PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Ideas on the Lion Logo

AGD
01-10-2003, 01:34 AM
AO Artists!!

We are kicking around the idea of combining the AO Hex logo with the AGD Lion logo. That way we only need one, LOL!!

So I started playing around with it but thought all of you might have some WAY better ideas. Here is what I cooked up as an idea, see what you can do with it. I will attach the photoshop file in the next post.

THANKS!!

AGD

dansim
01-10-2003, 01:35 AM
i like it

AGD
01-10-2003, 01:36 AM
photoshop file, vector lions and hex

AGD

PSD file (http://www.automags.org/~TomAGD/lionhex1.psd) 3.5 meg

gibby
01-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Hrm..I dunno..I'm not liking it very much. I think putting on the Hexes just seems so forced. I downloaded the file so maybe I can mess around with it. When I look at a logo...I try to see what it means. Seeing hexes can only be understood for those who might browse AO...otherwise, the idea is lost and the image just loses its meaning. But that's just my take.

pito189
01-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Sitting here looking at it in photoshop. I say the Lions are to proud to be changed. Leave them as is. I don't see any easy way of incorporating the Hex pattern of AO into the AGD logo with it still being the AGD logo.

BlackVCG
01-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Couldn't agree with Gibby more. Each logo is its own unique logo and used in their respective ways. Combining them seems forced and it ruins an already good logo that people who have no idea what AO is will see.

Bulldog
01-10-2003, 04:18 AM
Pito, gibby, Black, I couldn't agree more. The Lions are great as is.

shartley
01-10-2003, 07:15 AM
I agree as well….. each is fine as it is. And I think adding both together takes away from each of them.

Kevmaster
01-10-2003, 07:35 AM
i dont want to see a change in the AGD logo

Pand0ra
01-10-2003, 07:56 AM
You could maybe replace the shield with one made of hexagones. This way you would keep the overal design of the AGD logo.

@++

Creative Mayhem
01-10-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry Tom, but if you try to combine the two you are going to loose everything that the thwo of them represent on thier own. I say there is no need for change, and it appears to be unanimous at this point.

C Mayhem

ben_JD
01-10-2003, 10:25 AM
I like the Lion logo the way it is (without the hexes). I think that the Hexes are cool as backgrounds or accent, but not as a focal point.

AGD
01-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Ok, if you say not too we won't.

Thanks

AGD

Xerces
01-10-2003, 12:07 PM
stick with what works. people buy AGD for quality markers, not a fancy logo

Your signature image is too big at over 22,000 bytes. Fix it - cphilip

Phil
01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Well I am obviously in the minority but :) The old AGD logo is just that, OLD. The "quality always shoots strait" sounds lame. You definately need to bring your logo up the the 21st century. People dont like change. The majority will always advise you not to change. Just adding the AO grid is not going to get it.

If you want to stay with lions how about one styalized lion laying on his stomach with his paw on the letters AGD. *OR* It might be cool to have a lion/man (Bi-Pedal lion warrior type of dude) decked in some paintball attire holding the x-mag.

Phil

Phil
01-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Tom that was 9 people out of ######. It is commonplace for companies to update their logos. Why dont you start a poll.

BTAutoMag
01-10-2003, 01:03 PM
put that logo on the box:)

yea i think two separate ones are better... one on each soulder

spazzed
01-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Gonna agree with the crowd here.

Sporting an AGD logo is always fun, and it's loyalty, as well...

Sporting an AO logo is different. It's like a big family, ya know? Most people won't know what it means, but to those of us who do, it actually means something...

Keep 'em seperate, or I'm selling my E and getting a Spyder ;) :cool:

All combined your signature is over the limit plus the multiple images rule too - cphilip

cphilip
01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Just don't use any of them scary Green Turtles is all I ask...

;)

BTAutoMag
01-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by spazzed
Keep 'em seperate, or I'm selling my E and getting a Spyder ;) :cool:

don't EVER say that in front of me again

Evil Bob
01-10-2003, 02:14 PM
My submission...

...For some strange reason did not attach :( and there is no option in Edit to attach a file nor remove my post...

-Evil Bob

Evil Bob
01-10-2003, 02:24 PM
I see, it was too big for the attachment limitations... resized it to fit.

-Evil Bob

FalconGuy016
01-10-2003, 02:59 PM
I actually think them seperate would be better, or a new logo alltogether

Miscue
01-10-2003, 03:18 PM
I agree... new logo altogether.

The lions are old fashioned... although it works well on tavern dart board cases. BTW... I'd love to have an AGD dart board lion case. :)

No more dart board logo... need a paintball logo... that appeals to kids, teens, young adults.

It's gotta be "cool," "hip," "jive with the times," ya know what I'm sayin' daddio? :)

Heck, even old man Nelson got this figured out with his Anarchy line. :)

cphilip
01-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Miscue is a Hipster Dufus.

:D

PsychoBaller
01-10-2003, 03:52 PM
attempt to make a giant X in the backround using those Hex tiles... but its to hard, er rather.. im to lazy to attempt it anymore over 30min of trying....

