PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level markers...

madmatt151
02-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Hey all, I took a whole bunch of guys playign this weekend and they got the bug. They are all asking me to get them markers. I was wondering wat a good entry level marker would be for them. I haven't like most of the Spyders I have seen, but it has been a while since I have used them. I saw the JT Excellerators and was impressed, especally since they were elctronic frames. Are the elctro spyders better? I personally like the Tippman 98s, but I ma unsure if these guys like the style of the tippman vs the spyders adn thier clones. Also, I had a ref t a field braggin all day about his M3 dragon. Is this marker any good or another Spyder clone? Thanks.

boggerman
02-04-2003, 02:05 AM
M3 dragon or black dragon is just another spyder clone with an electronic frame. They are inexpensive, but I would recommend a piranha if you are going to go with a spyder clone. Piranhas accept many of the same upgrades as spyders so parts are cheap, but the piranha is a better made, longer lasting marker, IMHO. Better yet, get mags! Nothing is more durable than a mag, and with the level 10 upgrade, no more short stroking/chopping problems.

Cryer
02-04-2003, 02:12 AM
I like Electro Spyders better than Rebels, Pirahnas, M3's, and JT's. You can adjust the trigger to some extent. Kingman's quality is alot better than Brass Eagle(JT). 32 degrees and M3 are just generic through and through. I'd suggest the Flash or E-99 spyders. Both are electro, both under $250.
I would start them out with a Tippmann. Tippmann 98 customs will never let you down. Run it over with an 18-wheeler, pick it up and it'll still work. I had one, and I loved it. The only reason I sold it was I needed money quick for the Mag. I never had a problem with it, though.

ttoad4000t
02-04-2003, 02:21 AM
PIRANHAS, they are AWSOME entry level markers, they preform better than the spyders (imo) and they NEVER break down, all you have to do is oil them twice a month (or every other time you play)

TheJester
02-04-2003, 06:32 AM
my tippmann 68 carbine has yet to still let me down. it's now called the pro-carbine, not a whole lot of upgrades for it though. it's easy enough to add an expansion chamber, reg, and a drop though. i also refer a stock carbine over a stock 98....you can just do more to a 98.

warpfeedmod
02-04-2003, 08:41 AM
I've seen used classic68 mags in the 200$ range on ebay. I just sold mine complete with extra barrels, bag, parts, etc for $200. no air/hopper/mask but you'ld have to buy one anyway.

If you go with something off of ebay make sure you know what your getting. some can be deals, others could be pieces of junk

madmatt151
02-04-2003, 09:12 AM
I totally agree with you guys about the mags, but I know these guys and they will want something new and want to spend under $200. I have already told them the quality they are gonna get so they can't be too suprised when they get lower quality. All I wanted to know is if any of the clones are better than the original Spyders. I thought the JT's were pretty good, but I have never shot any of them. I too sold my old mag to someone and he kept yelling at me throughout the game how happy he was with the gun! Even while it kept freezing up because he was using CO2. I love Tippmans, still have my Pro-Lite and it works perfectly. But these guys used renta tippmans at the game and I bet they will see those and think are pieces of junk because the rentals were. Basically I want a decent gun that won't fall apart on them. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

walker2287
02-04-2003, 09:30 AM
i would suggest a jt 5.0/6.0 u can get those pretty cheap now adays or a piranha both come with more features that spyders and are more durible. the pro-carb is nice but not in todays electronic markit. the black dragun has been nothing but problems. but a mag would be best if he wants to spend some more money.

digitard
02-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Maybe a Spyder Shutter or something .. they're like 180 or so ... pick up a 20oz CO2 tank for the time being and a Revvy ...

Sincerely,
Dave K

CLeatus
02-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Matt, I got a JT Excellarator for sale. It's on E-bay right now, it's a good starter gun. Easy to clean, really no adjustments nessacary. Just bring some extra 9 volts. :D

Clik here! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705316840&category=16048)

RAM3139
02-04-2003, 10:27 AM
The price on almost all spyders just dropped recently, so that you can get an Xtra(best mechanical spyder) for less than 100, and a flash/e99 for around 130. I have an Xtra and absolutley love it, its very well made and with just simple maintnence has never made me sit out a game. Quality control is very good for spyders IMO, and you cant beat the price. my .02

Riot[Z-Grip]
02-04-2003, 11:25 AM
You might want to have them look at Spyder Compact 2000s. I think that those sell for like $50 now, which is a good deal. There are many quality upgrades for Spyders even if they don't want to go the "LP" route. I used to shoot a Spyder 2000 (non-compact) and never had any problems with it. Spyders are easy to fix and the only real downside is the metric hoses and offset bottomline holes. I recommend the Kingman gun over the clones.

