PDA

View Full Version : Schevatz etymology

Thordic
01-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Ok, I've been pondering this for a while and I'm sure someone must know the answer.

The word schevatz, often used to describe men of less than steller reputation, morals, hygiene, or any combination thereof, is used often in North Jersey, and I'm sure its used elsewhere as well.

As far as I can figure, its either a corruption of Italian, most likely from a Sicilian dialect, or it's a Yiddish word.

Everyone so far seems to think its Italian, but I can't seem to pin down the root. I studied italian for three years, but thats real italian, sicilian is a very corrupted dialect that I probably wouldn't understand if spoken to me, so if its Sicilian theres a good reason why I wouldn't know the root.

I'm not discounting Yiddish either, because the word sounds a lot like other Yiddish words, and a lot of the slang in English comes from Yiddish.

So does anyone out there have a definitive answer, perhaps a better spelling, or can contribute to this in any way? I'd like to get this sorted out :)

EsPo
01-21-2003, 06:32 PM
damn sicilians.. always messing things up... wait.. im sicilian... hehe..:confused: :eek: :confused:

i am also taking an italian class.. and ive never heard that word before.. my teachers (thats right, 2 teachers) talk in italian constantly, and im yet to hear anything like that.

Thordic
01-21-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm an idiot, its official.

Its a corruption of "schifoso", which in Italian means "disgusting" or "revolting".

I don't know why I didn't of it before. All those years studying Italian down the drain :)

FutureMagOwner
01-21-2003, 07:14 PM
accually alot of slang words come from latin like the latin word facio facere which means to do drive or discuss(i think you can figure out which word its similar if you pronounce it right)

Thordic
01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
They actually aren't sure where the F-word came from, just because a word sounds alike doesn't mean its the root :)

FutureMagOwner
01-22-2003, 04:18 PM
yeah yeah maybe its a mixture of thinks like when new yorkers try to say forget about it and it sounds like fuggeehabouiiiiittttttttt (have no clue how to spell it but its close enough to get it)

Thordic
01-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Its "Fuhgeddaboudit"

:)

magman007
01-22-2003, 05:20 PM
as far as any one knows, the f word was derived from german.....

Facere is not the root, trust me, latin for 4 years, it is not the root