PDA

View Full Version : Which Oil to use on my Mag?

Quackman71
01-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey, I am planing on following Black's instructions on how to take care of my Retro Valve and was just wondering what kind of oil I should use? I know Black recommends Kermode Concepts stuff but on their web site it says, " This [oil]is for players who regularly clean and re-lubricate their equipment, because it will become sludge, although more slowly than other mineral oils on the market." though i would like to say i do take care of my stuff i don't really clean re-oil the reg often, or ever (yet) so I was thinking this stuff might not be right for me. I know AirGun recommends Autolube. But I was told by a guy at A.N.S. to use regular 3-in-1 oil. Any suggestions?

xen_100
01-14-2003, 03:36 PM
any of those will work.........just remember to only use an oil that does not have petrolium in it. it can ruin your o-rings, and there are alot of them in a mag. only synthentic oils should be used.

Brak
01-15-2003, 08:31 PM
autolube is your best bet because autolube is made my AGD for mags, i cant see how you can go wrong

Kevmaster
01-15-2003, 08:37 PM
I use Automatic Transmission Fluid for a few reasons

1) its cheap (like $2.00 per pint)
2) readily available (at the local hardware / auto store)
3) it lubes great
4) it RESTORES orings to original form. yes, it rebuilds broken orings and cup seals. the best feature
5) the guys at BE told me about it, and well...that pisses people off :D

Death Angel
01-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Gold Cup is probably the best out there. It has been recommened for Angels and most everyother gun on the market. It's about the same thing as Auto Lube.

BlackVCG
01-16-2003, 01:02 AM
First of all, I only use the BLUE KC Trouble Free Oil. It's the Purple N2 oil that is white mineral oil based that you need to clean regularly. It offers a slight advantage over the Blue oil in friction reduction, but it's not worth it to me either. The KC Blue oil you use and don't worry about cleaning it off regularly.

Autolube is not made by AGD. It's made by Gold Cup and it's an okay oil. It tends to discolor o-rings and form slight amount of sludge over time.

Both RobAGD and I are firm believers in KC Oils. We both have been using them for along time and are thoroughly impressed with the quality of their oils. You get for what you pay.

Quackman71
01-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the advice

Death Angel
01-18-2003, 05:16 PM
If KC- CRAP was any good and their techs love it,why doesn't AGD reccommend it for use on the Mags and put it with their Mags???

BlackVCG
01-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Because:

A) Gold Cup is cheap.

B) Tom really doesn't care that much.

C) KC is too expensive to package with every gun they sell.

I work on guns every day. I see what oil does to o-rings. If KC was crap, DYE wouldn't use it to assemble their guns with, TheAngelGuy.com wouldn't use it on all of the Angels he works on if it didn't work well. People buy it and sell it with their guns because it's not a concern to them and it's cheaper. It's like buying synthetic oil for your car or regular petroleum oil. Most people don't give a crap what oil they use so they buy the .99 cent stuff and that's good enough for them. KC Oil is like Mobil 1 and Gold Cup is like gas station oil. They both work and do the job, one just does it better.

Quackman71
01-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Now see what you did you made 'em angry by insulting his favorite oil.:D

matt0000
01-18-2003, 09:15 PM
black.. where can i get some of that blue k c trouble free oil?

Quackman71
01-18-2003, 10:07 PM
WOW! The link on his Tag....

matt0000
01-18-2003, 10:14 PM
i meant like hardware stores.... think before you speak

BlackVCG
01-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Go to KC's site and then look up their dealer section to see which dealer is closest to you.

Havoc_online
01-19-2003, 09:29 AM
dont come between Black and his precious oils...:p

Kevmaster
01-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Yes, but does KC Oil REBUILD damaged ORings?

Soak a damaged oring in ATF for 12 hours and that oring will seal back up(now, if youve cut it or taken a huge nick outta it, it prolly wont...but the minor ones...the pesky ones)

Quackman71
01-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Who wants to soak an O-ring in your ATF oil for 12 hours? Why not just go buy a new O-ring to replace the damaged one....they are usually not very expencive.

Death Angel
01-19-2003, 03:01 PM
All KC is ,is an industrial food grade lubricant. Check their MSDS , if you can get one, like I did.

Kevmaster
01-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Quackman71
Who wants to soak an O-ring in your ATF oil for 12 hours? Why not just go buy a new O-ring to replace the damaged one....they are usually not very expencive.

Lets see...drive down to hardware store for 20 mins to get ATF for $2.00 or Call AGD, ask for a new oring, order one for 1.00 + 5.00 shipping, wait 3 days and then get it?

its your choice