PDA

View Full Version : Any videos of people using lathes?

ScatterPlot
01-27-2003, 10:07 PM
This sounds like a really dumb question, but can anyone give me a video of someone using a lathe? Cause I cant figure out how you make things other than radially symmetrical things on a lathe. Please help!

zads27
01-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Take a class at your local community college, or make friends with machinists who will show you how to do things properly.
Just watching usually isn't enough to get it down correctly.

Pand0ra
01-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by bertmcmahan
Cause I cant figure out how you make things other than radially symmetrical things on a lathe. Please help!

What do you mean by "radially symmetrical" ?

boggerman
01-28-2003, 01:41 PM
You might find something at one of the manufacturer's sites, like Okuma or Hardinge. You could try a search for "lathe" to find more companies that make them, those are just the ones we use where I work(that are still in business, that is).

ScatterPlot
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Im not really wanting to learn how to do it, I just wanna get it down in my head. Radially symmetrical means that its symmetrical along a central axis, like a baseball bat or a pawn from a chess set. I know mor complicated things exist made on lathes, like victorian legs for tables and gun stocks, not to mention all the metal stuff they do. I dont want to find a machinist that can help me out here cause theres a billion of them in my town and probably not any close enough that I could go see very often, like run over there after school or whatever. I just want to be able to see this in my head.

ScatterPlot
01-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Oh yeah, and what does 3 axis and 6 axis and all mean?

confedman75
01-28-2003, 05:09 PM
6 axis? what the......I thought there are only 3 axis. 3 axis is like putting a mill on top of a lathe.

Kevmaster
01-28-2003, 06:17 PM
ive always thought there were 3,4 and 5 axis mills...never knew there was a 6th axis tho

sniper1rfa
01-28-2003, 06:57 PM
6 axis are sweet. think a bit on a mechanical arm

they can bend over and back in to get the back of a work piece through a hole. INSANE!