PDA

View Full Version : Looking kinda fat, tips on working out

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
01-16-2003, 07:35 PM
For once in my life Im getting fat, I always used to be a little over skinny but now im just fat:( So Ive decided to work out. All Ive been doing lately is just pushups, situps, the usual crap without the weights, starting tomorrow Im starting to run. Plus I need to get in shape for the paintball season. So does anyone else have any tips, pages, etc to help me on my journey?

yeahthatsme
01-16-2003, 07:43 PM
go to a gym and get a personal trainer, that oughta wip ya into shape.

-Jôker-
01-16-2003, 07:45 PM
pace yourself and build up dont do 50 pushups on your first day build up to and beyond 50... do reps... like your first week do 3 reps of 10 for each exercise alnternate excersises so you dont over work the same muscles and dont ever not strecth before and after you work out it helps build the muscles any more info needed? therre are also tons of ppl here who know a lot so litsen to them to :D

boss_automager
01-16-2003, 07:51 PM
dont sit in front of the computer listening to us.
We are poison to the stomach!
Go out and run instead of just sitting in front of the comp(or lift a weight while we poison your stomach:D )

petefol
01-16-2003, 09:00 PM
all you really need to do is not eat alot and run for awhile one day then do a few pushups and situps the next day and keep alternating to let your muscles have a chance to recover.

MantisMag
01-16-2003, 10:00 PM
if you're trying to get rid of fat it's better to do cardio than strength training. look up how to figure out your target heart rate. most people wuss out long before they reach the proper exertion level. that's why they never see results. maintain your target heart rate for at least a half hour during your workout. work out from 3-5 days a week.

-=Squid=-
01-16-2003, 10:33 PM
fast....lol

Mr. T!
01-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Don't eat anything, except bean soup and bread, and run forty miles a day, if you don't die you will be much thinner.

Cha0tic
01-16-2003, 11:52 PM
the number 1 thing you can do is run. try to do as much as you can do in 30 minutes. then graduate to a longer time. that will help you drop some of the fat.

also watch what you eat. don't eat desert, and don't eat a snack in the middle of the day. don't stop eating or change your whole food lifestyle unless it is absolutely terrible, just cut down.

keep up those sit ups and push ups. i also like doing plyometric workouts as opposed to lifting weights. you may want to look into that. don't spend the money on a trainer unless you need major motivation.

deathstalker
01-17-2003, 12:31 AM
One of the most important things is to mix up your routine, eat PROPERLY (not necessarily less), and don't give up. Try to recognize if your body is adapting to the changes and starts to plateau, don't pay attention to fad diets, and don't expect instant results.

After reaching 268, I said, "Enough is enough" and joined a club. I now weigh 235 AND I have a lot more muscle, which means I've lost quite a bit of fat. I try to eat plenty of protein for muscle development, but I make sure I eat lean meats. I'm still losing a little bit of weight each week and I have no intention of quitting. I'm happy with the changes I see and only want things to get better.

I work out an average of four times a week and do both cardio and weightlifting. I'm certainly no paragon of perfect health, either. I smoke about a pack a day and my appetite still gets the best of me a little more than I would like.

The key for me was to do research (www.google.com) and refuse to give up. To be honest, paintball was a huge motivation for me. No offense to anyone who fits the description, but I really don't like how we big guys look in many of the harnesses on the market. :) I also want to be able to really move if I have to.

Mango
01-17-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Cha0tic
don't spend the money on a trainer unless you need major motivation.

Ok, sure listen to him. Don't spend the money on getting expert advice from someone who studied and paid $700 to get a certification, and take a 160 page test, just so they could help people improve thier quality of life, lose weight and lead healtier lives. :rolleyes:

Joining a gym and getting a personal trainer is the single best thing you can do. BUT, all the gyms, all the personal trainers in the world will not help you unless you make the decision to help yourself. With that being said, a personal trainer can design a program for you that matches your 12 week goal, teach you proper form, give you nutritional advice and answer any other questions you might have. It is the best money you can spend. :D

(Yes I worked as a personal trainer and I'm ACE certified)

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-17-2003, 08:26 AM
BOWFLEX

No seriously its all about motavation. I only stay in shape for football and rite now im a nice round shape but I'm a 6'4 300 pound linemen so what do i no. Are school hasnt been to the playoffs in 20 years. We got a new coach this year. And you cannot walk into are field house and not see something that says playoffs. Above every bench press there is a sign that says playoffs pin to the ceiling. ITs all about motavation.

