PDA

View Full Version : PBX Blackcell takes 3rd in Skirmish 5 man Winter Tourny

FreshmanBob
02-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Despite temperatures in the teens and twentys, more than a foot of snow on the mostly woodsball fields, and rediculous amounts of barrel breaks Blackcell (and myself) placed 3rd in the Skirmish Winter 5 man. Here's some commentary.

We were fairing well for the beginning part of the tournament with two maxs and a Bi (several teams didn't show up) but had some trouble with our middle 2 games.
By our last game we had 435 points and needed to beat another teams 500 to win our division. The last game was on the one field we hated most, the Fox field. It was mostly small trees and had little cover in the center. Both tape's were bordered by larger grape vine like trees running down the length of the field. In a feat of tactical genius Blazing Ace had the idea to rush down the right tape and sweep them from that flank. I followed him and we worked together to take down 3 of the opposition. Meanwhile Govnamac held off the other two on our left tape line with the help of WC Keep and Dayspring who worked the left center. I pulled and after a minute of searching hung the flag. We got 90 points with 2 of their players still on the field, barely enough to make the finals.

The two final games we had were cursed by barrel breaks with the ever dropping temperature, making the paint crapier and crapier. We managed to take down three in the first game but I was the only one with a straight shooting gun, and got taken out midway into the game. The remaining two players of one of the Penn State teams (I think Blue) took out the rest of our team, who could only spray chunks out of their barrels. The next game against Wicked Good followed suit, accept for the end. Again there was massive amounts of paint breakage, but I was shooting fine and took down three. I beleive Dayspring got another and I closed in for the final elimination. In several minutes of snap shooting and moving and about 5 seconds of all out shooting I was elminated and the remaining player moved in to take out the remaining two players on our team. Fortunately time ran out and we got the victory to pull off 3rd.

Now we all have cool plaques and we got some pictures. Of course, none of me!! Accept one crappy one on the break..

It was a hell of day :cool:

Oh yeah, we all shoot mags;)

Load SM5
02-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Congrats guys, sounds like you did good despite the fact you had paint issues and WC Keep on your team.;) You guys should chip in a buy him a real trigger frame. Seriously.:D

1stdeadeye
02-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Okay, so where are your pictures?

govnamac
02-09-2003, 03:21 PM
We don't have any. None of us had a digital camera with us, and only 5 of us went, so that makes it a little hard. I thought we could strap a video camera to one of our heads, but the goggle cam might be too big a target. Skirmish photographer took some pics of us. They look like posed pics, even though they weren't, they actually were during a game. I'll post mine in a bit.

FreshmanBob
02-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Okay, so where are your pictures?

Dude, I'm just saying it was our first tourny and out of 18 teams we placed 3rd, something to be a little proud of.

PolishSausage
02-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Way to be guys! Nice Job!

1stdeadeye
02-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by FreshmanBob

Dude, I'm just saying it was our first tourny and out of 18 teams we placed 3rd, something to be a little proud of.

I understand. Maybe I should have phrased it differently. Can we see you pictures?

FreshmanBob
02-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks I appreciate it, I myself don't have any pictures but there should be some scanned ones up eventually, sorry for the wait.

PsychoBaller
02-09-2003, 04:07 PM
to bad I'm so new to the team I was unaware of this tourny... I have a Digicam and woulda been able to have someone take pics.. if not myself....

heh..

~da baller

FreshmanBob
02-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Yeah, we made arangements for it before thursday night, there'll be plenty more :)

Wc Keep
02-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5
Congrats guys, sounds like you did good despite the fact you had paint issues and WC Keep on your team.;) You guys should chip in a buy him a real trigger frame. Seriously.:D

what do you mean by real trigger frame??? :confused: it was bad my fingers are still hurting from the cold suffered yesterday. i have to say the skirmish photographer did an exceptional job.

Dayspring
02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
I also had a great time. While the conditions were somewhat "adverse" we had a great day of play and made friends with the Penn State Team.

Couple of things of note-

This was an open class tourney. Penn State's teams Blue & White are ranked as amateur. They said themselves that if paint had not been an issue that day w/ our guns, the outcome would have been totally different.

We became known as "The Mag Team" all day. There were several teams that were shocked by the fact that we're all warped.

