PDA

View Full Version : this is real cool

blembiggity
02-06-2003, 05:10 AM
Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak'

A Japanese scientist has developed a coat which appears to make the wearer invisible.

The illusion was part of a demonstration of optical camouflage technology at Tokyo University.

It is the brainchild of Professor Susumu Tachi who is in the early stage of research he hopes will eventually make camouflaged objects virtually transparent.

The photograph was taken through a viewfinder that uses a combination of moving images taken behind the wearer to give a transparent effect.

It's hoped the technology will be useful for surgeons frustrated their own hands and surgical tools can block their view of operations and pilots who wish cockpit floors were transparent for landings.

edweird
02-06-2003, 06:06 AM
Hrrm now to cover a Hopper with this stuff...

blembiggity
02-06-2003, 09:32 AM
i think i would want myself in this stuff so all u could see was a blue to black fade x mag comin at ya

-Carnifex-
02-06-2003, 09:49 AM
I believe the military is developing a vehicle like that, or they already ahve the prototype, I can't remember.

synreal
02-06-2003, 09:51 AM
video/link to reputable news source?

mag-hatter
02-06-2003, 10:18 AM
syn-that's pretty much the article. the site that i saw it on yesterday took the link down. o well.

that looks pretty worthless. it looks like he has a camera hooked up behind him and a power point pointing at his chest and its just showing whats going on behind him.

LittMag
02-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by mag-hatter
that looks pretty worthless. it looks like he has a camera hooked up behind him and a power point pointing at his chest and its just showing whats going on behind him.

Here's the BBC artice (basically the same info and picture) http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sci_tech/newsid_2730000/2730639.stm

But I really disagree with it being worthless. The technology for this is very new and it's probably pretty rough. When it gets refined, just imagine the uses.

blembiggity
02-06-2003, 10:48 AM
i knew there would be someone who didnt believe this, but it is real. they are trying to develop this more

joeyjoe367
02-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Active camoflauge, eh? Hmm... maybe now I can live out my Halo/Starcraft/Predator fantasies.... :D

synreal
02-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by blembiggity
i knew there would be someone who didnt believe this, but it is real. they are trying to develop this more

i'm not saying that i don't believe it. i'm just saying that my healthly skepticism requires more proof a single cut and pasted news article from an unlisted site with a single photo that makes such bold claims ;)

i'd love to see this technology come to fruition (its been around for quite a while, but has never been even remotely cost effective) show me a CNN/MSN/AP story on it with facts and video (this seems like to type of tech that a video would be worth 5000 words) and i'll "oooh" and "aaah", til then...

LittMag
02-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Understandable, however, I do tend to believe the BBC article.

spazzed
02-06-2003, 11:58 AM
There *IS* a Video out there... 3 minutes or so.. I remember watching it around 6 weeks ago... I'll see if I can find it..