PDA

View Full Version : top gun with technology modifiers... LONG

Richter
01-08-2003, 12:16 PM
I'll probably post this on a few other message boards (i put it on the tinker's guild already) to see what people think let me know: good idea or bad?
would you play it?

Top gun with handicap modifiers

When people play top gun I usually think that people win partly on skill and more on luck especially with all the small fields that top guns are usually played on. So I thought what could make it a little more fair especially for the person with the mechanical blowback, pump players, stock class, or even the person with sidearms like the pt extreme. So I thoughtof a top gun for everyone's taste of technology/style could play. It is call right now as the top gun with handicap technology modifier.

The idea here a person can play with their electronic tourney marker with a pods but a person that wins with stock class PGP would get more points because it subjectively takes more skill to win with a stock class gun.

Technology/equipment accumulative modifier system

For each equipment modifier a person gets, that person gets to take his score and multiply it by .x modifier and then add this to his score.
Example:
A person receives a .1 modifier to his score; if he max his game which is 100 points he would then figure out he score by taking 100 x .1 = 10 and then add 10 to the score of 100 which equals 110:

100 score
x
0.1 modifier
----

100 + 10 = 110 total score with modifier

I have thought of 5 modifier that are possibly accumulative; meaning one can be add to another

Current modifier
1. .1 200 rounds/loader or less
2. .1 non-tournament marker/mechanical blowback
3. .1 horizontal feed
4. .1 pump marker
5. .1 stock class

Definitions of modifiers
200 rounds/loader or less
To receive this modifier you need a loader full of paint or 200 rounds. If loader doesn't hold 200 rounds then a person can bring the rest onto the field. If a loader holds more than 200 rounds then that loader is allowed. (example 240 dominator and the old VL3000) A warped feed is considered an extension of a loader. No non factory loaders or modified loaders to hold extra rounds; exception is the addition of a JT speed collar or loaders fitted for warpedfeed.

Non-tourney marker/mechanical blowback
To receive this modifier you need a non-tournament marker or a mechanical blowback. A tournament marker is defined as any marker that has an electronic trigger, any mechanical closed bolt marker (i.e. cocker or typhoon), or any mechanical blowforward marker (i.e. automag, desert fox) (others can be added) All electronic blowbacks are considered tournament markers

Horizontal feed
To receive this modifier needs to have a horizontal tube parallel to the barrel for feeding paintballs. The feed tube can hold any number of paintballs.( maybe need a stipulation) A horizontal feed can be a stick feed hook to a direct feed marker. Horizontal feed can have a spring loading device or can use gravity (rock to feed) this modifier is negated if said marker has a laoder some how attached(such as a custom horizontal feed maker with a warp feed attached)

Pump marker
To receive this modifier the marker must be pump. Pump are defined as markers that need to pump or cocker manually to feed a paintball into the breach before firing. Pumps markers can have autotriggers. All pump markers are considered non-tournament marker and will automatically receive non-tournament modifier unless the pump use pneumatic assisted pumping or cocking (i.e. super snipers and some other custom creations)

Stock class
To receive this modifier the marker must provide the following:
Pump action, as defined in the modifier above
Single 12 gram CO2 powerlet only; No check valves
Requires the removal (unscrewing) knob or housing to change the powerlet
(No lever changers.)
Horizontal feed as in above modifier but with a 20 round maximum if has vertical/direct feed, 10 round maximum. (Any configuration that allows more than one paintball to be stacked over the breech feed opening.)
must be manually tilted to insert the paintball ( rock and cock) no spring feed devices

Accumulative modifiers:
Markers receive accumulative modifiers if they meet the requirements of that modifier:
Marker examples:
Angel with a halo = .1 modifier (200 round/hopper modifier)
M3 Dragon with revolution = .1 modifier (200round/hopper modifier)
Spyder with a 3 pod pack = .1 modifier (non-tournament marker/mechanical blowback)
VM 68 with VL2000 = .2 modifier (non-tournament marker and 200 round)
PT extreme = .3 modifier (non-tournament marker, 200 round, horizontal feed)
SL68II 200 round loader on co2 = .3 modifier (non-tournament, 200 round, pump)
Automag sidearm = .2 (200round, horizontal feed)
Sniper 2 on constant air with a PVC stick feed attached = .4 modifier
(200round, non-tournament, horizontal feed, pump)
ts1 select fire (semi only) loader adapter clip, vl revolution = .2 (200 round, non-tournament)
tippmann 98 warped feed with vl 3000 .2 (200 round/loader, non-tournament)
PGP = .5 modifier (200round, non-tournament, horizontal feed, pump and stock class)

Points matrix

Normal points:
(it's center flag top gun)
40 flag hang
30 flag pull
20 elimination
10 live player

Modifier
.0 .1 .2 .3 .4 .5
------------------------------------------------------
40 44 48 52 56 60 flag hang
30 33 36 39 42 45 flag pull
20 22 24 26 28 30 elimination
10 11 12 13 14 15 live player
--------------------------------------------------
100 110 120 130 140 150 Totals possible points for each modifier

2 of these tables would be on each score sheet for each player; all you have to do is circle the modifier and then circle

what each player did in the game

penalty points:

Wiping:
Consider fraudulent activity and ejection from the tournament with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

Playing on unobvious:
Automatic flag hang for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from minimum of 0 max of 100 points.

