PDA

View Full Version : Goggles

Grayso
01-27-2003, 10:07 PM
I've been playing paintball for about a year, and I still don't have a decent goggle system. I am going to order one next week and I was wondering what most of you had, and how you liked it. Which would be the best??? A Proteus, an Invision, or the V-Force goggles??? Are the Raven goggles any good? They look pretty cool. I need some that won't fog and are pretty comfortable. Any help would be appreciated.

The JOE
01-27-2003, 10:11 PM
V-Force all the way. It's the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my head (and I've put alot of things on my head). Plus it's got extremely nice lenses, very clear, and wide range of vision.

It's well worth what I paid for it. (I've got the one right below the Morph in price... but I can't remember if it's Shield or Armor)

FooTemps
01-27-2003, 10:13 PM
The vforce goggles are really nice, no distortion or anything. They're comfy and they have good fit for glasses too... BUT, the invision fits so tight and so snug on your face that there is no chance of the mask shaking or anything. There is a bit of distortion but I like the fit of the invision better... The only problem is that it doesn't fit my glasses.

TransMan
01-27-2003, 10:14 PM
I love my Raven its never fogged up on me and its not very hot i like the view but u prob dont want to get one if u want alot of face protection because its on the small side but that never really bothered me

Load SM5
01-27-2003, 10:21 PM
A few of my friends have Invisions and have fogging issues with them. The pair I tried on did'nt fit my head very well. My chin and ears stuck out from under the armor. I admit I have a fairly large head, though.

I also like the Morph. Huge field of vision, very comfy and the lenses pop out in seconds for cleaning.

LawFox32
01-27-2003, 10:28 PM
V-force all the way; I love my morph and my shield

behemoth
01-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Invision all the way...it feels like you are wearing nothing...and if you play like me, all you wear is a mask right???, with the invision, its like STREAK PAINTBALL

RT pRo AuToMaG
01-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Defiantly invision. I own one, it's the most comfortable mask i've worn. I have no fog issues with mine, the only thing is that my chin pokes out. If your ears poke out of the mask, you need to get the large ear guards (bought through Dye). My mask fits around my ears perfectly.

AcemanPB
01-27-2003, 10:41 PM
V-force Morph all the way, most comfy, easy to clean, fog proof system out there.

billmi
01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
Basically whatever anyone says is the best, might well not be.

Why? Because everyone's head is shaped different - different masks will fit your head better or worse. Your best bet is to get to a paintball store and try different masks on to see what fits you best.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

The JOE
01-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Do you wear glasses or not? Because if I were to wear an Invision with my glasses (too bad, because I want one...) it would kind of press them into my nose, creating a rather unpleasent, downright painfull effect.

On the other hand, my V-Force fits over my glasses with room to spare.

(Of course if you have an unusually large head the Invision might not be the way to go either... they just look so small... lol)

DeathscytheSK
01-27-2003, 10:49 PM
I like my JT Proflex, its comfortable

Rmarks
01-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I absolutely love my proteus goggles. :D

Vengeance
01-27-2003, 11:05 PM
If ya got a smaller melon like me, try a spectra or flex-7. Very form fitting :D

And JT goggles have never fugged up on me.

Smokee_2_7
01-27-2003, 11:18 PM
I have used the JT flex 7's for several years now. No fogging whatsoever. Fits fine over my glasses when I wear them (usually wear contacts.) The only thing i reccomend with glasses and this system is a fan. Dependig on the weather, i have had some fogging of my glasses while wearing them. within 30 seconds of flipping the fan on, everything is better.

The only downside to this system is the current quality (in my opinion)

I have several of the Pre-B.E. buyout flexes, and one pair of the post buyout flex sevens. the only real beef i have with the newer ones is the foam. Its not as nice/ comfy/ padded as it use to be. other than that, i just dont care for the new visor design on them - - -but thats not a big deal.

I know several people with the Raven NVX's, and have tried them on. I love them. Foam is fantastic, color changing lenses are really cool, and the coverage is adequate. I plan to get a pair in the future. I have not tried them on with glasses yet.
(Invisions do NOT fit my head at all, and I've seen several people with fogging issues. This may be no longer a problem, as there are thermal lenses for them now.)

My opinion on the vforces' is "ok". They are very comfortable, will go over glasses, cover extremely well, and have a nice big lense with lots of vision. The downside is the size. I just personally dont like the way they sit on my face as well as other systems do. Additionally, I think the JT's and Ravens look a whole lot better- - - once again, this is all personal preference.