~da "sorry" baller

gibby
01-10-2003, 04:03 PM
A new logo would be nice...however, I don't think it would be a good idea to make a new logo out of the old one. Also, we shouldn't limit ourselves to a particular product within the logo. Putting the "latest" stuff within the logo now will only result in redesigning another logo in the future when newer stuff are out. How often that happens all depends on how quickly the technology evolves. It needs to be simple yet effective enough to grab people's attention. Simplicity can go a long way(/me points to the Automag).

I wished I could give suggestions, but I don't claim to be a graphic design artist. But I'm sure there's plenty around here who are and can do a great job of it! :)

Darkstorm
01-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Since I have not been around as long at AO or in paintball. I have not had the exposure to AO or the logo. Here are my thoughts. I just bought a mag. It is more important that I (or someone who does not own a mag) like the Logo than a 15 yr mag owner.

The old AO logo is fine for a formal LOGO (with the exception I would like to see a graphical cleanup of the lions). BUT, the Formal Logo is also a bit complicated for web based communications. In fact, on most sites in is hard to "notice" the extra words and such. It lacks characteristics that make it stand out and the extra graphics detail muddle it compared to other companies; exactly what you don't want to happen.

This page show what I mean very well, even the AGD home page suffers from this some. http://www.actionvillage.com/paintball-guns.html.

One thing to remember, MANY people do not have perfect vision, so something hard to see is not seen.

I would say have a second Logo that is the "Cool" logo. But tie it to the Lions and the old logo. For example pick up just the words AirgunDesign Inc and put a Lion paw print behind it. Or slash marks like a lion swiped at it behind it. The PAW or SLASH marks then could be used as a branding mark on product or even on the pocket of a t-shirt.

It is an unfortunate fact in this world that good engineering does not sell products, marketing does (engineering makes them like it once they have it).

Honestly, take a bunch of logo's (yours and competitors) around to people who don't know paintball and ask them to pick one. I don't think you wold like the results.

(That Hex thing does not convey any meaning, kill it.)

Darkstorm -> New mag owner, new xvalue owner, about to be stoned by AO board members, but I'll die happy (First, xvalue in hell).

Miscue
01-10-2003, 04:12 PM
How about a gangsta/thug theme... with the gothic lettering and all. j/k :)

I think something as simple as the letters AGD in a sharp looking font... and some minor artistic dress-up stuff... would be sufficient. Heck, or even AGD's pre-existing target logo that they don't seem to use much... I think is better than the lions.

cphilip
01-10-2003, 04:24 PM
gangster goomba dufus.... :cool:

la690
01-10-2003, 04:31 PM
you deff. have to stick with the lion theme. no doubt. but what if there were just two lion faces on each side that were more modern looking than the old school lions. then AGD or Airgun Designs would be in between the faces in some neat-o looking writing and the whole thing could be in front of a hex. idk, i dont have photo shop and im not compu-literate so i cant show you what im thinking. thanks.

Hexis
01-11-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm working on something similar. I'll link to it in a bit.

Clare
01-11-2003, 04:37 PM
I do agree the the current logo should be modernized in some way to appeal to younger people. But, you can always go with this one (thank havoc for it) :p

Hexis
01-11-2003, 05:01 PM
In that one shouldn't you replace "Quality" with "CaPoEiRa"? I think it would fit with the overall theme.

Hexis
01-11-2003, 05:24 PM
How does this look to folks:

http://www.visi.com/~mjb/Paintball/Hexis-AGDlogo-v2.jpg

PsychoBaller
01-11-2003, 06:10 PM
I dunno AGD... I kinda like that one by Hexis..... all deep and mysterious... but overall Cool

nice job

~da baller

Darkstorm
01-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Very NICE Hexis....The Lion would make good stand alone items that could be stamped or lazered on to a gun. Like on the battery pack of the x-mag.

My 2 cents...Scrap the fill except behind the lions (maybe straight black instead, also), because it make the logo a lot easier to use on websites, letterhead, everything. Filled letters would show better (maybe the current yellow). Like your colors, too.

I'll take a t-shirt of one of the Lions heads in xxxl. LOL Really dude, nice job. Lines are clean and COOL.

Xerces
01-11-2003, 07:15 PM
i really like hexis' logo. who says you can't ahve two logos? if i had to pick one, definately go with the classic

la690
01-11-2003, 08:01 PM
i am loving that thing. i thought this post had died but then.. BAM, curtain call. sweet. mega props.

26 posts and counting. yessss

Hexis
01-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
My 2 cents...Scrap the fill except behind the lions (maybe straight black instead, also), because it make the logo a lot easier to use on websites, letterhead, everything. Filled letters would show better (maybe the current yellow). Like your colors, too.

The extra stuff is just there to give it some depth. The source art is _very_ high res. I could generate a lot of version from it. I'll work on a simple version, that will scale down nicley, for webpages and such.

personman
01-11-2003, 08:30 PM
The lions r0x0rz.. but I also like the one Hexis made..
So many choices :p

Hexis
01-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Sooo slow. Working on a 12mp image take a while on my machine. I have some other versions in the works. I'll link to em later tonight.

painball
01-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Tom, Hexis is way to go with the logo.;) :)

Jonneh
01-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Repost from ages ago:
http://www.digitalbrain.com/jonneh/AGD.jpg
http://www.digitalbrain.com/jonneh/AGD2.jpg

rickez10
01-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Tom,
Lions logo presents a classic theme. Hex logo more hi-tech. don't really mesh well.
I really like Hexis' idea though.

rick

Hexis
01-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Here is a slightly cleaner (Airgun Design Inc text) version, in 3 colors including background. It could scale down a bit more if the hexes behind the text ever lion-less. To make even smaller use plain hexes, it would still be recognizable clearly. The hex w/ lion could be used alone as well.

http://www.visi.com/~mjb/Paintball/Hexis-AGDlogo-v2-simple.jpg

skirts
01-12-2003, 02:41 AM
another idea... thoughts?

