PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Anti Chop bolt, from packaging to performance.

halB
01-28-2003, 05:56 PM
This is an anti chop bolt designed for a spyder. It was acquired from Spud Majic, and was ordered from www.geocities.com/brmachine.

I just got the anti chop bolt i ordered in the mail, and have just put the cocking rod on. for purposes of this review, the following marker will be used.

Spyder TL Plus
32 degrees spring set, stock main spring, weak valve spring
non broken in bob long torpedo reg
co2
pirhana V/A

For comparison, a modified stock bolt will be used
marker w/ stock bolt runs at 350 psi, shooting 260 fps.

for performance measurement, a radarchron wil be used

first impressions:

bolt was shipped in a plain manilla envelope lined with buble wrap, which shall be pleasant to pop. hand writing was neat and legible, but seemed forced which led me to believe his normal handwriting isnt the best (of course, mine is the worst). his lower case Q's are odd though

the bolt itself is incredibly light, and when putting it in the gun it sealed beautifully. no gaps at all were seen. spring seemed nice, light but not too light that it would collapse on dirt or a ball already in the chamber. after putting the bolt in halfway i noticed it turned almost black, showing just how disgusting my interals were. a quick jerk with my jerk through cleaned it, although i woulda prefered my straight shot... my first squeegee... THAT SOME ******* AT MY FIELD STOLE!!! ILL KILL HIM IF I FIND HIM!

soon to come: review!

Not cursing from you again? And after coming off a ban for it? Are you realy this dense? cphilip

halB
01-28-2003, 05:57 PM
the paint that shall be used is several month old brittle seconds (actually its TC venom paintballs but they were in the sun so they sucked and were sold as seconds) the paint is very brittle, to give u an idea one ball broke after it bounced just once, and another after being flung out of tweezers onto a door stop, all over the leather lazboy. this paint produced two chops before on another nite.

first set of tests

gun fired with a/c bolt

test 1: 50-70 balls fired at a rate of 8 bps app. with a non motorized vl200 hopper. 1 dry fire was heard, which is the only indication of the bolt in action. it was with one ball left though, so it could be a failure to feed.

test2: same set up but w/o detent. multiple instances of double firing was seen, and the gun dry fired FIVE times. even a failure problem being taken into account, a chop was avoided.

test 3: to simulate a really hot day 10 paintballs were placed in the microwave for 10 seconds, and another 10 were set in for 5 seconds. the 5 second set was tested, one ball was leaking, and added in anyways. the detent was missing.

no dry firing or skipped shots were heard or noticed. but double shots were seen

test 4: the ten second set was tested with a detent cover. no chops occured

test 5: to put this bolt to the ultimate test, approximately 40 paintballs were COVERED in paintball oil for 30 minutes. they were then put into a 12v revvy that had had paint broken in it before, and fed through a dirty elbow. no chops occured but no discernable dry fires were heard.

the gun will now be cleaned totally, even cleaner then for the anti chop bolt, and a modified stock bolt will be put in

halB
01-28-2003, 05:57 PM
set of tests using stock modified bolt

first off, to make the tests biased AGAINST the anti chop bolt, the elbow, both hoppers, and the entire gun were broken down and cleaned. the anti chop bolt did not have this benefit, teh hopper were full of old paint, as was the elbow
test 1: 50-70 balls w/ detent: 1 chop
test 2: 50-70 balls w/o detent: a total of FIVE CHOPS
test 3 4 and 5: no chops found.

Chrono results

Norm:
328*
213*

A/C
287*
302*

now keep in mind this, the regulator has not been broken in, and the radarchron was held at different lengths sometimes. this would explain the sporadic results. therefore, the averages are whats important. the highest and lowest results were thrown out, and the rest averaged in.

A/C bolt average: 293.75 294 w/ sig figs taken into account
Modified stock bolt average: 321 321 w/ sig figs taken into account

There is on average a 27 fps drop. A result consistent with other testers. however, a non modified stock bolt is 11 fps less then average compared to the modified stock bolt (www.ottersccustoms.com) so if u have not modified ur stock bolt yet, you will not notice as big a drop.

halB
01-28-2003, 06:00 PM
CONCLUSION:

Based on my tests this day, in a non game situation, the bolt is an incredible buy. The real question is, is it worth the 35 dollars + 15 dollars or so for a cocking rod. The answer?? no.

its worth MORE then the petty 35 dollars that spud majic charges.

based on my experiments and general observations, i am of the firm belief that this thing
will.
not.
chop.
at.
all.

The test used incredibly crappy paintballs, and im surprised it did not chop. Despite the test being biased AGAINST the new bolt, it performed with flying colors. Spud majic has a real winner on his hands, and if it is still performing in a week or so (i hand out my gun to people to let them play) then i will make a recommendation to my boss to stock them at our store.

Bottomline

Even if you don't chop, have never chopped, or don't think u will chop, i still wholeheartedly suggest purchasing this bolt. Chopping usually means not being able to recock the gun without shoving something down the barrel. Even if it doesnt jam the bolt, accuracy is completely lost forever until the gun can be completely stripped. This is not something that you want to risk or chance. Combined with a revvy, and a good paint to barrel match, using this product means saying goodbye to squeegies, and limiting ur fire power.

The future:

this is not the final test. soon i shall use it on my friends BD shooting 20 BPS, and on many other guns. however, based on what i have observed here, i believe this bolt will stand up to the rigors

foot notes:

A special thanks to Spray Paint Paintball (www.sppaintball.com), my field, for loaning me the radarchron pocket chrono.
Also, this was not mentioned before, but the regulator was put up to 450 psi in order to not run the risk of starving the gun. The gun does not have a turbo valve.
Although the gun did not chop with the modified stock bolt on three tests, i believe it was because i was having trouble with the trigger. also the microwaved paintballs had too few to get a good rythm going. a good test to do that i would if i had the paintballs would be to repeat tests one and two with a revvy.