Thordic
01-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Mango knows what he is talking about. When I decide to get off my lazy arse and get back into shape, he'd be the one i went to for advice. You would be wise to listen to him.

Often if you are getting out of shape its because you lost discipline. I used to be in pretty good shape from playing lacrosse, but after I stopped my discipline level went to crap and its hard to get that back sometimes. Its hard to do it on your own, and having a trainer who can give you that kick you need can do wonders.

Or if you have a hot female friend, get her to motivate you. It's amazing what a guy will do when a hot girl asks him to...

MantisMag
01-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
Or if you have a hot female friend, get her to motivate you. It's amazing what a guy will do when a hot girl asks him to...

or even just stares at you expectantly. :p don't hurt yourself though. :D

and yes a good personal trainer is definitely worth it. since you're on AO asking for advice i'd say even a so-so trainer would be worth it for you. cause they'll still be good enough to at least get you started. or you could pay mango to give you tips online. hehehe.

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
01-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Ok, thanks for all the advice. I just ran a mile today(just pacing myself) and I asked a friend of mine on advice, he said just go here for a work out schedule and you will be in shape REAL quick, but dont give up thats the main part. So he gave me a link:http://navyseal.s5.com/workouts.html

Is this a good routine?

TooDamnSweet
01-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Tae Bo is a pretty good work out. Get some tapes and do it in your living room every morning.

boss_automager
01-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Mango knows what he is talking about.

OMG! its finally happened! The legend dies!

jk with ya Mango;) :D

shartley
01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
OR…… you could buy a new set of clothes each week, and progressively get larger sizes. Then you could tell folks that you are just losing weight! Each week they will think you are doing better and better…… the compliments will roll right in! ;)

Hemlock86
01-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Im on the Body for Life right now. I tried it in Sept but quit, so Im doing it again this time...the whole way through.

Tip#1 Drink 1 Gallon of water a day, NO MORE SODA!

Tip#2 No carbs 3 hours before you go to bed

Tip#3 Do Cardio when you wake up before you each
a. Dont eat until an hour after you do cardio
(You continue to burn fat an hour afterwards!)

Those are simple ones most people dont know, beside working out and eatting healthy!

Peace, gl

MagMan5446
01-17-2003, 11:31 PM
If you're in high school join the wrestling team.

oldsoldier
01-18-2003, 02:01 AM
Eh, get a Bowflex. Or, join the Army ;)

clanger
01-18-2003, 02:14 AM
I swim all the time. Swimming is the best cardio out of running and cycling. Just hop in the pool and swim laps, and I'm not talking down and back easy, swim laps like you mean it. Try and join a club team where they whip your butt into shape. Don't cut back on carb's when you work out. Usually cut back on the sugar carbs, soda's, candies, etc. Eat healthy, grab a power bar and water. Then after working out hard(I mean hard, 2 hours of swim, weights, and running)go grab yourself a good size meal. This will take you from fat to a lean mean fighting machine.

fire1811
01-18-2003, 08:45 AM
One Word.
BEER!

darklord
01-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Don't listen to any of these muscle-heads. If you're like me, you're just too lazy. I noticed the pounds piling on a year ago, so you know what I did? Just watched what I ate and walked 3 miles a day for 5 days out of the week. I kept it up and lost 20 lbs. Running is all well and good, but just try some jogging instead. It's slower paced and doesn't wind you very much. Stick to soy (our friend) in your diet, and don't worry so much about what you're eating, but more of how much you're eating. Oh and another thing, drink lots of water! I can't stress that enough. I used to be hooked on soft drinks, but I just steadily replaced them with water. You may have to make more trips to the bathroom, but it's really good for you and quenches your thirst.

This is what worked for me... not saying it will work for you, but it worked for me. Did this over the summer and lost weight, then just watched what I ate during the winter.

logamus
01-18-2003, 07:07 PM
i started lifting weights. 12oz curls really are fun and rewarding. :D

boss_automager
01-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Work on crunches,pushups,situps,running,not eating too much,watching what you are eating,running, and lifting weights,and drinking lots of water.

magsRus
01-20-2003, 12:00 AM
jenny craig

CRog075
01-20-2003, 12:14 AM
Bowflex.

Thats all.

