PDA

View Full Version : SS Fittings for SS Hose

r_malloy
01-29-2003, 10:01 AM
HELP! I have been trying to locate some stainless steel (SS) 90 degree swivel fittings - not aluminum which is not pressure rated for the 3000 to 4000 PSI potential of a nitro tank regulator gone bad. The non-swivel fittings just will not line up properly on my application. There has to be somebody that makes these as several vendors that I have contacted indicated they used to stock them. Anyone have a source I could contact.

Thanks in advance.

rikkter
01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
swivel ss hose? never heard of them. i would also like to know this..

TheJester
01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
why won't aluminum work? look at scuba tanks, steel scuba tanks are only rated to like 2400, 2200 psi, al. tanks are typically rated to 3000, or 3300 psi. and in terms of them not lineing up, why not use a little loc-tite and line them up where you want them, let the loc-tite dry, and the fitting will stay where you lined it up. and i do belive the majority of fittings and elbows are chromed brass, i could be wrong on that though, but i know i have a bunch of fittings that are nothing more than plated brass

r_malloy
01-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Why won't they work - they will work, until subjected to pressures over their ratings. Check with the manufacturer - they are not rated for 3000 psi much less 4500 psi. If you want low pressure rated fittings then Macroline is OK - I'm looking for a hose and fitting combination that carry the same pressure ratings. Nickel plated brass can carry the higher ratings, but the nickel will tend to be nicked off - so the purpose of my quest for stainless steel fittings.

Also - aluminum is very much softer than stainless steel. So if you are not really careful, the stainless steel hose fittings will strip the threads out of threaded aluminum in a heartbeat. Brass is some better - but this thread is "why not try..." something else. I want to find a source of stainless steel fittings - period.

I have seen them - just cannot find a source. I located a manufacturer in India - but they would not - or at least have not yet - responded to my inquiries. I have also seen them (SS 90 degree swivel elbows) on Mass Spectrometer installations in medical research laboratories where they pipe gaseous nitrogen (as well as other gases) to the machines.

TheJester
01-29-2003, 11:37 AM
sorry, i must have misunderstood your?...i can't really help you, i've seen them once before as well, i forget where.

i'm curious now though, what is it that you are trying to do? cause in some respects you may not want them to be rated that high, you may want the tank to vent do to a bad regulator...the mag valves are rated to 3000, but most guns valves/regulators aren't, and if the reg on the tank goes, and the air stays in the lines....bye bye gun

Kevmaster
01-29-2003, 11:48 AM
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT get a swivel fitting for SS hose. They are not made to withstand the pressures of PB. ive seen countless break on people right at the swivel joint. PLEASE get regular SS elbows for your hose.

r_malloy
01-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Good point. I would rather have the problem blow o-rings and have the gas vent out the barrel of the gun, than have fittings explode with the gun in firing position next to my face.

Some others have indicated that is the better reason to utilize macroline hose - it will pop out of the press fittings, and vent the high pressure whereas the braided hose can be purchased at 5000 psi and higher burst pressures thus transfering the failure points to other weaker areas - like aluminum hose fittings or within the marker.

One paintball shop highly recommended not using braided hose on Nitro tank applications so as to have the macroline be the "weakest link". I am working on another possible fix for that - what is called a PRV or pressure relief valve - one could have in the stainless steel hose line to the marker like the ProConnect quick connect fitting. Have it set to say 1000 or 1200 psi, under the marker rating, and have a control release point. This would protect the marker, user, hoses, etc. and immediately alert the user the regulator was malfunctioning.

Still want to find the SS fittings though.

r_malloy
01-29-2003, 12:07 PM
KEVMASTER - wait a minute...what kind of fittings have you seen blow?

There are stainless steel swivel fittings made that carry pressure ratings in excess of the hose pressure ratings. This is the point of the THREAD - to avoid using the cheap aluminum type fittings that carry 200 to 300 PSI pressure ratings in favor of the desired fittings that would be in the 5000 PSI rating.

I agree the aluminum fittings I have seen are very low pressure alternatives.

Kevmaster
01-29-2003, 12:54 PM
ive seen prolly 10 alum swivels blow. ive seen no SS fittings(non swivel) blow. ive never seen a non alum swivel. where can one get one of these.

and also, the place where they blow is the joint. if the ss are made the same way, im not sure it would be any better