PDA

View Full Version : The Official Spam Thread!

RamboPreacher
01-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Was playing with my new camera and couldn't resist.

pbzmag
01-07-2003, 11:30 PM
DUDE, I thought you were going to talk about the dreaded unwanted email!

pbzmag

GreasyPigeon
01-07-2003, 11:32 PM
WOW you learn something new every day spam with 25% less sodium

halB
01-08-2003, 12:35 AM
SPAM IS PEOPLE!!!
SPAM IS MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!

Soylent People, Apes, Men.

something like that

Jack & Coke
01-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Spam Musubi!

http://www.hawaiicc.com/SPAMmusubi.jpghttp://naio.kcc.hawaii.edu/tours/grinds/gif/spam_musubi.gifhttp://www.hawaii-arukikata.com/img/gourmet/2000b/spam.jpghttp://www.internetacademy.co.jp/~00060327/images/spam_musubi2.jpg

Timmee
01-08-2003, 08:13 AM
SPAM = Stuff Posing As Meat. :D

shartley
01-08-2003, 08:18 AM
I posted this back quite a while ago... ;)

Originally posted by shartley
http://www.hormel.com/hormel/obj.nsf/LUGraphic/G0319/$file/2.gif
What is SPAM?

SPAM is the equivalent of E-Mags for the meat world.. only more successful.

Why do I say this?

Because those who like it have some very good reasons for liking it and really HATE when those who don’t like it want to put it down. And those who dislike it tend to do so out of total prejudice… they put NOTHING in SPAM that is NOT edible. That makes people’s dislike one of pure prejudice. There are many “Cultural” and “Regional” foods around the world, and even in the United States, that many people would instantly dislike simply because of perceived reasons.. prejudice. If someone does not like something because of their actual taste preference, that is one thing, but it is another to not like it because of what it is (hmmm kind of sounds like racism but for meat.).

Also because for those who like it, it is the perfect substitute for many other meats (Ham, Bacon, Sausage, Deli Meats, etc) in various applications.

Now why is it more successful than the E-Mag?

I bet people would be hard pressed to find one supermarket that does NOT sell SPAM…. But can you say the same thing about E-Mags and paintball shops?

People like SPAM… it sells VERY well… and a few outspoken folks who dislike it does not make it a bad product. It IS however a good product to make fun of… an easy target… geeee sort of like E-Mags. And those who make SPAM are a great bunch of folks who work very hard to put out a good product, they are also nice people…. Geeee sort of like AGD?

Q: In what year will Hormel Foods produce the six-billionth can of SPAM?
A: 2002

Q: How many times would five billion cans of SPAM, placed end to end, circle the globe?
A: 12.5 times

Q: How many cans of SPAM can be stored in Hormel Foods' Austin, Minnesota, plant?
A: 20,736,000 cans

Q: How many cans of SPAM are produced by Hormel Foods' Austin, Minnesota, plant per minute?
A: 435 cans

Q: Who came up with the name SPAM?
A: While attending a New Year's Eve party thrown by Jay Hormel in 1936, Kenneth Daigneau won $100 for suggesting the now-famous name.

Q: The SPAM luncheon meat trademark is registered in how many countries?
A: 111 countries

Q: In what year was the Official SPAM Fan Club launched?
A: 1998

Q: In what year did the SPAMBURGER hamburger first appear on a can of SPAM luncheon meat?
A: 1991

Q: In what year did Austin, Minnesota, officially become known as SPAMTOWN, USA?
A: 1995

Q: The Austin, Minnesota, plant is one of only two U.S. locations where SPAM luncheon meat is produced. Where is the other plant?
A: Fremont, Nebraska

Q: Name the Soviet leader who credited SPAM for saving his army during WWII?
A: Nikita Khrushchev

Q: What is the name of the Official SPAM Fan Club newsletter?
A: A Slice of SPAM

The Role of SPAM® in World War II

As America entered World War II, SPAM luncheon meat played a crucial role overseas. With Allied forces fighting to liberate Europe, Hormel Foods provided 15 million cans of food to troops each week. SPAM immediately became a constant part of a soldiers' diets, and earned much praise for feeding the starving British and Soviet armies as well as civilians.

World War II generated a huge sales boost for Hormel Foods. Between 1939 and 1942, its net sales doubled to almost $120 million and annual pork processing reached an all-time high of 1.6 million head, mostly because of Uncle Sam. By 1944, 90 percent of all Hormel canned goods were going to military forces or military aid programs. That following April of 1945, more than 100 million pounds of SPAM luncheon meat had been shipped abroad.

· SPAM was used as a B-ration - to be served in rotation with other meats behind the lines overseas and at camps and bases in the States. However, many times GIs were eating it two or three times a day.

