PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a smaller Warp?

Hemorrhage
01-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by cledford
Tom told me at the IAO that he could produce a warp half the size of the current one in a very short time-period. (I got the impression that it is already good to go) The problem is that they (the regular warp) are not taking off and until they do it isn't worth it.

Would you buy a warp half the size of the current one? I know I would. Price isn't really an object for me but the size of the warp is. Maybe if we could show Tom that people would buy a smaller warp he'd make/release one?

Aliens-8-MyDad
01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
with the size decrease, would the weight? if so im all for it......

personman
01-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Aliens-8-MyDad
with the size decrease, would the weight? if so im all for it......
No they are gonna make sure to make it out of stainless steel.. just for you :D

digitard
01-21-2003, 04:07 PM
I'd be down for that possibility if the weight decrease was a decent amount.

Sincerely,
Dave K

LittMag
01-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by personman

No they are gonna make sure to make it out of stainless steel.. just for you :D

sweet... a miniature warp made out of stainless steel... now when I get pissed at someone on the feild, instead of whacking them over the head with my barrel, I can also throw a warp at them!

But seriously, I would love a mini-warp.

lopxtc
01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks to various trades and what not I have owned three warps in the past year and a half ... all of which I got rid of because of weight and size ...

If AGD comes out with a smaller/lighter warp I will be all over it ... I am shooting a classic timmy again and this was the only marker that I really liked the warp on ...

Aaron

Cypres0099
01-21-2003, 04:47 PM
If you made the warp smaller, the wheel would have to be smaller.

If you made the wheel smaller, you would have problems with feeding while shooting out the left side.

The only way you would be able to keep up with it would be to put a halo or something on it. So there goes your weight savings.

It might work, but there would definetly be some problems.

ß.C.
01-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if AGD started making them a tad bit smaller in a little while. This is the kind of constructive thinking we need. Not that insane "I wanna create something revolutionary and crappy though I really don't care" crap we've been getting lately. It's an easy fix too. Good thinking Hemorrhage! and keep it up!

SlartyBartFast
01-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Not sure if I'd want fewer balls in the warp. But if the package could be redesigned to tighten it up it would be nice.

More compact motor in the center of the warp wheel driving the wheel through a planetary gearset perhaps? Something like:[/URL]
Or: [URL=http://www.gearmotor.com/prod-dc.htm] (http://www.mclennan.co.uk/datasheets/european/geared/01-1271.pdf)

Build in the LED/switch/12v (be able to switch between 9v or 12v use) mod that everyone seems to be doing.

Make the battery compartment removeable for those that are driving the warp with another power source.

Rethinking the way it's mounted might help as well. Would it work if the warp was horizontal and fed and discharged through elbows?

battlegroup
01-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I agree with Slartybartfast, but I would like to see an all-in one warp with the hopper built in. This would reduce size and weight by having only one circuit board and one set of batteries. ALSO, the next version of the warp would be great if it had a built in 12v reg connected to a plug port. That way if we want to run the warp off of an e-mag battery we just make the cable and plug it into the warp. The removeable battery holder for the warp would be great too.

ben_JD
01-21-2003, 07:55 PM
I currently own two Warpfeeds and have an X-Mag that should be here soon(?) but I am still not sure I will put my faded-to-match-my-Evil-Pipe Warpfeed on the X-Mag due to weight. Why have one of the lightest markers out there if you are going to throw 18 ounces of Warpfeed onto the side of it?

Undecided as to if I am going to use Warpfeeds, but would be VERY interested in a lighter/smaller version.

Hunter
01-21-2003, 08:12 PM
i would be interested in buying one, that is if the prices stays about the same or better yet if they were to lower them. I would not pay extra for a smaller warp, just because they are smaller wouldnt mean they perform any better, i persoanlly dont mind the feel of the old ones.

FutureMagOwner
01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
im going to buy one either way but the smaller the better! smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller smaller the crowds are chanting tom can you step up to the plate a give us a smaller warp feed? lol

joeyjoe367
01-21-2003, 08:42 PM
I ditched my warpfeed in favor of the upcomming ULE bodies. 18 oz is a *lot* more than I had come to realize. It was ok when I was using a flatline tank, but with an older max-flow, it was just cumbersome.

