PDA

View Full Version : Network over takeing

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-10-2003, 04:16 PM
I have a strange question......Ok yesterday at school we had a guy send a message to every computer in the county wide school system Networking saying "I am God of this network, and a bunch of other stuff i can't say on AO" I am pretty smart and it happened a class before mine I me and the teacher tried to figure out how but couldn't. So my question is how could you do it. It looked kind of like a net sent but i dont think that was it anyone got a clue.

irbodden
01-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Elaborate on what you mean by "message"

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-10-2003, 04:24 PM
It was basically a net send it just kinda of poped up It stayed that "I am God of this Network cant say the rest" But i don't think it could have been a net send becasue he didnt have all the IP's he also likes to use DOS if there is a way to do it there.

pbzmag
01-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Pretty much anyone can send a net send message to anyone. First of all, the service is defaulted to ON by Microsoft and you just need a range of addresses, most likely he used the broadcast address. There's a way to disable it that I saw on www.thescreensavers.com. Their site is having problems right now. I'll make a link when it's back up.

Here's the link: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3374542,00.html

pbzmag

petefol
01-10-2003, 11:36 PM
go to administrative tools, services, and set "messenger" to off. its supposed to be used on networks so an admin can send a warning if there will be a server shutdown or something. you should also tell the admin to disable command prompt cause thats probably how the kid did it unless he brought in his own program.

Hornet
01-10-2003, 11:42 PM
if the comps were networked all he would have to do is write a script to send to one and then the rest of the networked comps etc

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by petefol
go to administrative tools, services, and set "messenger" to off. its supposed to be used on networks so an admin can send a warning if there will be a server shutdown or something. you should also tell the admin to disable command prompt cause thats probably how the kid did it unless he brought in his own program.

He did bro he brought in his own disk so the only way to not let it happen agian would be to turn of admin messanger? thanks for the help

Miscue
01-11-2003, 12:53 AM
How do you know a student did it? Could have been someone from Outer Mongolia. :)

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Cause that tracked it to his computer and he was still sitting there at the time but yes you never can be to careful with them damn mongolians

blitzmercenary
01-11-2003, 09:06 PM
stupid sean and jamie

Brak
01-12-2003, 12:25 AM
I DID IT! HAHAHAHA YOU FOOLS!!!!

blitzmercenary
01-13-2003, 07:03 AM
i think brak smokes crack

spantol
01-13-2003, 07:48 AM
As I recall, it's just this simple:

net send * "Profanity-laden message"

Jonesie
01-13-2003, 01:49 PM
I doubt he sent it to the WHOLE school system. Maybe the whole school. Routers block broadcasts by nature, thus creating broadcast domains. There should be a router at the school that allows access to the outside world (ie County Offices and the Internet). Most likely this router prevented the broadcast from going any farther than the local school network.

Now, having said that, it is POSSIBLE to send a broadcast message to the whole school system, getting it past the router, but it would be a bit harder. Technically, anything could be done on a network if it is configured properly (or improperly).

Later ~ Jonesie

joeyjoe367
01-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by spantol
As I recall, it's just this simple:

net send * "Profanity-laden message"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it.

When I was working in my school's computer lab, I would use the net-send command to announce to all the students when the lab was closing, and that they needed to pack it up.