PDA

View Full Version : Shocktech dislikes Canada?

tranman
01-31-2003, 08:30 PM
http://www.buyshocktech.com/pages/events/canada.html

I have no clue as to why they would make a sale and claim Canada hates Shocktech? I suppose it was a joke, i was wondering about why it said something about the border.

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 08:32 PM
I thought everyone hated Canada??? ;)

<JUST KIDDING> (or am I?)

BTW: read the reason...I remember this, it was Skyball 99...they got turned back at the border.

skirts
01-31-2003, 08:34 PM
BLAME CANADA !!!

Clare
01-31-2003, 08:40 PM
what's this all aboot?

shartley
01-31-2003, 08:41 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as a JOKE? I tend to be one of the most cynical folks on AO, but I see this as a spoof on the “Canadian Bacon” theme. Movies and songs have been made about the “hate” of Canada, and how they hate us, etc. And I think this is just another spoof on the made up rivalry of the two countries.

I think it was all in good humor and fun. But I could be wrong……. ;)

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 08:41 PM
:) Clare, are you just making a joke or do you really want more details?;)

billmi
01-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Several years ago, I believe it was at the first or second Skyball, Rennick Miller (owner of Shocktech) loaded up his trailer and headed from Chicago to Canada to run a booth at the tournament.

He had spent money not only on the time and labor of loading the trailer and the drive, but also on consultation and paperwork and dealing in advance with the Canadian government to make sure everything was legal as far as import duties and sales taxes. At the Canadian border, they went through his paperwork, said it was all good, but since he planned to sell the products there, that was work, and he didn't have permission to do work in Canada (a work visa) so they would not let him into the country. Considering the other journalists, and vendors at the trade show that came from the US (many of the vendors not having taken all the steps for import duties and taxes) who were allowed in, it appeared to many that the decision made by the border agent was rather arbitrary.

Since then, he has had a sale at the store in Chicago every year instead of going to Skyball.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Scooter/Cootie
01-31-2003, 08:43 PM
I believe it all started in 1999. Bad Boyz Toyz was going to have a booth at Skyball but the dreaded Canadian custom agents swarmed their trailer and told Mr. Renick himself that he could not bring all that gear across their beloved boarder.

So, Mr. Renick, now with 100,000 dollars of goods, had no place to sell 'em. So he took them back with him to Chicago and created the 1st annual Canada hates Bad Boyz Toyz megasale!

It was a big hit in the Chicago area and Mr. Renick decided to continue to have the megasale every year during Skyball just to piss off the Canadians. But we all know, it was the Canucks that had the last laugh! :p

The same thing happened to Paintball Junkies that year as well if I remember correctly.

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Damn, Bill beat me to it...and I actually knew the answer!;)

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Was it PBJ or was it Smart parts? I thought I heard Smart Parts having problems one year.

This is the reason that the trade show at Skyball usually sucks;)

shartley
01-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by billmi
Several years ago, I believe it was at the first or second Skyball, Rennick Miller (owner of Shocktech) loaded up his trailer and headed from Chicago to Canada to run a booth at the tournament.

He had spent money not only on the time and labor of loading the trailer and the drive, but also on consultation and paperwork and dealing in advance with the Canadian government to make sure everything was legal as far as import duties and sales taxes. At the Canadian border, they went through his paperwork, said it was all good, but since he planned to sell the products there, that was work, and he didn't have permission to do work in Canada (a work visa) so they would not let him into the country. Considering the other journalists, and vendors at the trade show that came from the US (many of the vendors not having taken all the steps for import duties and taxes) who were allowed in, it appeared to many that the decision made by the border agent was rather arbitrary.

Since then, he has had a sale at the store in Chicago every year instead of going to Skyball.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills
Now THAT is funny. Thanks for the insight Bill. I for one was not following everything in 99. :)

Python14
01-31-2003, 08:47 PM
I could have gotten him into Canada.

Clare
01-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Clare, are you just making a joke or do you really want more details?

what are you talking aboot? ok ok I'm done. :p

tranman
01-31-2003, 08:58 PM
For your information, mostly everyone in Canada doesnt say aboot!! Maybe people that live up north...i hope AGD doesn't get turned around at the border (which is probably very unlikely).