Our classic valved, I-Framed shooter Freshmanbob got pulled for full-auto. :eek:

The judges had lots to learn about a reactive trigger and autoresponse. They all thought that it was more than one ball per full pull. We had to educate them. :)

In any case- we did have pics taken by their battlefield photographer and they are really nice. I'll scan in the ones I have soon.

dropkick1
02-09-2003, 06:13 PM
woohoo, i'm pround to be a blackcell groupie b/c of news like this. :D .

ken

1stdeadeye
02-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
There were several teams that were shocked by the fact that we're all warped.

How warped are you guys!:p

FreshmanBob
02-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring

Our classic valved, I-Framed shooter Freshmanbob got pulled for full-auto. :eek:

Heeeeey I wasn't at all surprised :cool:

It's all in the galactic z on/off

Dayspring
02-09-2003, 09:24 PM

Dayspring
02-09-2003, 09:25 PM

Dayspring
02-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Me. :)

dropkick1
02-09-2003, 09:34 PM
nice pics nick, o yeah i just remembered something, that your emag looks almost exactly chris's, haha i'm just messin with you man, haha, hopefully we'll play together soon:D .

ken

T 22 M
02-09-2003, 10:20 PM
nice job guys, my team was also in that tourny Team Gravity. i also have to agree on that how shyty that balls were workink in the barrels cuz of the cold... my team placed 3rd in our divison.. but didnt make the semi's because of some penalties.... i also watched you guys play penn state white it was a great game you guys put up a great fight even though your guns werent working as good as they could of been... o yea and i justr wanted to ask if you guys are goin to be playing in the GBL's at skirmish???

Wc Keep
02-09-2003, 10:23 PM
thanks t 22 m!

we are going to be playing global this year we will be entering the rookie division. thankfully global uses somewhat better paint.

Dayspring
02-09-2003, 10:30 PM
You have NO idea. :D

Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

How warped are you guys!:p

joeyjoe367
02-10-2003, 12:44 AM
Wow, that musta been FREEKIN' Cold :) I wanna go play in the snow... with paintball guns :)

Nice job. I bet you guys could have done a lot better without the paint issues.

Ack
02-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Heh.. good job guys! I spent the first 3 hours hanging out watching some of the early games.. got cold and went home =) I was wondering who was going to make the finals, since PSU seemed to be lumping up most teams. See ya'll at global in april.. when I can feel my fingers.

Wc Keep
02-10-2003, 09:42 AM
just to let you guys know those dye jersey are summertime jerseys.

and on that note i would like to thank our sponsors tunamart, frymark designs, and paintballistix. without them it would be much tougher to be able to practice as often as we do. thanks!!!!!

Dayspring
02-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Next time, wear something underneath the Jersey. :rolleyes:

I had on a shirt and sweatshirt under the jersey. You? Just the jersey. Who was warmer? ;)

Originally posted by Wc Keep
just to let you guys know those dye jersey are summertime jerseys.

ogre55
02-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Congrats guys. I love playing in the snow because I am one of the few people around who doesn't consider it cold unless it's so cold that urinating outdoors could lead to frostbite and/or major surgery.

I am curious if you guys will be appearing in APG anytime soon. Skirmish is one of APGs fave fields with a good percentage of the pics in any particular issue being from APG.

Ogre

T 22 M
02-10-2003, 12:05 PM
My team , Team Gravity will also be playing in the GPL's in Rookie.....and i hope they use better paint that ZAP sucked in the cold weather...i will also put up some pics of our team from the winter tourney i just havent had the tyme yet look bad later today around 5 ish for the pics...

FreshmanBob
02-10-2003, 02:07 PM
cool, we'll see you guys there T 22 M. Zap is usually OK paint and would normally have shot fine, but the fact that it was like in the 20s all day made any kina paint blow chunks. Even the blaze the rest of the team used in the last game was doing terrible.

joeyjoe, its not fun running at 3/4 speed for the 50 =/

playing in 2" of half melted slushy snow however is fun to slide in (FireBall Mountain a few months ago) but not 1' of packed freezing cold snow.

That first pic of us is the only one where I am visable. I'm the head leaning out on the left side of the pic :mad:

BajaBoy
02-10-2003, 03:07 PM
freshmembob who was your right back? it was funny how he got wise with penn state then he got shot out when his emag was choppin. lol

Wc Keep
02-10-2003, 03:11 PM
our right back was blazingace.

