PDA

View Full Version : Snatch grip for Mags?

Ov3rmind
01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Well, after playing around with some guns with snatch grips (Angels to be specific), I actually started liking these things. I know many of you think they are pointless (they don't make the gun shoot better anyway), but walking around with your gun or sprinting off the break, they can feel very comfy. On top of that, they just look cool! Any way, I've noticed that guns with a bit more meat behind the trigger frame (Cockers, Angels, Timmys, etc.), and aren't freakishly tall, are prime candidates for snatch grips. This is mainly due to the fact that it's easy to wrap your hand around the back. Looking at Mags, I think this would be a kind of cool idea.

Now before you jump on my back about pointless upgrades, look around at all the snazzy stuff people are already doing to their Mags purely for looks (sight rails, milled body rails, body extending over the barrel, etc.). Lets just face it, almost everyone likes a nicer looking gun. I think if done right, a snatch grip could look pretty cool on a Mag, and for some of us, it would add some comfort.

So far, I have not seen anything like this available for current Mag owners. I was thinking, if someone has the resources to do this, they could make a snatch grip integrated with the body rail. To me, it would just look cleaner and flow with the gun much better (as opposed to a seperate peice that had to be attached to the rear screw of the grip frame).

Well, waddaya think? Gimmicky? Pointless? Kinda' cool?

HoppysMag
01-17-2003, 10:02 PM
some one like to explain these "Snatch grips"?:confused:

Jonesie
01-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag
some one like to explain these "Snatch grips"?:confused:

Ditto! :)

Jonesie

Ov3rmind
01-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Thought someone might ask:
http://www.cobrapaintball.com/Accessories/Angels/cbr_fang_grp_ir3_gun.jpg
http://www.cobrapaintball.com/Accessories/Angels/cbr_fang_grp_gun.jpg
http://shaydee.hypermart.net/angel/IMAG0010.JPG
They're also referred to as "fang grips" and "tail grips."

FalconGuy016
01-17-2003, 10:27 PM
I cant figure it out :confused:

Xerces
01-17-2003, 10:28 PM
does it have a function?

ncpballguy
01-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Pic of a liquid snatch grip on a matrix.

ncpballguy
01-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Ov3rmind beat me to it. It lets you grab the back of your gun to run with or just to hold while waiting for the next game.

Ov3rmind
01-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Larger grip integrated into trigger frame (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63994)
http://www.pbnation.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1296005
It doesn't improve your gun's performance at all, it just makes holding your gun a little more comfy. It's also a little nice if you play the front (when you sprint up on the break, this'll give you a good grip on your gun). It'd be a relatively inexpensive part, just an idea I had.

EsPo
01-17-2003, 10:50 PM
so the point is so you can pic up your gun easier? looks cool, id buy one if they were for mags.

BarryTolar
01-17-2003, 11:12 PM
I've taken to carrying my Mag around like I had one of those on it.

Just grab the valve/rail and go.

Barry

DiRTyBuNNy
01-18-2003, 01:03 AM
I think the standard EMag would do quite well with a snatch grip..it'd make it a little easier to run with off the break becuase it's so rear heavy..

Evil Bob
01-18-2003, 02:44 AM
They're for those who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, or more appropriate, run and gun at the same time, just call it the "Sissy Bar" for paint guns.

-Evil Bob

Ov3rmind
01-18-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Evil Bob
They're for those who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, or more appropriate, run and gun at the same time, just call it the "Sissy Bar" for paint guns.

-Evil Bob
Hey, if it makes it easier to play for ya', there's nothing wrong with that. I don't really see a performance decrease anyway.

PsychoBaller
01-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Unless they would be $5-10 bux for mags..... i think i would skip on buying them.... personal preference kinda thing....

~da "not really for it" baller

RetroEclipseMan
01-18-2003, 03:53 AM
I've always carried my mag around by the back of it whenever I'm in the parking lot waiting to play. I've never actually ran with it like that on the field just because there is not much there to hold onto and i don't wanna look like a goon when I drop my gun doing that. I've seen quite few people with those snatch grips on their guns and have always wanted to try one out off the break just to see if it's easier to run with by holding it by that like they all say.

magman007
01-18-2003, 06:55 AM
it seems like a feasable idea, to make an easy one, all we wouild have to do would be lengthen the field strip screw a little more. to the exact length of the sthickness of the snatch grip

EsPo
01-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by magman007
it seems like a feasable idea, to make an easy one, all we wouild have to do would be lengthen the field strip screw a little more. to the exact length of the sthickness of the snatch grip
thats what i was thinking, it shouldnt be hard at all to do.

pito189
01-18-2003, 10:09 AM
I carry mine around like that quite a bit. With my milled down rail, it fits nicely in my hand. That is also a very good balance point on my E-Mag.

I have done it in a game before it helps on those runs, when you are not shooting at all, just busting your butt to get to the front bunker.

50 cal
01-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Alllright! Another useless option to hang on a paintgun.

shartley
01-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Some might think they are useless things, but on some markers they actually add more style, as well as function if they USE it.