Playing on obvious:
Automatic flag hand for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty: min 20 unlimited max or ejection with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

Playing on blatantly obvious:
Automatic max for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty: min 50 unlimited max or ejection with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

extra ideas:

you don't need to use the same marker for every game; each game the modifier is figure out
maybe run each game twice in case of the lucky shot: kinda what challege cup does

Then use standard rules for the rest

BTAutoMag
01-08-2003, 01:01 PM
so if i went in a tourny with a brasseagle talon and just stayed in the back not shooting anyone. whould i win:)

cheetah256
01-08-2003, 02:46 PM
well...most likely not, if i remember right, top gun is 1v1...so sitting in the back would only work until the other guy found you : D

sounds good...i'd like to give it a try : )

Orange Crush
01-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, but I feel that the handy caps aren't really weighted properly...not sure how they need to be measured but I will give you an example.

Lets say you have 10 players, we'll assume its based on a points total for the competition and players are not eliminated for losses. Each player plays each of the other 10 players for a total 9 games each.

With that established lets assume that atleast one player is playing with no handicaps. A large hopper, Nitro-fed, electro marker, and atleast one player is playing with a stock class marker.

Now, at the end of the day, the first player with the electro marker has 9 wins, totaling out his points to 900. Now the stock class guy has only 6 but ties for first with 900.

Now maybe its just me, but a guy that plays with a marker that he has to pump and then reload every ten rounds and replenish CO2 numerous times in a single game, is still the best single player out there in my eyes, even if he only wins 4 of the nine games. I mean really, once you hear the hiss of a CO2 cartridge the game is pretty much over, so if you are a stock player that means you have to win in probably 20-30 rounds. If you didn't get shot while reloading.

Like I said, I like the handicap idea, but the only truly fair way to guage only the skill of the player is for them all to use the same guns...maybe a each year a manufacturer could sponsor the top gun competition and donate/loan markers for the game.

shartley
01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
I didn’t even read all the “rules and handicaps”, so that should indicate a problem with it right from the start. ;)

The idea of “Top Gun” is SIMPLE. The rules are pretty simple as well.

Once you start adding in all sorts of handicaps (or modifiers) and stuff, it takes away the spirit of the type of game. I agree that to make things truly fair, all players should be using the same “class” of marker. You could then have several classes of “top gun” games, each with their respective winner for that class… much like auto racing.

But the way I see it NOW, is that if you choose to enter into a “top gun” with a pump, or marker that does not shoot as fast as someone else’s…. that is YOUR choice.

I can appreciate the time you took to think all this out, but it just seems to complicate a pretty simple issue…. needlessly.

PsychoBaller
01-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I didn't take time to read it all.. but i did skim through most of it.

Thats why I just play and let da others worry about points, cause im illiterate when it comes to scoring.. hheh... call me lazy.. or just bad at math..

~da baller

Richter
01-08-2003, 08:28 PM
most of the meat is here:
Normal points:
(it's center flag top gun)
40 flag hang
30 flag pull
20 elimination
10 live player

Modifier
.0 .1 .2 .3 .4 .5
------------------------------------------------------
40 44 48 52 56 60 flag hang
30 33 36 39 42 45 flag pull
20 22 24 26 28 30 elimination
10 11 12 13 14 15 live player
--------------------------------------------------
100 110 120 130 140 150 Totals possible points for each modifier

depending on the marker and limited amount of paint the person decides you will recieve more points rst of it defines what are the modifiers

I just feel top gun as it stands, unless on a large field, is mostly luck right now. Making center flag 1 on 1 makes it more competative.

how about my penalties?

Wiping:
Consider fraudulent activity and ejection from the tournament with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

Playing on unobvious:
Automatic flag hang for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from minimum of 0 max of 100 points.

Playing on obvious:
Automatic flag hand for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty: min 20 unlimited max or ejection with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

Playing on blatantly obvious:
Automatic max for opposition: possibility of unsportsmanlike conduct penalty: min 50 unlimited max or ejection with possible ineligibility to other tournaments

PsychoBaller
01-08-2003, 10:44 PM
now i get it.....errr..... i think im gonna go read it again....

~da baller

FordPrefect
01-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Nice idea, the game doesn't really need such a big change. Its your choice if you want to play with a pump, and yes, it does take more skill. But it is impossible to put a value on the extra skill it takes. Does it take 150% of the skill that it takes to win an unlimited 1v1 as it does a stock 1v1? Maybe it takes 200% of the skill. Maybe 110% of the skill. You can't really meausre it.

HoppysMag
01-08-2003, 11:24 PM
eliminate the non tournement marker thing, you go over to PHOG and tell them a phantom isnt a tourney marker and your dead... being a tourney marker is a marker some one uses in a tournement.. be it an angel or a talon.

and your here is more how id have it.

1 .2 pump marker ( can be added with 2-4)
2 .4 Stick feed, spring
3 .5 Stick feed, vert
4 .6 Stick feed horizontal ( rock and cock)
5 .9 stock class

see stock class cannont be combined with stickfeed or pump, because to be stock it must be both ( + 12 gram)

but it can be pump with a horizontal stick feed and CA and still not get as many points as a stock player.

thoughts from a pump player... and dont forget its the person not the gun;)