Smaller Warp is also a possibility of less blockage of fill-nipples and guages too.

Halliday
01-21-2003, 08:56 PM
I am interested in a smaller/lighter Warp!

TheJester
01-21-2003, 09:04 PM
as long as it worked performed the same, yes

CMDane
01-22-2003, 01:10 AM
I'd buy a smaller warp under the following circumstances:
1. Lighter
2. 12v mod, on-off switch and power led that are factory installed (would increase cost, but it would be worth it in the long run).
3. Ability to power a hopper, or be powered by a hopper. Fewer batteries= less weight.
4. Input/Output jacks to be Intellifed and control feed/spin on a hopper (Intelli>>>Warp>>>Rico/Revvy/etc.)

Possibilities that might need some thought:
1. Integrated hopper
2. Horizontal mounting
3. Different motor placement

Most of these have been posted by others, I just wanted to put all my wants in one place. :)

Charles

LaW
01-22-2003, 01:27 AM
I would definately be interested but I mean the warp feed just hasn't taken off...... I can't believe that either, its so great. Ah well one of these days

nerobro
01-22-2003, 02:32 AM
With the halo we don't need to worry about the size of the warp wheel anymore. the halo will continue to feed when on it's side for a few balls... between that and what's in the wheel you have a 5-7 shot burst.

As for making the warp smaller.. you can go with smaller wheels. And if you do it right you could even move the battery and motor inside the warp wheel...

The net weight would end up being somewher in the same vicinity. A good deal of the warps weight is in that dismally heavy casing. Would you accept a weaker warp for less wieght? like one that after a year or two might crack from a close hit side on?

Lighter will mean less durable. That's kinda the tradeoff you make. If you really wanna go light, just throw the hopper on top of hte gun.

roczilla
01-22-2003, 07:28 AM
yepper..i'd buy a new redesigned warp sight unseen cause i use my warp and a halo and a evo2 and i dont care about the weight cause im ripping the opposition a new booty everytime with that heavy *** warp... Honk Honk can't sleep..clown's will eat me:p

nuclear zombie
01-22-2003, 07:36 AM
smaller, lighter,? I'll buy one the minute they are available , I would use one right now except it's like carrying two guns with all that extra weight. How about and auger style warp feed instead of the wheel ?

ChucktheMAGician
01-22-2003, 07:47 AM
I'd buy one too. I need another toy!:rolleyes: :D :)

Xerces
01-22-2003, 08:38 AM
i would love one smaller and lighter with the 12v mod. another thing i would like to see is a plate thats about 1cm longer so i have a few more placement options when manuvering it around my tank.

RamboPreacher
01-22-2003, 08:43 AM
i'd prolly get at least two.

chuckxster3000
01-22-2003, 10:22 AM
i have warp and i like the size but the weight is kinda much. if the smaller warp has les weight then count me in . i would buy

MicroB
02-16-2003, 10:16 AM
I never bought a warp because of it size. I would if they were smaller. Weight never bothered me.

B

misfit
02-16-2003, 10:39 AM
i love my warp, if they can make it smaller/lighter that would be great. i think i remember tom saying that there are 30 some injection molded parts in the warp, so to change all this would be terriably expensive, and with the number of warps that they currently sell, its not worth doing.

..but if he does redo it, please put an o-ring where the revy goes,(like some feed necks) so the damn thing doesnt fall out and i have to ghetto rig it with a piece of tape or something.

dansim
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
if the warp is made smaller ill buy one but since i have a warp breech i may buy one anyway:p

yeahthatsme
02-16-2003, 11:37 AM
me!me!me!mememememememe! omg i would sooooo get one! if i had money at the time i would order it the second i could!

darklord
02-16-2003, 12:04 PM
I'd love to see a smaller warp. If it were lighter, that too would be a plus.

magking1971
02-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Of all the people that I have talked to they said the size and weight is why they never got one for there marker so maybe a smaller size warp would take off and sell well.
You never know until you jump in with both feet tom:D

IcantBelieveit
02-16-2003, 02:40 PM
hrmm i really don't consider the warp to be all that heavy. matter of fact i think it balances my gun out very well. And i would buy a smaller warp just b/c it is something new

Hemorrhage
02-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Well Tom the crowd is asking, so when are you going to deliver?