FESTUS33
01-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Hexis
How does this look to folks:

http://www.visi.com/~mjb/Paintball/Hexis-AGDlogo-v2.jpg

Me Like's it!
Rick:eek:

Gitaroo Man
01-12-2003, 01:40 PM
yeah, i like it

Sooky
01-12-2003, 02:55 PM
I really like Hexis' design. AGD has many new products out; it needs a new image to go with it. The old lion one is nice, but I remember when I first started paintball and flipping through adds in magazines... the lions just do not stand out and wont catch the eye of a new player compared to some of the other more flashy ones.:) I think the old logo will keep people believing in the stereotypes of 'mags, whereas a new logo will say "we've changed, we no longer chop, we have high level markers" etc.

Hexis
01-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by RogueFactor
The hex isnt positioned correctly. Fix the positioning(rotate about 15*), and I think you have a winner.

Could you be a lil more specific? The current set of 6 hexes have the side edges exactly vertical. Or are you talking about a different design?

FESTUS33
01-12-2003, 03:09 PM
I think what he mean's is in the AO logo
the tops of the hexes are horizontal,
not the sides vertical.:confused:

Clare
01-12-2003, 04:12 PM
not the best but I tried (they look a little "crude" but I didnt spend too much time on it) :p
http://clare.acky.net/lionhex2.gif

rickez10
01-12-2003, 04:45 PM
nice work,
yours and Hexis' seem to be the best so far. both are a nice update while still retaining enough of the orig. theme.
rick

Mango
01-12-2003, 05:10 PM
ROAR! :p

Gitaroo Man
01-12-2003, 06:09 PM
LOL, go with Mango's!!!! w00t!

Seriously though, I like Hexis and Capos

JadedT
01-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Another design for submission. Please comment in this thread. All the logos look great so far.

Edit: How about using a reasonable size for your images? There is absolutely no reason to attach a 1800x1600 image.

Gunga

Smoke
01-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Hexis man, that really rocks. AGD should laser engrave that on the X-Mag. I'd say, for new products, use the Hexis logo, but for the company, stick with the classic logo.

JadedT
01-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Sorry to all for the large post. Had enough problems trying to get AGD's 3.5MB file down to 350kb. Forgot about the pixels. Thanks for adjusting it Gunga.

FESTUS33
01-13-2003, 01:27 AM
HEXIS,HEXIS,HEXIS.:eek:

Smoke
01-13-2003, 03:23 AM
How's this? Nothing fancy, seeing as I'm art challenged. It needs to be adjusted, I would do it, but my computer has "quality issues" when it comes to resizing and adjusting. If I do it, it'll look like crap, all pixilated. If someone can re-adjust it, I'll dump the bigger pic for the smaller one.

Xerces
01-13-2003, 08:14 AM
the problem i have with that logo is the lions head looks really weird the way you cut/pasted it. also, the hexagons are turned the wrong way

Hexis
01-13-2003, 10:58 AM
I'll rotate the Hexes to be consistant with the AO logo. Though I think I like it better the way it is. Can't tell for sure until we see it.

I'm also going to create the lion head in a vector format so it will scale well. After I get that done I'll generate some new versions. Here is stuff I will change/add:

Hexes rotated 30°
Dark Blue Hexes/Dark Text Outline/Yellow Text
Lion Hex Only (a couple versions)
Very small version with simple hexes.

Anything else folks would like to see?

Thordic
01-13-2003, 11:55 AM
I think Hexis's would look bad if you rotated it. Right now the lions are symmetrical, but if you rotated it, they'd be kinda off. Looks better like it is.

Hexis
01-13-2003, 01:09 PM
I'll make the lions look right. They are just a layer in the source.

Smoke
01-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Actually, that's the original position of the lion's head. I would have liked to emboss it or someting cool, but my program dosen't have anything cool like that. I'll rotate the hexes a bit. I was up till 3 working on it, so I must have accidently turned the hexes the wrong way.

Smoke
01-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Alright, how's this version? I'd still like to do someting different with the lion head though.....

cheetah256
01-13-2003, 04:02 PM
dunno...just something i worked up real quick...

PBpunk
01-14-2003, 05:18 PM
My 2 cents:
I am a big fan of CaPoEiRa's (its kinda what I pictued in my head when i read Tom's proposal)
I also like Hexes it cool and new
I never had a problem with the old one though. It has always been a symbol of quality to me.
Another idea is to use the old banner somewhere I kinda like it.

Devil
01-14-2003, 06:20 PM
I liked Hexis' design...

Capoiera's was cool too though...

but I'd say, stick with the original, or Hexis'.

Either way...I'm liking it!

