PDA

View Full Version : Unique tournament upcoming in D/FW

ben_JD
01-16-2003, 09:37 PM
[Edit: Please see February 22, 2003 post for full details]

It's called a 3-man scramble and it's being hosted by Mid-Cities Paintball in between Dallas and Ft. Worth, Texas. This tournament is currently scheduled for April 5 [date updated], 2003.

I played in a similar tournament this past December (hosted by Mid-Cities and organized by Evil) and I have to say that it was one of the most fun paintball experiences I have ever had. The unique characteristic of this tournament is the method by which teams are chosen. You have three hats; one includes the "Amateur/Pro" players, another includes the "Novice" players and the third includes the "Rookie/Rec" players. One player from each hat is chosen to make a team which will stay together through the tournament.

Team Evil and Team PMI were in full attendance last time and I suspect they will be present in April, too [See updated information on 1/20 post below]. Roy Estrada, the field owner, runs one of the friendliest paintball venues in town with quality refs who will remember your face and name from visit to visit.

The environment of the tournament was light-hearted (one field of play with coaching/harassing allowed from the sidelines) and only one player ever lost his cool...and he only did it once. Top-level tournament players teamed up with first-tournament rec-ballers was the norm and the whole day was pleasant. Prizes will probably be awarded for first through third place (last time there were E-Pirahanas for first place, 4.5K fibre tanks for second and 3K fibre tanks for third). [See new information below]

For the entry fee (about $120), you will get entry into the tournament, one case of premium paint, lunch (fantastic catered BBQ) and all-day air. Extra paint will be sold at discount prices (much lower than normal field prices).

As more details are available, I will post them here. If you live in the area, I really think this would be a fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

I'll be there wearing my black and gold Automags Online jersey professionally crafted by our friends at Custom Sports Gear.

matt0000
01-16-2003, 09:50 PM
cool that sounds like a lot of fun and its around my b- day lol I may have to check that out
-matt-

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-16-2003, 10:45 PM
hey yall live in dfw, wearabouts? im in northdallas, me and my friend are looking to get into the tourney scene and were wondering where this was. the prices seem great. lmk

ben_JD
01-16-2003, 11:04 PM
This field is located in N. Richland Hills on Grapevine Highway just north of 183/121. It is just behind a Sonic and putt-putt course named Mountasia.

Map (http://www.paintballmidcities.com/Paintball/Map.htm)

matt0000
01-16-2003, 11:07 PM
oh ive been to mountaisia had some fun ridin the go karts over there i didnt know there was a field over there anyways im over here ft worth
-matt-

ttoad4000t
01-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Sounds like fun, I might check it out...Ive been to that mountasia place too, mid-cities is behind it???? Thats wierd (i guess i didnt notice) :confused: :)

*EDIT* hey Matt, what part of Ft.Worth do you live? I live right next to benbrook (across 820)

ben_JD
01-17-2003, 03:43 PM
The roster will probably be capped at 30 teams (90 players). Last tournament, all teams played 7 or 8 prelim games and the top 6 teams broke to round-robin finals. Records were considered only for tie-breakers...points mattered.

It really is a full day of paintball.

Paintmanmike
01-17-2003, 04:04 PM
This is a great idea for a tournment, very unique. I agree with the opinion on Mid Cities, played there once and it was a great day. If they run this tournament like they run thier field it should be a lot of fun!

They don't have any information about this on thier website :( Any idea on how to register and be one of the lucky ones to get in under the cap?

ben_JD
01-17-2003, 05:41 PM
You should call the field owner, Roy Estrada (preferably on the weekend...he's got a day job) at the field and ask to be added to the list. He may not yet be taking names, but he will probably start one.

His number is: [Edit: Nevermind, don't call him about it yet. I will post email address when the registration period begins]

logamus
01-17-2003, 07:39 PM
pretty cool, i will deffo have to look into this. i havent played there since the weekend it opened.

Sir Chopsalot
01-17-2003, 09:23 PM
that sounds pretty sweet, may have to go to that. oh yea matt did you get your x valve and intelli?

matt0000
01-17-2003, 11:40 PM
yea i got my x valve and intelli and its soooo sweet!!!!! all i gotta do now is go get air tomarrow and set up lvl 10 haha ought to be interesting

*EDIT* hey Matt, what part of Ft.Worth do you live? I live right next to benbrook (across 820)

i live over in crowley i think chopsalot lives over by benbrook though

ben_JD
01-18-2003, 02:47 PM
I talked to the field owner today and the date of the tournament will either be the 5th or 12th of April. I will post more specific information as well as registration information when it is available.

ben_JD
01-20-2003, 11:19 AM
As of yesterday, it appears that all Team Evil and Team PMI will be in attendance and coordinating the scheduling of the tournament.

The prizes, on the other hand, sound as if they will be much better, though I am not yet at liberty to say more about that until next week.

I will post more information about registration here as soon as available...problably one week to ten days from now.

ben_JD
02-05-2003, 10:43 AM
The tournament is now scheduled for April 5, 2003. Pricing is still not nailed down, but look to my first several posts for what I assume will be very close to the final numbers.

Again, I cannot tell you how much fun this tournament was when we last did one in December; though those of you with bad attitudes should probably stay at home.

See (the rest of) you there!

ben_JD
02-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Official Date: April 5, 2002

Site: Mid-Cities Paintball in North Richland Hills, Texas (between Dallas and Fort Worth)

Fee: $120 (includes: Entry Fee, catered BBQ lunch, all-day air, and 1 case of PMI Allstar).

Format: 3-Man scramble (See above for details)

Prizes:
- 1st: Works Autocockers (!)
- 2nd: Rage Packs
- 3rd: PMI Jerseys

Come one, come all!

More information at Flagstation (http://www.flagstation.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=365&s=80e39f92618972ec665c171d60bf3141)