PDA

View Full Version : DYE throttle price!

TheJester
02-09-2003, 09:13 PM
have you guys seen the prices on the new DYE throttle air systems?!? only the presets are available threw pre-order, but they're asking 350 for a preset!, you can almost get a flatline for that. God knows how much they're gonna ask for the adjustables.

click the throttle at

http://www.dyeprecision.com/main.html

personman
02-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Hehe.. Thats DYE for ya, always pretty expensive..
But then again thats direct from the manufacturer, mabye retail it will be cheaper, but not much, thats fo sho.

EsPo
02-09-2003, 09:17 PM
im guessing 500 for the adjustable...

Fred
02-09-2003, 09:19 PM
70, 71, and 90 cu??? what???

the prices are outrageous, and I think the Flatline looks a lot better too.

---Fred

_Spork_1
02-09-2003, 09:26 PM
max flows cost 400 on smart parts website

you can find them for 300 on most sites

so.......im guessing this is going to be a lot cheaper

darklord
02-09-2003, 09:35 PM
If it's made by DYE it must be good! :rolleyes: :D

einhander619
02-09-2003, 10:04 PM
I got a brand new geddon for $180. Poop on the throttle.

WARPED1
02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
DYE charges wayyyyyyyyy too much for average quality stuff.

devildog
02-09-2003, 10:43 PM
yeah but all of dyes stuff looks sooooooo damn cool, the dye cocker is one of the sexiest looking marker there are, that and the c&c xtreme, but they look similair, anyway, did you see the inline reg, damn that is sweet looking

WARPED1
02-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I will not give DYE a single penny I earn.

thevilduk
02-09-2003, 11:34 PM
nahh the presets will be all like 1500 dollars.

BlackVCG
02-10-2003, 12:19 AM
You know, I use to think DYE was a bunch of overrated high priced garbage.

I bought a DYE Aluminum and then I got a DYE Xcel for doing some work and then I ordered a couple of Boomsticks from Tunaman. The fit and finish on their stuff is the best. They have people polishing stuff all day long there and that's a lot of what you're paying for, but I don't mind. I also like doing business with Tunaman because he's the best guy on the face of the planet to deal with and he is a big time DYE dealer. I ordered some of the new DYE pants from him so I'll see how well those are made, but DYE stuff isn't average quality.

I recommend contacting Tunaman for anything DYE. He'll get you anything you want, faster than most online places and you won't ever deal with not getting the right stuff you ordered.

I like DYE now because I can get it from a person I like dealing with, the quality is good and DYE is a company I still respect because from what I've seen, they still have a tasteful presence at tournaments and in their advertising.

Peach
02-10-2003, 12:24 AM
*Thinks* How much were your pants... ?

joeyjoe367
02-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Considering that these prices are MSRP, I think we can safely assume that they'll be significantly lower...

...not saying that it's not expensive.. $350 for a preset is nuts.

*Edit* OH god! have you seen how much they want for their stock-class guns? $680 for a Carter Buzzard! Damn, they're sexy... but it's a PUMP GUN! :rolleyes:

WARPED1
02-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Carter buzzards are also completely hand built by Raron Carter in Hawii.

DiRTyBuNNy
02-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Just to correct you, Aaron Carter lives in San Diego, not Hawaii. I see him all the time at Dye when I go there to pick stuff up. Yes, they are handbuilt, and so are phantoms and they cost 1/3 the price.

madmatt151
02-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Hey I hand built a MAg for someone and I only charged him $250. Did I undercharge or something! :)

einhander619
02-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Technically, most paintguns are built by hand, right?;) I'll shell a few extra bucks here and there for nice dye stuff, but a $350 preset tank? They oughtta be ashamed.

BlackVCG
02-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Think about it...

In the AGD Online Store STANDARD E-Mags are $1250. Online they go for right about 900.

4500 Flatlines are 480 and they can be had for about 360 online.

I would bet that you'll see this system retailing for just over 200, which for a preset system with a fiber wrapped tank and a GOOD quality reg, isn't that bad.

TheJester
02-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Fred
70, 71, and 90 cu??? what???

the prices are outrageous, and I think the Flatline looks a lot better too.