FreshmanBob
02-10-2003, 03:33 PM
There wasn't any real chopping going on, it was all in the barrel. Generally as soon as the ball entered the barrel but there was no evidence of chopping. I was even stopping on balls all day. What do you mean getting wise? I musta missed that

Dayspring
02-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Was he angry that we were having paint issues? You betcha. We couldn't really fight back.

Getting wise with another team because of it? No. We play and behave better than that.

rpm07
02-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Good job guys
congrats.

Blazingace
02-10-2003, 03:57 PM
You must have me mistaken for someone else. The refs got a kick out of me rubbing white paint all over myself trying to clean my barrel. The paint not with standing we had first all wrapped up. I though that freshman was great, but playing 3 or 4 on 1 was a little unfair. Where were you Baja? Didn't see you introduce yourself? I knew there would be fellow AOers there, but really didn't meet any of them.

FreshmanBob
02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
thx man :cool:

It woulda been a lot worse if you guys weren't there. They didn't know who's gun was down so they weren't moving in on me too much. Just wish I didn't get hit by that last guy in the final round.

Derman2k
02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by FreshmanBob

Heeeeey I wasn't at all surprised :cool:

It's all in the galactic z on/off

Were you serious about the galactic z part? Cuz everyone else on the boards says they suck...

Dayspring
02-10-2003, 04:27 PM
As far as I know, he's pulling your leg.

Originally posted by Derman2k
Were you serious about the galactic z part? Cuz everyone else on the boards says they suck...

FreshmanBob
02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
No man, I'm a proud user of the galactic Z on/off. My trigger is light, crisp and short and slightly reactive. They get a lotta crap but it works nicely for me an only costs like 30 bucks.

BajaBoy
02-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Blazingace
You must have me mistaken for someone else. The refs got a kick out of me rubbing white paint all over myself trying to clean my barrel. The paint not with standing we had first all wrapped up. I though that freshman was great, but playing 3 or 4 on 1 was a little unfair. Where were you Baja? Didn't see you introduce yourself? I knew there would be fellow AOers there, but really didn't meet any of them.

o ok my bad lol it looked diffrent, i think i walked up to you at the crono around 9, 9:30? and asked u if u were on Ao. But when i was watchin you, i was to your far right on the sideline. Anyway nice game. Did you ever reall talk to guys on Psu? I talked to the Division one coach i think? he was really nice.

i was in a red jt proline with a red jt mask. (same with my bro "t22m")

PaInTbAlLeR476
02-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Origanaly i was supposed to be there... But do to a weekend in Vermont i wasent. Good Job.

Ronin 23
02-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Congrats to PBX Black Cell's showing at Skirmish. See y'all when Riotz and I get back from Cali.

/s/ Mel C. Maravilla
Capt. Team PBX

Creative Mayhem
02-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Way to go guys!!! Damn paint alwasy seem to screw things up one way or the other....

C Mayhem

straightshot
02-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Congrats on your placing fellas. I give you credit for even playing....Skirmish was freezing in November....

dex
02-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Nice job BLACKCELL.

JEDI
02-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by dex
Nice job BLACKCELL.
What he said.

Clare
02-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Congratulations BlackCell! :D

Great pics, too

PsychoMag
02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Congradulations!!!

Awesome job...

Dayspring
02-12-2003, 10:13 AM
While it was nice that we were famous for a few days, it's back to work. (And back to the general population ;) )

Blazingace
02-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. 15 minutes of fame is all I need.....for now at least.

Baja: I remember you at the chrono station. I think the time you are refering to was the semi final game that I shot about 400 balls and 399 of them broke out of the gun. I was alittle miffed that we lost because I was helpless to prevent it. The PSU guys were great. They might be coming to an AO day in Jersey, but I don't know.

See you all on the field.

FreshmanBob
02-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the appreciation guys, it definately means a lot to us.

Riotz
02-13-2003, 12:22 AM
Good job guys. I wish I was there.

Blazingace
02-13-2003, 12:29 AM
One: Thank you Riotz. We wish you were there too. We needed a Pod/Air b!%$^.:D

Two: You dog you. How was the games with Bea.

Dayspring
03-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Pics from Skirmish came in. Thought I'd share.

Back Row- Govnamac, Me, Blazingace
Front Row- FreshmanBob, WC_Keep

Dayspring
03-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Blazingace

PsychoBaller
03-31-2003, 01:18 AM
Joel pimpin the devil horns... muuhahaha, cough "inside joke" cough.....