PDA

View Full Version : AGH! Get rid of that huge Banner drop down

hostage
01-13-2003, 02:11 AM
On the forum when you go to click on stuff you can go past it and roll over "shop now at the AGD Online Store" It comes down and gets in the way it is annoying when you have an eraiser mouse. my 2 cents
-Doron

Beaver
01-13-2003, 02:37 AM
Deal with it.

luke
01-13-2003, 07:33 AM
Yea it bugs me too. I was just waiting for someone else to mention it before I complained.:D

ChucktheMAGician
01-13-2003, 08:08 AM
..or at least update it, it still says that ther superbolt is new! :D Yeah, I hate it when I run over it too, although having a mouse w/ the wheel on it seems to help?!

Brak
01-13-2003, 04:20 PM
i like it stop complaining

EsPo
01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
it would be nice if it was a bit..... smaller... and hes right.. it does need a bit of updating.

warpfeedmod
01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Just a note, is AGD OnlineStore really a sponsor of AO anymore? Doesn't AGD own/maintain AO? So how can they be sponsoring themselves? hehe no biggie to me, I never actually use that menu :p

EsPo
01-13-2003, 04:27 PM
also, is AO really a non profit organization (hence the .org).. just making sure, not positive what the meaning of "non profit organization" is.

wyn1370
01-13-2003, 04:30 PM
It is rather bothersome. Maybe if it went up instead of down (so what if it's a bit smaller). It does get in the way of the buttons. I've gotten into the habit of using the options at the bottom of the page instead so that I don't have to deal with it.

Smoke
01-13-2003, 04:46 PM
It is a kinda annoying, maybe a bit smaller?

cheetah256
01-13-2003, 04:51 PM
good...it was pissing off more people than me : )

Muzikman
01-13-2003, 05:48 PM
First off, you do not have to be a Non-Profit Organization to have a .org top level domain. Second, the way I look at it, Automags.org is not AGD's commercial site, that would be Airgun.com. If you think about it, Automags.org does not directly bring in money for AGD, you can join and use it for free. It is how ever a marketing and ad tool.

As for the drop banner, it does not bother me, maybe cause of my screen resolution and I hardly ever hit it. But I do agee, the site needs some SERIOUS updating. How about it Webby, got a few moments of free time?;)

Jonno06
01-13-2003, 05:50 PM
what does being a non-profit organization have to do with the drop down ad?

hm...

i also use the options at the bottom so I dont accidently click it..

Kevmaster
01-13-2003, 06:29 PM
someone claimed that AO was a nonprofit organization because we had a .org domain. I could if i wanted to go and purchase the www.KevinsPaintballStore.ORG and sell items and make millions of dollars if i wanted to.... the .ORG top level domain is available to anyone just as a .com, .net, .info, etc are

cphilip
01-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Far as I know we do nothing but COST money for AGD. In fact I know it...

(Added on edit: to people taking this the wrong way I mean operating a seperate Forum site is costing money to do. Its not free. We do not generate income like in checks for support, outside advertising and membership fee's is the point. Pardon my brevity as it may be misunderstood. Is it returning its cost in value? I hope so! Ask Toms accountants. I do not know :) )

WARPED1
01-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I hate that thing to,do away with it!

spantol
01-13-2003, 07:04 PM
cphilip : It's not as if that money is flushed away. This site, and the community associated with it, does a great deal to strengthen the AGD brand. That's a hell of an investment, and one that must be paying off.

I would have never bought an AGD product had I not found this site. Since then, I can't seem to stop buying them. :)

cphilip
01-13-2003, 07:08 PM
..well here we go again. :(

I never said it was not worthwhile...:rolleyes:

I said it makes no money and cost money to do...PERIOD!

WARPED1
01-13-2003, 07:10 PM
AGD doesn't pay dalnet or whoever for their server space?

cphilip
01-13-2003, 07:13 PM
yes indeed they do pay them. For both things. Plus we bought our own server and pay them to maintain it. And this is a paid version of the Bulletin Board sofware...