---Fred

it's 350 for every size.

yes, it will prolly be cheaper other places, but probably not for a little while, the reason why things are cheaper if you don't buy factory direct is because they've been out for a while.

yeahthatsme
02-10-2003, 07:18 AM
no the reason stuff is cheaper from third party dealers is they buy in bulk and sell at discounted prices...

Mr.Minus
02-10-2003, 09:57 AM
phantoms are not hand made...
buzzards are hand made by one guy individually one by one, and they are really expensive, phantoms are made by one guy, but he makes a bunch at the same time and the quality is unbeatable!!!

Phil
02-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Air America is selling their new presets "the reg" for $150. They are 68/45 and have a lifetime warranty. They look just like the Me'Lee which was an awesome reg.

shartley
02-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
You know, I use to think DYE was a bunch of overrated high priced garbage.

I bought a DYE Aluminum and then I got a DYE Xcel for doing some work and then I ordered a couple of Boomsticks from Tunaman. The fit and finish on their stuff is the best. They have people polishing stuff all day long there and that's a lot of what you're paying for, but I don't mind. I also like doing business with Tunaman because he's the best guy on the face of the planet to deal with and he is a big time DYE dealer. I ordered some of the new DYE pants from him so I'll see how well those are made, but DYE stuff isn't average quality.

I recommend contacting Tunaman for anything DYE. He'll get you anything you want, faster than most online places and you won't ever deal with not getting the right stuff you ordered.

I like DYE now because I can get it from a person I like dealing with, the quality is good and DYE is a company I still respect because from what I've seen, they still have a tasteful presence at tournaments and in their advertising.
I could not agree more.

And if folks don’t want to pay the price for quality.. fine, then don’t. But I find that way of thinking very odd coming from Mag owners. LOL

joeyjoe367
02-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by shartley

I could not agree more.

And if folks don’t want to pay the price for quality.. fine, then don’t. But I find that way of thinking very odd coming from Mag owners. LOL

See, the thing is, I don't think that you get that much a benefit, as far as quality goes. I get the same range and accuracy (duh) from an ACI Zero-Gravity as I do with a boomstick when I've got good paint/barrel matches.

I honestly don't believe that it makes a differance when you hone down to 5 microns or whatever dye claims it does. Aerodynamics of a paintball simply don't allow that to increase accuracy at all.

Yes, Dye makes pretty products, and that's great. Everyone likes pretty. But to pay prices like that, just for "pretty" is not the way to empty out my wallet.

BlackVCG
02-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Then why do people dump $1400 into an X-Mag when a regular E-Mag can be had for about $900? Sure, the X-Mag cuts down on the weight, but what you're really paying for is that body that takes an hour or so to machine and all of the pretty colors they come in now. Also right now you're paying for the supply and demand. Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

shartley
02-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
See, the thing is, I don't think that you get that much a benefit, as far as quality goes. I get the same range and accuracy (duh) from an ACI Zero-Gravity as I do with a boomstick when I've got good paint/barrel matches.

I honestly don't believe that it makes a differance when you hone down to 5 microns or whatever dye claims it does. Aerodynamics of a paintball simply don't allow that to increase accuracy at all.

Yes, Dye makes pretty products, and that's great. Everyone likes pretty. But to pay prices like that, just for "pretty" is not the way to empty out my wallet.
Is accuracy the only measurement of quality?

If you put two cars next to each other, and they both have front wheel drive, both have 6 cylinder engines putting out 150 hp, both seat 5, and almost every other major feature is the same or comparable, would you just pick the one that costs less? I don’t know about you, but I would sit in it, look at the trim, and a whole lot of other things… and most likely end up buying the one that has better overall quality….. yet, the basic specs are nearly identical.

To some of us, it is the little things that influence our buying decisions. And we are willing to pay more for what we perceive as quality, even if it does not affect the performance of the item. And with Dye, they pay attention to things that other manufacturers just don’t seem to care about…. and because of customers like you that don’t care about them.

But that is quite alright. Don’t buy Dye products. But if you think Dye products are “just” prettier, I would disagree with you. If you read my review on their tank covers (or instance), you will see that they not only make their products LOOK good, but the quality of that is not just a nice design or a paint job, it is actual quality construction and workmanship. You are overlooking pretty looks as if that is the only difference, cosmetics… and that is by far not the case.