To purchase the bolt

go to www.geocities.com/brmachine the price is currently 35 dollars including shipping and handling, although it would be dumb not to increase the price. so get em while theyre at this price. for any questions email the creator at ourhouse@ccia.com

Smokee_2_7
01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
One request: Could we get you to dangel a paintball from a bit of scotch tape half way in the breach? Im curious as to wether the bolt will still not chop under those conditions.

Other than that: great review.

Carl

Smoke
01-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Or, stick your tongue or finger in the breach, then we'll really know!

halB
01-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Smokee_2_7
One request: Could we get you to dangel a paintball from a bit of scotch tape half way in the breach? Im curious as to wether the bolt will still not chop under those conditions.

Other than that: great review.

Carl

actually i tried with glue, but u wouldnt believe that no glue bonds with paintballs. at least not quick enough for my quick attention span. too bad i didnt think bout the tape, ill do that in a second.

Or, stick your tongue or finger in the breach, then we'll really know!

i was gonna stick my finger in, but i first stuck a pencil in, the force is a bit more then i wanna risk my finger in. plus, even if i did wanna do it i have powerfeed and not so small fingers.

land hurricane
01-28-2003, 07:42 PM
hey, on my computer the link isnt working. is it working on everyone elses? its probably just mine. I might want one of these things to go in my backup black dragun. maybe i'll just email him for the info. later

FalconGuy016
01-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Cool :) He should use that 50$ to pay a $12 one year domain fee to have a real website

Ill reccomend it to my spyder toting friends

sneakyhacker420
01-29-2003, 12:03 AM
the link to the website doesnt work... just so you know

i might wanna pick one of these bolts up for my spyder though :)

shartley
01-29-2003, 07:42 AM
Nice review. Yes, he should invest some of that money in a standard hosting account (his FREE hosting account is DOWN). Heck you can get them for under $10 a month easy if you are that strapped for funds. I shy away from businesses that run off of free servers no matter how good their products are.

My household has 2 TL Plus’ and this bolt would be a nice upgrade…. Let’s see if he takes his business seriously, and when he does, I will too……. And I really WANT to.

ogre55
01-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Can you give us a pic of the bolt. I am curious as to the method by which the bolt avoids chops.

Ogre

TheTramp
01-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Did anyone else notice that the modified stock bolt has a much higher flow? The "anti-chop" bolt lost over 20-30fps.

spydervenom
01-29-2003, 11:45 AM
i had one of these bolts and it was awesome. i didnt have any paint at the time, so i could try to force a chop. but i did stick my fingers in the breach and it felt cool...i didn't feel the slightest bit of pain

and TheTramp, did you read where he tried to make everything in the tests go away from the AC bolt? also the other bolt chops alot more.

here is a pic of the bolt:
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/spudmajic/ACbolt.jpg

TheTramp
01-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by spydervenom
and TheTramp, did you read where he tried to make everything in the tests go away from the AC bolt? also the other bolt chops alot more.

I did but I didn't see any mention of him increasing the input pressure to account for the increase in velocity with the modified stock bolt thus it had nothing to do with "mak[ing] everything in the test go away from the AC bolt." (I assume this refers to his' stacking the tests in favor of the stock bolt)

As far as the not chopping issue goes, it sounds like you must sacrifice efficiency to have the anti-chop effect. Sort of like the L10. Personally, I would think the reduction in chops would be worth the 27fps loss. Just turn your reg up a little and off you go.

I did re-read the post and saw that he did mention the reduction in flow as part of his analysis. Good work HalB for catching that.

xen_100
01-29-2003, 01:51 PM
I have one of these as well.......works really well. shot it with a vl200 on boo-yaah triggered gun at 15BPS full auto. plenty of skipped shots that would have been chops.

I did the finger trick too......just hits you a little bit, no pain at all.

BTAutoMag
01-29-2003, 03:15 PM
i love how AGD came out with something great and now everybody is copying them

halB
01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by xen_100
I have one of these as well.......works really well. shot it with a vl200 on boo-yaah triggered gun at 15BPS full auto. plenty of skipped shots that would have been chops.

I did the finger trick too......just hits you a little bit, no pain at all.

im too much of a wuss to try that :(

halB
01-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

I did re-read the post and saw that he did mention the reduction in flow as part of his analysis. Good work HalB for catching that.

actually, u were right, i didnt adjust the pressure between the two sets of tests. i felt that a difference in pressure would have more of an effect on chopping then a difference in fps, so i left it alone. i adjusted it to 450 to make sure there was no starvation or anything, just low enough so that it was actually regulated. but i should have made another set of tests where i changed the pressure so that the velocities were similar, just to take out all the variables. unfortunately, i ran out of paint :( if i get some mo paint ill continue on with my experiments.
i love how AGD came out with something great and now everybody is copying them

actually, this is totally different from level ten. level ten and this bolt both do the same thing, but they do it incredibly differently. this is like saying the line si promaster copied off WGP's autococker.

nicad
01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Boston paintball came out with this for the autococker a few years back.. now JAM enterprises is selling them for the cocker. that was way before, and actually nothing like, lvl10. the spring loaded bolt is just now getting around to spyders.. i used to make this exact same thing for the spyders, but ran into velocity consistancy issues, and dropped it for the Rail kit.
lots of markers have had chop-proofness built into them for years..

out!

EsPo
01-29-2003, 09:06 PM
i heard these things were called level ten... is that true? seriously, i read it on pbn.

xen_100
01-29-2003, 09:08 PM
nope......they are called "anti-chop spyder bolt"

people just started calling it that