PDA

View Full Version : Need help on deciding which multi-insert barrel to get

paint magnet
02-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Please tell why you like / don't like each one and the setup you're using it on. I play to use this barrel (with different backs) for my mag and Angel and any other gun I get in the future so it has got to last.

Here's what I have as reasons to buy/ not to buy these barrels:

Powerlyte Scepter Kit-GOOD
inserts are durable and screw in

heard nothing but good about them

BAD-
price

only SS backs are available

smallest insert is .682 and I'm shooting Diablo paint occasionally that is .679 or so it seems

only 5 inserts

only 12 and 14" tips available

FREAK kit (with all 8 inserts)

Good-
8 Inserts
Lots of different length and different color fronts

Choice of front (AA or teardrop)

Choice of SS or Aluminum back

Parts are easy to find

Inserts are marked with bore size

BAD
inserts can wear out

inserts can come out of alignment

some people don't like smart parts

JJ Edge Kit
Good

has different backs and fronts

made by JJ
Bad
only SS backs available

expensive

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

WARPED1
02-02-2003, 02:37 PM
OTP G3 Dream series.Can get them on www.skanline.com ,they have 5 bore inserts.I used one on my Tribal,shoots darts.

darklord
02-02-2003, 03:05 PM
I thought Powerlyte wasn't available for mags... sounds to me like you need a freak.

oldsoldier
02-02-2003, 03:08 PM
I voted JJ Edge...the only downside to them is that with the original 4 in the kit, the smallest is only a .685. And, my backs are aluminum, no SS. You can get them with either set of backs...the SS will cost more (and be heavier).

paint magnet
02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Hmm, the J&J Edge doesn't seem to have a small enough size for me, and while it would be a lot more durable it seems like it would be a pain to have all those different backs (that's 8 backs to carry if you have it for 2 markers). I'm leaning towards the Freak because of the 8 inserts, or I could just buy a lot of CP, Lapco and JJ Ceramic barrels. Man, this is a tough choice. Off to pbreview...

rdb123
02-02-2003, 05:29 PM
That's kinda funny that one of the listed cons for the Scepter was the price... the Freak is more expensive IIRC. ;)

-Ron

paint magnet
02-02-2003, 06:03 PM
I've seen freaks for 185 and the Scepter is 209 I think. Sorry if I messed up the price, but you do get 3 less inserts and don't get a protective case to carry them in.

darklord
02-02-2003, 09:38 PM
PIE WINS! :D

NCpaintballer
02-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Here is some more info about the Powerlyte Sceptre system

Inserts are available in

ONLY

The 3 sleeve kit comes in a Redz barrel bag and the 5 sleeve kit comes in a custom "purse" barrel bag.

The Sleeves are color coded and have the bore sizes marked on them. Backs are available in Stainless Steel AND Aluminum. The Aluminum backs come in black or dust (whiteish grey). Tips are available in the same colors as the inserts.

Aluminum backs are a little scarce right now so finding one may be hard. They will be available from Powerlyte again in 3-4 weeks.

The Powerlyte kit is cheaper in most places than the Freak. I've seen it for as low as 149 (3 sleeve) to 184 (5 sleeve).

Automag Backs are not available and will most likely never be.

elpimpo
02-02-2003, 11:11 PM
the freak is awesome

sneakyhacker420
02-02-2003, 11:31 PM
get the equation barrel kit

PsychoBaller
02-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Waiting for a Scepter Kit.... just waiting for a cetain someone to tell me they are in.... mmmmm...14" Scepter kit... yum.

I was originally gonna get an Edge.. but I keep changing my mind back and forth between the two. Finally settled on Scepter.

~da baller

Skoad
02-03-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the J&J backs are NOT SS, they seem alumninumy to me.

paint magnet
02-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Well I guess I don't have much of a choice, if the Scepter sin't available in mag "threading". I have a couple questions though, on the Freak, the bolt doesn't actually hit the insert does it? And what is the website for the Equation kit? Is it available in mag threads? Again, thanks for the help.

athomas
02-04-2003, 10:14 AM
I like my equation kit with six stainless inserts. I have different lengths, colors, tips depending on what I want to do for the day.

