PDA

View Full Version : Starter Guns: Automag or Minimag?

11_Mile_TMaster
01-23-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I am throwing a bit of a proposal together to attempt to get my school to purchase some paintball equiptment. Myself waiting for my X-Mag preorder to be filled, (God hopes before May...) I decided to try to put together an automag setup, so that when/if we ever get to play against other schools, we would be able to be somewhat competitive, but I want them to get something that is not too difficult to maintain, and very tough.

My main question is, which would YOU guys reccomend? An Automag, or a MiniMag? Any specific upgrades?
Remember that I'm trying to keep the cost of each package (Gun, Basic hopper, Mask, CO2 tank) under $500. (I know that's a VERY tight budget, but this is a catholic school.)

And to tack a stupid question on, Does any bottomline adapter work on a Minimag?

yeahthatsme
01-23-2003, 10:13 PM
dude with 500 bux you could get a cheapish air tank, 68 mag and a 9v revy and a random goggle system..and maybe have some left over...

RRfireblade
01-23-2003, 10:27 PM
To answer your main question,there's basically no real differense between the two,except you can typically get a classic mag a fair amount cheaper than a mini.

Jay.

street1356
01-23-2003, 10:56 PM
get TKO mags from pbgear.net u can get them for 290

cphilip
01-23-2003, 11:11 PM
I believe you can get some of the Automag Rentals for around 300 each. Depends on how many you want they can be even lower. I can check on that for you. I am just going from memory so I could be off a bit. But they are very maintenance free with fixed barrels and all. Assuming you want Mags thats a decent way to go. They make great rentals if you can afford to. But if you cannot then you cannot beat Tippmans for tough cheaper choice. They ugly but they take a beating. In the long run they will not last as long but you get what you pay for and they are a decent choice if you realy need one.

Mossman
01-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Bro, 500 can buy you some package.

TKO mag for 300
47/3000 Nitro for 80 or 20oz co2 for 30 (depends what fills u can get)
Flex7 30 bucks or so if you look around.

Anyhow, I think you're either gonna have to lie considerably to whoever makes this decision or you're school has money coming out the ears for them to buy full gun setups. It isn't a highschool sport...you're not gonna be able to formally play against other schools easily.

Even though I know nothing about the situation I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

11_Mile_TMaster
01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Well... It's actually a college, in Michigan for that matter... We could get our arse kicked by MTU! =D

And I can easily justify the investment. We have CANOES at our School. CANOES! And theyre used like twice a year. I'm sure the paintball equiptment would be much better used.

The problem is getting them to spend 5k for 10 guns. Unfortunately, The guy I talked to who's helping me with this seems to be more interested in the prospect of 12 Spyder TL+ Setups for 2.5k. I can understand his position, Yes, we do have the GD Canoes, but 5k is a pretty big initial investment...
For those that are wondering, no, I'm not going to suggest Tippmans, I've had very good luck with my Spyders, I know how to maintain them if something does go south, and I don't want to create a bunch of Tippman nazis. =D

I'll submit both, hopefully they can see the better quality of the mags.

Thanks for your advice, especially the link to PBgear.

spazzed
01-24-2003, 02:37 PM
I'd still avoid the Spyder's... Tippy's will last you longer & cause you less problems.

FalconGuy016
01-24-2003, 02:52 PM
I wouldnt ask anything more in life than to have my highschool play paintball

jtcato
03-11-2003, 10:43 AM
What college do you go to in michigan? I'm from Saginaw, and I have a few friends going to MTU right now, but not in the sport. I was just curious.

ben_JD
03-11-2003, 10:51 AM
My opinion:

If you are really getting an X-Mag soon, do not waste the money on a CO2 setup. Go ahead and drop the coin now on a decent HPA system (Flatline is one GREAT system; also can get some quality fiber screw-in HPA tanks for cheap). The CO2 is useless with X-Mag and the HPA will work with everything. I would also go ahead and get a nice hopper (Revolution 12v or HALO). The tank and the hopper can just be moved over to your X-Mag when it arrives.

Then get a used Automag Classic and perhaps a Level 10. At that point, you will be well-equipped for your next inter-mural match.

PzYcO
03-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Check this out, this would be a good set up for rental guns or what ever, you can always change stuff around, you dont have to use exactly whats pictured. (sorry for big image)

PzYcO
03-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 11_Mile_TMaster
I'm not going to suggest Tippmans, I've had very good luck with my Spyders, I know how to maintain them if something does go south, and I don't want to create a bunch of Tippman nazis. =D

Oh god, if i could only get it through the people at my school's heads, that TIPPMANS ARENT THE BEST THING INTHE WORLD, THEY SUCK! =) I always tell this one kid how one part on my gun is worth his whole gun, then he starts some bs like well you dont have clamshell and it takes me 15 mins to get my gun apart, so then i start laughing and say i can take my gun apart(all the way, valve & etc) and put it back together in under 10 mins... :D