PDA

View Full Version : Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:07 PM
AO History Buffs,

The name Fred Schultz came up in another thread. A guy bought a HPA tank that was a Fred Shultz signature series regulator. No one knows who Fred is any more and since he was a great friend of mine I think that is sad.

Fred Schultz was a HUGE personality in paintball. He was MC for the Amateur Open many years in a row. His on stage presence was legendary, either you loved him or hated him but EVERYONE knew who he was. He was captain of Constant Pursuit a winning pro team in its day. He was on the cover of APG more times than anyone else. He was paid by Brass Eagle to do their paintball video. Women he didn’t know propositioned him at tourneys.

He had enough pull to get a paintball game into Disney World. I don't mean out behind the fence, I mean in MAIN STREET USA where they filmed us shooting each other. The ends of the streets were netted off and the Disney public watched it go down. If you go there today you might still see where we blew the corners off the foam buildings. This whole thing was setup for a paintball video, one of the first professionally done. Freds motto was "play fair and play clean" not something you would ever hear from a pro player today.

Fields begged Fred to come and general at their big games. He had LOTS of sponsors including us, Vents, Zap, Brass Eagle and Adidas Fred had two dreams, be an actor in Hollywood and make money in paintball. Sadly neither came true and in the late 90’s he faded from view. No one has heard from him in years and sadly now his name is forgotten by all except the few of us still around.

Fred wanted nothing more than to be able to make a living in the sport he loved so much. For those of you thinking about spending the rest of your lives in the paintball industry take heed.

And now a few pictures in fond memory of a good friend.

AGD

In the picture below Fred is with a kid that had was dying from an incurable disease. He loved paintball so Fred got all his sponsors to supply him with equipment.

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Fred at our AGD party

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Fred and his lovely wife on the right (thats someone elses wife on the left)

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:10 PM
MCing the Am Open

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:11 PM
Fred and I live on the air in a radio station in St Louis.

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:12 PM
New York Street IN Disney World

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Our team in Disney World, can you spot Bill Gardner and what gun he is using?

Peach
02-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Aww... Where did Fred go... :( Looks like a great guy.

Hey, I got the first post behind Tom.

This means one of two things....
1) My AO social statis its rising to an alltime high
OR
2) I'm a looser with no life who checked the forum a few to many times today.

Another edit: Now it's a classic, I'm a cool kid now.

PsychoBaller
02-11-2003, 11:15 PM
heheh...... looks like ur making an album.... do'op song or something... heh.

~da baller

Blennidae
02-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm old enough to remember he was a big name back in the day. I'm pretty sure I had been at an event or 2 where he was present.

Tom, you never really said what happened to him. The statement "And now a few pictures in fond memory of a good friend" makes it sound like he has passed away. Did he?

AGD
02-11-2003, 11:25 PM
He did not pass away he just completely dropped out of sight. No one has a phone number for him any more and he doesn't contact anyone.

AGD

Load SM5
02-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Actually, my first N2 tank was a Fred Shultz tank. I contacted AA to get a little history behind it. Had I known then I never would've gotten rid of it.

FooTemps
02-11-2003, 11:30 PM
I think that AO should do some research... maybe get him on the forums? I don't think he'd mind if he talked to an old buddy and a few of his lackies...

(if we find him... maybe he might mc another later and even more mega, megameet)

Python14
02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
DUDE! I recognize him. I remember him from when I first started reading APG so many years ago. I knew I recognized the name somehow. That's sad that someone can just be almost erased from a crown. I guess it's the nature of the beast. So no one knows where he is now?

BTW, Mr. Kaye, Is that a tigerstripe sport coat? I love it.

joeyjoe367
02-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Eeeww... spandex. Cool paintball history tho :)

WARPED1
02-11-2003, 11:40 PM
I remember Fred..............back in the day.

ES13Raven
02-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Fred and his lovely wife on the right (thats someone elses wife on the left) And just where is her hand???

