists already, but if you had read what I posted, you would have learned that I have already tried to contact the person who makes it. I have tried to contact Doc over at Doc Machine and he has not reponded at all, I sent him 3 seperate emails over the past 2 weeks. The adapter that Doc made can be found here (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/magadapter2.jpg).

It's made out of stainless steel so it's strong enough and thick enough for what we need.

-Evil Bob

spantol
01-07-2003, 07:11 PM
I, too, have been attempting to contact Doc about these, without much luck.

Tom, is there any chance that something like this might find its way onto your already-overflowing plate?

petefol
01-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by personman
Yes, and when/if you make it make sure to make a replacement barrel twist lock assy that is compleately stiff so it may not come undone..
N' stuff.. yea.. good idea..
i dont think they would be able to do that because if the assembly didnt move then it would have no way to lock the adapter in place.

redlaser666
01-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Has anybody though about using an old mag barrel, cut and threaded instead of making an adapter from scratch. That way you can keep the wire detent.

Lee
01-07-2003, 08:12 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59581

theres an email address for a guy that makes them on one of the posts in the above link. i emailed him tonite.

i also emailed doc and got no response, so i'm hoping this guy pans out.

i thought about making one from an old stock barrel, but i'd rather pay somebody else to do it :-)

logamus
01-07-2003, 08:28 PM
This might help you with Doc. (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=9013&messageid=1041898303)

Bunny
01-07-2003, 08:31 PM
from the link...."Got to try an X-Mag last night. Pretty cool, if I do say so... but why does everyone like those magnetic triggers so much? It felt mushy and inconsistent to me. Perhaps I'm just used to the slight "snap" of a carefully-sprung microswitch..."

OMG

Ultimator
01-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Bunny
from the link...."Got to try an X-Mag last night. Pretty cool, if I do say so... but why does everyone like those magnetic triggers so much? It felt mushy and inconsistent to me. Perhaps I'm just used to the slight "snap" of a carefully-sprung microswitch..."

OMG OMGOMGOMGOMG let's flip out because he has a different opinion ;)

Making a mag adpater for cocker barrels would be cool but I doubt Tom would make one. It's sort of like giving up the thread of barrels that he invented? Oh well I wouldn't really wanna do it but maybe it's just me.

rjvemt1
01-07-2003, 08:50 PM
if it where a sleeve instead of an adapter it could be short enough that the bolt would push the ball past the seam before firing

remove the twist loc detent, drop the sleeve into the body and use two small screws on either side of the gun to hold it in place.

datapimp69
01-07-2003, 11:06 PM
if i made some how many would really buy them..

i mean REALLY buy them...

if we could get 50 pre ordered i could get them made really cheap.

i will put a poll to see if there is real interest in this.

AGD
01-07-2003, 11:14 PM
We are not considering spending time on this because we are working on aluminum bodies with cocker threads.

AGD

WARPED1
01-07-2003, 11:21 PM
The twist lock has outlived it's usefulness.Let it die with dignaty.Notice all the new barrel companies won't even make an expensive to produce twist lock(ala Evil's pipes)

Doc Nickel
01-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Okay guys, here's the official story:

I've received quite a few E-mails about my adapter, I'm guessing 20 to 30. If I missed a reply, I apologize. I get upwards of fifty messages a day, and with my typical chicken-with-it's-head-cut-off schedule and level of organization, occasionally I lose track.

Anyway, I've made about ten stainless adapters, and two or three aluminum ones for various customers. Problem is, making them on manual machines is somewhat time-consuming, and worse, tends to be inconsistent when I rush things. They take a while to drill and machine from solid 303 bar stock, and so I have to charge accordingly.

However, I've started nailing down details and financing to have a CNC shop make a short run of them. Best estimates say six weeks, could be two months, depending on shop schedules. This will allow me to cut the price in half, and have better finishes to boot.

The details: The adapters are, as I said, 303 stainless steel, and a drop-in, no-mods, fully reversible conversion to Autococker threads. (Though I did make one prototype that takes Angel barrels.) The inserts fit all 'Mags that take existing "twist lock" barrels, and, better yet, each adapter fits both left feed, right feed AND centerfeed bodies interchangably. They do not use the 'nubbin', they use a different, proven detent (supplied)- I've blown a case through my red-Splash CF-modded LX 'Mag so far, with no chops, no misfeeds, no wear and no damage.

As I said, I'm hoping to get these done and in my hot little hands within six weeks. I need to get more details from the shop before I quote any prices, but I expect it to be very affordable.

Also, I have about four or five stainless blanks that have been drilled, but not cut for threads. They're not long enough for an Angel thread, but if you want another style thread adapter (Shocker and ICD might be a bit tough, as multiple-lead threads are a pain in the patella) like Spyder, Phantom, Tippmann (no, not enough room for a FlatLine adapter) or whatever else you can think of, just drop me a line. Custom ones won't be cheap, but still less than the cost of a new high-end barrel.

