PDA

View Full Version : Internet fraud!

Wild_Osiris
01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Guys, My friend, just got scammed on ebay for a shocktech autococker. The guy has the money sent to a place in spain, and asks his victims to send the money first by western union. Then reputs the gun for sale on ebay under another name. Funny thing though is I believe the check is made out to someone else. but he asks u to send the money in the same place. My question to u guys is how do u deal with this. My friend got scammed and he wants to know if there is anything he can do.

deathstalker
01-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Got links to the auctions?

Wild_Osiris
01-16-2003, 11:25 PM
yes here they are http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2700403942&category=16048

tranman
01-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Hmm weird, if you click on his feedback it says he's from Canada, but in the auction it says hes from the US. Sounds really suspicious...i hope there is something you can do to catch this dirt bag.

CRog075
01-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Well, why would you even buy from a guy with 0 feedback?

Wild_Osiris
01-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Well I really dont like going off topic but by the same token what if this guy went on pbnation and did this? What then there is no feedback on pbnation or any forums. (yes they have the good trader lists but generally its hard to find peeps)

c sherer
01-16-2003, 11:50 PM
hecks, just create a dummy account and bid some outrageous amount to hose the auction, then never pay it. that at least would save some other poor guy from losing $.

Halliday
01-16-2003, 11:53 PM
I would never buy anything from someone with 0 feedback. Let ebay and the Post Office know about this. Good luck.

Mossman
01-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Something tells me whoever the person is who is winning this auction isnt gonna be paying for this auction.

pito189
01-17-2003, 12:04 AM
If you never buy from someone with 0 feedback, then how could anyone on ebay have ever gotten started?

ttoad4000t
01-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by pito189
If you never buy from someone with 0 feedback, then how could anyone on ebay have ever gotten started?

They could buy a couple things...

Hexis
01-17-2003, 12:55 AM

This auction is an ebay version of darwinism. If you can't figure out that there is something very wrong with this, you have larger issues.

I wonder why somone would send money to Spain for something that listed as being in the US. Every other auction with the same pics are in the US.

The pics aren't even of an SFL.

Mossman
01-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Don't worry boys...I'm telling you...whoever bid on this will NOT be paying :) ;)

raehl
01-17-2003, 01:52 AM
While being a crook isn't right, there's also a price for being gullible.

Use common sense when bidding on items. Use an escrow service for big ticket items.

And for goodness sake, don't send checks to spain.

- Chris

Mossman
01-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Dude, after the auction ends I'll ask for his info and hook you up with it. While that might be fake 2 its just 1 more strike against him.

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Yea never send anything to spain when its to good to be true it really is. That away to stand up for the little guy moss

warpfeedmod
01-17-2003, 09:42 AM
After the auction ends, DO NOT send any money.

Use this form:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?UserInformationRequest#ContactInfo

and request the user info. Once you get it, perhaps verify it. Usually theres address, phone, etc. If not, I would alert ebay safe harbor immediately. Explain to them what you've found out, about sending money to spain, about the auction being in the us, etc. If for some reason the seller thinks he/she can ruin your reputation by leaving negative feedback if you back out of the auction, if you can convince ebay it was fraudulent they will remove any negative feedback and pretty much ban this seller.

Also since you can pick up western union money at just about anywhere, even some ATMs now do it, you are probably not actually sending the money to Spain. They tell you that so that you have no recourse. Overseas transactions are alot harder to fight should something go wrong. Plus this gives the seller reason to make excuses like it got lost in shipping, customs, etc.

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Good advice warp.

ogre55
01-17-2003, 09:46 AM
The FBI calls this mail fraud, however he is not in the US, but, apparently, in Spain.

Have your friend get in touch with three organizations.

1) The Post Office has postal police, so that may start the ball rolling. They may refer you to the FBI (but international fraud is not in their jurisdication). So the FBI may then refer you to Interpol. I am sure the EU has laws against thisand Interpol would handle it.

2) Next, get in touch with Ebay. See if they have anything to say on the matter.

3) Finally, get in touch with Western Union. See if they have any provisions regarding fraudulent transfers of cash.

As for everything everyone said regarding the gullibility of this individiul, all I have to say is....yep.

Ogre

Timmee
01-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Was it a Western Union money order, or money transfer? Also, when did the auction in question end? If it was a money order, try to put a stop payment on it (this will only work if it hasn't been cashed yet). I believe a Western Union money transfer has a 48hr life before it's canceled, so if it was sent as a transfer (and picked up), you're probably out of luck. Follow the advice the others gave you, and if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to help as best as I can.

logamus
01-17-2003, 07:47 PM
i like your style mossman.