· SPAM was incorporated into the language of the war. Uncle Sam became Uncle SPAM, while food supply depots were SPAM Canyons. One military encampment in the South Pacific went so far as to dub itself SPAMVILLE. A photo of the camp showed the word SPAMVILLE painted on a makeshift watertower. A replication of SPAMVILLE is on display in the SPAM Museum.

· Throughout 1943, Hormel Foods hired 448 women to replace men serving in the war.

· Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev wrote, "Without SPAM we wouldn't have been able to feed our army."

· The British relished the SPAM that came to them. Margaret Thatcher, then a teenager, vividly remembered opening a tin of SPAM on Boxing Day (an English holiday observed the day after Christmas). She stated, "We had some lettuce and tomatoes and peaches, so it was SPAM and salad."

· President Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a letter acknowledging the role of SPAM in World War II, stated that he ate his "share of SPAM along with millions of other soldiers." The letter was sent to retired Hormel President H. H. Corey in 1966. A copy of this letter is on display in the World War II section of the SPAM Museum.

SPAM Museum Exhibit Overview

The new 16,500 square-foot SPAM Museum will open in September 2001. Museum visitors will be welcomed to the world of SPAM luncheon meat with a variety of interactive and educational games, fun exhibits and remarkable video presentations.

- SPAM is Born
Originally called HORMEL Spiced Ham, Hormel Foods held a contest to create a new name for the product in 1936. Discover who won the contest and the story behind the creation of SPAM luncheon meat.

- Global SPAM
In South Korea, SPAM is considered a gourmet treat. Find out why and investigate a world map showcasing the countries where SPAM luncheon meat is sold and eaten. The Global SPAM exhibit is your passport to everything SPAM!

- SPAM Exam
Q: The classic SPAM can received its first makeover when it began featuring what in 1997?
A: A SPAMBURGER hamburger!

Meet host Al Franken, former Saturday Night Live cast member, and test your SPAM knowledge during this interactive quiz show.

- Production
Put on hard hats, rubber gloves, hairnets and earplugs - everything you'll need to participate in the simulated SPAM production line. While you're at it, catch a glimpse of the SPAM Ballet. Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity.

- Monty Python
Everyone together now, "SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM..." View the familiar Monty Python SPAM skit in this SPAM sketch kitchen.

- Theater
Meet a few self-proclaimed SPAM fans and learn about their love of the luncheon meat in "SPAM...A Love story." Playing in the 43-seat theater, this 12-minute film examines the world's love affair with SPAM.

- Military 1940s
President Dwight D. Eisenhower was introduced to SPAM during World War II. Read a letter from the President and learn about SPAM luncheon meat's role in the war as you explore a replication of SPAMVILLE, a military camp named after a certain wartime treat.

- Jay C. Hormel Area
When Jay Hormel suggested canning ham, his father, George A. Hormel, wasn't convinced it was a good idea. Step into their 1903 office and look back on a time when the father-son team led the new and expanding meat packing company.

- Marketing
The first SPAM luncheon meat ads featured Gracie Allen and George Burns on their hit radio show. That was just the beginning of many marketing campaigns that would make SPAM an American icon. Experience highlights of various SPAM marketing initiatives from the 1940s to the present.

- Provision Market
George A. Hormel's first meat packinghouse was an abandoned creamery. Explore the landmark structure through old-time photographs, wooden crates, barrels and boxes, along with replica signage, recreated vintage products and an authentic meat counter from the late 1800s.

- Changing Marketplace
Looking for Indian, Chinese, Mexican or Greek food? Hormel Foods has them covered! Check out the vast array of Hormel Foods products currently available in supermarkets across the country.

- SPAM Retail Store
SPAM is much more than just something to eat! In the retail store you can shop for unique SPAM merchandise, including pens, T-shirts, notepads, boxers, jackets, hats and much, much more.

(Note: This post is light hearted. It is only semi-serious, intended only to make good reading while drinking a cup of coffee. It is not intended to spark a rash of flames, or the “great SPAM debate”. There are plenty of sites online for that. LOL Most of this information was taken directly from SPAM.COM and hormel.com Hormel's Main Site. :D)

EsPo
01-08-2003, 08:23 AM
thats truly amazing shartley....

ShooterJM
01-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Wow. That's a lot of spam info. I will say it's good for hiking!

BTAutoMag
01-08-2003, 01:07 PM
shartley... sometimes you scare me. this is one of those times

alkafluence
01-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Couldn't resist.... since this is the spam thread... hehe

Got Debt? We can help using Debt Consolidation!

If you owe $4,000 US or more, consolidate your debt into just 1 payment and let us handle the rest! Wouldn't it be nice to have to worry about just 1 monthly fee instead of half a dozen? We think so too.