Someone elses wife? hmmm.....

I remember Fred very well. He was the voice of paintball for a long time. I hope he is doing well. :)

Richter
02-11-2003, 11:56 PM
i put up what i remember of Fred Shultz in the Fred Shultz air system thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67983)

I never met the guy but do remember some stuff about him :)

Josh2Xtremes
02-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Don't worry Tom I remember Fred very well too. All those years at the AM Open AND at Main Street. I had a Fred Schultz system too! I wish we DID know where Fred is now. Ha...remember him from that Brass Eagle video?

And Tom, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the guy gesturing to you and Billy Gardner my very good friend and one-time boss Rene Boucher of Paintball News? :D

Josh

Curly
02-12-2003, 12:35 AM
From the first picture it looks like he is at Mare Island paintball which used to be one of the big fields here in the bay area. Is it possible that he used to live in the bay area or was that just a picture from an event?

Shane-O-Mac
02-12-2003, 12:36 AM
cool pic! i never met fred personally, but i have heard many stories. i have seen the beagle video and others he was in, he was a bit of a ham, but like tom said, you gotta love him or you just dont like him. also, several other people in the picture. far left, dan colby-Air America, the red hat,bushy mustached guy on the right kinda in the back, tim schloss-pursuit products, he made the original tiger stripe and he made the tiger stripe tuxs that fred and others had. and it does look like rene' talking to tom. hey tom, what ever happened to the footage that was shot that day? was it in some video or what? and dig that weird air system back back set-up!
Shane-O

skirts
02-12-2003, 12:40 AM
HAHA
i remember playing with fred at a paintball sams big game about 4-5 years ago. he was playing with a blue rainmaker when they were the newest thing.

that guy was sponsered by everyone... i call him the "paintball figurehead"

usually ended up playing in the back.

thanks for the history tommy... you have dated yourself again.

skirts

Curly
02-12-2003, 12:41 AM
I just looked at www.whitepages.com and found a couple of Fred and Alred Schultzs in the bay area. I am sure that none of them are likely to be the same guy but this sounds like a very interesting man and it would be nice to see him found.

datapimp69
02-12-2003, 12:45 AM
tom,

i was on webdogradio and they had a clip of fred playing old school with a mag ( and a very long barrel).

check it out

Tyger
02-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Dang it, Datapimp! You beat me to it! :)

Thing is that I heard he had some kind of an injjury, something about a neck joint or something? Actually, Freddy was a great guy for paintball. Sure, he was sponsored by everyone and their uncle joe, but he also had the passion. He also took time to talk to EVERYONE.

And I can reassure you that he led from the front. A lot. At one big game, I got a good crawl down and got behind a flag station only to find Fred and a flag runner attacking it from the front. We got it, it was cool. He led from the front, trust me.

Many meomries of Fred, miss that guy. Actually, we could use a few more of 'em in the sport.

-Tyger

DiRTyBuNNy
02-12-2003, 01:31 AM
This is so weird, I was at a party on Saturday night for hte Paintball Expo, and I was talking to Chris Iaquintas, a freelance writer for FaceFull and Splat Magazine about doing a where are they now with Fred Schultz..

Creative Mayhem
02-12-2003, 04:27 AM
Fred was awsome in his day. I had a ton of APG mags from that era, maybe i'll have to didg them up and take a look again. Fred came up here to Canada for an event called beach blitz, un fortuanely i couldnt make it that day, but I was there the next day and Youngblood was there. I would have rather met Fred than Dave.

Im off to dig up the old APG Mags... if I find any good pics.. I'll scan them in and post them.

C Mayhem

bunkerhugger
02-12-2003, 07:31 AM
You forgot how uncoordinated the guy looked on the field. Maybe all the ribbing from other players finally drove him off.

lopxtc
02-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Tom --

Were those the suits designed by Tim Schloss (Spelling?) from "The Pro Shop" out of Saint Louis? I remember seeing a picture of Tim in one of those tuxs shortly after that event.

