PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Dye barrel,,, what's been your experience?

NiteWolf1138
02-07-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm considering getting a Dye 14" Titanium or Boomstick for my Mag. Anyone with some experience with these barrels please post your thoughts and experiences. Thank you.

NiteWolf1138

BajaBoy
02-07-2003, 04:47 PM
me xcel works great.. and my friends old boom did too.

PsychoBaller
02-07-2003, 05:11 PM
I ditched my 14" boomer for a Scepter Kit.... shoots darts man... im tellin ya... Tuna wasnt lying... its sick.

~da baller

halB
02-07-2003, 05:19 PM
since we now know that its paint to barrel match and nothing else that determines accuracy, we know that dyes no longer have any mystical powers. oh theyre good barrels, dont get me wrong, they ARE nice. however they are WAY too expensive, especially since u dont get much for what u buy. just save up a lil more and buy a freak kit or any changable bore kit, except for that empire kit, i took a look at it and it wasnt none too polished.

fire1811
02-07-2003, 06:13 PM
i have shot dyes the whole time i have played pball untill now since we are sponsored with freaks from smartparts:D

but anyhoo
dye barrels are excellent, but expensive, and from my experience with tit, boomers, and the new ultralight they all shoot the same. so if u just want the performance and not too bad of looks just get the ultralight. like i said it cheaper and shoots same as tit, and boomer.

just my .02 though

Brak
02-07-2003, 06:24 PM
i think they are great, but for the most part you are paying for the DYE name. the dye boomstick is pretty much the same as any 2 piece barrel

FalconGuy016
02-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I have a DYE SS, its great

ß.C.
02-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Dye Boomsticks I think is just a big waste of money. I think they don't improve much more thatn any other aftermarket barrel. I find the smart parts progressive and teardrop to be better than the boomstick and they only are a fraction of hte cost. I'd say buy the best barrel that looks good enough for you and matches with cheap paint. Then get a level 10 and you're all set. That's what I'm doing. Saves me a lot and the bore size IS really what matters. 32* team colors, all the cheap stuff. I just get paint to match and it shoots great. The level 10 helps them from breaking. I save money everytime I visit the paintball store and they'll soon pay for themselves.

dre1919
02-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I've got a DYE 10" black aluminum and I love it. I've had it for two years and it's worked great...they make a very nice barrel IMO.

Peach
02-08-2003, 12:13 AM
If you do get a dye barrel and you have a twist lock barrel system... Make sure you specify that you want a .688 bore size... .687 Barely fits w/ the lvl-x... And anything lower then that does not work at all.

puckmaster
02-08-2003, 01:28 AM
I hate my dye Boomstick that is on my cocker. I get many barrel breaks while using RPS Paintballs.

spacedtedybear
02-08-2003, 02:37 AM
Performance wise, all boomies and their varience perform the same. If you're not really stuck on DYE, S.P All American barrels are good barrels too. And you can usually find some of the older models online for pretty cheap. I have both All American (came with gun) and the Ti boomy ( bought used in good condition for $95) and they both perform pretty well, so long as you get a good paint match.

JEDI
02-08-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by halB
since we now know that its paint to barrel match and nothing else that determines accuracy, we know that dyes no longer have any mystical powers. oh theyre good barrels, dont get me wrong, they ARE nice. however they are WAY too expensive, especially since u dont get much for what u buy. just save up a lil more and buy a freak kit or any changable bore kit, except for that empire kit, i took a look at it and it wasnt none too polished.

I dont think HalB could be more wrong. Accuracy is not the only thing you should look for. Not all companies make their barrels to the same standards DYE does. You dont get much for what you buy? I own one of every Boomey.(Ultralight, Ti, SS) These barrels are flawless, and have tolerances that are rivaled only by the likes of AGD. You do need a "utility" barrel set, and you HAVE to match bore size, but when my paint fits in a boomstick, I would use it over ANY ANY ANY other barrel kit. In my opinion no single barrel "kit" even comes close to a boomey, especialy a Freak.

I think everyone should have at least one Boomstick in their arsenal. Just my opinion, dont jump on my back.:rolleyes:

mistwolf
02-08-2003, 08:16 AM
I have three aftermarket barrels, a J&J ceramic, a Palmer Pursuit custom brass, and a Dye alum. It's a toss up between them which is best. The Palmer likely would win, if it didn't weigh a small ton. The Dye has been my favourite for a long, long time, because it didn't break paint like my J&J, but I eventually noticed a burr on the inside of the J&J that was causing the breaks, and I have to say J&J was great, replaced it no questions asked, and now it shoots just fine.

Jamie

Carpecerevisi
02-09-2003, 04:39 AM
ts all about those damn wgp ones that look like the stock barrels from JT Excellerators. I got one off ebay for 20 bucks whan they came out. 16 inches long, waighed less than 3/4 pound, QUIET as hell, very accurate, Imm get another one...wonder if they make em for impys?