PDA

View Full Version : Air America Fred Schultz system info

swamprat33
02-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I have just got an old Air America Fred Schultz 3000 psi system retested and have played a few games with it. Massive improvement over Co2.

Just wonderin if any one else still uses a Fred Schultz and if so do they have a manual or any info on it?

Swamprat

AGD
02-11-2003, 06:43 PM
You have a collectible piece of early Paintball Americana. There never was a manual. You should sell it on ebay.

AGD

swamprat33
02-11-2003, 06:53 PM
It works great. I am running my Mag with LX at 650psi with a retested 1.1 SCI fibre wrap tank, with no shootdown at all. I put 600 rounds through it on Saturday without a single break. I reakon I could get about 1000 shots from this tank.

It works great, why would I want to sell it?????

hitech
02-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by swamprat33
I have just got an old Air America Fred Schultz...

I'm just curious, does anyone know who Fred Schultz is? Other than you Tom.

Also, did you purchase it because or in spite of ;) his name being on it?

swamprat33
02-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Actually, I came across it by accident. A friend found some old paintball gear in his loft when he moved to a new house. I bought the lot!!
I got 2 level 7 Mags with the Fred Schultz reg and bottle a Phantom pump, loads of hoppers, Co2 bottles, pods and clothing.
I have sold the Phantom and the older Mag and kept the best mag and the Fred Schultz.

I have been told by Air America that it is a good reg, but have found no info about it.

Swamprat

Creative Mayhem
02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
SCORE!!

Nice... you got pics?

C Mayhem

MarkM
02-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by hitech

I'm just curious, does anyone know who Fred Schultz is? Other than you Tom.

Also, did you purchase it because or in spite of ;) his name being on it?

Captain of Constant Pursuit if I recall correctly (I must be old ;) ) I have one of the systems too and the cradle...don't use it anymore but I never seem to sell any of my old kit phantoms, sterlings, mags, cockers and shockers :confused: :D :D

Not a clear pic and the cradle mentioned is in a draw somewhere ;)

joeyjoe367
02-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Whoaa.... funky.. that guy's cocker has a powerfeed, I think.

Is the fred-shultz n2 system like the n2 system Tom was using on that auto-response trigger scenerio paintball video? I thought it was funny how tom wore that tank like a scuba :)

rpm07
02-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Here is a pic of mine. It is a 114ci 3000 psi, I bought it new in 1995 and I love it. it has 3 hydro tests on it and never let me down.
Sad to say I just bought a emag so its time for a new 4500 flatline.

Creative Mayhem
02-11-2003, 08:46 PM
WOW that looks just like my AA Raptor 3000. I got it back in '93.

hitech
02-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MarkM
Captain of Constant Pursuit if I recall correctly (I must be old ;) )...

Yes he was, and yes you are! ;) I played on Constant Pursuit with Fred. I'm just surprised when anyone knows who he is. I know Bob Long made a name for himself, but I didn't think that Fred ever did.

wolverine85929
02-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Yes i have one and still use it also. I down loaded a manual from the air america site. It did not come with a manual brand new in 1992.

MarkM
02-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
Whoaa.... funky.. that guy's cocker has a powerfeed, I think.

Yes it is a powerfeed but a bolt on part made by Armson, I never actually used the on/off feature, it was done 'cos at the time there weren't vertical feed cockers around plus I never had any feed issues 'cos of the amount of balls in the stack.

Yes he was, and yes you are! ;) Cruel man, you agreed way too quick :D

Slim7
02-11-2003, 10:54 PM
I remember 'ole Mr. Fred, there was a video that he starred in, the video came with my first tigershark. I used to watch that thing all the time! I'm 15 now and I can't remember when i got that old thing.

Muzikman
02-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Fred made a name for himself, but seems to have disapeared from the paintball scene over the past few years. I have met and played with Fred before and he is a great guy.

As to why you should sell it...so a collector like me can buy it;) I'd buy it in a heartbeat...also, remember, you probably only got about 4 years left in that tank.

Richter
02-11-2003, 11:17 PM
here are some pics of fred shultz #12
i don't have the original crappy cradle because it was traded in at one of the Chicago nppls way back when...
http://omahapaintball.com/images/regpics/fredshltz12_sm.jpg
here is the newer cradle...
http://omahapaintball.com/images/regpics/fredshltzcradle_sm.jpg
here is the reg notice the old burst disc/bolt thingy
http://omahapaintball.com/images/regpics/reg_sm.jpg
here is old ghetto in her new glory swing trigger
http://omahapaintball.com/images/regpics/oldghetto_sm.jpg
i still preach the goodness of air america products; i should get a dealers license and sell the stuff around here.

Richter
02-11-2003, 11:34 PM
if your looking for info it is just a tank mounted raptor tank form air america; it was the first name signature series paintball equipment.

if you go to Air America's website (http://airamerica.com) they will have inforamtion on the system. just look for the raptor air system manual.