Jerhew
01-15-2003, 02:08 AM
ok I'm torn...I started to post this and gave it some thought... now I really don't know how i feel...but i left everything i started to write, basically I managed to see both sides of the arguement...im so indecisive:

i think it might be cool to update it...maybe make it a little more catchy for the eyes...i like hexis's a lot (except that the hexes should be rotated...as already mentioned)
i like Cap's first one, with that slick font
with one minor change
instead of the lions on each side
why not slide the word "Designs" over a little and put a larger lion head(like the one inside the hexes from hexis's design) in the middle, between all the hexes...either that or lose the lion altogether for that logo

my only critique of hexis's design is that one of the complaints of the original was that you couldnt see the details very well, i think that one would have the same problem...it looks really cool...though...maybe the laser engraving idea would be cool... but it's not good for websites

i think you should keep your original logo around also though...
think car company logos...blue oval...bowtie...ram...
these are things that you just don't change...
no matter how 'unhip' it is...
it has become a part of agd heritage...you can't just forget about your roots
it's like the difference between classic rock and pop...
you're either going to be the rolling stones or nsync...
who's been around longer? who will probably be around longer? (ok i ran out of cliches :D )

Dern
01-15-2003, 02:30 AM
I like Festus' it rocks.

Dern
01-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Here is a base for someone if they want to build on it...

I have a couple ideas for it:

1) in each hexagon put a pic of each AGD gun, so it goes Automag, Minimag, RT PRO, RT, E-mag, X-mag, (6) and lion in middle

2) just lion in middle

3) have paint splats on it

4) (my favorite) have a picture of a lion shooting at you in the middle. I mean "At you" by like a down-the-barrel point of view, so the end of the barrel is like in your face, and it can be like an X-mag that the lion is shooting.

I gotta go to bed cuz i have school tomorrow, so maybe I'll follow up on one of these ideas.

Dern
01-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Forgot to attach the pic...

Here it is:

FESTUS33
01-15-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Dern
I like Festus' it rocks.

Not Mine!!
It just came along for the ride, When I quoted Hexis.
That's his original design.
Rick :eek:

JAM
01-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Well, i like the idea of modernizing the logo, but 1. simple logos are usually better- easy and quick to recognize, and 2. the lion and the ribbon logo are not too compatible with a "high-tech" look.

-j

here are 2 of my thoughts:

shartley
01-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by JAM
Well, i like the idea of modernizing the logo, but 1. simple logos are usually better- easy and quick to recognize, and 2. the lion and the ribbon logo are not too compatible with a "high-tech" look.

-j

here are 2 of my thoughts:
Honesty... I like these the best out of what has been posted..... so far. ;)

PBpunk
01-15-2003, 03:59 PM
ok
now i think JAM's takes the cake

DiRTyBuNNy
01-15-2003, 04:01 PM
JAM's design is beautiful...they would look beautiful on the back of one of Capo's shirt designs (or even on the front)

JAM
01-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the response guys,
I'm actually working on a few other ones, but it got difficult to work on these logos and pretend to do "real" work at the same time, I'll get to some more tonight!

-J

Vendetta
01-15-2003, 04:48 PM
I've always liked the lions. How about those more stylized. Here small image of one.

JAM
01-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Here's a vers w/some lions:

-jason

JAM
01-15-2003, 06:40 PM
The hexagons don't need to mean anything to people who don't know about AO, it could be an eye, it could be a paintball, etc.

-j

Clare
01-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I love Jam's first design :)

Miscue
01-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Dude, those lions are WAY better. I like.

TAG
01-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Got my vote JAM...EXCELLENT work !
"Everything must change" as the song says.....so why not work on a new modern design ;)

Remember who we are marketing to now....bright shiney colors and slogans that insult the "other" guys seem to attract them....LOL Just kidding.

JAM...any chance we can get some PSD's ?
If we can, bob@TheAngelGuy.com is a great place to send them.

Crack_Monkey
01-15-2003, 11:19 PM
There all pretty... lot's of pretty designs....

Personal Favorites though have to Capoeria and Jam's....

Hex are nice too!

I say we have a poll

Dern
01-16-2003, 02:22 AM
JAM! OMG! His are the best... and Festus' rendition of Hexis'

Sinistarr
01-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Of them all, I like Jam's designs best overall.

http://www.intr-networks.com/Paintball/agd1.jpg
http://www.intr-networks.com/Paintball/agdlions.jpg

We could use these as versions of the same theme. Use the ones on top for stickers to go anywhere. The round design can be used in smaller applicatoins or as an accent to the lion logo for advertising and articles, use them as icons.

Of the two it is hard to decide, but I like the lions the best. We gotta keep the lions! Both are excellent!!!

Way to go Jam!

G

JAM
01-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks a lot!

i agree we need to keep the lions for the "formal" logo- it is very recognizable as the AGD logo, we can still update it a bit though. BUT, just the round icons would make sweet stickers or even jewels for grips or the like.

I'm working on another, more to come.
-J

JAM
01-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Another... while I was thinking about what else to do with the lions..

-J

TecnoRobo
01-16-2003, 03:47 PM
i like it! nice job jam!
shiny, clean, and downright overall nice looking
i think we may have a winner ;)

Smoke
01-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Jeez! What program did you use? And how the heck did you make it look so good???

Clare
01-16-2003, 04:41 PM
I like these best
http://www.intr-networks.com/Paintball/agd1.jpg

Even if they aren't used for a logo, I would like to use this logo on a later agd girl shirt design...with Jam's permission ofcourse :)

JAM
01-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey Guys, thanks again... Here's yet another with the new "X" theme.