Dye takes great pride in their products and not simply to make them look good, there is much more to it than that. And they know that not everyone will be willing to pay for the added quality and care they take. But to think that all they do is make pretty products with no other quality differences is simply wrong.

cphilip
02-10-2003, 12:25 PM
I send everyone I know looking for Dye stuff to Tunaman as has already been stated so well.

I like their stuff. It's quality stuff more often than not. It is pricey but it can be had for less than that MSRP you are throwing around. I had a set of them pants too but the Kid took em away from me. And I do have a Jersey and Tank cover. Some gloves too. And one of thier masks. All of them are well made and comfortable.

No need to say more as several others have already pointed this out to you.

Little Matt
02-10-2003, 12:34 PM
The carter buzzards, are not only hand made but made to order. He doesn't make the thing until the gun is ordered. So every gun can be special. lol. But Dye is a company I truly respect and will always have my business if they keep doing things the way they have been over the last couple of years.

Later,

joeyjoe367
02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by shartley

But that is quite alright. Don’t buy Dye products. But if you think Dye products are “just” prettier, I would disagree with you. If you read my review on their tank covers (or instance), you will see that they not only make their products LOOK good, but the quality of that is not just a nice design or a paint job, it is actual quality construction and workmanship. You are overlooking pretty looks as if that is the only difference, cosmetics… and that is by far not the case.

Dye takes great pride in their products and not simply to make them look good, there is much more to it than that. And they know that not everyone will be willing to pay for the added quality and care they take. But to think that all they do is make pretty products with no other quality differences is simply wrong.

My oppinion that Dye just makes things "pretty" was only towards their barrels. Sorry, I should have specified.

I've seen their jerseys and their tank covers, as well as their pads. The tank covers *are*, in fact, the best made tank covers I've seen on the paintball market today, and I plan on getting one for my dynaflow tank.

As for the throttle Air systems, I guess I can't say anything because I've yet to see how they perform. For all we know, they could be *hands-down* the best air system on the market. Then again, you may find out that using co2 is better than a dye air system. I guess we'll have to see.

shartley
02-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Points taken. :)

cledford
02-10-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm not trying to steal business away from Tuna (I like him too) but at least with regard to barrels I don't agree that Dye produces quality stuff and until just recently they were the most expensive. I have NEVER seen a boomstick (I've own 3 for the record) that wasn't mis-aligned between the front and the back. What kind of silly idea is it to glue barrel halves (on stepped bore barrels) together in the first place? That's cheap manufacturing in my book - for something that you're paying a good bit of coin for.

I'm now getting ready to buy a Lowbow system. They are VERY expensive but since the 2 barrel halves screw together and have a "dovetail" like mating face between the halves they line up much better. I want titanium barrels, wasn't going to pay DYEs prices when I could get something well engineered for about the same. Also the Lowbow has the "hardbore" finish that *claims* to be smoother then any polishing ever. The mating of the 2 barrels is enough for me, but *if* the hardbore is as good as it claims, then that will make it even a better deal.

My take is if you're looking for barrels consider others then DYE.

-Calvin

cphilip
02-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh yea no doubt there are plenty of other barrels out there taht are well made and work well. I realy have no real hankering for Boomsticks myself... Had a few (3). One for a Cocker (still have that one), One Automag and one Spyder as a matter of fact. They worked fine but they are heavy and I never paid MSRP for them. And thier resale value held up since I didn't pay near MSRP for them. Now their Titaniums and such seem real nice. I don't have one but they seem light and look good. But there are plenty of well made barrels out there besides Dye. And some a lot cheaper I will have to admit that. CP and SP to name a few.

