PDA

View Full Version : Why should I buy a mag?

Aiki
01-30-2003, 10:04 AM
I have shot cockers most of my playing life. Curently I shoot a Orracle cocker.

My question is why should I buy a new mag over my cocker?
What are some of the good and bad with the mags? I have never shot one. I have been think about getting one.

I would like to hear all opions about this issue.

I would like honset compairsons NOT cocker bashing.

Thanks

RamboPreacher
01-30-2003, 10:09 AM
You should get what is most comfortable and within your budget for you.

Even though I have some mags, including an xmag; my Blazer is still my most used marker, because I am most comfortable with it. The one main reason I came back to the automag camp is the level 10 superbolt. any mag with a properly installed LX is a completely new marker compared to what it was with the old bolt. My cockers havent' seen any action since I started using the LX on my mags.

The bottom line is personal preference.

JAM
01-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah, i won't bash cockers- they're usually great guns.

But, so are mags- throw in a level 10 and you're golden. I don't want to get flamed, but once you get to a certain level of gun- angel, upper end cockers, xmag/emag, etc. etc, it comes down to "feel" and personal preference. it doesn't matter if one gun shoots 18 balls/sec and one shoots 19 balls/sec- which one are you comfortable with? which one do you like the look of?

I have been a 'mag fan because of quality and durability- and compact size.

shoot them all, see which fits you best. No gun by itself is going to make you a great player.

-jason

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 10:30 AM
What mag are you talking about? A regular mag or emag/xmag? I like regular mags more over cockers because of their simplicity for the same performance (after a few key upgrades). You can almost never break a mag, because the whole gun is basically a valve and a bolt. You dont need a regulator either, the valve is a regulator also. With level 10 you will 99% never chop another ball, and with the retrovalve and intelliframe your ROF goes way up. For some peopel though, half the fun is tinkering with the gun and buying new parts for every little thing, like in a cocker. I guess it comes down to what you want.

Emag/Xmag different story :) They come with level10+retro already and are electro guns (with manual also), and you can expect the same quality as the regular mags but much faster :)

Aiki
01-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Well I was think of a mini-mag w/ the level 10 kit installed.

I love my cocker and would not stop useing it. I wanted to have something differant something new. I do not tinker with my cocker. I have never had an issue with it. I always have a pro work on my gun.

ROF is not that important to me as acuracy. I play mostly senrio and big games. I have heard that if and when the mag chops a ball it is a pain to clean. Is this true?

What do you all think about the Mini-mag?

NiteWolf1138
01-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Go with what you feel good using. I personally like my Mag because it has a simple yet VERY effective design. Disassembly is easy and straight forward as well as troubleshooting any problems (in my experience). I have found other markers more complex and troublesome, why waste time in getting you marker to work when the ultra-basic goal is the same... to throw paint.

When it comes right down to it, try as much as you can and seriously think about what you will come to be comfortable with.

NiteWolf1138

JEDI
01-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Its not that bad cleaning a mag. Like with any gun, it depends on how far you wanna break it down, and how clean you wanna get it. The mag bolt actually performs fairly well with a little bit of paint on it. Cleaning the breech is easy, because with twist lock, most of the paint is in the barrel, which doubles as the breech. If you were to clean a cocker, you'd probably remove the bolt, and slide something all the way through. You can do this with a mag as well. It just involves removing the valve assy. (one big piece) and swabbing all the way through.

digitard
01-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Mags are very simple to clean to be honest ...

If you need to just take out the barrel, unscrew the valve (one screw) and blammo .. ya got a clean path through the tube, if ya need to clean the feed tube just use a rag and pull it through.

As for chopping ..if you put a LEVEL 10 kit on the mag and tune it right, you WILL NOT chop balls, thats its purpose.

I love my Emag (and my RT Pro) .. I wouldn't use anything else.

Sincerely,
Dave K

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Accuracy is dependant on what barrel you have. Cleaning is a snap, if you somehow break a ball it would just be in the barrel and that just needs a squeegee, and if you arent familiar with mag barrels they dont have threads. It is just a twist lock, and the barrel is also the breech (where paintballs go into). The bolt wont have paint on it cause it cant break paint :)

Ill take some pics of me disassembling my gun

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 11:43 AM
This is my minimag

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 11:43 AM
This is the barrel twist lock, I just took it out (2 seconds max)

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 11:44 AM
This is the valve out, only ONE screw

FalconGuy016
01-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Now you can see all the way through the main body

Aiki
01-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Falcon,

That is great that you put all of that up there for me. You have to much time on your hands!!:D

Well that looks easy enough to clean.