As for me, Graphic Design is my day job, I'm the Art Director at an Ad Agency in Northern Virginia. I used Illustrator and Photoshop.

-J

here:

Smoke
01-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Ah, a professional!! That explains it!!!!:D

TecnoRobo
01-16-2003, 04:54 PM
well we now know who will win all the photoshop contests and such...

that is if he still stays active and his computer isnt attacked by a virus

hehehe... jk btw

Will Wood
01-16-2003, 04:56 PM
The hex one with the lions is best one IMO. Great work.

Sinistarr
01-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Jam, I really like the X design also for that line of items...BEAUTY!
I also like the jewel idea! just what I was thinking, but couldn't get my thoughts to words. I was too sleepy ;)

G

AGD
01-16-2003, 05:37 PM
I really like Jam's design too!

We were laughing about how it looked like eyeballs so this is what we came up with. Not Tk on crack, its TKonAO!!

AGD

manike
01-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by AGD
I really like Jam's design too!

We were laughing about how it looked like eyeballs so this is what we came up with. Not Tk on crack, its TKonAO!!

AGD

That's cool :) :cool:

Smoke
01-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Funny stuff, Tom!! Put that on a shirt!!! LOL!!!!

AutomagRT1483
01-16-2003, 06:51 PM
I vote for this one:)

AutomagRT1483
01-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Oops...forgot to attach it

mag-hatter
01-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by JAM
Hey Guys, thanks again... Here's yet another with the new "X" theme.

As for me, Graphic Design is my day job, I'm the Art Director at an Ad Agency in Northern Virginia. I used Illustrator and Photoshop.

-J

here:

that x looks too much like the xxx movie x's. try making them look different or tom might have some copyright problems :(

well, i dont have photoshop, but as a suggestion on this picturehttp://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=602511
how about the lion maine (sp?) fades into hexagons, as well as the circle that says "airgun designs" that'd look tight.

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-16-2003, 07:26 PM
this one !!!!!!!!!!

Trigger_Happy
01-16-2003, 08:52 PM
JAM'S lion's would be a reasonable move for AGD. With that updated logo, AGD would get LOTS of attention from all the kiddies looking for something new for the rents to buy for them ;)

At the same time, we wouldn't have to ditch the lions that represent quality in my mind's eye. Props to JAM:)

JAM
01-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the warm reception everyone... This is the coolest bunch of people I've met on the net.

And, speaking of "receptions", I am travelling up to Boston ths weekend to get married and will be on my honeymoon until Jan 26th. So, until then, keep the logo ideas flowing and I'll see what i can come with when i get back...

Oh, and if we all like something I do... well, my price will be reasonable- I'm sure Tom has an X-mag or 2 lying around just for this sort of thing. Or maybe at least an xValve?

;) LOL

"see" you all in a week.

-Jason

FooTemps
01-16-2003, 10:47 PM
wow... I'm truely speechless @ JAM's works so far.

JAM = teh Awesome

Crack_Monkey
01-16-2003, 11:00 PM
How about some elves on the logo? Magical ones if possible...

madmike85
01-16-2003, 11:13 PM
hey, i havnt been on Ao long but i happen to like the Ao and AGD logo's just the way they are, i think it would be cool to keep the AGD logo the way it is. it has been there for a long time and it tells what i think u belive "because quality always shoots straight" that logo is like what u are all about.that is why i went mag. KEEP THE LOGO'S THE WAY THEY ARE!

Crack_Monkey
01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
"AGD unveils a new upgrade that virtually eliminates chopping with any of their markers! Its like each ball is loaded with tender care by magical elves"

http://www.geocities.com/lilsprite99/magicelves.jpg

:D :D :D

Vendetta
01-17-2003, 10:41 AM
And, speaking of "receptions", I am travelling up to Boston ths weekend to get married and will be on my honeymoon until Jan 26th. So, until then, keep the logo ideas flowing and I'll see what i can come with when i get back...

Sorry, I mean congrats:D

Welcome to the club;)

FESTUS33
01-17-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm starting to really like JAM's logo/W Lion's.
The other two look pretty neat as well, but is it
just me or does the white one look a little too
much like a "SOCCER MOM" sticker.

Anyway I just noticed JAM has like 12 post's and 8
of them are on this thread,
Great way to get started on AO!!

AGDJon
01-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Yeah Jam's rockin'.

welcom to AO and congrats on getting married :)

Gunga
01-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Here's some I did a long time ago for this other "What do you think of this reworked Lion Logo" thread: http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=192579

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=189704

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=190209

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=192579

pito189
01-17-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm a big fan of that first one Gunga. Looks well... COOL!

cris8762
01-17-2003, 06:32 PM
i like most of JAM's and Capo's

those were great! put those on tshirts! i'd buy a couple of them

FESTUS33
01-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey Tom
It look's like it's time for an,
OFFICIAL AGD POLL
To settle this matter
Rick
:eek:

AGD
01-18-2003, 12:54 AM
How about instead of sayign Airgun Designs the eyeball logo says Automags.org? That thing keeps growing on me

AGD

FESTUS33
01-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by AGD
How about instead of sayign Airgun Designs the eyeball logo says Automags.org? That thing keeps growing on me

AGD

Are you looking at using multiple logo's,
I still think the formal Airgun Design's logo
should have the lion's.
The secondary logo could be done as Automags.org'
Do the black and blue soccer ball as the AO logo.
Like I said it might be time for a vote.

rickez10
01-18-2003, 01:31 AM
outstanding Jam...looks like a 3-way race
rick

Sinistarr
01-18-2003, 01:37 AM
Looks like we are going to have to wait a week to see what he can come up with for changes. He is getting married.