JT2002
02-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
I got a brand new geddon for $180. Poop on the throttle.

how the freak did you do that?:eek: TELL ME!!!!:mad:
:D :D :D :D :D

TheJester
02-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by cledford
What kind of silly idea is it to glue barrel halves (on stepped bore barrels) together in the first place? That's cheap manufacturing in my book - for something that you're paying a good bit of coin for.
-Calvin

glue is a bit of an understatment, yes, when it all boils down, that's what it is. It's actually epoxy, entire aircraft are assembled using epoxy, so in terms of cheap manufacturing, well isn't that what you want? to manufacture quality goods at the lowest possible price? "glueing" things together has been a practice in the business for a long time. that's how your valve on your co2 tanks, and regs on compressed air tanks are put together, threads and loc-tite, and loc-tite is nothing more than a fancy glue...terms of the boom stick, threads and epoxy.

cledford
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TheJester

glue is a bit of an understatment, yes, when it all boils down, that's what it is. It's actually epoxy, entire aircraft are assembled using epoxy, so in terms of cheap manufacturing, well isn't that what you want? to manufacture quality goods at the lowest possible price? "glueing" things together has been a practice in the business for a long time. that's how your valve on your co2 tanks, and regs on compressed air tanks are put together, threads and loc-tite, and loc-tite is nothing more than a fancy glue...terms of the boom stick, threads and epoxy.

dude, you are REALLY stretching it. There is no aircraft made "entirely" using epoxy as a faster and when it is used I seriously doubt it's to mate pieces together that require a precision fit or strength. Second, I have a problem getting charged premium price for a half-baked job. The fact that several other barrel makers produce a product that threads together and for cheaper calls DYEs practice into serious question.

-Calvin

AcemanPB
02-10-2003, 04:30 PM
I own a dye tank cover, a new pair of '03 gloves, a couple of barrels, and shot several of their autocockers ... from what I've seen, nothing but the best quality.

I have some of the '03 pants on back order from DYE, does anyone think Tunaman can get me a pair faster? I mean afterall I am ordering straight from the manufactuer.

(lol my gloves came in a Sweet&Low box, beat that AGD!! :D )

nospmas311
02-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Phil
Air America is selling their new presets "the reg" for $150. They are 68/45 and have a lifetime warranty. They look just like the Me'Lee which was an awesome reg.

I hope nobody else did this becuase i'm to lazy to finish reading the rest of the posts. The price on "the reg" is so cheap beacuse it's a 30 day guarantee. Again, it took more effort to type this than to scroll a mouse wheel but I had already started.

Mr.Minus
02-11-2003, 08:38 PM
ive been reading through here and someone talked about air america bottles (very nice) for 150, they upped the price to 200 :( its bottle and a cheap but "tank-like" reg

magsRus
02-11-2003, 10:26 PM
DYE products are all good...as you can tell I front their gear

Edit: You can show off your Dye stuff if you like, but not in a pic that's well over 100k. Not everyone has a broadband connection or wants to resize their browser window just for your picture.

In the future, keep your pics at 35k or less.

Gunga

magman007
02-11-2003, 11:11 PM
omg lemme say, the shoes are damn friggin comfey as well, no one stated that yet, and there not falling apart yet, and ive been wearing em every day for a month, the tred shoes no signs of wear, and te stitching is holding pretty damn well, much better than any other shoe in their price range

Peach
02-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Dye is a great company for many products, but bad for a few. To mention the bad, the barrel(just the price), I own 2 boomsticks, and I just recently bought a freak which I enjoy much more then the boomy. But I can say, if dye mad an insert-based barrel it would be the top on the market. From looking down their SS backs, they are smoothest and shinyest pecies of metal on earth. I wish I could say the same for my freak, but ironicly the freak performs better. Another bad, or disliked product by me made by dye is their cockers. I don't hate cockers in general... But the dye cockers are beautiful but the insides are NOT top notch.

I would buy Dye apparel over any other company. BTW I'm looking for some pants and a jersy, Hi Tuna! I also have a rhino tank cover which I paid a pretty penny for, but if it protect my new investment, 68/4.5k flatline, it's worth the pricetag.

DiRTyBuNNy
02-12-2003, 01:09 AM
MagsRus..you may rock the dye gear..but you need to rock Photoshop and resize that pic...dang..I needed to resize my desktop just to see the whole thing..

lamby
02-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Alot if DYE bashing here... I for one love the stuff I got from dye (tank protector, and pods) and think they make a good product. the old addage is true, you get what you pay for.

I am looking forward to the release of the locking pods. I need to get me about 15 of those to replace all of my other pods. There is nothing worse than releasing the velcro of a pack and having paint fall everywhere.

magsRus
02-13-2003, 02:56 PM
my bad