Johnny_Reb
02-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Definetly, if he made a warp built for front players I would buy it in a heartbeat.:D

mistwolf
02-16-2003, 04:40 PM
I would certainly be interested, my big problem is cost, and I imagine that's a factor in why they haven't taken off more as well. They run 175 at the AGD store, that's close to two months of my paintball budget. Yeah, I really want a warp feed, but I just can't afford it, and I imagine anyone who isn't doing tourneys is in a similar boat. Except RP, who just seems to be rolling in money and markers... Maybe I should joing the CPPA and see if I can afford paintball better!

Jamie

50 cal
02-16-2003, 05:34 PM
I would definately buy a smaller warp. It's pretty good sized hanging off the side of the Emag, lighter would be good too.

mxheadrm
02-16-2003, 11:11 PM
I'd buy one stat! The more compact the better... Now we need a portable nitrogen generator!

Mook564
02-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by magking1971
Of all the people that I have talked to they said the size and weight is why they never got one for there marker so maybe a smaller size warp would take off and sell well.
You never know until you jump in with both feet tom:D

I agree. The only reason I dont have a warp is the size and the weight with a full hopper of balls.

sneakyhacker420
02-16-2003, 11:45 PM
i would want it to be the same size because of the ball capacity in the warp, but i would want it to be lighter

BTAutoMag
02-16-2003, 11:56 PM
what if he did a trial run with 100 smaller warps that were just sold to AO members. with:

-12v mod
-on/off switch of some kind
-led light
-removable battery pack
-integrated hopper

tom?

magking1971
02-17-2003, 08:47 PM
UP for a dang fine idea!!!!
(plus I could sell a mess of these):D

Alexfubar
02-17-2003, 09:05 PM
I want a smaller warp , too. Build an AGD hopper to match, sharing the power source. 3 sets of batteries is too much.

Rynoboy06
02-18-2003, 12:42 PM
And what's to say that sales won't pick up if the product is better? The things people are asking for would tempt me to go get a new version warp over my old one, especially if the differences between the two are large. You could at least show us what they would look like and start kicking some ideas around.

FooTemps
02-18-2003, 05:03 PM
hah, i can just imagine this...

New from AGD: Warp B (not associated with the HALO B)

nerobro
02-18-2003, 05:11 PM
and keep in mind a smaller warp won't hold as much paint. so your upside down and sideways strings would drop from ten to say 5-6 balls.

AGD did play with an integrated hopper.. I dunno, you'd then need to produce left and right handed warps, and I think that's a bit much.

WaRBladE
02-18-2003, 05:31 PM
You are all worried about weight issues... ?!?!

My gun had a 12 in. Stainless Steel Dye last summer with a 88 CI tank...Now I upgraded to a 16 in. Aluminum freak at the end of last summer that weighs less and is more accurate.

:)

(Still is kinda heavy...2 hands to fire ;) )

Paintmanmike
02-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Obviously smaller and lighter are always better but I just do not see how it fits in the rec game.

AGD
02-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately making warps is not like making regular paintball stuff. As you can see its made from injection molded parts. There are about 12 different molds to make the thing so it is a HUGE investment in both time and money.

Unless it became a huge hit it is not possible to invest in more tooling to make it smaller. People would continue to say things that they have always said about not being able to shoot out the left etc.

We cant just machine up a few and see how they go. We have to make injection molds with the idea of selling 10's of thousands of parts. Think about it, if the warp did not exist and I posted a warp prototype in the forum today how do you think you would respond? I look for a 90% we like it response before we go into production. The roller trigger certainly didn't get 90% and I seriously doubt the warp concept would fly even here.

The Warp represents the end of an era in paintball where you just see wild, radical stuff appearing on the market. It's too expensive and players are too picky now about what they want. Look around, you will see that 99% of products today are a new version of an old idea.

AGD

magking1971
02-20-2003, 10:39 PM
/crys:( :( :(

sneakyhacker420
02-20-2003, 10:40 PM
i see now... i used to love my warp, but now i like my mag without it, and the warp is going to go onto my spyder now... but i am very satisfied with it... what i really want to see is an AGD made hopper like a revvy or ricochet... but something better... and different, not as extreme as the halo, but something capable of around 16-17bps just as a regular hopper

what do you guys say to that? an AGD made adgitating hopper?