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by tranman
For your information, mostly everyone in Canada doesnt say aboot!! Maybe people that live up north...i hope AGD doesn't get turned around at the border (which is probably very unlikely).
A? ;)

Clare
01-31-2003, 09:02 PM
hehe :D

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
01-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Damn those nazi border partol mounties!:D

HoppysMag
01-31-2003, 09:04 PM
everyone is agianst canada...

canada is an axis of evil... the government would want you to believe that hitler rose to power by himself, but recently declassified photos show canadas involvement...please dont mock my abilitys ( or lack of ) in MS paint;)

tranman
01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Hey back off!! I for one don't say eh...i find it that a lot of you americans say eh more than we do. I guess its a stereotype, you don't see me calling you "american scum" or whatever europeans refer to you as.

Dragoon
01-31-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by shartley

A? ;)

Ahemm... Thats 'eh', not 'A'.

Jeeze some folks eh!

:)

Douglas

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure what part of Canada you are from, but everyone I know around the Toronto area say's "Eh" and "Aboot" and so on. Funny thing is, they even type "Eh". Take Bartman for example;)

Also, don't worry, most American's don't hate Canada, if we did, the movie Canadian Bacon would come true;)

FESTUS33
01-31-2003, 09:09 PM
Yep bill and scooter got it right,
I believe it was Skyball I.
I think I was still with S.O.B.'s
that year, and we were based out of
BadLanz by then.
Rick:eek:

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey back off!! I for one don't say eh...i find it that a lot of you americans say eh more than we do. I guess its a stereotype, you don't see me calling you "american scum" or whatever europeans refer to you as.
Yanks? ;)

Please let me apologize for upsetting you. I don’t want to be accused of starting an international incident because a Canadian Teenager could not take a joke. ;)

Relax…….
:rolleyes:

HoppysMag
01-31-2003, 09:10 PM
dude we kid because we love.... its all in good fun. as for europeans... they would all be specking ze duetch if it wernt for us... ( and im sure over time as would we.)

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Dragoon

Ahemm... Thats 'eh', not 'A'.

Jeeze some folks eh!

:)

Douglas
HeeHee.. well that goes to prove I am not a Canadian. ;) I am just a stupid Yank. :D

tranman
01-31-2003, 09:13 PM
LOL, don't worry, its all in good fun...i guess you could consider me a teen... I'm 18 btw.

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:17 PM
LOL, don't worry, its all in good fun...i guess you could consider me a teen... I'm 18 btw.
LOL I know… I did read your profile. EighTEEN. ;) My daughter just turned 20 and up until this Wednesday I referred to her as a Teenager. :D

Xzion
01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Ive got just one thing to say, and the pic ive included just about says it all! :p ;)

BTW, just for the record, THIS Canadian doesn't say 'Eh' either hehehe :D

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 09:21 PM
Xzion,
Hmmm...you might not say Eh, but you do say aboot.

Xzion
01-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
Xzion,
Hmmm...you might not say Eh, but you do say aboot.

I think your hearing things :p

tranman
01-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
I'm not sure what part of Canada you are from, but everyone I know around the Toronto area say's "Eh" and "Aboot" and so on. Funny thing is, they even type "Eh". Take Bartman for example;)

Also, don't worry, most American's don't hate Canada, if we did, the movie Canadian Bacon would come true;)

Hey Muzikman, i met you last year at skyball, although we didn't really talk (shook your hand though!), so i guess you didn't have much time to NOT hear "eh's" and "aboots".

yeahthatsme
01-31-2003, 09:24 PM
if you read the small print on the add its just a joke really... something about psychiatrists and venting...

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Of course Canada is good at hockey. The most southern part of their country still gets ice almost year round. ;) In the US when folks get old they go to Florida… in Canada they go out on ice flows. :D

tranman
01-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by yeahthatsme
if you read the small print on the add its just a joke really... something about psychiatrists and venting...

