PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Hookups

FordPrefect
02-08-2003, 04:20 PM
If you have a stereo, and it has no digital audio in RCA hookups, is there anything you can do about it? Because the regular audio rca in ports won't receive a signal from my mp3 player.

Creative Mayhem
02-08-2003, 04:55 PM
portable mp3? and it it for your car or home system? if it is, use the headphone output with a headphone 1/4" plug? to rca plugs... thats what i do. works good. any other ?? PM me. Hope it helps..

C Mayhem

FordPrefect
02-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah, its a Archos Recorder 10. It has a digital in/out port in it. And it came with a cable that has a regular headphone plug on one end, and 2 RCA plugs on the other (left and right).

"if it is, use the headphone output with a headphone 1/4" plug? to rca plugs"

I didn't quite understand that part.

Creative Mayhem
02-08-2003, 06:18 PM
dont worry about it... thats what you have.. i was reffering to the connector you have... used that. plaug it into the stereo, and away you go. Uless you dont have rca jacks on your stereo?? :D

CM

FordPrefect
02-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Nah, it just doesn't work. If I hook up my portable CD player, it works. But the Mp3 player doesn't work. When I plug it in, I will get the little distortion of me putting the plug into the jack, but no music. I think it is because the jacks are not digital audio jacks, but they might be. And I might be compleatly off in saying this anyways, as there might be no difference.

bornl33t
02-08-2003, 10:40 PM
nah that's not the issue, if it looks like a audio jack ( not some sorta 9 pins connection or something ) then it's universal. I've been installing car stereo for 3 years now and have a plethora of portable cd players, portable cd players with mp3s and just straight out mp3 storage and have never had issues working they together. The one time I did was because it was not a normal 3mm stereo audio jack.

Mango
02-09-2003, 10:20 AM
The digital SPDIF plug on your MP3 player has a white ring around the connector right? If so, then that is a fiber optic output and you need the correct cable and inputs on your stereo to take advantage of it. If it says "digital" anywhere around that connector then you need a corresponding input on your reciever/stereo. There is no way to get any patch cables or anything for it.

This is the cable you would need:

**Edit* The link dosent fully work. At the top of the page, in the little pull down box, select "Fiber Optic" and it's the Monster Cable Lightspeed 100 Fiber Interlink cable, $44.99 **

Fiber Interlink (http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0211565206.1044804135@ @@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadchhkmemkicfngcfkmdffhdffg.0&upper=head.jsp&lower=frame2.jsp&left=leftchildcat.jsp&right=productsearch.jsp&department=Accessories&category=Audio%3a+Cables+and+Connections)

TigerMan
02-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Is what you have a Y-adapter? I use a Y-adapter plugs to hook up my MiniDisc player to my stereo. I just hook the two RCA plugs into there spots, plug the jack into the headphone plug on the MD player, and then just play. Got to put your stereo on Auxuliary setting also. If those don't work, may want to try one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F021%5F002&product%5Fid=12%2D2052 I'm not sure of the quality of the sound though you get with it.

If your having trouble though with the hookup, I can take some pics when I get home from work today of what I do.

FordPrefect
02-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Mango, the digital in/out jack in my Mp3 player would work the same way as a earphone jack. It is the same size, they just put it there so you can hook it up to hi-fi powered stereos, instead of ordinary headphones. I could plug the Y-cable into either one of these jacks (earphone or digital in/out) and it would still work, but there'd be a small sound quality difference.

I can't see any problem, it just doesn't put any sound through. Yes, I am using the correct auxiliary setting.

Mango
02-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Fordperfect, its not working because its NOT a headphone jack. It's a Digital SPDIF output jack that takes the special cable, and stereo equipment, to utilize. Your reciever needs an optical or digital coaxial input to recieve the signal from that Digital output, thus, why it is called "digital" :p

FordPrefect
02-10-2003, 06:06 PM
"Can I use either 'Line Out' or 'Ear' out to connect headphones or other audio equipment?

Yes, but only 'Ear' out will be loud enough for unpowered ear-phones or head-phones.
'Line Out' is a lower volume and is unaffected by the AJB6000 Volume control. It is of high quality and will be very good for most audio equipment.

Some people have found the 'Line Out' is too low a level for some equipment, so they use the 'Ear' out and crank up the volume.

The AJB6000 'Bass' and 'Treble' controls affect BOTH 'Ear' and 'Line Out'.

You may want to either set Sound to 'Flat', or else boost Bass or Treble, depending on what you are connecting to the player."

That is where I'm getting my information about the digital line in/out from. What I get out of that is its not a fiberoptic jack. If you still don't believe me, fine. Just explain, as you have been doing. :)

Mango
02-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Ahh your right, I apologize. I thought it was an SPDIF output, I just looked it up on the manufacturers website.

FordPrefect
02-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Thats okay, we all make mistakes. Although, since it is a regular output jack, I don't understand why it doesn't work.