I use a sight rail on my RT Pro but only for looks. After all I sight down the side of the marker and not over the top. So I see nothing wrong with accessories that may be nothing more than esthetic touches to a marker.

So…… YES! I will put that on my product list. I have an RT Pro, so of course I will start with that first. And then I will move to the other mags in the AGD stable. :) I will make them out of pewter if that is what folks would like.

Mine would be an additional part, as the other snatch grips on the market are…. but made just for mags. I can even make a loop at the end for attaching a lanyard if folks think they would like this feature.

Feedback please…..

etnie002
01-18-2003, 11:14 AM
thats a pretty cool idea, but what i was wondering is why u dont just hold your gun by the trigger frame when running? it works just fine for me and most of eveyrone else lol, but i have seen the snatch grip on angels and such, but i guess its just what you prefer.

madmatt151
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
What's wrong with SISSY BARS!?!?!?!

Ironmag
01-18-2003, 12:48 PM
I think the Beaversnatch by Evil Paintball Products is a great idea for cockers and liked it when I first saw it. I'll probably put that on my cocker soon.

http://www.evil-paintball.com/images/p-ckr-beavertail1.jpg

Gunga
01-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by magman007
all we wouild have to do would be lengthen the field strip screw a little more. to the exact length of the sthickness of the snatch grip

Well, I suppose the 'snatch grip' is a good idea, though I'd never use one.

But it brings up the question, who is going to make these new field strip screws? Easier said than done.

Now, if you had an older Automag whose body rail has holes in the back for a back bottle adapter, you'd be fine. You'd just need a couple screws (specifically the Back Bottle Bolts (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=286&CATID=6)). But that'd leave users of newer Automags/MiniMags and users of RT/RT Pro/E-Mag/X-Mags out in the cold. At least without a longer field strip screw. I for one wouldn't want my FSS to be just partially in the valve.

BlueMagRT
01-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Actually the newer classic rails can be used with the back bottle adapter screws (not sure about rt pro's/e-mags). i have a newer rail and it doesn't have knock outs, but it has dimples to mark the screw centers. using these i was able to drill my own holes to put the set screws through. when i was done they lined up perfectly. was a little more work but is still an option.

FutureMagOwner
01-18-2003, 01:38 PM
accualy i dont think it would have to be longer it could since you dont have to screw it in fully you just do to keep the grip secure and such. however it would have to be a bit thin so i wonder how strong it would be and SHartley i would definantly be interested in one where it could be hooked up to a lanyard or something similar(such as potentially a sling)

WARPED1
01-18-2003, 01:46 PM
One word:why?

FutureMagOwner
01-18-2003, 01:55 PM
its easier to carry of course

TheGreatPru
01-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by etnie002
. . . what i was wondering is why u dont just hold your gun by the trigger frame when running? . . .

most standard double trigger 45 frames only leave room for 2 or maybe 3 fingers below the trigger guard, so if you wanna run with out your fingers on the trigger you don't have a lot of grip to hang on to. the snatch grip lets you get 3 or 4 fingers around the gun (and no where close to the trigger) so you have a little bit better grip. balance is a prefference issue, but the purpose is to give you more grip to hang on to

WARPED1
01-18-2003, 02:01 PM
The people that use these are the kind of people who get up and walk around the house for an hour looking for the remote,instead of manually changing the channel,I call them L.A.B's(lazy ___ bums).

etnie002
01-18-2003, 02:02 PM
yeah i know what ur talking about, its just i dont think i would use a grip like that, my gun is tight little mag, which is a little bigger than my hand and balance is not an issue since eveeything is just so close.

WARPED1
01-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Save your money for field fees and paint.

RetroEclipseMan
01-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Hey SHartley, If you find a way to produce these then I'd be in for getting one. I think it's be kinda cool just to just be unique, cause how many mags have you seen with one, not to mention if I had one I would actually use one. Let me know what you think.

OldSchoolMag
01-18-2003, 03:30 PM
These really don't serve any purpose. So you can run a bit faster (maybe, who knows) but then, say you see an easy shot - first you slip it into your left hand, because you were holding it in the right, then back to the right. Well, by this time, you've already been shot.

Why not hold it by the trigger frame? It's about the same number of fingers, all you have to do is hold on! If you drop the gun, maybe you should get one of those finger strengtheners, who knows. This is just another worthless product, in my opinion.

OSM

RetroEclipseMan
01-18-2003, 03:35 PM
They're actually made more or less for front players that are making bunkers on the 40 and 50 right off the break where they aren't shooting until they get into their bunkers. As a front player if this is gonna allow me to run even a bit faster and make it into my bunker even a quarter second faster than the other teams front players then it's definately worth it to me.

agdemagman69
01-18-2003, 03:41 PM
yeah, i've always wanted one for my mag, i could never run with it by holding int under the valve...

if someone wants to make one for me, PM me

WARPED1
01-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Ever hear of holding the grip so you can shoot your marker?

agdemagman69
01-18-2003, 04:41 PM
ever heard of holding the gun differently so you can make it to the 50 WITHOUT GETTING SHOT?

(PS its what this thread is about)

WARPED1
01-18-2003, 04:43 PM
All you odd players,ever hear of shooting while running?