BajaBoy
03-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by paint magnet
Please tell why you like / don't like each one and the setup you're using it on. I play to use this barrel (with different backs) for my mag and Angel and any other gun I get in the future so it has got to last.

Here's what I have as reasons to buy/ not to buy these barrels:

Powerlyte Scepter Kit-GOOD
inserts are durable and screw in

heard nothing but good about them

BAD-
price

only SS backs are available

smallest insert is .682 and I'm shooting Diablo paint occasionally that is .679 or so it seems

only 5 inserts

only 12 and 14" tips available

FREAK kit (with all 8 inserts)

Good-
8 Inserts
Lots of different length and different color fronts

Choice of front (AA or teardrop)

Choice of SS or Aluminum back

Parts are easy to find

Inserts are marked with bore size

BAD
inserts can wear out

inserts can come out of alignment

some people don't like smart parts

JJ Edge Kit
Good

has different backs and fronts

made by JJ
Bad
only SS backs available

expensive

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

did u say freak inserts wear out??? lol i Never heard this Ever b4

cphilip
03-15-2003, 11:45 AM
...and they don't "come out of alignment" either. Some people have had miss milled backs that needed exchange but that wasn't the inserts doing it. I got set thats two years old and its not wearing out or coming out of alignement...

You not considering the CP kit? I know its a bit more pricey but its sure a nice choice too.

Ryknow
03-15-2003, 12:00 PM
If you dont want a freak for a mag, I suggest an Equation Bizerk kit, it had 5 or 6 inserts I belive and they are teflon coated SS. The barrel itself in alum.

BajaBoy
cphilip, by the way what kind of barrel is going on your xmag? freak?:p

PzYcO
Uhm J&J Edge kit is allum, has 4 backs, and it only costs 114$ :eek: :eek: :eek:

paint magnet
03-15-2003, 06:23 PM
The Freak is sounding better and better, and I even got a chance to shoot one. It was .693 and shooting Diablo:eek: :eek: :eek: but it shot great. I think I'm going to go with the Freak since they are made for Automags, and to get it for a different gun only requires one different back, not 5;) Thanks a lot for the help.

rdb123
03-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Get the new-style Scepter kit. It works extremely well and looks really nice. (well on my SFL it does)

cphilip
03-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by BajaBoy
cphilip, by the way what kind of barrel is going on your xmag? freak?:p

You know I have been giving that some thought lately. I do have some cocker barrels. I have a Boomy but I realy do not want that weight on this marker. I have a OTP kit I could use but its silver so not realy a good match. I do have one short .693 CP barrel in black and the stock most likey will be about .689 or so. I could get by with that. I might pick up a Freak back until I decide. I just have not decided. Anyone gots a Aluminum Black Freak Cocker back they want to sell of trade give me a holler.

I realy think that when I can afford it I will get one of the CP kits for this X mag. Eventualy.

Phil
03-15-2003, 10:11 PM
cphilip check ebay. I see cocker freak backs there all the time. Have been looking for a angel newstyle silver freak back for about 2 weeks now.

AcemanPB
03-15-2003, 10:24 PM
I just bought a freak, and used it last saturday. I was shooting Anarchy with the .689 insert. I noticed while shooting that occasionly one of my balls would curve down really sharp :confused: . I think it might have been the paint because I noticed some flat spots on some of the balls.

Also after looking at my freak how can the inserts come out of "alignment" I don't understand what can mess up, could someone please explain?

sneakyhacker420
03-15-2003, 10:30 PM
cphillip, get an Evil PIPE Set... they are yummy

i'm waiting for evil to bring out the green-fade ones, so that i can put it on my impy :p

LaW
03-16-2003, 11:42 AM
I had a freak but I only used 2 inserts for the most part (i used a couple more at some tournaments but whatever)

I just bought an edge kit because i remember loving my 688 2pc J&J barrel I had on my emag a year ago. Great kit, 4 backs, 688 and 691 are what I usually use, and they have a 693 that comes in handy for me and if I end up shooting some small paint at 685 not too shabby :)