LaW
02-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Unfortunately making warps is not like making regular paintball stuff. As you can see its made from injection molded parts. There are about 12 different molds to make the thing so it is a HUGE investment in both time and money.

Unless it became a huge hit it is not possible to invest in more tooling to make it smaller. People would continue to say things that they have always said about not being able to shoot out the left etc.

We cant just machine up a few and see how they go. We have to make injection molds with the idea of selling 10's of thousands of parts. Think about it, if the warp did not exist and I posted a warp prototype in the forum today how do you think you would respond? I look for a 90% we like it response before we go into production. The roller trigger certainly didn't get 90% and I seriously doubt the warp concept would fly even here.

The Warp represents the end of an era in paintball where you just see wild, radical stuff appearing on the market. It's too expensive and players are too picky now about what they want. Look around, you will see that 99% of products today are a new version of an old idea.

AGD

Well said by the man with the answers ;) My take on the warp is that it was a big hit idea for a lot of people first using it. Then once they got settled, it was a love/hate relationship from then on out.

After about 1.5 years with a warp I have just decided to not use it during regular play anymore just because of...

1) the weight 2) i am getting more sloppy playing with it for some reason 3) its just getting phased out it seems.... I will still use it during Big games and scenarios but not for much else.

The things I will miss is the lower profile, and shooting out the left was great for me and the feed rate....

What i wont miss is the huge thing on the side of my marker, the weight, the bulky'ness of it... It seemed as though my setup just was huge and so with a norise it will be much more mobiler persay

On a final thought, one of the best ideas in paintball!!!! I think if only it could have adapted better to my playing style ( I did give it a year, I gave it a chance... only played about 5 months out of that 1.5 years i had it though)

luke
02-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by sneakyhacker420
what i really want to see is an AGD made hopper like a revvy or ricochet... but something better... and different,
Tom has already designed a hopper and holds a patent on it. He said he would probably never market it...........

TheGreyMage
03-05-2003, 03:43 PM
the concept of the warp requires much refinement in my minds eye. i think the idea is reverlutionary, and even though i did not like the idea at first and thought it rather unesesary, i have started to warm to the idea of it. i have shot a mag with one on, but found the actual size not the weight to be the most comberson problem with the product. i also found that my friends mag was not set up as comfortably as i would have liked, with a z-grip and crssfire screw in tank rught under the frame. i found the warp to get in the way of my second hand, and had a bit of trouble placing it. a smaller warp that fits very close and perhaps a little bit farther forward would remedy much of this problem.

Patron God of Pirates
03-05-2003, 04:04 PM
What we need is the Whopper (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45869&highlight=Whopper)

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=411364

hitmanng
03-06-2003, 12:27 AM
The problem with the warp is very much the same problem that the z-grip had. Too much too fast. The z-grip was weird but look at the new angel IR3. They are getting there but slower. Look at the tipman A5 and the concept on the Omen. They are kind of like little warps built in. Force feed concept. The first time I saw a warp on a gun I thought how can you hold that. The first time I held it is was like man this is heavy. The first time I played against one I thought man that guy can play tight. Then I flanked him and hit him in the side of the head. The warp may or may not eventially go mainstream. I doubt it ever will due to it's current weight and size. People are all about shaving a few pounds off here and there and with the new force feed loaders the speed issue the warp used to give you is gone. I just don't feel the need to shoot more than a few balls sidways and my halo gives me that. I do not have enough hopper hits to justify a warp as that in my mind is its practical advantage. Well, that and apparently looking at a girls jugs, but that is a whole other issue.
Smaller may be better but now is not the right time for that kind of investment. AGD is changing their image simply look at an old magazine and a new one. A mag used to be a grey tube. Now look at an SFL or X-mag or even a modular or a slug body. AGD is coming into thier time. One day we may all be shooting roller z-grips with warps but the world is not ready for that yet.
Hitmanng

FooTemps
03-06-2003, 12:48 AM
I'd love a smaller and lighter warp... it's just that price is a big issue for me. Maybe if AGD showed it off at an event and sat back and watched the response to it. If it was extremely good would AGD consider producing it?