RetroEclipseMan
01-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Dude, this thread wasn't started to flame those of us who think it's a good idea or those that think it's not a good idea. Like I already said the main purpose of it is to use it while running to bunkers at the 50 off the break where you're not shooting on the run. Other than that I've never seen anyone actually carry their gun like that once they start moving to their secondary bunkers. Like a lot of things in paintball it's a personal preference thing and if we like the concept that that's cool and if you don't like it then that's cool to, you just don't gotta put people down for playing differently.

I personaly think it would be a good idea if SHartley developed one that would work with a mag and I would definately buy one and if he needs any imput or ideas then I'll toss in my 2 cents.

RRfireblade
01-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
Well, waddaya think? Gimmicky? Pointless? Kinda' cool?

Pointless. I don't see how holding your gun differently will make you run faster.I for one,try to always be ready to shoot whether I'm trying to make a bunker or not.

Jay.

I'll need a reciept for my 2 cents,thanx.

etnie002
01-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Shartley if you make these snatch grips will you also provide the longer field-strip screw? and how much they going to cost?

shartley
01-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Okay…..

For those who say they serve NO purpose…. You may be right, but if the person buying them thinks they do, who is THEN right? ;) My point is that like I stated, folks use sight rails for decorative purposes only, and I am one of them. Does that mean we are stupid? How about those folks that pay extra to get their markers painted special colors, or other than “stock” colors? What purpose does THAT serve? How does that help your game? And how about special milling? The list could go on and on…. ;)

There are companies that make these snatch grips for other markers, and they SELL. :D But, it seems that no one is making them for Mags. I am sure every player will not want one, but why not have some available for those who DO? For me, it is about providing a product that AO users want, even if it is only a few. If I can make them and have them be cost effective for me AND the customer, it is a go. No one gets hurt, no one is stupid, and everyone is happy.

Now, for the longer screw issue… I will have to see how it all turns out. We may not NEED a longer one (as someone else posted), it depends on how it all fits together and how much of the screw is actually being used. So, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

As for the price… again, that depends on how much material I have to use, how long it takes me to make each one, etc. I will however try to make them reasonable and as close to the cost of current snatch grips on the market. But folks have to realize that I am not a machine, and I am not mass producing these… as well as they will be hand crafted.

Now with that all said…… this will not be done overnight. I have more keychains to make, have some custom grips orders to get done, etc. But I will get to them as soon as I can. I also have to make sure that they will hold up well, and are designed right… after all, I am not using aluminum, I will be using pewter.

Thank you all for your interest and although it was not my idea, I will do my best to get you the product you are wanting.

Side note: etnie002 what the heck does your signature mean? LOL

etnie002
01-18-2003, 05:42 PM
well you flamed me one time(no hard feelings, lol), b/c my signature was too big, so when i changed it i wrote "all done shartley"

agdemagman69
01-18-2003, 05:48 PM
your making keychains? details?

when you start making them can i get one annoed silver for my sfl?;)

shartley
01-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Keychains... follow the link in my signature....

agdemagman69
01-18-2003, 05:53 PM
oh damn, i thought you might be making those little x-mag keychains...

im going to order an AO keycain anyway :D

RetroEclipseMan
01-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Well since I now know you're actually gonna do them Sam then you can put me down for one.

Cryer
01-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Shartley-
I would very much like to have a snatch grip. If they do turn out well, I would purchase one in a heartbeat. I've actually toyed with the idea myself, but I don't have access to any machining equipment, nor do I know anyone (personally) who does.
One thing I did wonder, would a snatch grip for another gun fit a mag (has anyone TRIED it?)?
Anyways, I would like one.

FutureMagOwner
01-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by shartley
Now, for the longer screw issue… I will have to see how it all turns out. We may not NEED a longer one (as someone else posted)

man i take the time to make sure i fully spell your name correctly and you dont even remeber who said it!;)

shartley
01-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by FutureMagOwner
man i take the time to make sure i fully spell your name correctly and you dont even remeber who said it!;)
LOL Actually if you look, in that post I was addressing several issues and did not specify who I was talking to directly. ;) I just thought it was easier to post openly and address all issues together than to quote and post back to each person. :D

I will try to single you out next time though… FutureMagOwner…. ;) Oh…and thanks for not forgetting my “E”. :D

funkmunky56
01-06-2004, 05:33 PM
whoa... see what you dig up when searching for useless stuff? heh

I made a snatch grip for my emag. it turned out okay. but, I'm redesigning it when I get time, cuz the wings on the emag rail were annoying, and I'd like to make one that doesn't require rail modification to be comfy. Bolt on styleeeee...

a 10-32 countersunk screw of the proper length, with the tip rounded to match the field strip screw, works great. no need for new fancy field strip screws (especially since, when was the last time you heard of someone actually FIELDSTRIPPING their mag? I mean, come on, it needs to be allenwrench-tight, folks)

anyway... back to work. just thought I'd revive this. --Dave

nerobro
01-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Yaknow, old mag rails have screw holes perfect for a snatch grip. I wouldn't reccomend using the field strip screw to hold anything on. Especially with x valves.