PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Magazine Survey, What are YOU Reading?

AGD
01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
AO,

From time to time we do a survey to see who is reading what magazines. This is important to us to see where to spend our advertising dollars so please vote.

Vote for the magazine you look forward to reading the most even if you get two or more. Please post below if you get more than one and tell us which they are.

THANKS!!

AGD

Remington
01-28-2003, 03:09 PM
I voted for Paintball Games International but I also think P8NT should be up there too. Both magazines have lots of fantastic coverage while I have found the others to be filled with ads(with the exception of Facefull, which I've never read). P8NT is a magazine, for those who have never heard of it, that has had a shaky beginning trying to get issues out(I ordered a free issue back in June and got it a week ago) but is a really great read.

hitech
01-28-2003, 03:14 PM
I voted for Paintball 2 Xtremes as I am planning on purchasing a copy of it (Josh seems like a good guy). I haven't yet, and actually rarly read them.

krafty
01-28-2003, 03:17 PM
I don't read paintball mags. I really don't see much point in it anymore. When I can find out about the new X-mag online first, or in APG in 6 months (if at all), I'll stick to the internet.

digitard
01-28-2003, 03:18 PM
I pick up APG when I'm at the local shops when I stop in ...

Sincerely,
Dave K

ben_JD
01-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Tom,

I do not read any of these magazines. In the past, I have found that the writing is sub-par (to be kind), the publishing values are sub-par (to be kinder) and the bias portrayed in most of these magazines would make the New York Times blush.

The large number of ads is not really a turn-off, as this is what one comes to expect from non-membership (as compared to subscription) magazines.

I had high hopes for Facefull, but it has also fallen by the wayside.

FYI

Thordic
01-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ben_JD

The large number of ads is not really a turn-off, as this is what one comes to expect from non-membership (as compared to subscription) magazines.

Non-subscription?

Why does PB2X show up at my door every month then? :)

Crazy
01-28-2003, 04:22 PM
I believe that facefull is the best magazine out there right now, not only does it not have 132131353223 adds for 1387123821 different blowbacks, but it also has some good articles appealing to the true tourny player.

LOSE THAT SIGNATURE OR BE BANNED! cphilip

1stdeadeye
01-28-2003, 04:23 PM
PB2X all the way!!

Loyal subscriber!!!

Blazingace
01-28-2003, 04:47 PM
PB2X and P8NT and APG some times. Mostly PB2X and I really like P8NT now.

ben_JD
01-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
Non-subscription?

Why does PB2X show up at my door every month then? :) Did you read the post? Membership magazines (National Geographic, Reader's Digest, etc.) are significantly different than subscription magazines (just about everything most people think of when they say magazines). My original post clearly and correctly delineates the two. Anyway, one typically as few or no ads; the other has LOTS. That was my point.

Vex
01-28-2003, 04:57 PM
APG has gotten a lot better over the past several years. Look back into earlier editions, '92-'94, the editing was horrible, the grammar was even worse, and the articles didn't really do much to hype the products that they were reviewing.
I'll always stick with APG because they've had time to learn from their mistakes. I'll pick up the other rags occasionally though.

:D

ogre55
01-28-2003, 05:02 PM
I voted for Facefull, however I recently picked up a copy of PB2X and was pleasantly surprised by the coverage and the content.

APG has it's place but most people who play on an even semi regular basis will outgrow it sooner rather than later.

Ogre

magman007
01-28-2003, 05:41 PM
I voted facefull, but i also read these publications in this order from top to bottom(favorite to least)

Facefull
Pb2x
PGI
P8NT
APG
Paintball

freek133
01-28-2003, 05:45 PM
PB2X, they have the most up to date coverage on Tournaments as compared to every (and I mean every) other magazine out there... They are also covering the cfoa 03 season I do believe, and thats a plus considering I live in NC!

Evil Bob
01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
The two I read:

1) PGI
2) Face Full

APG is for new players, hence the articles are geared at that level, the others are aimed at novice players. PGI and Face Full are both aimed at the tourny niche and a much older audience.

-Evil Bob

pito189
01-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by AGD
From time to time we do a survey to see who is reading what magazines. This is important to us to see where to spend our advertising dollars so please vote.

You don't need to know what we read, you need to know what everyone else reads, we already know about mags, and the greatness that proceeds them.

I voted Faceful though, and PGI great also.

JEDI
01-28-2003, 06:00 PM
I voted for PGI, but I also enjoy Face Full. I like the mags that are more Tournament oriented. I dont need to see a player profile of "Joe Camo" that made his goggles outta some Kevlar S.W.A.T. helmet.

