PDA

View Full Version : My new toy!

TigerMan
01-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Well tonight I went and finally got my new toy, my Sony Mini Disc player. I got the 505 version, which is the least expensive, but it had what I wanted so I got it. They go for about $130 plus tax, but I got mine for about $115 tax included because of my mom's discount. Overall, in the time I've used it, I'm glad with my purchase. I was originally thinking of getting an MP3 player, and a MD Player never crossed my mind until suggested by a few AO members, so I took the chance and got it.

The software wasn't hard at all to install, took me 5 minutes. It's not hard to use at all either IMO. The only thing I've disliked so far has been the amount of time it takes to transfer from my computer to the MD player, but that varies from computer to computer. And the thing I like best is the amount of songs I can get on one Minidisc. I've got 40 on it right now on, and still have much room left. I wouldn't have gotten that many at all with the 128 MB MP3 player I was thinking of getting. And I like the fact it list the song artist and name, and let's me group my songs also which is cool. So thanks to the AO members who suggested the MD player to me.

And here's a pic of it. :D

FordPrefect
01-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Nice. I actually got an mp3 player, an Archos 10 gig, but it isn't connecting to my computer nicely. (see my thread on the topic).

How exactly do minidisc players work, anywho?

TigerMan
01-14-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure of the technicals of how it works, but basically it has the same concept of an MP3 player but the MP3's are put on mini discs. Like on the lowest compression of L4, I can get at least 500 minutes worth of music on one disc (each MD costs around $2), where as 500 minutes on an MP3 would cost a lot of money because you'd either need more cards or a more expensive player. MD also uses software, like many MP3 players. Each song though must be put in ATRAC form, which the software does automically for you when you transfer to the player. And one thing I really like is that you can get music or sounds from other sources than a PC, such as a TV, Radio, or even a portable CD player (just got to have the right cables). I'm not sure if you'd be able to do that with an MP3 player.

If you aren't able to get your Archos to work, see about exchanging it for a Mini Disc player. They're much smaller than the Archos too. Software wasn't hard at all to install either, just pop the CD in, and everything you need to do pops up. Pretty easy to figure out too.

Gitaroo Man
01-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I didn't like my MD player much, why did you get one over a MP3 player?

joeyjoe367
01-15-2003, 12:21 AM
I belive this MD player *IS* an MP3 player also ;)

Hmm... what's the construction of the player like? I used to own an MD-R50. It was made of aluminum and plastic. What was really lame was that after a few years of use, it broke on me. Yeah, I did drop it once or twice, but for $200, you'd have expected something pretty heavy-duty.

Also, what kind of batteries does it use? the gum-stick kind? what kind of playback times do you get on it?

Lastly, does it come in any other colors?

I'm considering getting one of these things since my CD player was stolen out of my car. I love CD's, but having $150 worth of CD's stolen out of my car has gotten me to re-consider a bit.

Gitaroo Man
01-15-2003, 12:36 AM
No, an MD player is not an MP3 player.

MD= Mini DISC....keyword being disc.

MD players use discs and mp3 players don't. Mp3 players can hold more depending on what kind

pbzmag
01-15-2003, 12:58 AM
MiniDisc is a media type. As long as the firmware is programmed to read mp3, MD players can read them. MP3 players uses HD to hold the mp3 files, there is even one that uses CD. I think Magnovox makes one. MD has been out for a years but hasn't been very popular probably because other companys don't want to use Sony's proprietary hardware, ie MD, MemoryStick.

PurePower
01-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Do minidisc players skip? If so I assume they have anti-skip protection?

MantisMag
01-15-2003, 02:13 AM
:rolleyes: why is it that people insist that only the ones that work with flash cards are mp3 players? think about it M...P...3...PLAYER. something that plays mp3s. of course it's not just mp3s anymore. now there's wma and ra and a couple others. but no matter what it uses, disc, card, or hard drive it is still an mp3 player because it plays mp3s or some other audio compression format file. RRRRRAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! sorry for the rant. i work in retail. electronics department. *sigh*... thankfully i've only got one more day of work before i leave for school.

joeyjoe367
01-15-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by PurePower
Do minidisc players skip? If so I assume they have anti-skip protection?

yes, the mini-discs themselves are in "trays" so it's harder for them to skip to begin with. That and the discs are smaller so they're less prone to skipping anyway, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Basically, they don't skip. The only time it's happened to me was when I was running across the hall and it was in one of my lower cargo-pockets where it was rattling to heck. after running about 4 blocks, it skipped once, but kept hummin'

Gitaroo Man, you odveously did not read much of the thread. That's all I have to say about that. :rolleyes:

Smegma
01-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Minidiscs only record the sound, it doesnt matter what format, thats why they can record of the radio, LP's, existing cds, and mp3s. At least I think thats true.

I really enjoy mine, i got it because i have a lot of cds and wanted to trasfer them to something smaller which could hold more. BTW it really doesnt matter if some mp3's can hold more, you can always have a different MD in your back pocket ready to go.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question55.htm

irbodden
01-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Gitaroo Man
No, an MD player is not an MP3 player.

MD= Mini DISC....keyword being disc.

MD players use discs and mp3 players don't. Mp3 players can hold more depending on what kind

:rolleyes:

That's like saying an MP3 CDRW player isn't an MP3 player since it uses CDs, when infact it is playing Mp3s.

rhetor22
01-15-2003, 04:58 PM
the minidisc player i have (or had) doesn't play mp3s. it plays ATRAC recordings. Thats why you can record from anything that makes sound. You can record from a microphone, or just plug in your headphones and get crappy recording.

But some girl threw it on the floor and broke it, then refused to pay for a new one.

I had the sharp md-705 or something... thing was great!

