PDA

View Full Version : how old is this cocker.....#17 what would you pay?

GT
02-10-2003, 01:35 AM
well anyone have an idea what year it is? guy says its number 17, how much wuold you guys pay for it?

jb

RoadDawg
02-10-2003, 01:39 AM
$0.00 :D

Kevmaster
02-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I saw a stock #9 one go for ~500 on ebay...not a bad find for a stock cocker

Painthappy
02-10-2003, 08:23 AM
not really making much sense....

The autococker #'s did not restart. You'll find autocockers in the 6000 and up range.

The mini-cockers on the other hand, DID restart their numbers since they had a different body.

Can you get some better pics of the gun / pneumatics / and serial #?

Painthappy

lopxtc
02-10-2003, 09:34 AM
See if it has the number 62 before the serial numbers. I believe the original Sniper II's (or Sniper I maybe) where 62 caliber. They had the 62 and then the serial number on the body.

Aaron

Painthappy
02-10-2003, 09:53 AM
I have an original sniper: #332

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/images/sniper1_1.jpg

Then I have an extremely early sniper II - # 2440

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/sniper_newgrips.jpg

And I have an autococker that I purchased the first year they came out (later in the year though) # 8168

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/images/autococker_2.jpg

Hope some of that helps....

Painthappy

shartley
02-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Painthappy
I have an original sniper: #332

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/images/sniper1_1.jpg

[clearing throat]
I beg to differ… you OWN an original sniper #332…. But you don’t “have” all of it. ;);)

You sure do own a lot of very nice markers. I can’t wait to see all your pictures updated with your new camera.

Painthappy
02-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Yeah... I'm having Shartley Customs working diligently on some new grips for this gun. :)

That and on a Grey Ghost too... He already did the custom "Painthappy" grips on the Sniper II pictured above.

I'll post more pics (in a separate thread) when they're done!

Painthappy

shartley
02-10-2003, 10:14 AM
I was just ribbing you a little. ;) Expect something this week! :D

Oh, and get to work on all those pictures!!!! ;) And that latest Palmer you posted on your site (EBAY auction) SWEEEEEEEET! If I had the funds, I would be tossing my hat into the ring for it.

Webmaster
02-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Well - as one who collects old guns and keeps tabs on the market - the answer is: depends whos bying it.

If its someone wanting to play with it, Ive seen similar guns go for only $150-200 on ebay.

Now as a collector It may go higher. I think $500 is a bit much, but I am constantly surprised what some people are willing to pay for. (KPs recently have gotten stupid in thier pricing)

You really need some close ups of the pneumatics - ESPECIALLY the serial number.

You see, as pianthappy pointed out - the sniper body serial numbers (as far as I have seen) never "reset". They started with the Sniper1, then the sniper 2, then the Autococker, as they basically use the same body. They did reset the count with the minicocker.

If one told me you had #17, I would say you had a sniper 1 that had been converted. But if you note painthappys pics, Snipers 1s lack a site rail. So you definately have a sniper 2 body...

So - get us a pic of the serial number. What you do have is a nice example of an early cocker though - probably from around 1990ish.

When people ask me what something is worth - I tell them what *I* would pay for it, and the prices I have seen on ebay. My recommendation for anyone is if they want the best price is to put it up on ebay. The free market determines value and ebay is great at that. I have seen over priced stuff never sell -and things I thought woudl go for reasonable price go for much more.... So do get a pic. If he wants to try to sell it, go ebay. Unless he wants to cut a collector a break, then sell it for 200ish on here or the tinkeres guild.

GT
02-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys,
as for extra pics he said his digi is broke. He was asking 275. From what I read these old cockers are hunks of crap. I was thinking of a nice spot on the wall for it for the right price but nearly 300 is a bit much.

1. Do you guys have any links to old paintball info?

2. If I buy it I will post pics of it here.

3. where do you guys find your old..."classic" paintball gear?

JB

Painthappy
02-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Old paintball info can be hard to comeby here and there... PPIG (pump players internet guild) but currently down, is a good resource.

Basically, just ask, and those who know will try and help out.

$300.00 for an old cocker is steep if you ask me. Depending on the pneumatics. The stock / original pneumatics on the pre-93 guns were horrid. They took a lot of work to keep working, blew hoses often, etc. These are extrememly hard to find (i was lucky enough to get another one), but only appreciated by few.

If you actually plan on using the gun, she'll need a whole new front block. Seriously. If it's completely stock though... it IS a good find. They're hard to find. Especially in good condition. Most of the guns were hacked at (back blocks, shrouds cut away to get that the reg) etc... This looks to be in good condition. Better then mine, only because I had a ball detente put in around 1998... Actually I didn't ask for it, the guy putting the new front block on, put it in. grrrr...

Painthappy

Webmaster
02-10-2003, 12:33 PM
$275 aint bad - for collecting purposes. When ever someone shoots a price out -usually thats not thier lowest price - offer $225 see where it gets you.

If you plan to play with it - good luck. Those things need so many new holes drilled and tapped in it to make them "97" specs. And the pneumatics would be replaced blah blah blah. yes they needed ALOT of work back then to get them to where they are now.

Good luck with it. We want to see pics.

Where to find old stuff? Ebay and forums like here, PPIG, Tinkers Guild, and PBNation.

Badabing
02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Is it just me or are those the stock classic grips on that cocker????:confused:

davidb
02-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Yes, they are. Notice that the frame is also very similar to a stock classic frame. Once upon a time they used to be nearly identical.

02-12-2003, 08:52 PM
i thought AGD bought the frames from WGP back then because they could not afford to make their own.

Muzikman
02-12-2003, 08:57 PM
So identical that the original AGD frames where made by WGP;)

davidb
02-12-2003, 09:05 PM
I was almost sure it was something like that... But like it says in the sig, I don't post if I ain't sure. ;)

cheetah256
02-12-2003, 09:29 PM
hm...i was thinking about getting this gun a while ago...doesn't appear to be the same gun...lemme see if i still have pics..

*edit*
i think they're on my old hard drive, which is sitting next to me. anyway. when i was offered it, the gun looked like nickel polish that had been attempted to strip off...