Yeah, i assumed it was a joke, i just wanted to find out how this sale got started...i would do the same thing if i was them. :p

Of course Canada is good at hockey. The most southern part of their country still gets ice almost year round. ;) In the US when folks get old they go to Florida… in Canada they go out on ice flows. :D

LOL, i actually live in the most southern part of Canada, (well the most southern part is about 30 minutes from my house). It's not too bad here. There isnt any snow, but going up north, its freakin' cold up there!! Just think i'm basically american :eek: :rolleyes: , if you consider latitude, if Canada didn't own the souther part of Ontario and the border went straight across, i'd be american!! (comes to the realization that that would be a nightmare :D :p ;) )

behemoth
01-31-2003, 09:31 PM
:D :D :Last Year...Our ENTIRE class (500 kids or so) took a major feild trip to toronto...it was sooo funny. a bunch of us couldnt stop laughing every time they said Aboot, or Eh...or any other canadian slang...so eventually every where we went we heard people muttering "damn americans"...hehe:D :D

but the best time of our trip was when we stayed in the hotel, and my roommates and my room overlooked the "Buddies In Bad Times Theater"...wich was obviously a gay bar...(the purple painted cinderblock walls, and gay pride flag wernt clues at all:rolleyes: ) but we were doing stupid things like...opening the windows and throwing hard candy adn pedestrians that were aboot...hehe i made a funny...about 10 stories down... but while we were ingaging in "pedestrian arial bombing runs" @ 1:00 in the morning we noticed all the teacher and chaperones go into the gay bar and come out and hour later and they seemed a little woozy...considering my principal almost fell over ...HAHAHA

good times...good times

Xzion
01-31-2003, 09:31 PM

Are you mocking our traditions!?! you should see what we do to impudent americans *grins evilly and cackles!* :p ;)

You know, for that Olympic game, the ice was made by Canadians, and that they had buried a two dollar coin in the ice right at center ice? hehehe might not have been on Canadian soil, but they had the 'home ice' advantage, even if they didn't know it! :D

shartley
01-31-2003, 09:33 PM
:D

tranman
01-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Xzion

Are you mocking our traditions!?!

LOL, I'm Canadian (as everyone can probably tell) and i haven't played a game of ice hockey in my life. i can barely skate! Go ahead, you can disown me Xzion...:( :D

Xzion
01-31-2003, 09:39 PM

LOL, I'm Canadian (as everyone can probably tell) and i haven't played a game of ice hockey in my life. i can barely skate! Go ahead, you can disown me Xzion...:( :D

don't feel bad, I can skate, I just have a hard time stopping is all.... that ice is slippery you know! :D

Ive only ever played floor hockey, was pretty good at it too :);)

mrhooie
01-31-2003, 09:40 PM
It's too bad this thread is 2 pages long now

So us as Canadians are to be punished for Renick's lack of foresight or unwillingness to try and work around what happened in 99?

I mean - it would be easy to partner with a local store who can claim the shipment as stock - the worst Rennick would have to do is pay GST on declared value

Oh well - I could rant all night - but it seems as the Canadian bashing and stereotyping has begun

Strider
01-31-2003, 09:42 PM
Ha, funny thread.

Funny sale they have there to eh!

(Woops)

Muzikman
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM

Hey Muzikman, i met you last year at skyball, although we didn't really talk (shook your hand though!), so i guess you didn't have much time to NOT hear "eh's" and "aboots".

Hmm...sorry about that man. I meet way too many people not only at paintball events, but in work too. I can never remeber people's names. I am good with faces though;) If I meet you again this year, make sure to slap me, that way i'll remember you.

Or be like Gambit and make some killer bugers, that way I'll remember you. Poor Gambit, I meet him at the Mega Tour at AGD back in Nov, 2001. I get to Shatner, he remembers me, I have no clue who he is, I'm talking to him on the phone and am like "Who the hell are you", he's like "We met at the MegaTour". I felt pretty damn stupid:)

shartley
01-31-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by mrhooie
It's too bad this thread is 2 pages long now

So us as Canadians are to be punished for Renick's lack of foresight or unwillingness to try and work around what happened in 99?