CRog075
01-20-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by darklord
Don't listen to any of these muscle-heads. If you're like me, you're just too lazy. I noticed the pounds piling on a year ago, so you know what I did? Just watched what I ate and walked 3 miles a day for 5 days out of the week. I kept it up and lost 20 lbs. Running is all well and good, but just try some jogging instead. It's slower paced and doesn't wind you very much. Stick to soy (our friend) in your diet, and don't worry so much about what you're eating, but more of how much you're eating. Oh and another thing, drink lots of water! I can't stress that enough. I used to be hooked on soft drinks, but I just steadily replaced them with water. You may have to make more trips to the bathroom, but it's really good for you and quenches your thirst.

This is what worked for me... not saying it will work for you, but it worked for me. Did this over the summer and lost weight, then just watched what I ate during the winter.

Hm I am going to try that today. Even though Im only 150 lbs, and 5'11, lift weights, I wouldnt mind having the scale read 130 :)

Thanks, ima try it starting Monday-Sunday.

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-20-2003, 12:35 AM
I read this agian and i noticed something we all no the answer but i beat where all just to fat and lazy to do anything who agrees?

clanger
01-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Not me! It's swim seasons and its time to get back into shape.

ShooterJM
01-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Eh used to be in really good shape due to swimming 4hrs a day.

Got up to about 220. Got sick of it and am now about 185-190. Got 15-20 lbs to go. Right now I'm really stepping up the weight lifting and starting not cut back on cardio. ie lift weights 3-4 times a week and cardio twice. Once you get to your bodies natural weight you have to shock your system by adding more muscle or something.

darklord
01-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by CRog075

Hm I am going to try that today. Even though Im only 150 lbs, and 5'11, lift weights, I wouldnt mind having the scale read 130 :)

Thanks, ima try it starting Monday-Sunday. Keep in mind it's harder to shed pounds when you are at an "average"/lower weight. I got myself down to 150, and now I'm just trying to not gain any weight, but not lose any either. This is why you see huge people like that guy Jared from subway (insert lol here) losing like hundreds of pounds. Weight training does help though; keep in mind the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn....

oh yeah and like other said swimming is really good for you. When you're at a decent weight you might want to look into stuff like swimming/wrestling, if you want to lose weight.

aaron_mag
01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Join an activity. If you are in school join some sports. Wrestling will obviously make you extremely lean but it is also an extremely demanding sport.

If you are out of school check out some classes. You've got martial arts, yoga, boot camp, etc. Classes are good for the same reason that sports are good. There is a group of people there that help motivate you. Running is probably the best but it is pretty easy to start saying, "I'll skip today...". If cash is tight look for classes at community centers/YMCA etc. They are usually pretty cheap. I have no problem with personal trainers but personalized attention also means more money. It would probably be better to join a circuit training class or something like that at the local gym.

Miscue
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Get gym membership. Go at least 3 days a week, work up to 4 or 5. Do cardio, I recommend power-walking (as opposed to running), low impact cardio machines, and swimming. Swim until you can't swim anymore, and then do more.

Weight train with high reps, you want the weight training to burn surrounding fat and enhance metabolism. You got fat on X part of your body? Exercise that part.

No/limited soda/sugary drinks... or get used to drinking diet. Lots of water. Less carbs, less fat, more protein. An Atkins (no/low carb) diet alone will trim you down.

The key is: You don't have to do a crazy diet, just be more mindful... you don't have to go nuts at the gym, you just gotta keep going.

You just gotta keep at it and you will see results.

I personally have reduced my soda intake by a lot... I didn't realize I was drinking so much every day. I've been going to the gym 3-4 days a week, doing light cardio and hitting the weights. I went from 145 to 140 (I attribute to fat loss) and then gained weight to about 152 (muscle gain). I actually eat a lot more now and have discovered that as long as I exercise... I can actually eat whatever the heck I want... so my diet has adjusted back to my See-Food Diet.

Yeah, I know I'm a light weight... but I was still flubbery. I've since toned up (still a long way to go) and am putting on lean muscle... shooting for 160-165. I don't work out particularly hard, but I make use of my time... and I go regularly.

That's the trick.

01-21-2003, 09:58 PM
I joined indoor track (indoor ha the meets are indoor the practices arent). I run 2 miles a day and they make you do 30 minutes- an hour in the weight room. IT helps a lot when you have someone like a coach who will come find you if you dont show up.

MantisMag
01-21-2003, 11:02 PM
miscue's right on about everything except for the targeting fat on certain body parts. it just doesn't work that way. you can't target fat. fat is burned off over the whole body. genetics plays the largest factor in determining where you retain fat. also while atkins will get you to lose weight it's not very healthy so i wouldn't recommend it.