Is there a vert feed for mini-mag?

magman007
01-30-2003, 12:02 PM
falcon bro! im gettin proud of you! a real post that was quite informative! good job man!

Aiki, Again, welcome to ao. Its awesome to have you moist donut guys here(quite possibly the best scenartio team ever!) Any ways, i say go for the minimag. You can go all black of you want, and it will look dead sexy. Also, if you want something "custom" in the way of mags, PM tunaman on these boards, he will custom assemble a mag for you posted below will be some options of tunamags.

this one is a black e-mag bodies tunamag http://server3003.freeyellow.com/tunaman2/newblackretromag.JPG

here is a no rised e-mag boddied all chrome retroed tunamag
http://server3003.freeyellow.com/tunaman2/newretrochrome.JPG

and this is a very custom black nickel (olny body out there agd ever did or something like that, olny one in circualtion or something) Minimag made for Rambo Preacher.

http://server3003.freeyellow.com/tunaman2/brentretromag.JPG

digitard
01-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Basically you can put any of the available bodies on a Minimag frame ....

So yes, if youd like to put a lowrise you could ...

The most you'd have to do is maybe do a TINY bit of work on it to get it to fit right, but the bodyrail will support it.

Go for the Minimag and get an Xvalve and Intelliframe and you'll LOVE IT!

Sincerely,
Dave K

Dayspring
01-30-2003, 12:09 PM
No. There is no Vert feed for the minimag. AGD sells bodies for guns though on their store site- http://store.airgun.com

Check them out.

Also, for cleaning, with my RT Pro- I'd gas her up, dunk her in water and then go dry fire her to clean up. Everything is sealed. Let's see a cocker do that. :)

Originally posted by Aiki
Falcon,

That is great that you put all of that up there for me. You have to much time on your hands!!:D

Well that looks easy enough to clean.

Is there a vert feed for mini-mag?

demonguy8
01-30-2003, 12:22 PM
because I'm selling one, thats why

Kevmaster
01-30-2003, 12:42 PM
why??

Because here at AO youll have more fun than anywhre else...and thats what its really all about, is it not?

Have you ever seen get-together days of 100+ guys from ALASKA, CALIFORNIA, NEW JERSEY, CHICAGO and the rest of the US all come to SOUTH CAROLINA?

Have you ever seen someone post a classified ad asking to BORROW a paintball marker for a month or two and get TONS of replies from people willing?

Have you ever seen the CEO/President/Owner of a company the size of AGD post on the forums DAILY to give tech help?

where else does any of that exist but here on Automags.Org
Thats the REAL reason im waiting 6 months for an XMag...and not getting an Angel or Timmy etc

Dayspring
01-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Don't forget Kev-

We are Borg. And resistance is futile! :D

Aiki
01-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Well Kev,

I can see that there is a great community of people here. That is what I was told by The Angel Guy. That is one of the reasons that I started hanging around this forum. It is also why I am thinking about getting the mini-mag. The ones that are posted are really nice.

I play scenario paintball for the same reasons. I have friends all over the country because of it.
The Moist Donuts are one of the oldest and most well known (good or bad) scenario teams in US. We have a great community of players that hang around our site www.moistdonut.com and our production company 24-hour games www.24hourgames.com
We have a 20 game season planned for this year with games all up and down the east coast. We are also un-undefeated when TMD generals a game.

I am always looking for new players and freinds. All of your responses have gone a long way in helping me decide what I would like to do.

I have a heard a lot of really great things about AGD and Tom Kayes and the support that they offer to there products.
I know that TAG has a lot of good things to say about him.

Thanks again for all of your great input..

BlueMagRT
01-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Dayspring No. There is no Vert feed for the minimag.

yes there is a verical feed minimag body not sure where to find one but here is a pic of what one looks like.

http://www.paintball-classifieds.com/images/335.jpg

AcemanPB
01-30-2003, 04:31 PM
AGD in fact did make a small handfull of vertical feed minimag bodies. I'm not too fond of them because the feed neck is so fricking high. Gotta love that no-rise!

Here is the link, you can find them under the "Attic Sale" part of the AGD online store

Minimag Vertical Bodies (http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=323&CATID=21) :)

FutureMagOwner
01-30-2003, 04:48 PM
digger also makes them but i heard they went out of business or something to that effect