PDA

View Full Version : zapping people with disposable camera capaciters

rhetor22
01-26-2003, 08:37 PM
To all you electronic smart guys out there:

I have a little 330v 80uf capaciter that i got out of a disposable camera. I've zapped myself three or four times with it and it makes me laugh hysterically.

If i go around zapping my friends with this thing, can it actually do some damage like burn them, or is it just a little zap like it does to me?

I've gotten the 35000volt+ zap from bad wires on my truck, but there isn't much force behind that.

can a 330v 80uf do some damage?

FalconGuy016
01-26-2003, 08:47 PM
I did that to myself once on accident... scared me so bad and it hurt :) (I was trying to get the flashing portion of the camera out causae I wanted to play with it :))

ChucktheMAGician
01-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
I've gotten the 35000volt+ zap from bad wires on my truck, but there isn't much force behind that.

My car is only 12v, what do you have a space ship or something?;) :p :) :D

rhetor22
01-26-2003, 09:02 PM
nah i have spark plugs. :D

Sparq
01-26-2003, 09:21 PM
I used to spend alot of time as a kid taking apart broken electronics...my grand parents brought radios, TV remotes, and of course cameras...LOTS of cameras. I got countless shocks from large fully charged capacitors, and I'm ok (I think, lol).

Come to think of it, I suspect they may have been trying to kill me...

Edit: I doubt it'll do permentant damage...remember, it's Amps, not voltage that do the damage.

madmatt151
01-27-2003, 01:51 AM
THAT IS SO COOL.

Curly
01-27-2003, 04:25 AM
If you take a disposable camera and charge the flash you can then smack it on something hard like a table and it will flash. A couple years ago at summer camp we would do that to people in our cabin in the middle of the night (yes we were very, very bored.

rhetor22
01-27-2003, 05:21 PM
ok how do i juice this thing up? i took it off the circuit board and now i can't get it to work. It might be fried but it doesn't smell like it.

Do i just hook up an AA battery like the one in the camera? The capacitor says 330v. Can it get this from a AA battery or was the one in the camera super special or something?

From my understanding of capacitors they absorb the power from the battery and discharge instantly, so the voltage can be greater.

WickeDKlowN
01-27-2003, 05:45 PM
my firend has a camera rigged up with wires coming out that he shocks people with all the time, and they all seem to be fine.

1stdeadeye
01-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Curly
If you take a disposable camera and charge the flash you can then smack it on something hard like a table and it will flash. A couple years ago at summer camp we would do that to people in our cabin in the middle of the night (yes we were very, very bored.

This one time in band camp we....;)

ChucktheMAGician
01-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
From my understanding of capacitors they absorb the power from the battery and discharge instantly, so the voltage can be greater.
If I remember high school electronics class right capacitors only store a charge, and they can only store what's coming in not increase it.

rhetor22
01-27-2003, 06:55 PM
so all i need is a step up transformer.

hmmmm... need another camera. :D

Paintballzer
01-27-2003, 07:16 PM
LOL, yeah a kid at school was doing that, he stuck 2 wires in where the bulb should be and was zapping stuff. He zapped his cat and it started to like cunvuls he said lol.

Yes capasitors only store a charge, it doesn't increase it.

rhetor22
01-28-2003, 06:45 PM
ah-ha!

my tazer is complete!

350 volts of pure halarious fun in a 3" cube box with two metal probes sticking out.

This will be... fun.

Ultimator
01-28-2003, 06:53 PM
A bastard from my school shocked me and a friend at a Stone Temple Pilots concert with one of those damn things and we beat the crap out of him.

rhetor22
01-28-2003, 07:21 PM
remind me not to shock you

Derman2k
01-28-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm very dumb when it comes to electronics...can someone explain how to do this in laymans terms?

01-29-2003, 01:23 AM
I got a camera and I am pulling it apart. 1:30 in the morning and I am going to shock myself stupid. Boy I feel smart. Could we get diagrams?