PsychoBaller
03-06-2003, 03:45 AM
I'm finally leaning towards a warp...... but I agree..... gots to be smaller/lighter.... or sumtin.... for now I'm searching for a used Red one.

~da baller

NiteWolf1138
03-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I have what I consider the perfect warp design.... but I don't have CAD or any way to draw it out :( . What do I do? :confused:

NiteWolf1138

WARPED1
03-06-2003, 02:00 PM
I'd buy one in a heart beat. It would be great, 5x5!

nuclear zombie
03-06-2003, 03:18 PM
I think that AGD should make a hopper/warp where it is all one assembly that uses just one motor and one set of batteries. For us who want/play with a warp and want something lighter it would sell and until it reaches this stage I doubt you will see many proteams using them.

I know that AGD would sell at least 200 of them if they were made . :)

nerobro
03-06-2003, 05:58 PM
What would you pay for a whopper.... "I" could do it..... I should have something done in a week or 3. (depends on other things going on) Hmm.. sounds like its time for a trip to menards for some more blue foam and more polyester resin. *grins* this could get interesting.

PsychoBaller
03-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Patron God of Pirates
What we need is the Whopper (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45869&highlight=Whopper)

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=411364

If you built this thing, I think I would buy one depending on its weight and size total. Looks like a good concept, get working on protos.

~da baller

PzYcO
03-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by PsychoBaller

If you built this thing, I think I would buy one depending on its weight and size total. Looks like a good concept, get working on protos.

~da baller

If had a spare warp & revvy/empire/etc i would start on one... :rolleyes:

automan39
03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
What would you pay for a whopper.... "I" could do it..... I should have something done in a week or 3. (depends on other things going on) Hmm.. sounds like its time for a trip to menards for some more blue foam and more polyester resin. *grins* this could get interesting.
nerobro how would u do something like that?
thanx

PzYcO
03-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Ive already started on constructing a whopper.

Impy-rocks
03-15-2003, 06:32 PM
one of the reasons i do not have a warp is b/c of its size, but i would be willing to try a smaller/lighter one if it is the same price...

-later

jfreak
03-15-2003, 08:14 PM
I've pretty much wanted a Warp since they first came out. Price, weight, and size have always held me back though. If AGD can address these issues, I will definately own one.

DeadpoolNSH
03-15-2003, 11:32 PM
This message is for Mr. Kaye, or AGD. This is coming from someone who doesn't have a Warp Feed....in fact I'm just now working on getting my first AGD marker(E-mag). When I first saw the warp feed, I thought "yeah it moves the hopper but it adds more hit area, it'll never sell".

Honestly, in my opinion the warp has risen INSANELY fast in popularity. Especially considering how different it is from the traditional feed. I've been really taking my time considering what is gonna be my new marker, and nearly every picture I have seen of player's guns has a warp on it. It's unbelievable! I was actually worried that anything else was gonna almost become obsolete.

I thought I'd just throw out an opinion from someone who hasn't really looked (or focused) on AGD products (until this month).

If this mini-warp is out of the question, I think that whopper is a good idea. Or some other hopper designed to fit against the gun better.

JT2002
03-16-2003, 12:27 PM
just thought of something, yeah one reasoon they wont do it is cuz of the molds that cost a couple hundred thousand each, and then there this. now think about it, smaller warp means smaller wheel which means that you will get less shots when holding gun at a 90* angel. so even if u people bought all these "smaller" warps, you guys would then go and start whining about how bad the warp is cuz u can only get off 5 shots with the gun on its side. so going small will hurt you more than a normal warp. there really isnt anything wrong with the warps size, its really pretty small already. so, if it just sits in front of your chest, why are all u guys whining about size? so Come to think of it, i would NOT buy a smaller warp.

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
05-01-2003, 02:58 AM
I love my warp. If you want to get it cheaper look to the auctions. I got mine on ebay for 82. some cosmetic scratches but nothing a sticker or two wouldn't take care of. I'd buy a smaller one if the design didn't reduce performance. If you incorporate a hopper into the warp, when a better hopper design comes along you are stuck with the integrated hopper. Therefore, I think that an integrated hopper is an inferior design.

Vegard
05-01-2003, 04:03 PM
I`ll buy one. I`m also buying one of the current ones atm :)