I mean - it would be easy to partner with a local store who can claim the shipment as stock - the worst Rennick would have to do is pay GST on declared value

Oh well - I could rant all night - but it seems as the Canadian bashing and stereotyping has begun
I honestly don't think anyone is REALLLLLLY bashing Canada in this thread. :p

Come on...

HoppysMag
01-31-2003, 10:11 PM
its a joke.

wimag
01-31-2003, 10:13 PM
Canada rocks. Only place i know you can give a stripper a toonie.

*ArKfEaR*
01-31-2003, 10:14 PM
LoL, i love it.

HATE ON CANADA DAY!

WhyIsItUpsideDown?
01-31-2003, 10:18 PM
Yes Canada is cool, who else has a beaver for their national animal?! Yes, so proud and majestic as it scuddles along gnawing on trees:D

billmi
01-31-2003, 10:51 PM
In 1999 I played at World Cup on Spikes 5150, a Canadian team and me, the yankee.

I had to learn new codes to mesh with the team.

Instead of yelling "G1 at the Dorito and another player about the middle of the field!"

I had to yell "G1 at the Tago and another player aboot the middle of the field, eh!"

Once I got that down we did just fine and finished in 8th place out of some 50 or so teams in our classification. I still see some of those players now playing for other teams, we had a great time. Fun thing (from an AO perspective) was being the "old guy" on a team of mostly teenagers I played back, and layed out more paint with my RT than they were with their Defiants.

In order to join the Canadian Contingent I had to become an honorary Canadian, which consisted mainly of making fun of watery, flavorless mass produced US beer. I get funny looks wearing my red and white maple leaf Can Con jersey on the fields down here in FL.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Thought for the day - Canada is part of North American, our neighbors to the north are Americans too.

mrhooie
02-01-2003, 02:57 AM

I honestly don't think anyone is REALLLLLLY bashing Canada in this thread. :p

Come on...

Well, if I came off saying the same things about the US - I'd have a War Against Bad Remarks after my behind.

I don't know where the popular "Slam Canada" came from - I think it had to do with South Park (a show I actually enjoy). But everyone seems to be quick to jump on the band wagon

I know, I know - it's like the little brother 'noogie' kind of deal - As a Proud Canadian - I just get tired of it

TNS2k2
02-01-2003, 03:18 AM
Okay Captain Canuck to the rescue!

the loonie isnt that bad, neither is the Toonie.
I like our color money, it looks like board game money, thanks Parker Brothers(really a conspiracy for making fun of us)

In northern Ontario, we dont say aboot, i dont think. I do say eh alot. it is usually to get an answer.
for example: i am talking to someone, ask them a question and end with eh bob? you know what i mean eh?

i will be more than happy to clarify more of our culture.
but for now i have to go, it is -40F which is -40C and i cranked up the heat in my igloo, and the moose is trying to escape. :D :p

Temo Vryce
02-01-2003, 12:11 PM
EH!
I like to say Eh, Eh. My all time favourite movie is Strange Brew. Watch it if you want to learn more about us Canucks Eh! Just don't try and pull that mouse in the beer bottle trick, it's our trick Eh. I say that if Renick wants to run his little sale then that's fine, Eh. We Canucks don't care, Eh. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that we are better than you Eh. I'm just say we're less worse. Eh!

Greenfield
02-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Yes, Strang Brew is a CLASSIC!

fire1811
02-01-2003, 07:23 PM
ahh a few other lovers of strange brew. i thought i was the only one. and its finally out on DVD. thank you lord

here is a canadian distress signal

Bartman
02-01-2003, 09:31 PM
And the list jsut grows

Hmmmm

Bartman
Team I have no Idea
www.ihni.org
AKA tech

1stdeadeye
02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
I just don't know. A country two times the size of the USA with like 10 people living there. I think they are plotting against us. Time to invade and create the 51st state! :p

HoppysMag
02-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
I just don't know. A country two times the size of the USA with like 10 people living there. I think they are plotting against us. Time to invade and create the 51st state! :p

we can call it south alaska!;)