PDA

View Full Version : booze and paintball

thei3ug
01-28-2003, 10:16 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2003/01/17/news/lake_county/a6e916e10f19d50186256cb1001bb76f.txt

sad thing is I know the owners... they're one of the nicest families in the area. They're from a wealthy entrepeneurial family that historically has been community oriented.... and they've been demonized as criminals and vagrants.

TheTramp
01-28-2003, 10:32 AM
It was foolish of them to put forward a plan to serve alcohol to people playing paintball (even though they might be very good people). They might argue that they only serve to people not playing but that's not really the way it would work out. I'm suprized that they thought it would go through.

Don't get me wrong, I love cracking open a beer at the end of the day but I would never expect the owners of the field to be involved. I absolutly wouldn't expect to combine the two. Talk about a bad injury waiting to happen.

Derman2k
01-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Paintball+Alcohol=Bad

ShooterJM
01-28-2003, 11:00 AM
eh if done correctly it's a good idea. ie after game drinks, but no playing while/after drinking! You could get it, just would have to have a solid plan. Sounds like he was just unprepared.

MantisMag
01-28-2003, 11:04 AM
well it seems from the quotes that the man was totally unprepared to answer questions. the board was understandably concerned because it's a quiet residential neighborhood and they know nothing about paintball. they asked if there would be explosives. In the quotes there was no mention of alcohol and paintball not mixing. only the author of the article and someone else who wanted to open a paintball field mentioned it. to everyone else it seems as if they are two seperate issues. they don't want an alcohol serving establishment or a paintball field, so having both at once is also not going to happen without a lot of convincing.

la690
01-28-2003, 11:32 AM
at the Compete Paintball out door feild in upstate NY, the owner allows people to bring their own alcohal. i was suprised when i saw it. doesnt seem like a good idea.

the123
01-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Compared to WHIRLEY BALL(you can drink booze there), I don't know how paintball could be much more dangerous.

billmi
01-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Didn't sound like they were being Demonized at all - the zoning committee just didn't have enough info - they need to see a more complete business plan, and know details about it to understand how it will or won't impact the community.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Thordic
01-28-2003, 01:08 PM
yeah, it seems like this was the guys fault for not being prepared for the zoning board. He should try again, with more info behind him.

Scootyd
01-28-2003, 01:08 PM
I love the way Bill can write out what I'm thinking, but he can make it clear.

My local field has a place to get pizza sodas etc. I will be the last to recommend playing and drinking together. I think that as long as the bar and or beer sales are seperate it would be fine. I would love to come off the field at the end of the day and sit down to a cold one and b.s. with the guys.

I wish them well in establishing a sound business plan and getting approval.

ShooterJM
01-28-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Paintball field, sports bar, pool, etc. That be freakin awesome. Especially if you had a viewing window from the bar (and locker rooms, gots to smell nice to pick up the ladies)! That'd be sweet. Hmmmm anyone know where I can buy some cheap land? :D

Vex
01-28-2003, 01:15 PM
They weren't demonized or labeled as vagrants. It seems that the zoning commitee needs to be educated about paintball first. Completely explain how the sport is set up and works, explain how attention to detail as far as the safety aspect goes, and then they will probably commission the land to be used for a field. However, they should not include the part about alcohol. I can't see anything good coming from the combination of alcohol and paintball. The bottom line is, you don't need to drink to have fun playing paintball. Isn't the adrenaline rush enough?

BUT---

If he want's to serve alcohol to spectators and players who are finished for the day, then he will need to outline how he will be able to control the alcohol from getting onto the field (even after it's been consumed.)

Basically, he just needs a super-solid buisness plan. He'll get nowhere without one.

Clare
01-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Compared to WHIRLEY BALL(you can drink booze there),

That was freakin' fun, can't wait to go back to Chicago to play again :D You all were ruthless..

ShooterJM
01-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa

That was freakin' fun, can't wait to go back to Chicago to play again :D You all were ruthless..

Hmmm so you can drink and then play? :D I'd have to play with people I trust, but that could be fun! Not unlike snowboarding while drinking...

billmi
01-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Scootyd
I love the way Bill can write out what I'm thinking, but he can make it clear.

-Bill

ReTroMagBoy
01-28-2003, 05:51 PM
hey what would be cool and safe is like a cannibus cafe and a paintball field. paintball is really fun after u get a little baked, kinda makes it feel like the first time you played. :)

but i dont know if alcohol+paintball would be good, as alcohol impairs your thinking and coordination. If people drank a little too much i could easily see mask flying up on field, injurys, and more fights/arguements.

demonguy8
01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
For those not from chicago area... whirley ball is lacrosse (with the plastic whiffle balls and scoops)on bumper cars.. its a heck of a good time sober, I cant begin to imagine it while schwasted.. I used to live like 3 blocks away from whirley/ enchanted castle :D all sorts of memories from both...

$tevo
01-28-2003, 09:19 PM
well i like booze and i love paintball but i dont mix the 2.. im not that dumb!:D

Smokee_2_7
01-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Nice idea. I agree that Alcohol and paintball dont mix- - - at least not in that order.

However, a sports bar kind of thing on site for post-play socializing is a fairly enticing idea.

as others have said, he just needs to figure out his business plan alot more.

Carl

joeyjoe367
01-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa

Ha! I used to work at the WhirlyBall in Edmonds, WA. LOL, that was YEARS Ago.

JAM
01-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Smokee_2_7
Nice idea. I agree that Alcohol and paintball dont mix- - - at least not in that order.

However, a sports bar kind of thing on site for post-play socializing is a fairly enticing idea.

as others have said, he just needs to figure out his business plan alot more.

Carl

Boozin' + Paintball (running) = vomit

-J

logamus
01-29-2003, 04:01 PM
booze & paintball dont bother me a bit. the biggest problem is underage people at the field, but past that i dont see anything really wrong with it.

cphilip
01-29-2003, 04:11 PM
I think a Lithuanian Nursing home was the best idea yet! Wonder why that didn't go over? And how messy can grounds get from trying that? Must be a culture gap here I am suffering from... :confused:

...she did thank Urquiza for cleaning up the grounds that had sat empty for several years since a Lithuanian immigrant tried to open a nursing home there.

ShooterJM
01-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
I think a Lithuanian Nursing home was the best idea yet! Wonder why that didn't go over? And how messy can grounds get from trying that? Must be a culture gap here I am suffering from... :confused:

wondered that myself. Then I thought "Do I really want to know various ways a nursing home could leave messes?".

The answer was no. Definately no, I don't want to know....

:D

johnny dee
01-29-2003, 05:50 PM
at the field i play at, black river, angier nc. until they know that ur straight and u have been playign there a while, they ask you if your on and kinds of drugs or alchacol that can limit ur ability to think act and play safely, and its realyl reassuring to know that there looking out for there players....that they dont allow alchacol or drugs on the premesis

SpongeBobSquarePants
01-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by thei3ug
booze and paintball

yea that says enough

WiseGuyMag
01-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Well.. I am 15.. don't drink.. but..
I really don't think they need achohal to be sold there.. I mean can't you guys just drink a soda? :)