Mossman
01-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Dear Customer for payment is via only Western Union and shipping UPS Express,because i have contract with them.The price is 1400USD.

Name:Antonio Felix

Add: Str: Calle Serrano 115
City: Madrid
Zip: 28006

Send me the MTCN#(money transfer control number )and your full name and address.

have a nice day!

BASTARD!

Trigger_Happy
01-17-2003, 08:12 PM
I've done this WAAAAAAAY too many times before :rolleyes:

1. Contact a detective at your local police dept. Detectives LOVE working on big international cases like this because it makes them look come when the performence reviews come around ;)

2. Go a ahead an call the Postal Inspectors, but I'll tell you right now what they do: They send you a letter a year after you complain saying "We put your complaint in our system, if 3+ other people whine about him in the future, we might look into your case if we feel like it.....maybe."

3. Have the detective obtain court orders that make Paypal/ebay/his ISP/etc. turn over his ID. Once you have his ID (and the blessing of the detective ;)), file in small claims. He will get papers served saying "You are being sued, moron. Show up in the plaintiff's home town (Yes, he has to buy a plane ticket from Spain....errrr....Cananda....wait...the US :)) on such and such a date, or he will win by default. Fileing for a court date will cost you $30-$40, but it will scare the piss out of him, and you'll get your money back soon enough!

4. After he get's the papers served, call him up and have a little chat. This is the part where you get to make outrageous claims, insult him, etc ;)

NOTE: Please ignore step four! Also, collect as much evidence as you can before you do anything else. Print the auction's page lot of time, any correspondence, receipts, etc.

Have a go at it:D See what happens. If all goes well you will get your money back plus a bit of "time and effort" courtroom bonus payoff. ;)

I just wish less people tried this scam crap. It wastes MY time, and I'm sick of it:rolleyes: Let us all know what happens!

*EDIT* Ebay won't help you, don't waste your time. Criminals are smarter than to use the same ebay account more than onece, and all ebay will do is close down the account he screwed you with.

DO contact the MO issuer, though, they will pass the buck as muas they can, but they will have his contact info, and having a police case # tends to make them want to give it to you ;)

SlipknotX556
01-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Well Ebay, if you dont send the product, you can get in serious trouble, ebay is a legal auction site. Do report it to ebay.

Trigger_Happy
01-17-2003, 08:30 PM
If only ebay backed their "big talk" with some kind of investigation team or something:rolleyes:

Mossman
01-18-2003, 01:45 AM
LOL.
I think he's casting an evil vampire spell on me :)

After he refused to give me a serial I told him too bad, but my 1400 dollars wont help to pay the ebay fees...gonna be sorta expensive on a 1400 dollar close :)

Then he responded with this:

ba sa iti dau la muie date dracu de mustu ,jegosule ,sa te iau in pula mai

rdb123
01-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Doesn't look like Espanol to me lol.

-Ron

rdb123
01-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Mossman
LOL.
I think he's casting an evil vampire spell on me :)

After he refused to give me a serial I told him too bad, but my 1400 dollars wont help to pay the ebay fees...gonna be sorta expensive on a 1400 dollar close :)

Then he responded with this:

ba sa iti dau la muie date dracu de mustu ,jegosule ,sa te iau in pula mai

Btw, do any companies have some sort of database online where you can plug in a serial number and see if it was stolen or not?

Wild_Osiris
01-18-2003, 03:13 PM
did any of u guys get his home number or can u?

Trigger_Happy
01-18-2003, 08:35 PM
He will fight tooth and nail to keep from giving you his real number. He's not a moron!

battlegroup
01-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Here is a link to the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center. Use it to report internet fraud.

https://www.ifccfbi.gov

Jonno06
01-18-2003, 11:34 PM
that isnt even a language...i just tried to translate it from every language..and no cigar.

good luck catching this guy though.

*ArKfEaR*
01-19-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Wild_Osiris
The guy has the money sent to a place in spain,

Nuff said.

No offense but your friend was played for a sucker. The sad part is its is own fault for being so ignorant. First off no feedback, he didnt notice the the fact that he states two different areas. Plus once you go sending money out of the states, you know, KNOW! you are going to get ripped off.

I hope he gets his money back but man, people have to be less stupid and more aware of the fact that this is cash not monopoly money but real.