PDA

View Full Version : Does powdercoating add weight?

ShatteredFaith
02-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if powdercoating would add weight to the object being powdercoated. Also, anyone know a good place to get anodizing done?

LaW
02-07-2003, 08:40 PM
the weight added, if any would be neglibible

shartley
02-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Anything that is added to an item will add weight. Well, unless it is Fairy Dust. ;)

Any weight that is added by powder coating or anodizing is so small that it would not be an issue. You can add more weight by simply changing your grips, or putting on a tank cover.

ShatteredFaith
02-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Ah, I see...then why don't more people powdercoat than anodize? It's cheaper... I've been thinking about getting a few things powdered, but I wasn't sure if this would add any significant weight or thickness to my stuff... does anodizing last longer?

FalconGuy016
02-07-2003, 08:56 PM
I think because it gives it a different look. Powdercoat looks like paint IMO, while anno looks like the metal is actually that color

LaW
02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
I think because it gives it a different look. Powdercoat looks like paint IMO, while anno looks like the metal is actually that color

powerdercoating can look just like anno if done correctly :) Here are some powdercoated parts...

the freak tip is how it came but i had the battery cover powdercoated...

http://www.uwm.edu/~jbrunner/color.jpg

*if image does not load it will soon (uploading) *

LaW
02-07-2003, 09:36 PM
also a better pic i guess

http://www.uwm.edu/~jbrunner/right.jpg

ShatteredFaith
02-07-2003, 09:37 PM
LaW- where did you get it done? I was thinking of getting it done at K&P customs.

LaW
02-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Ken does great work (kpcustoms) That is who I went through and have some more parts that I am going to have him do soon since they are sitting around. He had a lot of stuff going on this summer so he stopped taking orders and such. However he is getting back on his feet again with the powdercoating. Tell him that law(mark) recommended him :) I talk to ken a bit now and then. He is just a great guy and does great work and I have nothing bad to say about it.

50 cal
02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Powdercoating can look really nice. Wet sand it with a small dab of light oil and a very fine sandpaper or crokus cloth.