- No credit checks required
- You do not have to own a home
- You do not need another loan
- Approval within 10 business days
- Available to all US residents

For a FREE, no obligation, consultation, please fill out the form below and return it to us. Paying bills should not be a chore, and your life should be as easy and simple as possible. So take advantage of this great offer!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

RamboPreacher
02-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I didn't know there was a BBQ flavoured spam!??!? - yummmy!

TigerMan
02-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
I didn't know there was a BBQ flavoured spam!??!? - yummmy!

Better stock up on it, it says limited time only! :eek:

-=Squid=-
02-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Now, would you REALLY be eating SPAM ifyou had the eggs and sausage and whatnot shown on the cover of the spam can?

shartley
02-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Now, would you REALLY be eating SPAM ifyou had the eggs and sausage and whatnot shown on the cover of the spam can?
Actually…. YES! :D I just got finished eating fried SPAM, cheese egg onion and mushroom omelet, and toast. :)

-=Squid=-
02-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by shartley

Actually…. YES! :D I just got finished eating fried SPAM, cheese egg onion and mushroom omelet, and toast. :)

Ewww....

rhetor22
02-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Sam...

where do i begin...

With the time you spent on writing a compelling essay on... on spam... you could have:

1. Ported/polsihed your stang heads

2. Ended world hunger

3. Eaten a real lot of spam

4. Bludgened yourself to death with a volley ball. (yes, that long.)

shartley
02-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
Sam...

where do i begin...

With the time you spent on writing a compelling essay on... on spam... you could have:

1. Ported/polsihed your stang heads

2. Ended world hunger

3. Eaten a real lot of spam

4. Bludgened yourself to death with a volley ball. (yes, that long.)
Actually that is far from being true. If you read, that information was mostly taken DIRECTLY from the SPAM site. I did not write most of it, I only compiled it in an AO friendly format. ;) The only part actually written by ME is up until the first Q&A. :D

Xerces
02-01-2003, 08:42 PM
nothing quite as tasty as fried classic spam

RamboPreacher
02-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Now, would you REALLY be eating SPAM ifyou had the eggs and sausage and whatnot shown on the cover of the spam can? yes, but actually, I am not sure what picture you are looking at since the one can with teh eggs has spam slices next to it, not sausage. :D

Spam is great, and as a bonus, the spam, and twinkies have a grat shelf-life. I am not sure they have an expiration date.

I made a spamm-ciche one time, turned out great! my spam soufle flopped in presentation, but still tasted great!. I wonder why people don't like something if they have never tried it (not saying that you haven't, squid, but most nay-sayers have not even tried it).

RTMAGBOY13
02-01-2003, 09:38 PM
ummmm im freaking out and 1 more thing

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
spam is pretty gross:p

cris8762
02-01-2003, 11:07 PM
lol RP i believe it is spelled quiche .... i just went to a dinner party at a friend of my family that is french, man he makes the best food!

dave_p
02-01-2003, 11:14 PM
if by chance any of you naysayers are still living at home, just wait until you are set up in your first bachelor pad, spam will become your best friend. hell, i practically lived on it. great stuff, cant say enough good about. my grandmother introduced it to me in the early 70's.

rdb123
02-01-2003, 11:22 PM
I still don't understand why they call unwanted e-mail by the name "SPAM" lol

-Ron

RamboPreacher
05-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by rdb123
I still don't understand why they call unwanted e-mail by the name "SPAM" lol

-Ron From the official SPAM website on teh subject of unwanted emails. (http://www.spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm)

RamboPreacher
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Grilled SPAM!

RamboPreacher
05-27-2003, 04:22 PM
And a close-up of this delectible scrumptious meat!

Ryknow
05-27-2003, 05:00 PM
ummm RP.. do you smoke crack? (no offense)

We need a S.P.A.R.K. thread. hehe, specially packed assorted road kill.

Xerces
05-27-2003, 05:34 PM
you would have to be smoking crack to not love spam!

Sparq
05-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Well, looks like I've got a new word for the day..."Spamtabulous"

AFRaven
05-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Now, I have never actually tried Spam, though I am interested in broadening my horizons. All you Spam-addicts out there, what's the best way to cook Spam to see if you like it or not. I want to be able to taste it, so i don't want it smothered in Eggs (omelette) or anything else. Oh yes, I will get back to you on whether or not it pleases my tastebuds :rolleyes:

RamboPreacher
05-27-2003, 09:57 PM
grilled or fried works best, and for a RP-secret...
add a sprinkle of suger on each slice. Not alot, just a small pinch. It cuts the saltyness and enhances the flavour. :D

Smegma
05-27-2003, 10:23 PM
ive never had SPAM, i think ill pick some up at the store next time and try a bit. Any suggestions for a newcommer in the SPAM world? Can you eat it out of the can, maybe on some crackers with cheese?

