PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about Ski season

Orange Crush
01-22-2003, 12:17 PM
My future wife to be and I want to go skiing/snowboarding for our honeymoon. We were planning for mid to late November and I have heard there aren't many places that have a decent base that time of year. We are using a week of her mom's time share and unfortunatley she doesn't have the peak weeks, so December and January are out of the question. So the question is, is there anywhere to go snowboarding in mid November? Canada, and Europe are fair candidates.

FactsOfLife
01-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Well, the farther North you go...

Whistler-Blackcomb is a fair bet for having decent cover by then. You could always try skiing the Chugach in Alaska:eek:

EsPo
01-22-2003, 01:28 PM
are you just starting out snowboarding/skiing, or are you "experts"?

Orange Crush
01-22-2003, 01:30 PM
I checked out Whistler-Blackcomb and it looks pretty good, gonna ad that to the list of possibilities. Chugach looks like its all backwoods skiing requiring helicopters or sno-cats...its expensive and my woman has never been...so that's probably not a good place. Thanks though!!

Anyone else?!

ShooterJM
01-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Well. How good are you? If this is you're girl's first time I'd stick to whistler. Wait till you're good to go somewhere nice. You'll enjoy it a lot more then.

pbstu
01-22-2003, 02:56 PM
go to whistler, i live about 2 hours from it, no matter what level of skier you are theres plenty to keep you busy for weeks on end. i highly recommend it.

stu.

Orange Crush
01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Even in November?!

pbstu
01-22-2003, 03:32 PM
hmm, if its a good season yes, bad season no. this year they opened sometime early december i think, and this year has been an el nina, the warm one, come fall next year there it will be a lot clearer what kind of season its going to be. if you do decide to go to whistler stop off at the 7-eleven in squamish, which is on the sea to sky highway, and buy your tickets there, theyre 10-15 cheaper.

stu.

Automaggin2
01-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Check out Smugglers Notch, Okemo, and Killington in vermont, excellent facilities!

gimp
01-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Bretton woods was open before thanksgiving this year, I think. I know it was open on thanksgiving. They're getting a lot better than they used too. They had pretty decent snow for that time of year. It's an easy mountain too, so she'll be happy. If you say your a local when you get your ticket, they usually give you a discount. If they ask what town your from just pick one right around there.

Orange Crush
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the great info guys!!

Unfortunately, it looks like there is no availability at any of the resorts at a time when there would be snow. In fact, there is no availability at Whistler for us at any time of the year. :mad: We are considering Amsterdam now!! :D

Automaggin, I'll check those out when I get home from work, but I doubt we'll have availability there either.

Looks like we can go to the arctic in the summer and tropics in the winter...LOL.

paintbattler
01-22-2003, 09:47 PM
pm emagster...he is the best skiing on this side of the country (literally for his age)

spacemanspiff
01-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Mt. Hood Oregon all year ski/snowboarding.

WicKeD_WaYz
01-22-2003, 10:39 PM
i would recommend mammoth in n. cali.

they always seem to get dumped on really early in the season. You should have no problem renting a place to stay if you start looking now.

Quiet
01-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Try Portes de Soleil in France, its got enough elevation that there should be plenty of snow even that early in the season. If the Skiing is a bust Paris can be very romantic and there are lots of sights to see in Europe.

-Vermont would be nice later in the season but not that early.
-Mt Hood in Oregon would be a bad idea, sure they have year round skiing/boarding but that is just on the glacier. That time of the year there are a lot of teams doing early season training there, the only nice accomodation is Timberline lodge. It is also the gray season there so you wont have mant sunny days.
-Whistler has year round on its glacier same as Hood and there are a lot more resorts and restaurants, plus a favourable exchange rate for you.
-You could try a place like Telluride in Co, It has a high elevation so there would be good chance for snow. It is also in a very scenic area, with plenty of restaurants and the like.

Hope this helps

ShooterJM
01-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah telluride's a good bet.

Check out Wolf Creek and Snowmass, they both had some crazy base snow early this season. Depending on snow check Arapahoe Basin too. They have a history of opening at the first possible instance. There has been years where the close in June and reopen in August.

PolishSausage
01-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Check out Chille, probably some of the best skiing ever.

Theres always the Swiss Alps as well.

Jimmi9999
01-24-2003, 05:49 AM
what ever you do don't come to utah to ski. we haven't had snow for a few months.

Brak
01-24-2003, 05:37 PM
go to jay peak in northern vermont. it has the most snow in the country in the east, and its almost in canada so you can go and laugh at canadians for a day! but be warned, its cold, very, very, very, cold. so cold, so cold.