This would have been around 92-93 I think ... I remember the radio show. I also remember playing against Pursuit at "The Paintball Zone" and getting walked over completely. Though I have to admit that Fred was cool about it. He walked over to us after the game and was saying that we had put up some stiff competion during that game. Mind you this was speedball and it was us with pumps (I think one semi maybe) and them with all semis LOL ... can we say kill zone ...

Aaron

Hexis
02-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Fred used to show up at Paintball Sams's big games. I remember playing with him a few times. Great guy. It was very nice to have a leader that the random 200 people would listen to. I miss his involvement.

And that purple mag was great.

Cort95
02-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the post AGD. Fred Schultz did an interview in APG sometime in 93 i think, just as I was getting into the sport. I was very impressed with the things he had to say, and I have wondered many times why we don't hear from him anymore. It seems he mentioned his daughter was disabled, I can't remember the details. I hope things are going well for him, I think I still have his Brass Eagle video floating around here somewhere.

RobAGD
02-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Ok kiddies here is some history for you :) From left to right To cute Spandex Wearing team is :

Dan Colby (Air Amercia ), Jim ( Paintball News I cant remember his last name), Guy with head down I cant tell, Rene Boucher ( Paintball News ), Tom (with his N2 Back Pack ), Billy Gardner (AA's shot mags for years)

Guy in red hat I am unsure of.

-Robert

Originally posted by AGD
Our team in Disney World, can you spot Bill Gardner and what gun he is using?

Blake_sw
02-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Fred looks like Christopher Walken.

beam
02-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Man, it sure would be nice if we could get him back into the sport. ;)

Shane-O-Mac
02-12-2003, 12:14 PM
guy in red hat= Tim Schloss, pursuit products. yes he did own the pro shop in st.louis. read my post above!
Shane-O

skipdogg
02-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah, Fred is way old school. I never met him personally but definately knew who he was. What's up with the dropping out of site thing? I think we (AO,AGD) could find him if we really tried.

cledford
02-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Um, just a guess but maybe he doesn't want to be found?!?!? People might consider repecting his privacy.

On the other hand maybe he could come back and help straighten out the mess that Pro paintball today has evolved into. Then maybe he could actually make money through paintball as aTom suggested had been his dream.

-Calvin

hitech
02-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Tom,
I will see if I can get a hold of him. I am going to take prints of those pictures with me to the field on Saturday. Those of us (including the owner of the field) who played with him on Constant Pursuit will get a big kick out of them. If I can get a hold of him I'll see if he wants everyone to know what he is up to. I'll tell him you asked about him.

BTW, I had always thought of Fred as someone who "tooted his own horn". I'm going to have to rethink that as he never mentioned most of that. I didn't realize he had done any of that. I do remember when we took up a collection for the Red Cross for the Earth Quake Relief fund for the '89 earth quake at the Masters in "Nashville". Myself and a team mate tried to get donations but were coming up empty. We got Fred to come with us (we played with him on Constant Pursuit) and he made the difference. We even got a short article in APG about our efforts. And then we got robbed of first in the finals, but that's another story. ;)

Gadget
02-12-2003, 02:21 PM
I still use a Fred Schultz signature edition Air America system - basically a standard AA Unireg fitted to a bottle with a very well designed cradle to hang it off the bottom of the grip. It works as well now as it did when I got it (93/94?).

WARPED1
02-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Speaking of paintball gods of the past,where's Jessica Sparks been?She still around?She should be,her,Bud,Ray Gong proved pb was safe and got it legalised in New Jersey.