I'm looking forward to what other ideas he has to show... :)

G

FESTUS33
01-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Sinistarr
Looks like we are going to have to wait a week to see what he can come up with for changes. He is getting married.

I'm looking forward to what other ideas he has to show... :)

G

AAHHHH!!
But would'nt it be a sweet wedding present for a new
AO'er, to come back and find out you did the best piece
of art and it became the new logo for a company and
product you truly believe in.
Of course I'm just figuring JAM's design's will win.
I still like HEXIS design, but I would definitly vote
for JAM's

Darkstorm
01-18-2003, 08:52 AM
In the last logo selection I was in; the artists took the favorite parts and blended them. It worked well. It seems that people like the Hexis lion engraving and Jam's format/art...any chance of seeing a blend of a lion hex (Or maybe just an engraved lion) and Jam's ideas?

Personally I perfer a lion concept involved in the art, it can be cool (but still old school) but you don't just go "what is that". (I still don't get the hex's...LOL) But then again, I already own a mag.

Crack_Monkey
01-18-2003, 12:02 PM
... put a poll on for these things I mean there all great! JAM's desings are incredible!!! It be great if AGD keep'd the original logo but you can really let these slide by with out being given any kind of chance... I wouldn't mind seeing one of these desing on a shirt or other form one way or another there great!!!

-C monkey

Sinistarr
01-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FESTUS33

AAHHHH!!
But would'nt it be a sweet wedding present for a new
AO'er, to come back and find out you did the best piece
of art and it became the new logo for a company and
product you truly believe in.
Of course I'm just figuring JAM's design's will win.
I still like HEXIS design, but I would definitly vote
for JAM's

That would make a great wedding gift, however, you could also be missing out on seeing what other designs he does have that are just not finished yet. He mentioned that he had some othere ideas too. I am looking forward to seeing what else he has up his sleeve.

G

logamus
01-18-2003, 06:28 PM
i think jam's ideas are awesome, but i really dig hex's lion head hex design. i second darkstorms idea of incorporating the lion head hex with jam's logo.

and gunga, that first banner would look awesome on a sticker or tshirt.

Smoke
01-20-2003, 06:51 PM
I agree, Jam's is the best, but you don't have to gun on what we've done. I don't see you making anything, pal. Keeps your rude, immature comments to yourself.

shartley
01-20-2003, 06:53 PM
I see someone with a short life on AO.:rolleyes:

1stdeadeye
01-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Jam's really rocks.

I think we have a winner!:D

la690
01-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Capo's Hex's and Jam's are great. i cannot decide. this is awesome. i do like the idea of putting Hexi' and Jam's together, that would be mega cool.

silenttype
01-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Stick with the old one everyone knows it and its still cool as hell

mikekpball
01-22-2003, 04:57 PM
you should make the lions hold classic mags!!!

Hemorrhage
01-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Is is just me? I always thought the phrase was "Because quality shoots straight, always." Because quality always shoots straight sounds like a nice... fragment. Maybe instead of keeping the same one we should come up with a new one? Since we're changing the logo and all. Change the phrase. And yeah quality shoots straight, but that's mainly up to your barrel...

Hexis
01-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Read along the banner, it's pretty clear. ;)

Hemorrhage
01-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Yeah if you read along the banner, but it's a fragment. Because quality always shoots straight..what? I was just stating that anyone with some decent english skills would read it the way I did, and not like a fragment.

Hexis
01-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Well, if you want to get really picky, use all the words there, not just the banner.

"Airgun Designs Inc., because quality always shoots straight."

Which is actually the word mark that is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

MINIMAG4LIFE
01-24-2003, 09:28 PM
To me it seems you should lose the lions and the quality always shoots straight logos. then make the airgun designs logo like the minimag and automag stickers that come with the markers, then add the hexes in the back ground with silver, red and black colors. And maybe a new slogan underneath. whenever i see an old agd sticker on a bumper i get a warm fuzzy feeling. thanks for reading my suggestion

big E kingpin
01-25-2003, 11:47 AM
lions people these need lions

Smoken
01-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Jam's logo's are all pretty good, but I haven't seen one yet that makes me wanna go, "That's the one!" They are definately going in the right direction though.

On a side note, if Gunga puts that first of his designs on a black t-shirt (small on front big on back) I would definately want one. That thing's cool. The other two remind me too much of the opening credits for "Third Rock from the Sun"

MINIMAG4LIFE
01-26-2003, 04:20 AM
that's not bad at all I like it

Johnny_Reb
01-26-2003, 04:25 PM
sig test.

LittlePaintballBoy
01-26-2003, 11:24 PM
i think the old logo is great i wouldnt change anything

Shirow
01-27-2003, 11:07 AM
The logos by JAM kick butt. Use 'em!!!

gibby
01-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Shirow
The logos by JAM kick butt. Use 'em!!!
I must second that! JAM rules!

