PDA

View Full Version : Mag newbie tech questions

jeremyandhismag
01-07-2003, 06:45 PM
I just got my first mag. It's just a classic mag with the lvl 10, expanison chamber and 14" Smart Parts Teardrop barrel. When I got it back I noticed a couple of problems. First, there was a leak coming out of the velocity adjusting hole on the back. It wasnt much but it still made me curious. I called and he said to turn the velocity down then i notice that every shot got shorter and shorter. I was loosing velocity like 4 feet every shot. Then, my second problem, my CO2 was drained after about 225 shots. Maybe its because my gun sat up in someones closet for about two years and just got oiled up or maybe the co2 has a leak or somehting. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Also, it shot ice sometimes, is there any way to get rid of that or am i screwed with that because i use CO2. thanks and please help.

Dayspring
01-07-2003, 07:26 PM
A) Well, I would guess the tank has a small leak, and the CO2 leaked out over the time in the closet. No biggy. Fill'er up. (But make sure it's in Hydro.)
B) How is the CO2 tank set up? Bottom line or vertical? If it's bottom line, you're probably getting liquid CO2 in. This can be solved with getting an anti-siphon tube installed in the tank. It makes sure that only gaseous CO2 gets in to the x-chamber.
C) The velocity drop off may be a bad reg-piston. But it's also possible due to the CO2 being really low. Try a new tank and find a chrony somewhere... If you notice drop-off, it's the reg piston most likely.
D) Also, make sure you oil her every time you use her. (If playing in really cold weather, I've noticed that you have to oil her (With Level 10) every tank change to keep it slick.

jeremyandhismag
01-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I got the CO2 filled since then and it still emptied after about 250 shots. Also, it does have an anti-siphon on the CO2 tank itself. I use an expansion chamber as my set up but it still seemed to shoot ice. This could be because the gun hasnt been used in so long that residue or buildup is being shot out.

athomas
01-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Take the valve completely apart and clean everything and install a complete parts kit from AGD. This will give you a fresh start so you will know everything is new. It will also probably solve any leak problems you are having out the back. Make sure you lubricate the o-rings as you install new ones.

Verify that the anti-siphon is installed correctly for your gun. The tube should be up when the bottle is intalled on the gun.

Liquid getting into the gun will cause ice flakes out the front like you are describing plus will add to the problem of inefficient operation.

What type of on/off assembly is in your gun? Is the valve completely stock or are there aftermarket parts installed on it?

What size is the CO2 bottle you are using?

jonnie60
01-09-2003, 03:03 PM
How old is yur gun. When i bought mine it poured co2 from the velocity screw untill i fire a couple of shots, then it stopped. That was with co2. Since using n2 it hasn't happened. hope this helps, o ya CLASSIC MAGS HATE C02

jeremyandhismag
01-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I took it by the local shop who installed the lvl 10 and he fixed it. I am looking into getting N2 but I see so many different choices and I dont wanna spend much money either. Is N2 really that much better? I live in college station so there really isnt a place to fill up N2 so im screwed when it comes to that.

digitard
01-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Yes HPA is that much better ...

**insert explanation**
First, let me correct a common misconception .. its not Nitrogen, its just nitrogen rich (70%) ... so its actually Compressed Air :)

Okay, CO2 is a liquid thats VERY volitile to temperature ... so when it goes from liquid in your bottle to gas in your gun it gets unstable and thats why you have various chrono speeds/consistancy. When you start rapid firing your gun your valve heats up and again the temperature changes the co2 and it gets various types of speeds/consistancy .... go and rapid fire sometime you'll notice it.

HPA tanks do not have that problem because Compressed Air isn't as sensitive to temperature ... the heatup from the valve and things dont have as much of an effect so you get a much higher rate of consistancy.

Go to the AIR SYSTEMS forum here, I bet ya can get a 68/3000 FIBER tank for under 100 bucks used from someone and that will get ya going.

Sincerely,
Dave K

jonnie60
01-09-2003, 05:42 PM
You want a cheap comp air tank, buy a 68ci 3000 steel Pure energy tank. You can get one about anywhere online for 120. I get 1000 rounds from my minimag! But then all mags are very efficient.

jeremyandhismag
01-09-2003, 06:07 PM
My mag made a gurgling sound after i got done shooting it. I set it down and then ice came out and the gurgling sound started happening. Anyone know why it would do this? How many shots can i get off of a 48ci Nitro tank? Thanks

Dayspring
01-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Rule of thumb-

10 shots/Cubic Inch on a 3000psi tank
15 shots/Cubic Inch on a 4500psi tank

jonnie60
01-11-2003, 11:35 AM
But remeber mags are notoriously efficient on air. Ive used a 48ci 3000psi tank and got 600 shots from it. However i would spend the extra 40 bucks for a 68ci tank.