Jack & Coke
02-12-2003, 03:02 PM
http://www.accessorl.net/barnstorm/pbcov.gif

http://www.accessorl.net/barnstorm/various1.gif

http://www.boonie-boys.com/pic6.jpg

http://www.boonie-boys.com/pic7.jpg

http://www.eliteguns.com/book_video/video_tn/WnPntbl.jpg

The Basics of Paintball With Fred Schultz (http://www.accessorl.net/barnstorm/paintball.htm)

Fred Schultz vs. The Tank (http://www.armoredfistpaintball.com/fred_schultz_vs.htm)

Review: Paintball Basics with Fred Schultz (http://www.paintballtimes.com/video/fred.htm)

theraidenproject
02-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by WARPED1
Speaking of paintball gods of the past,where's Jessica Sparks been?She still around?She should be,her,Bud,Ray Gong proved pb was safe and got it legalised in New Jersey.
I've met Ray Gong a few times, although very briefly. He owns Top Gun, my favroite field, and I see him there whenever I go. Seems lieke a cool guy, and I owe him a great debt for legalizing paintball i nNJ. The story is here (http://topgunpaintball.com/History_of_Paintball.html)

lopxtc
02-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Ive played against her several times here in the Saint Louis area ... last year she was shooting a really nice pink Orracle ... not sure if she still has it or not.

Talk to Shane, that group almost religiouslu hangs out at Xtreme ...

Aaron

hitech
02-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lopxtc
Ive played against her several times...

She filled in on our team at a tournament once. That was the time I went to a tournament for my honeymoon! ;)

She was a very nice lady and I enjoyed talking paintball with her.

Bartman
02-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I can remember the first time I meet him, like it was yesturday.

We and I see We, meaning me and mister44 where playing hte first Skyball, I think it was 1999, my first tourney with Mister44 and my first ever.

We ended up playing Stock class in the semi tourney. About half way through the first day, we ran into Fred, actuly Kennedy Howe introduced us. Fred was like wow, you guys really are here to have fun and play paintball. Fred asked , hey guys can I do anything for you? Mister44 and I piped up, you we would love to meet bob Long and Budd Orr. With out heistation, he draged us all over the skydome looking for these to people.

We found Bob Long first, all I had to say is, wow, and he took the time to talk to us, yet another great man in this industry.

After that Fred and Bob took us all over the rest of the skydome till they found Budd, and introsuced us.

All in all meeting fred had to be one of the high lights of me ever playing paintball.

Later that day I got to watch constant pursuit play(Freds team) the rocked another pro team, and Fred came down the right tape line, triple taped the 2 back players and apoloized to them for over shooting them.

I all Have to say is Fred where are you, paintball could really use you again, if not as a spocks person, but maybe as a liveing Icon of what paintball should be.

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, but then name alone brings me back to a happy point in the paintball playing world for me.

Bartman
Team I have No Idea
www.ihni.org
AKA Tech

irbodden
02-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by RobAGD
Ok kiddies here is some history for you :) From left to right To cute Spandex Wearing team is :

Dan Colby (Air Amercia ), Jim ( Paintball News I cant remember his last name), Guy with head down I cant tell, Rene Boucher ( Paintball News ), Tom (with his N2 Back Pack ), Billy Gardner (AA's shot mags for years)

Just so ya guys know Dan Colby owns Paintball Blitz in Gurnee Illinois (Also AA) and is there on Saturday and Sundays.

Really nice guy...

personman
02-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Hmm.. Fred DOES look like Christopher Walken.. hmm..

SeeK
02-12-2003, 11:06 PM
I remember playing with both Fred Shultz and Kennedy How at PB Sams and Fox River Games. If I remember correctly he became a grandfather and then the daughter got into some accident. He really was Mr. Paintball - the Ambassidor and was a leader from the front at the big games.

Bartman, I really wish I could have made that first TIP team at Skyball. I keep hearing how you guys beat that semi team with pumps from Tyger.