Its all good though.

shartley
01-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

HeeHee… got to do it Phil….. if someone purchases an AGD product because they came here to AO, it made AGD money. :D

Also, how many ideas, graphics, and other things has AGD gotten from the AO community… and bounce that off of what they would have had to pay to have the same thing done by a professional company. If AGD saved money (and I know it has), you could say AO made them money. Also if AGD had to staff a 24 hour tech hotline, how much would that cost them? But they don’t, they have AO…. Thus it saves them money. If it saves them money, it made them money. ;)

AGD gets a lot from AO, both by way of sales that would not have been made if AO was not here, and by the other things I mentioned. It’s all good… :D

Oh... and you have a white box coming! :D:D:D
http://gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/boxspic.jpg

spantol
01-13-2003, 07:22 PM
To be fair, you said:

we do nothing but COST money for AGD

I, respectfully, disagree with that statement. You might as well say that AGD's magazine ads do nothing but cost money. There's a ton a value created here, and belittling that would be a disservice to both the community and the brand.

Originally posted by cphilip

cphilip
01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
LOL!!!

I SAID IT WAS WORTHWILE!!!!! :D

I was just pointing out that they at lest could understand WHY the drop down was there and not pop up adds from many sponsors is all. I figured I was being too short with my answer. But then again you do have to LOOK hard to find something to work with in my answer. Fact is "Sugar Daddy" Tom foots the bill. And he is our only "Advertiser". So I do not realy see the issue with them at all. He paid for it he should indeed get a prominent display.

AND THATS MY FINAL WORD ON IT!!!! :D :D ;)

cphilip
01-13-2003, 07:28 PM
OK ...

One more redirect...

spantol. you had to know from some other things that went on today why the "period" was there. And that was in response to the inference that we were non profit org and some kind of tax write off. I never ment to imply we had no purpose. It is a worthwile thing to do. Why do you think I help do it if it was not? The period was an inside joke as to why I would not go further into the subject because that would call for me to give my "opinion" on how I think it helps AGD to have this site. But it does indeed do that.

See you may not know this but it seems my opinion is setting people off today so I have refrained from going any further. However now even that is setting some people off. So damed if I do and damed if I don't! Even your reply is reading a lot into my reply that is not even there. So...I give up!!!!! :(

shartley
01-13-2003, 07:32 PM
[monty python]…… just look on the bright side of life…… (whistle)…….[/monty python] ;)

Cheer up Phil……. We all have our days…. Some of us more than others. LOL

cphilip
01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Well trying to keep stuff in response to the things above it with one liners is dangerous. My bad realy. I can't figure out how to deal with people who do not want to read the things I am responding too at all inclusive and then try not to go into the subject matter way too far. There is a carefull balance that requires a lengthy post but I realy just do not have the stomach for it today at all. So my fault if they take it that way I guess. I can see how it could be read that way so I am cool with it. But anyone that knows me realy ought to know better... Fact is I have never made any money with any tax write offs I had. have you? Naw you just cut some of your losses. And you do it for a gains in some way like a house payment or something. In this case he does it for exposure and input. And hense the DROP DOWN!!!!! get it? I am done now!

shartley
01-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey Phil!

Nothing, just saying “Hey!”

(seeing if Phil will post again… ;))

Badabing
01-13-2003, 07:46 PM
I really cant stand that also.

FutureMagOwner
01-13-2003, 07:56 PM
dont worry cphil you can make fun of my $750 blender all you want until i get some air and make some adjustments to the lpr :p

cphilip
01-13-2003, 08:01 PM
hehe...

Now there is finaly someone taking me NOT seriously for a change. THANKS!

:D

spantol
01-13-2003, 09:33 PM
Ah, okay. I forgot, mods can't have their own opinions; they have to act in an official capacity always. :)

I know you know this site is worthwhile, and I know you were oversimplifying--I just think that this is a point that can't be made often enough. From a marketing standpoint, supporting and developing a community like this was an extremely savvy move. It's all the more impressive coming from a company that claims to suck at marketing...

That's the point I've been trying to make, I just took my time getting there.

Oh, and for the record, you're right--that thing was ugly as sin. :D

cphilip
01-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks for understanding my error in way WAY oversimplification spanol. I shoulda been more clear and specific.

Oh and... Shhhhhhh! ;)