PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on my horizontal feed mag

Mossman
01-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Hey boys. I've had a spare valve and frame for a while now, and I came across a cheap rail and sear. It made perfect sense to buy a SF body for 25 bucks and completely ruin it right :)

Hehehe, anyhow guys, I wanna make a horizontal feed mag with 2 tubes on top (copper for now), on either side of the body. They've got a .75" ID and it seems like it'll be fine. The 2 tubes will be selected by a "T Lock" barrel, so you can switch between clips with just a twist.

I originally wanted a little sidearm but I think its turning into more of a rifle now.

Basically what I want is opinions on how y'all think I should fix the tubes to the body. A mag feed plug with a couple layers of electrical tape work great for routing the paint into the 2 holes in the body (already dremeled those out btw). I also ordered 2 new springs for my "broekn PT extremes" clips from 32* but they haven't come yet....I'll call back and hassle um in a sec.

If i had a welding setup I'd try my luck with that, but I'm gonna screw around with some 5 minute epoxy before I go out and find someone who can weld. Also, how do you do "silver soldering" which is how I believe the feed tubes are connected by AGD. The marks around feed tubes look a lot like when I did welding in auto shop a couple years back, but if silver soldering is do-able without too many supplies I already have I'd try my luck at that...

Anyhow, Here's the pics. It's a 14" PMI barrel. Once i get the 2 tubes fixed I'm gonna worry about what I want for air supply (considering 4oz co2), but I'm not sure where I'll want it for balance. Maybe I'll get a big stock though and use a 12oz tank under it...not quite sure yet.

Without further ado, the pics can all be viewed Here (http://moss.servebeer.com:3000/camera/01-16-2003%201204p/) , but I'll post a the few decent ones too.

here goes.
http://moss.servebeer.com:3000/camera/01-16-2003%201204p/DSC00003.jpg http://moss.servebeer.com:3000/camera/01-16-2003%201204p/DSC00005.jpg http://moss.servebeer.com:3000/camera/01-16-2003%201204p/DSC00008.jpg http://moss.servebeer.com:3000/camera/01-16-2003%201204p/DSC00007.jpg

MantisMag
01-16-2003, 02:36 PM
you cut those holes out witha dremel!? :eek: how long did that take you? and using what kind of bit?

how are you going to get it to load if they're completely horizontal?

Quiet
01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
I've got an idea for you. The copper tubes are pretty soft and could get dented in which would screw things up for you. Go to your local field and see if they've got some old messed up barrels they'd be willing to part with. Then you'd know the ID would be fine and they would probably hold up a little better, as well as look better IMHO.

Just a thought.

I wanna see some picks when you're done

Quiet
01-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey I just got an idea for how you could set it up for feeding. Drill a hole into the side of the tube like on a mag barrel, measure it so that you can use a powerfeed plug to direct the balls into the chamber. This would give you an on/off on your feed system and you could remove the plug for loading the tube. Then you just need to fix the tube to the body, how good are you at welding? I suppose you could just use pipe clamps.

Mossman
01-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
Hey I just got an idea for how you could set it up for feeding. Drill a hole into the side of the tube like on a mag barrel, measure it so that you can use a powerfeed plug to direct the balls into the chamber. This would give you an on/off on your feed system and you could remove the plug for loading the tube. Then you just need to fix the tube to the body, how good are you at welding? I suppose you could just use pipe clamps.

LOL, that was the plan :)
Note the mag feed plug in one of the pics

OK - for loading I'd either have it like stock class where u gotta tilt the gun forward, but ideally (if 32* knew how to ship things it'd be better), I'll be using big loose springs like in all the semi auto pistols. SO 1 side will have PF plugs, and the other side will have some other sort of plug with a spring rigged to it....so you take the plug out with the spring, toss in 10 balls, replace the spring and the plug, with hopefully some sort of twist mechanism to lock it in place.

Oh ya, and the barrel idea. Barrels are generally too small to do this w/o restriction. Even if a ball rolls through a barrel, that doesnt mean all balls will do it and it wont always happen on hot days. That would deem this gun useless. I'm gonna use a non copper colored pipe once I test it with copper (cuz copper is cheap and easy to manipulate). Or maybe I'll just spraypaint them black along with the body. The reason I'm using pipe is I can cut it to any length I want, cutting the hole is easier, and its replaceable.

I used reinforced cut-off wheels to do the holes. Took maybe 15 minutes to hack off the feed tube and cut the 2nd hole. Went through like 1.5 disks.

I'm not bad at welding but I don't have the setup and I dont know what sort of welding would be appropriate so I'm gonna try and use some hard setting epoxy first.

Wish me luck! :)

Quiet
01-16-2003, 03:37 PM
I wasn't sure if that was what you were trying. It looked like you might be using the plug at the back and some sort of elbow at the the front. Guess you're right about the barrel idea, I hadn't thought about that. I like the spring idea the positive feed would likely reduce chops.

Man I wanna see this built.

Thordic
01-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Dude I've been wondering about how hard it would be to do this for a long time. I am definitely interested in keeping tabs on this, Mossman.

Mossman
01-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Ya, same here Thordic :)

Once the extra parts fell into my lap I decided to do it. Unfortunately I started it at a time when I'm pretty busy with hockey and school. Poo :(

Anyhow, it started as an idea for a sidearm, but now I think Im gonna go for more of a rifle. I have a long *** barrel that I dont feel like hacking down, and a 4oz co2 is a pain in the bum to refill when you're at a field that the field is seperated from the fill area. I might just keep the long barrel, get a stock or make one, and run a 12oz chromoly tank.

Ahh...the choices :) I wanna see if the epoxy I got will hold the tubes on...but then I gotta chop a hole in the tubes....and that takes a dremel or a grinding wheel....and that takes safety glasses, and if you know me you know how i feel about wearing safety glasses on weekdays...

Reo5th
01-16-2003, 08:26 PM
So moss, are you gonna replace my two reinforced cutting wheels you went through?!?! Also, I saw the welding torch in action tonight....MY WORD. forget your JB weld, we're doing the real deal to this :D