PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pants

FordPrefect
01-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I want to make my own custom pants for paintball. I have a sewing machine, thread, and a Wal-Mart close to me for fabric.

I'm gonna start with a cheap pair of pants. I was thinking just blue jeans, or maybe something else like that. I'm going for durable here. I'm going to sew on a whole bunch of pockets, for squeegies and other stuff.

The main idea here though, is to sew in pod pockets. I read somewhere about a company that made pants with pod pockets. Well I was thinking about 4 pockets, so that I will have no harness on my back. The only problem is where to put them. My best guess is the front thigh. I think this will be good for when I play back. But I am going to try out playing front in the Ronald Amudsen tourney. So laying down might be a problem.

How big of a problem will that be?

EsPo
01-07-2003, 09:49 PM
laying down with pods on the front of your body will be a big pain, why not make 2 pairs, and decide front or back everygame, and you can switch while everybody is getting ready:)

Load SM5
01-07-2003, 09:51 PM
I think the Raven Pants are the ones with the built in pod loops. They have 2 in the back

logamus
01-07-2003, 09:54 PM
you could always put strips of velcro on the front and back of the pants and on the pods. that way you can change pod placement at will. if you use the non-fuzzy part on the pants it should work pretty decent.

Python14
01-07-2003, 09:59 PM
I've been thinking about making some pants for myself too. I can't find any that are both comfortable and stylish, yes also durable and fuctional. I wear Chigos at the moment but will need to get new ones soon. I was thinking of using some heavyweight canvas to make them and triple layering the knees and ***. I don't really need pockets because I just shove my battleswab in my belt. If I do it, I'll post pics

Sinnet
01-07-2003, 10:03 PM
I definitely wouldn't start with jeans. Durable, yes, but heavy and confining too. Maybe start w/cheap wal-mart cargoes and sew patches of denim on the knees and butt?

FordPrefect
01-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Maybe use the velcro on the front and back, and then rig up a belt on each leg to hold the pods in place so they won't fall off. I think that the velcro might not be secure enough.

Sinnet, I'm not sure that they'd be to confining, because I could get the kind with wider legs. But I can see what you are saying, just what kind of pants are you suggesting? The kahki style cargoes?

Sinnet
01-08-2003, 10:37 PM
yep, something like that. I've got a pair of cheapo zipoff cargoes with pretty light material i've been using for 6 months or so that are great.

I love the pod-on-pants idea... as for velcro not being strong enough, you could always have some kind of elastic loop in addition to that.

Also, although it would look funny, a pod on the outside of each thigh might not get in the way as much as other spots.

FordPrefect
01-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I think that an elastic loop on sewed onto the pants would be a goood idea. To change the pods positions, I would slide the litte pocket enclosure under the elastic, and onto the velcro. Is that what you mean? Because I think thats a pretty good idea. :)

FordPrefect
01-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know what material JT and others use for their slippery knee reinforcements? I might want to add some of that.

PsychoBaller
01-08-2003, 11:20 PM
looks like AO has its own Paintballin Martha Stewart now.....

~da "just playin around" baller :D

AlabamaMan
01-09-2003, 01:54 PM
i'm pretty sure that JT uses ballistic nylon on their knees. As far as pod pockets are concerned i think that nexed puts their pod pockets right behind the front pockets, so that they are on the sides of your thighs.

FordPrefect
01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
I think I've found a place online for ballistic nylon, but it says 1050 denier "luggage grade". So I might have to find a different place.

And for side placement of the pods, wouldn't it get in the way when you do a baseball slide? I'm still going with the velcro front/back.

AlabamaMan
01-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Well here is where i sa those pants with the side pockets www.nexed.com they are the pro pants