PDA

View Full Version : Bulk nitrogen fill stations

speeddemon
02-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Im getting a large 6000 psi tank at home soon and was just wondering about what to use for the fill station. I read somewhere to just watch the valve on a fill station and when it gets up to the pressure you want close the valve. To me this just seems kind of unsafe. But I really have no idea. And the few regulated fill stations I could find cost upwards of $300 dollars. So to the people that have these bottles or work at fields, what do you use?

And before someone tells me to use scuba tanks, no. There are quite a few of us at home that play, and scuba tanks would not last long, and having to take it to get it filled would get annoying. And the cost of the tank is not a problem, and neither is the weight.

virus
02-01-2003, 04:41 PM
you are right... the first way is kinda unsafe... and the second way is probly going to be your best bet.... and even then it is not fool proof.... no matter how you look at it... dropping the 300 on a proper fill station is the way to go.....

Kevmaster
02-01-2003, 05:44 PM
I set up out current fill station...ours seems a little more compicated than yours(cascading system...3 6000psi tanks, 2 2200psi tanks)...but yes, please, please, please use a regulator. Yes, they are ~250 each( ithink thats what they are, i can double check that--i built it 2 years ago) but they are great regs. its just not safe to run without them. Like anything else paintball wise, the #1 thing is SAFTEY. You prolly could manage the put a gauge on there and fill till its full approach if you had the right kinda valve(like the one on a bath tub--not a ball valve) but I would strongly recommend against it

poolman450
02-02-2003, 03:20 PM
where did you get you cascade system? was it built or purchased?

Kevmaster
02-02-2003, 04:53 PM
If you mean the tanks themselves, we rent the tanks from a local company called "Machine and Welding"

You should have a local company that do the same for you

As for the cascading system(the hookup), we purchased the connectors for the tanks that take a 1/4"NPT hose from the M&W company. We obtained 7500psi SS braided hose from Paintball Inc(or main wholesler) and we also got the reg from them. Again, this was 2 years ago, and I dont know if they still have it/can get it. It took them about two weeks to get us the hose and the reg.

hope that helps, if not, ask again, but more specific

speeddemon
02-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Alright, the company I got the tank from is getting me an adjustable regulator too.

Now for another question, what about filtering the air? Do you and is it really necessary?

Hellaspaint
02-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Clean air is a must for paintball tank, regulator and gun.
With clean air no leaks from o-rings etc.
How you will fill the master tank? If you are using a SCUBA compressor you will be sure that the air is totally clean. These compressors have all the necessary filters to hold humidity, dust etc out of the tank.
I do not know what happen with industrial compressors and in which grade the air is clean.
You understand that compressed air for divers must be very-very clean and healthy.
AND for safety get a GOOD regulator. 6000psi in a tank is a lot of power - energy.
Be sure that the tank is in a safe and well secure place, always mounted in a wall.

poolman450
02-04-2003, 10:44 AM
speeddemon, where did you find a regulated fill station for approx $300.00 ?

Kevmaster
02-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes. the main question is are you going to run a compressor and fill your tanks or are you gonigt o have hte macine and weling co do the filling. We have them do it for us and they filter the air first so, we dont worry about the filter. if you are filling it off a compressor, then you will HAVE to have a filter

speeddemon
02-04-2003, 11:45 AM
well, I've been doing this all through my dad since he is at home and I'm at college right now. Turns out he went ahead and got nitrogen instead of compressed air, and it supposed to be well filterd and clean. I havent got the exact price of the regulator that he got, but he got it from the same place as the tank.

Ok, now I have one last question. What is the fitting that fits on the fill nipple of the tank? Just the name or a link, thats the only thing left now.

Edit:
I think I answered my own question, just tell me if I'm right, it looks like all I need for the hose is a 1/8" quick disconnect.

Hellaspaint
02-04-2003, 12:26 PM
the fill nipple is half part of a typical quick disconnect (male-female) .
If you can find a stainless steel quick disconnect -NOT BRASS - you can screw the female part i think to high pressure tube it come's from master tank.
I think you need a reducer (1/4 X 1/8) to screw the QD to the fitting from master tank.
Hope it help's