I'm actually gunna get the same md player you have, only its in silver. I have the money but i can't order it for about a week cuz i gotta use my dad's credit card and he's a bum. :D

Gitaroo Man
01-15-2003, 06:18 PM
What I mean by MP3 player is that it has a hard drive. I really don't think they are the same thing when I think about it.

The MD does play mp3s, yes I know that but what I meant is that mp3 players have a hard drive and store them in the and not on a minidisc

irbodden
01-15-2003, 06:49 PM
What I mean by MP3 player is that it has a hard drive. I really don't think they are the same thing when I think about it.

The MD does play mp3s, yes I know that but what I meant is that mp3 players have a hard drive and store them in the and not on a minidisc

The average Mp3 player doesn't have a hard drive, try flash memory. ;) :p

Gitaroo Man
01-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Ugh, ok but I'm talking about some thing different from a disc and able to hold more like.....the Ipod....20 gig harddrive...know what i'm talking bout now? lol

TigerMan
01-15-2003, 07:29 PM
I didn't like my MD player much, why did you get one over a MP3 player?

To answer your question, this was the better deal IMO. Like others have said, many MP3 players use flash memory cards. This is what the ones in my price range had. They don't hold very much, and the flash cards are really expensive. I didn't have money, nor do I really want to spend over $300 on a higher MP3 player, so I got the MiniDisc player. I like it a lot so far, and one MD holds a ton (depending on what compression you use). And the good thing is that each individual MD costs only about $2.

irbodden
01-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Ugh, ok but I'm talking about some thing different from a disc and able to hold more like.....the Ipod....20 gig harddrive...know what i'm talking bout now? lol

Yes, iPods, Zens, etc.

They were all out of his price range, so he was limited to the Mp3 players that use Flash memory.

TigerMan
01-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
I belive this MD player *IS* an MP3 player also ;)

Hmm... what's the construction of the player like? I used to own an MD-R50. It was made of aluminum and plastic. What was really lame was that after a few years of use, it broke on me. Yeah, I did drop it once or twice, but for $200, you'd have expected something pretty heavy-duty.

Also, what kind of batteries does it use? the gum-stick kind? what kind of playback times do you get on it?

Lastly, does it come in any other colors?

I'm considering getting one of these things since my CD player was stolen out of my car. I love CD's, but having $150 worth of CD's stolen out of my car has gotten me to re-consider a bit.

The construction seems pretty fine, it's basicly just plastic. It uses one AA battery. The higher end models come with a rechargable battery and charger. On the playback, depending on your compression you can get anywhere from 80-500 minutes.

They do come in other colors too, depending on the models. My model has silver too, other models have blue, silver, black, and the sport type too. If you don't like carrying a lot of CD's I definately go for one. Can't beat the price. If your looking for one with a car kit, rechargeable battery, and mic plug and remote (505 comes with neither remote or mic plug), then you may want to look at the 707 Sony model. It costs about $200. I found out a lot about them at Best Buy and Circuit City's web sites.

rhetor22
01-15-2003, 07:39 PM
i just ordered the same model in silver.

I've been wanting to get it for a while... well i finally cracked down and ordered it!

won't be here for a week or so though :(

I was just looking at the remotes for these... they're almost $50!! what a rip!!!!!!!!

TigerMan
01-15-2003, 07:47 PM
The wait will tear you apart, heh. :p Some advice for when you get it, read the papers and software guides first before installing the software and such. I say this because if you do certain things before your supposed to, it can mess up everything and possibly not let you install the stuff. Just as long as you follow the guide, it's a piece of cake.

einhander619
01-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Just thought I'd clear som stuff up, here.

I have owned a minidisc player for about 6 years now, and I think that for the tech-savvy person it is hands down the best way to listen to music.

All newer minidisc players have MDLP capability, that is, the ability to compress music. The highest compression level will put 320 minutes of music on a disc, not 500. 320 minutes is still over 5 hours of music, though.

In addition to MDLP, many newer models also have NetMD capability, which allows the user to transfer ANY type of audio file off their computer and onto the MD unit.

Since the MD is a disc, it is subject to the possibility of skipping. However, I have never had a MD player skip on me, and I use it while hitting handrails and 40 foot tabletops on my snowboard, so it is safe to assume that it will never skip on you.

As for durability, that is up to the model and manufacturer. I currently have the Sony MZ-S1, which is a sports model with a beefed up chassis and waterproofing. It's bombproof!

Here is a good MD site, they have good prices and great customer service.

http://www.minidisco.com

also, here is a link to a minidisc community, they can answer any question you might have.

http://www.minidisc.org

enjoy your new MDs, guys!

joeyjoe367
01-15-2003, 08:45 PM
HMm... I was under the impression that the MD player read mp3's the same way that the new CD/Mp3 players read mp3's off of a CD-R... am I mistaken?

when you *DO* use the highest compression, is there a noticable decrease in sound quality? on my old MD-R50 you could do something simmilar, you could record in mono instead of stereo and get 2x the play time, but of course the sound sucked.

rhetor22
01-16-2003, 06:54 AM
no, its not the same. The difference here is the type of the compression they use, so it is similiar to how you can compress a .wav file to an .mp3

when going from stereo to mono i believe you truly do get HALF the quality, therefore double the play time.

The quality on the md compression is probably similiar to 128k mp3 files, but i'm not positive as i don't have one... yet :D

My sharp could also record in mono for recording speaches and such... sounded like crap.

TigerMan
01-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Right now I have mine on the compression to get the most music on there, and I'm very satisfied with the sound. It's not bad at all, and I'm fine with, it sounds just the same as my MP3 CD Player to be honest (this is my opinion). I'm not sure what, the other sounds like with the lower compression, but personally I'm just trying to get as much music as possible.