As for who is Fred Shultz... he was the celebrity on the pro team Constant Pursuit back in the early nineties but then somehow Fred became more of a master of cerimonies in the paintball community.

Mind you this was back in the days when Dave Youngblood was shooting a nickel plate carter cocker and/or VM68. (This was before DYE barrels)the days when people used CO2 and the expansion chamber costed over 100 dollars... ah the whisper death expansion chamber....
If you can find any of the old ESPN games Fred is one of the guys that does some of the comentary. ( i remember him shooting the tippmann FA for demonstration) He also was the guy that hosted a paintball challenge for MTV's show "Road Rules"

joeyjoe367
02-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Wow the regulator for those tanks look like the back halves of 'mag valves. :)

Richter
02-11-2003, 11:44 PM
yep it s the same thing as the back half of the automag classic valve

swamprat33
02-12-2003, 02:53 AM
I will post some pix tonight.

I believe the tank has an origional 1996 hydro date on it.
It has been in store for some time and I have just got it retested in 2003.

Muzikman
02-12-2003, 03:45 PM
That means the tank was probably new in '93. Tanks have a 15 year life. After 15 years the tank can not be used and "should not" even pass hydro testing. So if was was new in '93 then come 2008 you have to trash the tank. You could have the reg put on a new tank at that time, but I would suggest not bothering;)

vf-xx
02-12-2003, 04:59 PM
well since everybody here seems so interested I have a 68 3k Fred Shultz tank that I'd be willing to part with. If you're interested pm me.

ReTroMagBoy
02-14-2003, 05:30 PM
hahhaa man sooo many of you guys havent been playing paintball long enough...

i think i still got my old 1-888-PAINTBALL catalog showing the debut of this nitro system...

btw, they might be "rare" these days but they are hardly a collectors item!! ;)

swamprat33
02-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Here is a pic of Fred on My LX Mag # CF11390. The Barrel is a 10" Dye Stainless and the Gas through is a Custom Products.

swamprat33
02-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Sorry, here is the piccy...

swamprat33
02-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Sorry, here is the piccy...

MarkM
02-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ReTroMagBoy
hahhaa man sooo many of you guys havent been playing paintball long enough...

i think i still got my old 1-888-PAINTBALL catalog showing the debut of this nitro system...

btw, they might be "rare" these days but they are hardly a collectors item!! ;)

Hey some people collect the strangest things, 'cos they want to...don't burst their bubble. If the right offer was made mine could be sold too, but then as I don't use it anymore, plus it would be a first for me to actually sell something to do with paintball, have sold a couple of masks but that don't count :D :D

PS Swamp try clicking the attach box then we can see your pic ;)

swamprat33
02-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I was trying to attach file, but got errors. I will try once more...

swamprat33
02-15-2003, 01:24 PM
I hope this will be the other pic....

automagben
03-25-2003, 11:51 PM
i have a brass eagle video that fred hosted, and i am willing to sell it or trade it for something if anyone is interested in it... maybe this is a collectors item? hmm....

Doc Nickel
03-26-2003, 02:44 AM
Actually, Swamprat, technically yours isn't a "Fred Schultz" system. It's a much more rare- as far as I know, UK only- removable-tank Air America system.

I forget the details, but as I recall, the UK had some odd rules about HPA systems way back then, and one of the workarounds was to redesign the system to take the removable tanks (like a Max Flow.)

Internally it's identical, but the back half is female-threaded for the tank, rather than male-thread to attach to the bottle directly.

I looked around for one for quite a while back then, but they were impossible to find.

There was another old UK air system back then as I recall- was it an early Govnair? The tank was just a tank, and hooked to a seperate regulator via a high-pressure airline. That was another I wanted just for the novelty of it, but somebody told me they were horridly inconsistent and troubleprone.

Doc.

P4ULuk
03-26-2003, 06:06 AM
lol I used to have one of those regs/cradles gave it away with the RT I sold.

Paul
:)

MarkM
03-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Doc Nickel

There was another old UK air system back then as I recall- was it an early Govnair? The tank was just a tank, and hooked to a seperate regulator via a high-pressure airline. That was another I wanted just for the novelty of it, but somebody told me they were horridly inconsistent and troubleprone.

Doc.

No its not the Govnair you are thinking about the Daystate system...I know of a couple lying about.

Doc Nickel
03-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Daystate, that's it. Only saw a couple of photos in the first few US issues of PGI back in '96.

If you can dig one up and 'donate' it to a worthy cause, I'd like to check it out, if just for the novelty of a first-gen HPA system.

Doc.

MarkM
03-26-2003, 04:35 PM
I'll make a few calls and get back to you, they actually were very very consistant, their problem stemmed from the weight of all of the components, all stainless steel and the bottle it came with was an ally tank with a minature scuba valve in it, all very robust but heavy. If I can get hold of the person I am thinking of they will have the entire kit.

MarkM
04-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Doc, rang the guy and yes he is willing to "donate" as long as the $ conversion is fair...let me know ;)