56kSomeGuy
01-28-2003, 07:03 PM
I subscribe to PB2x since it is like the cheapest one. Also I like to read APG when i can get my hands on one.

magking1971
01-28-2003, 07:04 PM
APG and PB2X

AutomagRT1483
01-28-2003, 07:10 PM
APG

Bunny
01-28-2003, 07:21 PM
I get PB2x but i also like facefull for there pictures:D

01-28-2003, 07:54 PM
I am subscribe to them all and I read them all equally cover-cover. P8nt and Facefull are my favorites though.

*EDIT* Actually I dont read APG I hate that magazine.

LaW
01-28-2003, 09:03 PM
PGI is my favorite and I like Facefull...... I really hate APG, perhaps I only used to like it because it was the only option at one point. PGI is always packed full of articles I love it :)

EnderWigginPballin
01-28-2003, 09:06 PM
for some reason my "Session is invalid" so i can't vote, but PGI is my favorite, although never read Facefull, but have read all the others.

APG--- I'm not a newbie anymore, i need something more technical

PB2X--- I Can't think about that mag without thinking about the barrel article they did a while ago where they said longer barrels were more accurate. this was like during 2001.... so not too long ago

P8NT-- pretty good i think

PGI-- Ravi Chopra and Robbo, how can anyone not like this magazine??????

Josh2Xtremes
01-28-2003, 09:12 PM
It'll be neat to see which way the love is flowing here...I'm glad you posted this Tom. Funny...I keep looking around, but I don't see any OTHER magazines' editors posting regularly in AO, OR shooting an XMag. Looks like Paintball 2Xtremes is about it. :D

EnderWigginPballin
01-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Josh2Xtremes
Funny...I keep looking around, but I don't see any OTHER magazines' editors posting regularly in AO, OR shooting an XMag. Looks like Paintball 2Xtremes is about it. :D

well, you're just cool... i liked the parts of the "perfect player" series that i did read by the way.

cabldawg
01-28-2003, 09:36 PM
hey Tom,
why wasn't scenario news in the poll?

spydervenom
01-28-2003, 09:58 PM
i really like pb2x... they have lots of good stuff in there. i think my subscription ran out though :(

magmonkey
01-28-2003, 10:12 PM
I am a big fan of p8nt and faceful

they seem to have the best content

where as the others are either neon fluf or geared more twords newer players

Riot[Z-Grip]
01-28-2003, 10:15 PM
I subscribe to:

1)PB2X (2yrs)
2)APG (1st year)

This is my second year reading PB2X and it is by far my favorite paintball mag. Although I do notice a few gramatcial/spelling mistakes per issue (And Josh, I AM tempted to send a letter in calling you on this. :D), the content is just amazing.

Just got a subscription to APG this year. (Thanks to my brother Chris, who is wicked cool about getting me pball stuff when my parents buy me socks ;).) Some articles I will read, and others I will eventually read when I get bored.... All in all, it's a good read, but I probably won't renew my subscription.

-Riot

Sooky
01-28-2003, 10:41 PM
I prefer Paintball Games International. It's just the style and humour in the way they write their articles - it's just nice, light, enjoyable reading material.:) I also like their tactics section, especially when they bring in guest Pro players to write the articles.

After PGI, I buy PB2X. They have nice well written articles, but my only complaint is that it is sometimes too serious, and some of the tournament series covered I have never heard of hehe.:p I kind of like more international coverage.

Edit: although I have never read Facefull, as it is hard to get access to in my area.

Riotz
01-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Facefull is by far the best when it comes to pb photography.

deathstalker
01-29-2003, 12:30 AM
PGI is the only magazine to which I subscribe and it's strictly for economic reasons. I regularly buy PB2X and Faceful but it's more so I can have something to read in the bathroom. PB2X's rec sections are probably the best in the business and because I am strictly a rec player, I appreciate what they do.

TheBigRaguPB4L
01-29-2003, 04:11 AM
Thats what i was thinking. Why give us advertisments if we already know pretty much everything there is to know about something you're going to be realising anyways?

daveymag
01-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Facefull and PGI are my favorites. Ravi Owns!

EsPo
01-29-2003, 04:44 PM
facefull is the shizznat.:)

BobTheCow
01-30-2003, 01:21 AM
apg and p8nt...course, i haven't really gotten a look at any others. (donations???? :D )

KFC_Chicken
01-30-2003, 01:14 PM
I get APG cause its like 3 times the size of the others, gots tips for newbies(im no newb :p ). And its fun to read the Co2 mail. It also has the most listing for paintball stores in the back. All around I think it is a better produced magazine. I only buy it when I can find it in stock, mainly Barnes and Nobles(SP?).

aaron_mag
01-31-2003, 12:55 PM
I'd say you want to gear your advertising for what type of marker you are trying to sell. The X-mag for example is a high end tourney marker (or for us rec players that are just plain NUTS). The appropriate magazine to advertise the X-mag in may be different than the appropriate magazine to advertise the proto bodies and level 10.

