PDA

View Full Version : Tri-City Paintball - St. Charles Illinois

warpfeedmod
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Linky (http://www.dailyherald.com/search/main_story.asp?intID=37650114)

Homepage (http://www.tri-citypaintball.com/)

It's about 30 mins for me. They open next Sunday the 16th. I'll probably go but don't think I can play. Maybe just take some pics with the digi-cam.

I'm glad, 2nd indoor field next to CCP and it's closer then CCP for me.

demonguy8
02-03-2003, 04:24 PM
quite interesting...
Its the same distance as CCP is..... if its priced cheaper than CCP (*cough shouldnt be too hard *cough) then that is where Im goin during xmas break/maybe when its godawful hot in summer...

warpfeedmod
02-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by demonguy8
quite interesting...
Its the same distance as CCP is..... if its priced cheaper than CCP (*cough shouldnt be too hard *cough) then that is where Im goin during xmas break/maybe when its godawful hot in summer...

I'm going opening day the 16th with a bud. Gonna bring the digi-cam to take some pics so we'll see how it is. maybe play a few rounds or something.

I'll letcha know how their prices are. At $10 entrance it's already cheaper then CCP :p

shockman
02-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Where is CCP?

AllAmericanMag
02-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Glenwood, IL. www.ccpaintball.com

bladerunner
02-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Check their website, it says the grand opening is Feb. 7-9 now. :cool: :cool:

Bront
02-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Wish they said if it was field paint only or not, and what they charge for paint.

I was thinking about going to CPX on Sunday, but I may go there instead to check it out. Depends on the cost of paint and air (I get into CPX for free, so entry is actualy more expensive).

BlueMagRT
02-04-2003, 01:47 PM
i'll be there this weekend if anyone else is going let me know. i will probably bring my new x-mag out to shoot some paint through it for the first time. it sure will be nice to have a field less than an hour away :)

alkafluence
02-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by demonguy8
quite interesting...

Finally, something remotely closer for those of us in the West and N/W suburbs. And this will be good in a number of ways.

If and hopefully if, their prices are cheaper than CCP's, then that is a straight up advantage. Additionally, if this is the case, you think it might tend to make CCP lower their prices (specifically on paint) to compete.

This will be good all-around as it will promote competition.

CoolGSak
02-04-2003, 04:08 PM
I will definitely have to check it out, CCP does get very expensive very quickly. Although I think it will be the same distance for me...

Smitty2k1
02-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Im stuck in centeral IL, Bloomington/Normal to be exact. We have about 2 fields 45 mins away, one I hear is terrible, and the other is outdoor only. And we all know how long the outdoor paintball season is around here :)

:( I wish I was closer to chi-town.

the123
02-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Guys, I was at the field about a week ago helping put up the nets. The field is bigger than CCP, although it is split in 1/2 for two 5 man fields. The center dividing net can be drawn open (like drapes) for a giant 10 man sized field. The field is ALL Ultimate Air bunkers and the floor is concrete covered with about 3-4" of a shreded shoe material. By far, this field will blow CCP off the map. The field IS FPO (draxxus) and they will have TEAM PRACTICES on Sunday morning like CCP from 8 or 9 till noon. They spent a lot of money putting this thing together and it's going to ROCK! I'd be there this weekend but I have arangements to be @ Huntington Beach. I only live 15 minutes fromt he place, so if anyone is intersted in going leave me a message.
They will stay open till midnight Thurs-Sat. YES!

CoolGSak
02-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Wow, it does sounds pretty darn nice! I like the flooring idea, I am sure it will be better than CCP and especially BFG. Any idea what prices are going to be 123?

the123
02-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Indoor field, indoor prices. Expect $100 a case on recball. MAYBE a little less on teams. Not sure though. $10 admission is what the local newspaper said.

damageinc54
02-05-2003, 03:31 AM
Damage Inc. is going to have to check this place out :)

alkafluence
02-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by the123
Indoor field, indoor prices. Expect $100 a case on recball. MAYBE a little less on teams. Not sure though. $10 admission is what the local newspaper said.

Grrr, I sense a conspiracy. Paint is just as bloody expensive as CCP.

Come on companies, this isn't the middle 1990's anymore, paint doesn't cost that much, so stop gouging us!

Bront
02-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by alkafluence
Come on companies, this isn't the middle 1990's anymore, paint doesn't cost that much, so stop gouging us!

That's how most fields are able to make a profit. They charge little for entry, little to nothing for air, rentals aren't to expensive, and they get you on paint.

$100 for a case isn't too bad if it's reasonable quality stuff (For Field Paint Prices I mean) Last place I was at was $140 for a case of Hellfire (It was a special day, it it was down to $120, and I later won a bag of 500 for free), and it was bad due to the cold (Most balls were dimpled).

Smitty2k1
02-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Come to Bloominton/Normal... (Funks Grove) $5 admission + $5 all day air. $20/500 rounds (thats $80 for thoes of you that are slow)

Usually RPS of some sort or another

:)

damageinc54
02-10-2003, 04:18 AM
So is this place now open??? One of my guys tried calling there the other day and got no answer. Do they have team practices on Sunday's yet? If so does anybody have any idea how much practice paint is?

yeahthatsme
02-10-2003, 07:26 AM
your linky no work no more... linky (http://www.dailyherald.com/search/main_story.asp?intID=37658205)

anyways, i might check that place out this summer if i get to go up to chi-town.

Lunchboxx
02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Hey, I hit up TCP on Sunday the 9th, took a few pics.

First the staging area:

Lunchboxx
02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
The left field:

Lunchboxx
02-10-2003, 02:49 PM
And the right field:

Smitty2k1
02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Pretty sweet man.