Smitty2k1
01-29-2003, 07:48 AM
STP rules, just thought I would comment.

mikey101
01-29-2003, 08:58 AM
I took apart one of those cameras once and the capacitor shocked the hell out of me. didn't hurt so much as it scard me. It scard me so bad a through my hand back against the wall and almost put a hole in it.

Smokee_2_7
01-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Ultimator, could the reason you got shocked so bad have anything to do with it raining and you being soaking wet at the concert??

Just wondering.

(P.S., i would have beat the crap out of him too)

Carl

Impy-rocks
01-30-2003, 11:50 AM
we were on a class trip and a we shocked one of the kidz(who isn't exactly the smartest person ever)and well he had a huge blister come up on his hand were we shocked him, then he wanted to see it..... he then decided he would get back at all of us, but everytime he tried to shock one of us he would shock himself.... and on the way home he was sitting a few seats in front of us and we would hear "bzzzt.... s***" that was pretty funny...

-later

Ultimator
01-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Smokee_2_7
Ultimator, could the reason you got shocked so bad have anything to do with it raining and you being soaking wet at the concert??
(P.S., i would have beat the crap out of him too)Yeah that is exactly why, I guess I haven't really thought of that though. It hurt like crap and all the hair on my hand got zapped off and my friend had a pretty big bruise on the underside of his arm.

rhetor22
01-30-2003, 03:30 PM
hahah

these things are fun. my friends are all ascared :D

edweird
01-30-2003, 03:46 PM
My old electric shop teacher (like 10 years ago ugg) used to have this trinket on his desk to mess with ppl that touched the junk on his desk

Basicly ir was a capacitor that was suspended inside a insulatative gel like RTV and the leds were attached diffrent sides of a sheetmetal cube cut along its edges so it had 3 joined sides not contacting the other 3 joined sides.

It was amazing watching countless ppl walk in and have some mundane business only to get fried if they picked it up anyway other than from the safe corners.

if ya want a rough design lemme know

rhetor22
01-30-2003, 04:30 PM
ag. principle took mine away :D

now i get a 4 day weekend to work on the truck :D

AlabamaMan
01-30-2003, 10:52 PM
it's all about charging up capacitors in electroincs lab and then tossig them to people. Unfortunatly they will get the idea after the first time.

MrMag
01-31-2003, 01:54 AM
well when i was a wee one, i tried to take a apart a disposable camera to see how it work, and i was using tweezers. it scared the poop outa me, then i continued doing it until my mom made me stop

gimp
01-31-2003, 02:03 AM
** Edit **

Dude the Caps in those WILL kill people

Dont be a dork, I belive in Darwinizm and if you want to remove your self from the gene pool, please go ahead.

** Edit ** RobAGD

speeddemon
01-31-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by gimp
** Edit **

Dude the Caps in those WILL kill people

Dont be a dork, I belive in Darwinizm and if you want to remove your self from the gene pool, please go ahead.

** Edit ** RobAGD

Umm, an 80 uf cap will not kill someone. Maybe some bigger caps like 1 farad can, but definately not one out of a camera. It isnt big enough to store that much charge. Now at home my dad has a big 1 farad capacitor thats rated at 120v, that thing when fully charged will melt metal when you touch the leads.

rhetor22
01-31-2003, 08:55 PM
it would be hard to kill someone unless you did it to a 2 year old, some one who's already dead (in that case it may revive them) or someone with a pacemaker.

You could also tape it to your fist and procede to beat the crap out of some unsuspecting guy.

Potatoboy
01-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by speeddemon

Umm, an 80 uf cap will not kill someone. Maybe some bigger caps like 1 farad can, but definately not one out of a camera. It isnt big enough to store that much charge. Now at home my dad has a big 1 farad capacitor thats rated at 120v, that thing when fully charged will melt metal when you touch the leads.

Gimp mentioned using some caps from other sources which rob edited out.

If you know anything about caps, you can probably guess what his untapped source of powerful caps was.

RobAGD
01-31-2003, 10:01 PM
I said those caps and the fact I have not edited out any of the other mentions of caps. The CAPs he mentioned using WILL kill someone, plain and simple.

50mF wont but something in the 1 1.5f would.

What do you think they use in a tazer ?

-Robert