JAM
01-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Well, I'm back and married and rested!

Thanks for allthe comments.
Well, I would have posted earlier, but Gibby and AutomagRT1483 took up some of my time with requests... ;) I really love doing this stuff, so if anyone has something they want me to try, let me know..

Anyway, here is an AO logo with the "eyeball" as Tom requested- I couldn't refuse him. ;)

Hexis- i am working on something along the lines of your logo, just having trouble coming up with the lion that looks good... keep the ideas flowing it's all about collaboration!

thanks, J

JAM
01-28-2003, 12:23 PM
I can't choose a color...
-j

gibby
01-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by JAM
Well, I'm back and married and rested!

Thanks for allthe comments.
Well, I would have posted earlier, but Gibby and AutomagRT1483 took up some of my time with requests... ;) I really love doing this stuff, so if anyone has something they want me to try, let me know..

Hehe! Wow! CONGRATS!! I had no idea you got married recently! Also, thanks again for your time...guys and gals, wait till you see what he did for TooDamnSweet and I. Hopefully when all is done, I'll post pictures. :)

WiseGuyMag
01-28-2003, 02:09 PM
I edited ur Furturistic lion idea... hope you don't mind. Tell me what you think.

JAM
01-28-2003, 03:35 PM
wiseguymag-

I certainly don't mind that you edited it.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, all my comments are what my professors in school called "constructive criticism".

2 thoughts- 1. the "airgun designs" is hard to see and read, and 2. if we're going for a hitech or modern look, then the old english script for the tagline is out of place.

Just my 2 cents.

can't seem to get that darn lion head "engraved"...

... yet.

-J

WiseGuyMag
01-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the Tips JAM!
I am 15 years old so I don't know much about editing I was just throwing a idea out lolz

WiseGuyMag
01-29-2003, 03:16 PM
K I re edited it.. took ur advice but I still suck at graphics :(

JAM
01-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Much better, man...

That's exactly what i meant!
cool.

-j

JAM
01-29-2003, 06:50 PM
... well, here's the AGD logo i was working on when the AGD Kids and the AGD Pride came up... the lion is almost there.

-Jason

JAM
01-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Oh, heck, let's just throw the hexes behind this one too...

thoughts? suggestions? Tom?

-jason

WiseGuyMag
01-29-2003, 11:12 PM
I like the one with the Hex's more :)

Cryer
01-30-2003, 02:25 AM
JAM-
The one with the hexes is awesome!
Please don't take offense to this (I understand how you may feel, your work being constantly 'critiqued' {sp?} by those with less skill) but, the one thing that bothers me about the lion (I know, I know)is that it looks to 'soft'. If you could make it look more muscular or 'cut' some how...? harder angles or maybe a different pose.
Also, I like the spheres. What about putting the spherical hexes behind the lion?
Would that be too cluttered?

edweird
01-30-2003, 05:47 AM
I did not much like the "quality shoots straight" font on jams last one of these, So I edited in one I liked better.

also did it so I can get it put on my AO Jersey :P

JAM
01-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Please,
no offense taken... I've gotten ripped apart in critiques back in school more times than I can remember, i agree with the "softness".. I need a tougher looking lion... we'll see.

-jason

Originally posted by Cryer
JAM-
The one with the hexes is awesome!
Please don't take offense to this (I understand how you may feel, your work being constantly 'critiqued' {sp?} by those with less skill) but, the one thing that bothers me about the lion (I know, I know)is that it looks to 'soft'. If you could make it look more muscular or 'cut' some how...? harder angles or maybe a different pose.
Also, I like the spheres. What about putting the spherical hexes behind the lion?
Would that be too cluttered?

WiseGuyMag
01-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey I made the last one !! :D i feel so unapreciated :( j/k

JAM
01-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, this thread is gettin way long... anyone still read it?

so, i redrew the lion... a little sharper, a little meaner...

thoughts? I think it's pretty much there now. my last one looked way soft.

-J

AGD
01-30-2003, 09:35 PM
The lion is too wimpy, how about having just the head with its jaws bitting the top of the G??

JaM please also make one without the lion on top. I am thinking they would look good on the jersies.

AGD

shartley
01-31-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by AGD
The lion is too wimpy, how about having just the head with its jaws bitting the top of the G??

JaM please also make one without the lion on top. I am thinking they would look good on the jersies.

AGD
Agreed…..

The lion went from an overweight Simba to Scar. ;)

Here is a question that has been nagging at me….. Does AGD need to put the same lion logo (or even lion) in everything they do? Many other companies use several variants of their logo as long as it maintains one or more of the same elements. That way, if you had a fixed font that remained the same, you could use it in many ways without losing the branding. And you could add lions in the design at will as more of a mascot.

This would leave you open to even market the lion as the main element in some applications as well… such as sweatshirts and stuff (was thinking it would be cool to have ADG half gloves).

It would still allow AGD to continue to use the old logo on things, and even phase it out over a VERY long time if need be (although I would advise not getting rid of it all together).

JAM
01-31-2003, 10:13 AM
Here it is.

-Jason

Originally posted by AGD

AGD

pito189
01-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Put a tail on that lion, and uncock it's wrist it looks kinda homosexual, going good so far though JAM.