SirOssis
02-10-2003, 06:37 PM
anyone that went wanna post a short review of how things went?

Lunchboxx
02-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Here's what I thought of TCP.

Taking us a good... oh... less than 30 minutes to get there, TCP has the distinct advantage to being very, very, and I do mean very close to me. Walking in, it looks like what used to be a business front, not unlike a doctors office. You walk through a few doors, pass a hallway with some restrooms in it, and come to the storefront. The store is pretty small, and they didn't appear to have the widest selection of items, but it was ample. Admission is $10, or $15 for all day air, while paint is $100 a case. Proceeding through the storefront, you come to the staging area. [Pic above]

The staging area is pretty large, with a counter for getting your paint as well as air fills, and a few arcade games against the wall. There are two rows of picnic type benches right in the middle, and they filled up rather quickly, with people on the floors all around. Another row of benches definately wouldn't hurt and would not provide a problem with cramping. They only fill to 3000psi and they used some form of Diablo paint, it was pink/yellow with a white fill.

From the staging area, you have a good view of the first field, which we called the Left field. [Pic above]

The left field wasn't too bad, with numerous soda cans as well as a soda can/laydown combo which we dubbed the castle. The one gripe I had with this field was that you could see all the way across to the other teams starting point a little too well. The field wasn't quite long enough for my likings, but there were a few good games I played on this one.

As you might expect, if there is a left field, there is also a right field. [Pic above]

Now, me, I didn't like the right field. It had the same problem of being too short for my likings (not too big of a problem, and not much they can do about it either) as well as the ability for one team to see the other team from their respective starting positions a little too well. What I really did not like about this field is that there did not seem to be enough bunkers on it. It just felt way too empty.

But then again, as with the other field, they did say these were intended to be three-man fields, but they packed a good nine or ten of us on each side for both fields.

Another thing, the floors are indeed made out of what appears to be shoe rubber. It is very soft, very easy to slide on, and overall was pretty nice. Sure, it got everywhere and in everything, but it wasn't enough to really bother me.

The refs/staff weren't bad at all, they were good people, obviously not yet jaded from the whole "paintball as work" dealie. Strict, yet fair, rules were enforced, the refs were more than fair. There was one rule, however, that hurt us a little more than it helped. The "no bunkering" rule, and they instead went with the "knock" rule. IE: you get to the other side of a bunker where someone is, knock on the bunker, and that person is out. A friend of mine I went with got out plenty more times than he would care to acknowledge.

The actual building/warehouse did have one overall thing that irked me. What I'm guessing to be the heaters were on the entire time, and those things were rather loud. It was difficult to hear other people yelling on the field over the hum of these monsters.

As far as how I played today, well... let's not go there. All I will say is that I had one good game, and I hit the ground HARD, more than once, and somehow managed to break a ball in my eVo2, which led to some not-so-good times.

Overall, while I do like CCP's larger field a little better, TCP has the closeness advantage. It really would be a toss-up between the two for me. If I had to give it a letter grade, I would give it a B- or so.

Xen
02-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Sounds good, but that bunkering rule has got to go, I can see that they dont want newbs getting bunkered left and right but that rule doesnt seem to be nessicary. The floor looks nice but eventualy if they dont keep it up well I can imagine spots of bare floor apearing where you slide often. 3000 psi is also a negitive but i guess with 15$ admission and free air i cant complain too much, it would hinder a tourny tho.

I will be there saturday so ill see how I like it.

damageinc54
02-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Damage Inc. will be at Tri-City PB this Saturday for try-outs and practice.

BlueMagRT
02-12-2003, 07:18 AM
I will be there saturday as well. i will be bringing a friend or two as well. just took my x-mag into airgun yesterday and had the trigger rod set to specs. (thank you jj for the help) don't know what time i will be there but it will probably be in the afternoon. few questions:

1) what size barrel system insert fits the paint.
2) i am assuming the field limit is 240?
3) about how many people showed up to play.

warpfeedmod
02-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Xen
Sounds good, but that bunkering rule has got to go, I can see that they dont want newbs getting bunkered left and right but that rule doesnt seem to be nessicary. The floor looks nice but eventualy if they dont keep it up well I can imagine spots of bare floor apearing where you slide often. 3000 psi is also a negitive but i guess with 15$ admission and free air i cant complain too much, it would hinder a tourny tho.

I will be there saturday so ill see how I like it.

Xen Country Club had used the same rule when I last played..not sure the reasoning behind it, I'm sure for the n00bs, but who knows.

Lunchboxx
02-12-2003, 11:50 AM
1) what size barrel system insert fits the paint?
I used a .687 Freak.

2) i am assuming the field limit is 240?
They have it at a nice 270 actually, and it wasn't as strictly enforced as you might think.

3) about how many people showed up to play?
A lot of people actually. More than enough to fit 20 people on each field and still have a crowded staging area.

Xen
02-15-2003, 11:21 PM
the paint there is like .684

nerobro
02-17-2003, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure I'd even call it .684. it was snug in my .682. Az was running his .684 insert. And nobody seemed to be getting good velocity consistancy. Maybe it was just a batch of crap paint. who knows.

The shell was soft too....

it was diablo nightmare.. Defintely a nightmare. I pray for better paint next time.

CoolGSak
02-17-2003, 11:02 AM
I was using the .687 insert with my IR3 and I had no complaints with the paint. My velocity was not as consistant as it usually is, but the paint itself shot great in my opinion.
Overall, I really enjoyed the place and will definitely be going back. The $5 all day air is very nice, and the flooring works perfectly!