JAM
02-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, APG is the most widely read- though, they have terribly written articles and next to no substance...

I love the photography in Facefull, and the content in PB2X.

-j

Rmarks
02-02-2003, 01:17 PM
I just subscribed to PB2X :) and I'm looking forward to getting my first issue.

SilverFox
02-02-2003, 06:15 PM
My vote went to PGI because if I had to have just one mag it would be pgi. Here is the list of my family's subscriptions.

PGI
Facefull
APG
PB2X
Crossfire
Scenario News

Hoophooted
02-02-2003, 09:55 PM
You forgot Scenario News! ;) 100% Scenario coverage.

For sexy, glossy pages, you've gotta go with PB2X. Now that PB2X has bought Crossfire and they plan to run complete rec-ball and scenario coverage... Crossfire gets my #3 vote, behind S.N. and PB2X :cool:

AGD
02-03-2003, 03:12 AM
Thanks everyone!! Very interesting info!

AGD

Hell Seeker
02-03-2003, 02:18 PM
I voted Pb2x because I am a new subscriber and I like what I find in the mag. I am new to paintballing and am trying to find anyone interested in my area to start a team. I live in Davis and my e-mail is Kinthekid2000@yahoo.com.

:o :) Bye1

Aiki
02-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I am really excited to see what the new crossfire magazine will be like. Scenario news a great magazine and the only one that I subscribe to.

FalconGuy016
02-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Whoa, ive never seen or even HEARD of paintball2xtremes!! I want it now!!

Annie Oakley
02-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Paintball 2Xtremes really is the best paintball magazine out there!

*Are those MY balls on your face?*

Bront
02-05-2003, 07:39 PM
I don't read any paintball magazines. Unfortunately, none was not an option.

shartley
02-17-2003, 11:42 AM
I have a question… why should it matter what AO Members read? Honestly, shouldn’t AGD go to Paintball Shops and ask them what their customers are buying and reading? Or ask the Magazine companies what their actual subscription numbers are, or their circulation is? Or go and see what is being sold at local stores (and even ask them what sells more if they sell more than one)?

If you want to know what magazine will allow most AO members to see the Ads, asking us is great… but if you want to know what will get you the best exposure to current and future clients, AO may not be the best place to ask.. in of itself. I always say that preaching to the choir will get you a lot of “Amen”s… but that does not increase the church membership.

I hope AGD is hinging their advertising strategy on more than this poll.

aaron_mag
02-17-2003, 12:30 PM
AMEN!:)

This is correct. AO members don't need to be converted to wanting the X-mag, proto body, etc. We already WANT or HAVE.

Mr. T!
02-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Can't stand apg or pb2x, they are both whack mags. The best out there is p8nt, faceful and PB Int. They have the best content (reviews, tournies, even a little scenario) and have worthwhile insights into how the game is changing adn were the sport is headed. I dislike the other mags because they are too much geared towards beginers and rec ball allstars.

Jaguar
02-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Facefull, it has awesome tourney coverage, has the best pictures and tells about paintball in every other country that has it.

I would highly reccommend against going to APG for ads. If you do a survey in the magazine they consist of approx 66% ads. Where facefulls is a fraction of that. So if you think about it... if you advirtise in apg, your ad is competing with many other ads for attension, where as in facefull there is alot less other ads, therefore it demands more attension

Brian68mag
02-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Tom,

I do not read any of these magazines. In the past, I have found that the writing is sub-par (to be kind), the publishing values are sub-par (to be kinder) and the bias portrayed in most of these magazines would make the New York Times blush.

I had high hopes for Facefull, but it has also fallen by the wayside.

FYI
!!!
I couldn't of said it any better.

John Dresser
02-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Tom,

I still believe you tried to buy the correct magazine a couple years ago when you offered to purchase P8NT. I just wish they published more magazines a year.

P8NT has proven to be the best written and the best looking magazine with only Facefull coming close. PGI would be third because of Joe Carter and Ravi.

Dr David Banner
02-26-2003, 11:05 AM
TJ Lambini cracks me up and Justin Owens owns!

J B
02-26-2003, 11:52 AM
PGI,PGI,PGI,PGI
its cool,Robbo is the man:D :D :D

Ravi
02-27-2003, 10:51 AM
My choice is pretty obvious - PGI. Just thought you'd like to know why -

PGI is the magazine that lets me write what I want and the way I want it. What you see in the magazine is exactly what I typed out when I wrote the article. With my stuff, at least, there is very little or no mucking around with the content of my reviews to make the articles more advertisement friendly.

This policy has gotten both the magazine and I in hot water with manufacturers and advertisers (Animal Paintball hates my guts). Still, Anthony and the gang at PGI continue to be supportive and print what I send.