-Riot

covadsucks
02-04-2003, 12:25 PM
IWannaRiot is right.
I would get them started on a Spyder Compact and get them on some expansion chambers, a decent barrel like a SP Progressive, a motorized hopper and remote or antisiphoned CO2. I had a black spyder compact with a 14" Ultralite Boomstick and it was a great little rec ball gun. I shot a lot of people with that setup and never had any issues with the chrono or liquid CO2 getting into my gun. It was very dependable and never broke paint. I was amazed that it was such a little workhorse.

madmatt151
02-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. And I appreciate the offerings for guns for sale, but I need to buy minimum of 5 or so. There were definitely 5 guys who asked me and had money waiting. They just don't have the patience or time I guess ot look for a gun, and they know if they go to a store they will pay a premium. I have seen all kinds of electro spyders for good deals and I am waiting to see if the companies will give me a group purchase price or something. I mean I am not buying 100 but 5 is better than 1. Looks as if I will be recommending the E99 or the Imagine. I am unsure of what the difference is? There is a $20 orice difference, so must be something. Thanks again!

punkcmonkiez
02-04-2003, 04:46 PM
i believe the difference between them is the type of electro grip they come with. i have a fully upgraded compact with electro grip and stuff and is reliable as anything out there. definatly dont go with any clones thier all a waste and you might as well just go with the origanal. dont count out tippmann 98s tho slap a barrel on those and thier the most durable easy to use entry gun and way more reliable than a spyder.

Grenegopaintball
02-04-2003, 06:31 PM
get them either a mag or a cocker(Dont get angry but they come with free stuff now if you can still get 2k2's) for 309 you get like cocker and 12volt making the cocker in reality only like 260.Or for 319 you get cocker and hinge trigger making the cocker in reality 260.M3 is still a good gun and if it breaks which it shouldn't you can call m3 and they will probably give you a new one. If not they are cheap enough in price that you can just replace it for like 60-70 dollars.

AlabamaMan
02-04-2003, 06:36 PM
i don't know how you could go wrong with a 98 custom. I mean heck you can run em over with a truck and they will still work. Entry level = durability. No reason getting a spyder or clone to breakdown. Tippmann all the way.

ghideon
02-05-2003, 05:54 AM
Another vote for the Tippmann (98 in this case). I still have mine and use it as a loner gun (the mag never goes down). For the $120 or so, they can't be beat. They ain't gonna win a beauty contest, but they can take a beating (like mags). And they've got a large backing of upgrades/mods.

spazzed
02-05-2003, 09:42 AM
The way I see it, there's no way around it.. M98, period.

ShooterJM
02-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Keep in mind you might be able to get a deal if you're gonna walk in, cash in hand, and buy 5+ markers.

Heck if you can get 10 people you should look into 10 gun field packages. That way you get masks, tanks, plugs, and markers for significantly cheaper (sometimes) then you could get anything seperately.

Bront
02-05-2003, 07:48 PM
I've owned a Piranha, and an Automag. And honestly, I did not feel that my Piranha was any lesser quality construction than the Automag, simply aluminum, so with all the benifits and problems that go with that.

PMI and AGD have very similar and deserved reputaions about support and quality, and I would highly recomend a Piranha to any player looking for an entry level marker.

Specificly, the older Piranha E-force G3s are a great deal right now for a semi-auto only grip frame. It comes stock with a pretty nice reg, reasonable stock barrel, and a drop. It's also got the newer Piranha bolts, which are some of the nicest aluminum blowback bolts available (Significantly increased airflow while reducing feedtube blowback).

The new 2K3 Piranhas are nice, and if you don't need the electro frame, look at the EXT, which comes with their new reg (Redesigned with a much higher air fow and better range), flush cocking with the new bolt, and an angel threaded feed neck so you can get a high/low rise if you want.

Sparq
02-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Another vote for the Piranha. It's what I started on, great markers. And if you wish to go - mechalectro - as it were, the E-Force frame is supposed to be one of the best out there (assuming you dont need multiple firing modes).

Excuse my punctuation...my keyboard has reverted to french for some reason. Behold! : ÈÈ (supposed to be quotation marks) ...^çêéè and so on...