PDA

View Full Version : What's a good age to have a kid start playing?

beam
02-01-2003, 01:27 PM
I have a son that turns 8 in March.

I have always figured that I would probably start him into playing the sport when he is 9. I think I saw a picture in a magazine of a 9 year old. He already knows about the equipment, paintballs, and has shot my markers.

However, I am concerned about safety equipment fitting him correctly, the pace of games, and just getting shot for the first time.

Any other dads have some input, or young players who started playing early?

Derman2k
02-01-2003, 01:32 PM
I started when i was 9...My friend who got me into started when he was 7...

But then again...It depends on your kid...if he's pretty crazy like i was he'd love it...if he's more like mellow you might wanna wait a lil longer. When i was 9 I would go cliff diving in Bermuda...so I dunno

Maybe you just wanna have him play a game with you on his team against 2 of your friends who will take it easy with him...let him get a taste of it

shartley
02-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by beam
I have a son that turns 8 in March.

I have always figured that I would probably start him into playing the sport when he is 9. I think I saw a picture in a magazine of a 9 year old. He already knows about the equipment, paintballs, and has shot my markers.

However, I am concerned about safety equipment fitting him correctly, the pace of games, and just getting shot for the first time.

Any other dads have some input, or young players who started playing early?
My son first played when he was 7. I think it depends on the child, and the setting. Private fields or private games at public fields should be fine for even very young kids as long as their safety equipment fits properly and they know how to use the equipment.

As for serious playing…. I would hold off until he was a little older. But like I said, to me there is nothing wrong with getting them started young. You just have to remember that they ARE young. ;) And if you make darn sure his safety equipment fits properly and he will not “lose it” when he gets shot, all should be well. I assume you are not planning on just tossing him into normal rec games at such a young age.

personman
02-01-2003, 01:33 PM
I started paintball 2 years ago, when I was 11, going on 12.
I'll tell you right now, my mask got pretty loose and I had to wear a hat under it to make it fit right. I think the right age to start playing, is 10-13, but really, it doesnt matter.. its just the minimum age of fields is usually around 10..
I cant remember my first shot, so obviousally it wasnt too bad. If you are playing with people who are chronoed in and trustworthy, his first paintball experiance should be a blast. I would even ask the players you were playing with for maybe a slower paced game.. but that might be asking too much for some people :D

Tunaman
02-01-2003, 01:36 PM
I started mine was he was 8. We used to play indoor, and he cried a few times. But he never gave up or wanted to go home. Now he is playing in Tourneys on a sponsored team. A fathers dream...I must say.;)

HoppysMag
02-01-2003, 01:48 PM
id say its ok to get him started now... but dont bring him to games with twibs... you know make sure you trust the people you play with and all that, cause it would suck to have him get turned away by some punk 15 year old kid whose mommy bought him an angel and he thinks hes hard core.

beam
02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may talk with him soon and see how he feels about it (I know he'll say yes). There is usually a big woods game the begining of April that I think would be good. We could just stick together and see what happens. If I'm right with him, I should be able to offer some comfort.

Do you recommend that he call himself out if he starts to get scared? Could this become a bad habit? I know a kid that used to play with us...he would always call himself out when things got hot and heavy.

Also, do they make Junior sized masks? I don't recall seeing anything like that in the major paintball stores.

I'm kinda excited...this will hopefully become a great way to spend time together. :)

elpimpo
02-01-2003, 03:48 PM
6 as long as he knows that you have to keep your mask on thats all he/she needs to be able to do but id recomend starting him with others and play under 200 fps

HoppysMag
02-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by beam
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may talk with him soon and see how he feels about it (I know he'll say yes). There is usually a big woods game the begining of April that I think would be good. We could just stick together and see what happens. If I'm right with him, I should be able to offer some comfort.

Do you recommend that he call himself out if he starts to get scared? Could this become a bad habit? I know a kid that used to play with us...he would always call himself out when things got hot and heavy.

Also, do they make Junior sized masks? I don't recall seeing anything like that in the major paintball stores.

I'm kinda excited...this will hopefully become a great way to spend time together. :)

i dont know of "Junior" sized masks but some are smaller than others... check into VForce armour masks http://www.actionvillage.com/020-9000.html

id also suggest he stay in untill he gets hit or a total bunkering in inimate ( tell him to stay in untill he gets hit, unless its obviouse hes going to get lit up, and to take surrenders when hes asked)

Kevmaster
02-01-2003, 05:47 PM
My field doesnt allow ANYONE under the Age of 10. Most fields I know of are the same. I know all Paintball Business Association's insurance program fields do aswell as It is a requirement. I dunno what APL allows, but I believe it is the same

HoppysMag
02-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster
My field doesnt allow ANYONE under the Age of 10. Most fields I know of are the same. I know all Paintball Business Association's insurance program fields do aswell as It is a requirement. I dunno what APL allows, but I believe it is the same

and everyone knows theres no where else to play besides an insured field:rolleyes:

Kevmaster
02-01-2003, 06:21 PM
yes, there are ther places, but Insured fields usually have some good guidlines set up to keep people safe

Xerces
02-01-2003, 08:25 PM
i'd say if hes got alot of energy, then he would probably enjoy paintball. just make sure that getting hit isn't going to shy him away from it.

confedman75
02-01-2003, 10:43 PM
I was more mild i was 13 when i started and was still painfull and scary you should start a young kid at either 7, 9, or 14 years old

elpimpo
02-02-2003, 12:41 AM
thats why i think you should start kids that are younger than 8 at 200 or less less than 10 250 and then what ever. after a wjile i think they should bump up but for starters those are good speeds

Smitty2k1
02-02-2003, 01:03 AM
I say ASAP, but I know the field around here, you have to be 10 because of insurance stuff...