This kind of editorial courage and honesty (again, at least with my articles) is extremely rare in this sport. It was a lack of this that drove me to leave APG.

later

magnj
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Im saying FACEFULL rignt now. Its got great coverage, amazing pictures and not too many stupid adds like APG. My only problem with FF is that there are A LOT of typos. Also I've been reading PGI alot and thats damn good.

Mickster
03-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Has to be PGI only one i subscribe to ;)

Mr. T!
03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Christ, how can anyone read APG?

How many times do they need to have an article about sniper tactics and flag games? Sadly, i once read that magazine (unitl i read a PGI), and realized how ridiculous it was.

Beaker
03-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Ravi
With my stuff, at least, there is very little or no mucking around with the content of my reviews to make the articles more advertisement friendly.

It's not just you Ravi, they left my Matrix review untouched for What Paintball Gear and that was hardly glowing!

PGI if I could only have one
PGI & P8nt if I can have 2
PGI, P8nt & Facefull if I can have 3

I tried to read the others by got lost amongst ads and ghillie suits which aren't my cup of tea (although not baggin on them!).

FlagCarrier
04-10-2003, 09:06 PM
i usually pick up any magazine i can get my hands on, but the ones i buy on a regular basis are:

-apg
-pgi
-pb2x

Yamz
04-24-2003, 05:35 AM
APG is all i get here on my little base and the post office sucks too much to subscribe to any others so i read APG and yes it sucks I will be changing when i leave here and get to the states

magnj
04-24-2003, 08:00 AM
wow APG is still winning though...

p8ntballsnowman
04-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I voted for PB2X, although i dont really like any magazine ive read. PB2X goes way to easy on the reviews, everything is outstanding, a great paintball gun, this well benifit any marker. It just anoys me. A lot of magazines are like that. APG is just way to slow with new products. Ex. In March 2003 they had the X mag, a field owners manual, and the Scepter barrel. In Novemeber 2002 PB2X had all of those same things in the new product list. Thats a long time. I have only read part of Facefull and didnt like it too much

nato
04-26-2003, 06:50 PM
One thing... PB2X!!!

N.A.T.O.

StygShore
04-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Actually picked up SPLAT magazine from the guys doing Ironman Magazine.

Pretty good stuff, good writting, and great pictures. Of course they gotta give you 10 pages of fluff with chicks in bikinis and paintball masks, pretty useless in the way of paintball, but entertaining for some.

Styg

blackout
05-14-2003, 08:29 AM
I get PB2X, I like it, good info for new players and intermediate players, and good articles and reviews for the tournament and rec-ball players.

Clare
05-14-2003, 08:32 AM
PGI!

(patiently waits for her check from Ant)

:p

Mr.Emag
05-14-2003, 04:10 PM
dudes everyone knows that any serious tourney 'baller, reads p8nt and facefull. THese are the BEST magazines lik ever. Then i would say pb2x then pgi

Dr David Banner
05-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Serios ballers read PGI - they got guys writing for them that know the heavy stuff and play major league - plus their gun tests are the best eva.

Mr.Emag
05-15-2003, 09:40 AM
facefull is like 110% tourney ball magazine

Dr David Banner
05-15-2003, 09:43 AM
LOL - thats why they had loads of stuff on shatnerball and scenario games then?

the only 100% tourney mag is p8nt, but thats all about like 4 or 5 teams and noone else.

Mr.Emag
05-16-2003, 08:09 AM
ok they hd a four page story about shatner ball, and that is mainly because there was a celebrity involved.. hey had mad coverage about the whole Salm thing and they always have stories about every major tourney. yeah p8nt is the dope and they talk about more than just a few teams

greyninja009
08-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Did you read the post? Membership magazines (National Geographic, Reader's Digest, etc.) are significantly different than subscription magazines (just about everything most people think of when they say magazines). My original post clearly and correctly delineates the two. Anyway, one typically as few or no ads; the other has LOTS. That was my point.

you have to subscribe to reader digest. you pay money to get it, that's a subscription.

PB2X all the way!!!!

Nick O time
08-03-2003, 01:10 PM
how old is this thread???

IcantBelieveit
08-03-2003, 01:36 PM
i would be reading PB2X but they just can't seem to get my magazine delievered. Oh well.

modsskcok
08-03-2003, 02:12 PM
to spend your advertising dollars with the magazine that most AOers are reading? That's like preaching to the choir. The purpose of advertising (in this situation) isn't to reach your base--that's what AO is for. You should be advertising to folks who DON'T shoot mags. Go with the publication that has the largest circulation. In that sense, the quality of the magazine is irrelevant.

GhostXmasFuture
08-03-2003, 05:25 PM
couldn't figure out how to vote.

Paintball Games International, seems to me to be the best rounded magazine in terms of it's articles.
I have read all the others in the past, but PGI is the main magazine I read now.