PDA

View Full Version : Frontpage webhosting

behemoth
02-07-2003, 07:26 PM
I cant find a free web hosting service that i can use with MS frontpage...what do i do?

shartley
02-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Get a cheap hosting account someplace that has Frontpage extensions enabled…. OR create the site in Frontpage, but don’t use any Frontpage extensions and then don’t use Frontpage to publish the site. Publish it in a folder on your desktop and then manually move all the files to your free hosting account.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for.

Will Wood
02-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I think the problem is in Frontpage itself :)

Try a trial of Dreamweaver. It will have less errors and easier to correct if you know just a little bit of HTML. Just a thing to make sure you do don't link images from your computer, upload them first and then link there. All you will have to really rename is links to other pages.

Restola
02-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Yeah you need a server that supports Frontpage Server Extensions. The only feature that is important to me is the forms support. Setting it up to have the results mailed to you or saved to a file takes seconds.

Here is a company I currently have 5 sites with (not all being paid for by me).

www.myhosting.com

Domain registration is $9.95/year. Hosting starts at $9.95/m. Everything is automated (your page is ready very quickly), and they reply quickly when you email them.

The other option is to install server extensions on your own computer and use ISS to host the site (have fun).

As for dreamweaver...

I like frontpage. A lot.

petefol
02-07-2003, 11:22 PM
just save the page as html and upload it to your site?

Sinistarr
02-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Try Speedsoft.com. They support FrontPage. I have several sites up with them. They are very helpfull and have estore options too. I belive it is $10 per month with 20 MB of server space.

LINK (http://www.speedsoft.com)

G

Restola
02-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by petefol
just save the page as html and upload it to your site?
In order to get some of the features Frontpage has, whoever hosts the site has to have an extra set of instructions (called Server Extensions) so handle those extra features.

Simply saving it and uploading will result in those features (bbs, forms, counters, that kind of stuff) not working.

dave_p
02-09-2003, 01:43 AM
how skilled are you?(not being a jerk, being sincere) if you know any unix and a little cgi you can get a free shell account here http://m-net.arbornet.org and do quite a bit. upload your page and retrieve data from forms with cgi. no pop ups or any of that annoying stuff. anyway its a thought. its free, reliable(up 24/7 for the years ive been on) and best of all no pop ups. for really cheap yopu can get accounts with bigger quotas and lots of priveleges.