Anyone interested in the production adapters, please feel free to drop me an E-Mail (doc@docsmachine.com) with the phrase "Automag barrel adapter" in the subject line, and I'll start a first-come-first-served list.

As far as my apparent heresy about the magnetic trigger, please keep in mind the customer had just gotten the gun (an X-Mag) and neither of us had taken any time to fine-tune the trigger. I agree with another Guild poster though, that if the magnets were reversed, so that the force increased with travel rather than decreased, that might feel a little better. Soon's I get an E-Mag or X-Mag to fool with myself, I'll try it. :)

Doc.

petefol
01-07-2003, 11:24 PM
like tom said, why make an adapter when the slug is out. with the slug you also make your gun millable and decrease the weight. if you want to use twist lock then just put your SS body back on.

spantol
01-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Doc: You've got mail. :)

Petefol: The problem is that the slugs aren't out, or at least aren't available in a manner that's useful to me. When finished slug bodies are available, I'll be among the first in line to pick one up. Until then, though, I'd love to be able to use my cocker barrels on my mags. Clearly, I'm not alone there.

snakestang
01-08-2003, 07:37 AM
One question. Does the new cocker threaded barrel go all the way back to the drop point. In other words, when the paint rolls into the adapter how far must it travel to get to the cocker barrel? Or is it a seamless entry from Mag hole to Cocker barrel.

Only reason I ask is because if there is a small distance to travel and say the distance that needs to be covered is .689 then using anything other then a .689 barrel will be ineffective. Does this make sense?

Lee
01-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Tom...there seems to be a market for this item.

not everyone wants a slug body or as the means to machine it and an adapter might fit into peoples budgets better too. i know it will mine.

warpfeedmod
01-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by WARPED1
The twist lock has outlived it's usefulness.Let it die with dignaty.Notice all the new barrel companies won't even make an expensive to produce twist lock(ala Evil's pipes)

NOOOO! The Twistloc will never die!

Twist-loc 4-evah!

heheh

Jonesie
01-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by AGD
We are not considering spending time on this because we are working on aluminum bodies with cocker threads.

AGD

Perhaps AGD could strike a deal with Doc and put a limited number in the Online Store. That would make them a lot more accessible by the general Automag public with minimal effort on AGD parts.

Later ~ Jonesie

JEDI
01-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Ha Ha! I knew twist lock was on the way out! Where were all you guys when I said I hated it, and got flamed by all those twist lock monkeys?

digitard
01-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Tom,
Correct me if I'm wrong, your saying that your making new bodies (like for standard mags/rt's/etc) that can be purchased and put on w/ cocker threads correct?

That would be cool ... to be able to replace my old skool twist lock P/L body w/ a warp feed left cocker threaded body.

Sincerely,
Dave K

Evil Bob
01-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Yes, the slug bodies are all Autococker thread natives, no more twist lock for the barrel.

-Evil Bob

thevilduk
01-08-2003, 02:38 PM
haha, i got a micro body!

MX9009
01-11-2003, 10:52 PM
wait how will that adapter help unless it locks into the body cause a barrle screwed into a twist lock is gunna be the same as a twistlock barrle such as the front end to a boomstick and the backend of it

_Spork_1
01-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

date of realse? are they just going to be exactly the same as the bodies now just cocker threaded?

Skoad
01-12-2003, 12:03 AM
I have not read everyone's post on here so i may be repeating someone...anyone thought of asking LAPCO? I hear they make some spiffy barrel adapters

Mossman
01-12-2003, 12:12 AM
They're gonna be slug bodies, only with detent and feed rise hopefully, and hopefully some purty milling too :)

Anyhow, My interest in the cocker adapter matters completely on whether the price is over or under 30 dollars :)

Creative Mayhem
01-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by petefol
like tom said, why make an adapter when the slug is out. with the slug you also make your gun millable and decrease the weight. if you want to use twist lock then just put your SS body back on.

sorry to bring this comment up again, but what about those who like thier MINIMAG bodies? The sluggo just won't cu it in that instance. That's where the adapter comes in....

C Mayhem

WARPED1
01-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Face reality,the twist lock is past it's prime,it's dead.
*pauses for a moment of silence for the twist lock.*Ok,let's go eat pie!

petefol
01-12-2003, 05:14 PM
i like my minimag body too, but i also want a lighter gun, and i like the ease of twist locks, but they do seem to wobble to much.

Lee
01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
i emailed wild@akorn.net (www.wildfirepaintball.com) and ordered and aluminum one from him. $30.73 including ups delivery. he accepts credit cards though i sent him a postal money order.

lapco doesn't make a cocker threded insert. i looked at thier website today.

i won't be able to use the insert for a couple weeks since i'm working weekends for awhile, but i'll update and let you all know if it's worth it.