Like Bill said, the best thing for you to do is to try some on before you buy.

hope this helps,

Carl

Vengeance
01-27-2003, 11:43 PM
If it helps the V-Force offers one of the clearest visions out there. My bud Amos has a V-force armor and he let me try it on.

Smoke
01-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Flex-7 IZE all the way!!!

madmatt151
01-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know if a JT fan will fit on the Vforce? I really would ike the vforces, but I have fan which i need because of my glasses and winter play. Let me know. Thanks.

Carbon
01-28-2003, 12:23 AM
The v force i have is the mid- range, Shield Model. Its all hard plastic except the ear flaps, throat guard and visor, which is nice soft molded rubber. I've actually tried to fog it up in the shower with hot water running with no success, funny thing, it has fogged on me once on the field after some heavy breathing. What i noticed was fog actually condensed on the untreated (non anti fog coated) portions, of the inside of the lens, that moisture kinda beaded down over treated area, lightly coating it. This musta been a freak anomally tho. The V force works well with glasess, u might wanna spray some anti fog on yer glasses if you wear them.

The Vforce mask adss a littel bit of side profile, it sticks out about 1" to 1 1/2" from yer face. It comes with a optiona chinstrap and front "throat guard" Comes with a visor and carry bag. Theyre easy to diss/re assamble and clean out not a bad deal for bout 34 to 40 bucks. ho pthis helps

FooTemps
01-28-2003, 12:23 AM
most people retrofit computer fans onto their vforce masks

Cryer
01-28-2003, 12:37 AM
I have a proteus and I really like it, as it is very comfortable, has never fogged on me (I don't own the vortex fan, just the goggles). One thing I really like about it as compared to my other cheap (pmi) goggles is that there is a piece of foam (inside) running vertically from the bottom of the mask up to the actual goggles between your mouth and your ear, keeping your voice from echoing inside your mask.
Although I like my mask, I would rather buy an Invision. (this is based simply on the fact that Invisions look cooler than Proteuses)

AlabamaMan
01-28-2003, 12:55 AM
I would have to say anything with a JT spectra lense. I have a set of spectra's and i love them, they never fog, and always stay in place. Although they don't really have alot of neck protection, i would never go on the field without them.

yeahthatsme
01-28-2003, 07:41 AM
i have a proteus and i love how it fits and the view with it.

rikkter
01-28-2003, 09:46 AM
i bought a flex 7, then when i got my mag it came with the proteus. i played a game with the flex7, and it was comfortable and was a big upgrade from the mask i had. i tried my proteus and wow. i loved it. to me its very comfortable. my ears were comfy, but in the flex7 they werent.
i've tried a vforce but i dont know which one it was. my teammate got it from a field because they sold him the wrong lens.. and they just told him to keep the lens and gave him a brand new vforce. so. hes not complaining.. they give you excellent field of view. but i dont like the bulky ness in it. i KNOW i'm wearing a mask when i wore his.. the flex7 and proteus were more compact on my face and i liked those more.
but trydifferent masks. ask someone to try it on. remember if you like it or not, etc. then make your choice

hitech
01-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps
most people retrofit computer fans onto their vforce masks

I did! In two of them (mine and a friends). I like it so far, but then I haven't played in a game with it yet. ;)

StygShore
01-28-2003, 02:51 PM
I have JT Spectras, Flex 7's, Raven, Invisions, VForce goggles.

My invisions...well, they fog on indoor fields even! I have brand new lenses in them, and last week at Atomix, they fogged up on me by the 3rd game.

The biggest issue I have with the JT goggles are the lenses, they crack, right at the bridge of the nose. Not sure if the BE buyout has anything to do with it, but every year I go through 3 sets of lenses becasue they crack at the bridge of the nose withn a month of putting them in. NO, I dont take an excessive amount of close face shots or anything, they just crack. I actually have 1 pair I placed a new set of lenses in as a backup pair, didnt even put them on or use them, left them on a table in my computer room, and went to get them.... cracked at the nose.... nice quality huh.

The Raven goggles, work for about 20 minutes, and then insta-fog. Had to peak out of the corners of the lenses. Got a new pair of the "thermal" lenses from Raven, worked for about 4 hours, and then back to the fog like mad routine. I have not tried them in about 8 months, so maybe things are better, but I had enough with them that I am not going to waste the money on them again.

The V-Force seem really nice, kinda iffy on the seal of the lense and how long that will last with a few bunkering hits, but they seem to do decent against fogging. I can still fog them on a cold winter day, but we even rent these at our field now, and they seem to work great. If they continue to hold up well, I may look into a Morph pair later this season.