I thought SPAM stood for:
S - I forgot, Surplus maybe
P ackaged
A merican
Meat
Its sounds reasonable because of the important role that it played in WWII.

joeyjoe367
05-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Oooh, one my favorite sandwiches:

Grilled Spam Sandwich:

Grilled Spam (Don't add oil, just slap it on the frying pan!)
1 Fried egg
Mayonaise
Bread

and you're good to go!

RamboPreacher
07-01-2003, 04:24 PM
something to temp the taste buds!

than205
07-02-2003, 09:20 AM
As a former Navy brat I can attest to:
Spam tastes like Ca-Ca Poo-Poo.
LOL

Y'all prolly drink American Lite beer too! ;)

RamboPreacher
07-02-2003, 03:27 PM
actually super-lite. if I have a beer at all, it would be an odouls or other non-alcoholic brew.

wyn1370
07-02-2003, 03:27 PM
http://www.hormel.com/images/brands/Pantry/Spam/CrazyTasty1.gif
now that's just good comedy

nippinout
07-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Jebus, RamboPreacher!!! You like to drink hot sauce or what? :) lol

Fried SPAM is good stuff.

My local grocery chain only stocks regular SPAM and the lite crap. Occasional Turkey.

I have to go to the mom&pop grocery store to get Smoked SPAM. Smoked is good stuff! I have to find a place to get this BBQ kind.

BTW, in Korea, SPAM isn't really a gourmet delicassy as many think. It's just used in soup some times. Good stuff!

behemoth
07-02-2003, 03:46 PM
i have to admit...Rambo has some good taste

FRANKS RED HOT!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!

FalconGuy016
07-02-2003, 04:03 PM
mmm... spam

Whats in spam anyways?
Edit: Did everyone see "Four Spamtabulous Recipies" ... that made me laugh lol

nippinout
07-02-2003, 09:10 PM
I have to try that sugar thing. Sounds really good.

joeyjoe367
07-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by nippinout

BTW, in Korea, SPAM isn't really a gourmet delicassy as many think. It's just used in soup some times. Good stuff!

LOL! Delicassy?!?!? Hee hee!

I heard that Spam is super-popular in Hawaii. Like, you can get spam stuff at mcdonalds kind of super-popular.

Anyway, the only thing that my korean family uses spam for is a kim-chee stew sorta thing. Spam makes it taste great.

RamboPreacher
10-03-2003, 07:47 AM
one of the main reasons I would like to vacation in hawaii is so that I can get some good http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/spam.gif cooking tequniqes. :)

nt2004
10-04-2003, 09:51 AM
stop ressurecting threads. this ones ancient

RamboPreacher
10-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by nt2004
stop ressurecting threads. this ones ancient And you are now a mod and they have changed the rules to not allow thread reurrections? Please show me the URL to the new rules.

And if it is a new rule, why wouldn't you just PM me instead of continuing to keep the thread alive?

http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/rofl.gif
:rolleyes:

UltimatePaintballer
10-04-2003, 10:42 AM
spam is pretty sick, do they give a list on how many people are in th fan club

nt2004
10-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
And you are now a mod and they have changed the rules to not allow thread reurrections? Please show me the URL to the new rules.

And if it is a new rule, why wouldn't you just PM me instead of continuing to keep the thread alive?

http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/rofl.gif
:rolleyes:

never said it was a rule i just was saying its kind of stupid to reply to a thread that everone has forgotten about. How'd you even find this one?

RamboPreacher
10-04-2003, 09:24 PM
sometimes I don't get on the boards for a while and the first page is new posts, yes, but sometimes when I get here and have some spare time, I go back a few pages so I don't miss anything. :)

besides, I like http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/spam.gif and I have found that most people that DON'T like it have never actually tried it, or they haven't tried it cooked correctly. (though I have eaten it right out of the can as well, and I can see how someone might not like it that way, even if I do.)

RamboPreacher
10-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by CrazyLad
meat=good
spam=bad

never had tryed spam never will. since http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/spam.gif=meat, then http://www.paintmagazine.com/cutecast/emoticons/spam.gif=good. Have you actually read the ingreadients, or even tried it? My guess is that you haven't. If you have and you choose to not like it based on personal choice and not hype and negative feedback from other uninformed people, then I appologize, adn we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether or not it is meat and whether or not it is good. :D

nt2004
10-04-2003, 09:42 PM
spam is good. Its just like a salty peice of ham. Sure it looks really nasty when you cook it but its good on crackers

heftylefty
10-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
I heard that Spam is super-popular in Hawaii. Like, you can get spam stuff at mcdonalds kind of super-popular.

actually joeyjoe, you are correct. i was born and grew up in Hawaii and all i did was eat spam musubi, fried rice w/ spam, regular fried spam with shoyu(soy sause for you american people), and in whatever i make. infact spam is so popular, you can get it at mcdonalds. they sell it in your breakfast meal(eggs, pancakes, rice, spam). All i can say is that spam is an important part of my weekly meal:).