Maybe one with some fangs showing, and a sharp chisled body.

JAM
01-31-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, yeah, the tail makes a big difference... looks a lot better.
I don't see it as "homo" though...

am working on a more violent one.

-j

pito189
01-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Well I guess not "homo", but akward looking. Maybe define the borders a little bit more around his paw.

Dayspring
02-01-2003, 05:38 PM
AGD-Europe is using one of your designs already Jam. Way cool

http://store.securehosting.com/stores/sh200074/shophome.php

Sinistarr
02-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Wow, that was quick. Didn't know we voted yet... I do like that one though...

G

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 07:34 AM
heres my starter

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 09:50 AM
another, i like this one too, go figure.

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 10:22 AM
this i would want on my jersey, but thats justme.

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Hows this?

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 11:34 AM
other approach

pito189
02-03-2003, 11:40 AM
I like the ones with the lions, how about centering the lions over the logo? Maybe make them solid instead of transparent.

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 11:57 AM
pk pito im on it
i ned slep first
didnt selpp last night

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
another shot..

ShooterJM
02-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Keep up the good work guys! Theres some cool stuff in here!

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Simpler Design..

JAM
02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
New Direction...

-jason

Gotenks
02-03-2003, 03:03 PM
JAM's work is awesome!

JAM, how much do your services cost? What could you do with this? (Rapture Racing logo.... it's my concept.. but I can't work with photoshop to make a clean looking one if my life depended on it... its 2 R's, mirroed)

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 03:25 PM
The winner should recieve an xmag...hahah jk..the winner should get something though

PzYcO
02-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Another version...

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 04:46 PM
here you go. I think I need a job too much time on my hands

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 04:47 PM
and here is a more feasable one depending on what tk can do with colors. More colors costs more usualy.

JAM
02-03-2003, 05:00 PM
-j

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 05:22 PM
for the hype fans.

davidb
02-03-2003, 08:53 PM
P8ntballerAK, I would suggest having the the "Air" in the top right and the "Designs" in the bottom left if you want to go with that design. Having "Designs" sticking out to the side like that is just awkward, and it would be more centered if it was starting from the left.

DeathscytheSK
02-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Hey JAM, what classes did u take or what did u learn to get to the career of what you have now? I wanna do Graphic Design and Website design as a career when I get older and I don't know what I would need to know what classes to take or or whatever to be able to get a cool career like that.

I already have experience with website design, I just want to get better and hopefully learn how to do some of the stuff you are doing.

P8ntballerAK
02-03-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by davidb
P8ntballerAK, I would suggest having the the "Air" in the top right and the "Designs" in the bottom left if you want to go with that design. Having "Designs" sticking out to the side like that is just awkward, and it would be more centered if it was starting from the left.

I tried that david and it looked horrible.

JAM
02-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Well, the truth is that computers are great, but you have to learn good old fashioned art skills.

Not to bore everyone with my story, but you did ask- so my basic story went like this- lots and lots and lots of art classes (drawing/painting/etc) growing up and through college. I got a job in early highschool at a photolab doing retouching with photoshop version 2.5 (no layers).. I got that job because I had some art talent- anyone can learn to use photoshop and throw a few filters on, but that's no replacement for the fundamentals. So, at that job is where i learned the computer side of things- and seeing that it was easier to make a living with computers (advertising) rather than painting in my basement, I went this route... so, in a nutshell, anyone can take a photoshop class- but that doesn't make you an artist, anyone can take a dreamweaver class- but that doesn't make you a good web designer. just draw and keep drawing, don't rely on the computer- it's a tool just like a pencil...

OK, I'm off my soapbox.

basically, take all the classes you can in design and typography and don't forget the drawing classes.

-Jason

Originally posted by DeathscytheSK
Hey JAM, what classes did u take or what did u learn to get to the career of what you have now? I wanna do Graphic Design and Website design as a career when I get older and I don't know what I would need to know what classes to take or or whatever to be able to get a cool career like that.

I already have experience with website design, I just want to get better and hopefully learn how to do some of the stuff you are doing.

gibby
02-04-2003, 01:39 PM
What JAM says is so true! I work for the video game industry and I see artists walk in and out all the time. The artists we value most are those with the fundamental skill to draw manually and come up with creative ideas. The ones we get who only know how to use the software and do as their told don't last very long. So learn the basic skills first and it'll take you much further down the road.

P8ntballerAK
02-09-2003, 07:41 PM
that is true, but if you take a good photoshop clas and you know oyu can't draw, there are some pretty amazing things you can do wth photoshop tht you can no do on pen and paper.

One of my friends and a guy who taught me little about photoshop could make anythin you asked. Now I am not tlking about screening layers or filters, I am alking about the stuff you can do manually. If you do it right, n en and paper could touch a photoshop designed art piece. That said having a coombinaton of both makes ou rare and a desired asset to art, Just don't go saying that a pencil will beat hotoshop becaus it won't. they are both tools and very powerful ones.

strongboy2005
02-09-2003, 08:34 PM
here's my idea. it's ok if u think it's lame cause it's the first time i've ever used photoshop. no joke, here it is:

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 09:26 AM
I want a fantasy Team SHatner logo. Kay?

Feedback?

Star_Base_CGI
03-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Team Shatner