PDA

View Full Version : brass plating a mag?

la690
01-24-2003, 05:36 PM
is it possible to brass plate a rail, body and intelliframe? curious.

logamus
01-24-2003, 05:57 PM
i dont know if you can or cant, but why would you want to? that would have to look terrible.

Cha0tic
01-24-2003, 06:04 PM
the tolerances between the body/rail/gripframe are very exact. the plating would screw it up.

magnj
01-24-2003, 06:25 PM
that would look so hardcore, I doubt it would work, maybe you could just make a brass body. rail, and frame lol

RRfireblade
01-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Just gold plate it.You can do it yourself w/ a cheap kit,and it adds like .001 of material.The bonus is you can wear it around your neck when you go clubbing. :p

Jay.

Brak
01-24-2003, 07:45 PM
WOOOHOOOOO CLUBBIN!!!!!!

id like to see a gold plated mag

la690
01-24-2003, 09:55 PM
i think it would be cool. how would one go abouts purchasing a kit of the sort and what would it run me? most importantly, would it work? i understand how plating could mess stuff up.

Russ
01-25-2003, 12:18 AM
I don't believe that anything can be brass plated. Anyways, brass tarnishes real easy, and will look like heck in no time. Gold plating would be a viable option, althjough it wouldn't be cheap...

billmi
01-25-2003, 11:17 AM
It's possible to plate with brass - often brass objects are plated with a different alloy of brass (brass is an alloy of copper and bronze) so that they can be made of the cheaper alloy, but have a mix ration on the surface that polishes up better.

The problem with brass - it oxidizes - fingerprints, dampness from the air, etc., all attack it. Ever seen a brass barrel, or a PGP that had been stripped of paint? Not a pretty site without constant attention.

Gold plating gives a similar look. But since gold doesn't oxidize, you don't have the tarnishing issues.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

RRfireblade
01-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by la690
i think it would be cool. how would one go abouts purchasing a kit of the sort and what would it run me? most importantly, would it work? i understand how plating could mess stuff up.

I believe you have to nickel the stainless first.That kit's like $95 then 24kt Fastgold is like $85.Now I'm not sure about the Aluminum parts and Gold Plate but I think you could nickel them first as well.
A little pricey maybe but you'd have enough for more than 1 gun/part.

Jay.

RamboPreacher
01-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by billmi
[clip]Gold plating gives a similar look. But since gold doesn't oxidize, you don't have the tarnishing issues.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills mmmm.... Gold...
http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/GS.html
http://www.pentestone.com/paintball/graphics/990726/gs-r.jpg