I know Kennedy How #2 :D

Shane-O-Mac
02-12-2003, 11:45 PM
yes Jessica Sparks is around! she is the editor of paintball magazine. and her partner Dan Reeves is editor of apg. so they are both heavily involved in paintball. she and dan has played several tourneys with us (Total Greif) and she is very active in helping keep paintball legal. jessica, dan, and several teammates went to michigan or wisconsion? to help keep a ban from happening, just last year. actually she played with us at the last wpf st.louis open when we won the am division. she is a very good player, and a superb stockgun player.
Shane-O

Schnitzel
02-13-2003, 12:43 AM
anybody ever seen the Goggleflauge package? i swear that the guy that demo's the product looks exacly like Schultz in Jack&Coke's second pic.

graycie
02-13-2003, 01:59 PM
i came into paintball too late in the fred schultz era. but i do remember that one of my old teammates' telling me that his first high end marker was a fred schultz mag, most likely he sold it ages ago. maybe some others will remember this, about a year or two ago i forget which magazine did a story on the pioneers of paintball and there was a picture of fred schultz in it with the caption of "where is he now". in the picture he looked more aged and with grayish hair. anyone know what i'm talking about?

billmi
02-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Speaking of paintball gods of the past,where's Jessica Sparks been?She still around?

She's at home in MO with her husband Dan. Dan is the editor of APG, and she is the editor of Paintball Magazine. Both of them work on both magazines, and that alone keeps them very busy.

She should be,her,Bud,Ray Gong proved pb was safe and got it legalised in New Jersey.

I saw Ray Gong in California last weekend.

As for Fred "Mr. Paintball" Shultz... My first impression of him was the "slick self important Hollywood type" with his slicked back hair, black shirts shoes and pants. It wasn't a positive first impression for me. Then, I got to know him a bit better, and saw all the things he was doing. Yes, he did self-promote a lot, but he did a lot more than that to promote the sport of paintball. The self-promotion was just a means to get himself in the right position to make things happen, not a big self-importance thing. When I looked at things like the show produced at the Disney MGM theme park, and a number of other projects including lining up and hosting the paintball challenge on the first season of MTV's Road Rules, I could see he'd done a lot - not just talked about it. Last time I talked to Fred was in the late 90s, and he was still bouncing back and forth between California and Florida working in the production side of the motion picture industry. I hope all is well with him, he's one of the good guys.

As for the camo jackets - yep, those were a Tim Schloss product.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Skeeter
02-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Fred was a fun guy to be around... I saw him several times at the IAO, or the "Zap" IAO when I was there last. I ended up playing next to him a few times at a Paintball Sams "Toys-for-Tots" charity event back in '93 or '94. Fun guy to run with, even if he did look like Steve Perry (from Journey... for those not up on 1980's big hair rock bands.)

I still have a tape or two of him and Jerry Braun trying to provide commentary for the '95 or '96 World Cup. They had their hands full trying to cover the old-school woods games with limited cameras. Lots of "and behind that palm grass over there is..."

Mr. T!
02-14-2003, 12:25 AM
He was on the video i got with my tigershark. Kinda of neat video to watch, when i had no idea what paintball was.

Speaking of old players, remember Oh Pawlak or something? He had those unique adds in APG, with some babe. Used to play with the ironmen i think.

Where did Fred go? Is he still alive?

DiRTyBuNNy
02-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Well...on a little bit o' a tangent..what happened to Constant Pursuit? and would anyone get angry if someone got a team together under the banner of Constant Pursuit to carry the flag of tourney team whose members are also ambassadors for the game...

hitech
02-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy
Well...on a little bit o' a tangent..what happened to Constant Pursuit? And would anyone get angry if someone got a team together under the banner of Constant Pursuit to carry the flag of tourney team whose members are also ambassadors for the game...

Well, to put it simply, politics. When the team sizes were cut from 15 to 10 we started to fall apart. What five guys do you leave out? I was one of the ostracized five and not one bit happy about it. Fred had a VERY hard time dealing with it. He didn't like leaving anyone out, didn't handle it well and no one was happy (myself included). Also, Fred was interested in prompting, we players were interested in winning. It caused much friction. About half of the team left and started a new team (Tour De Force). Fred rebuilt the team with new players but it was never the same. Fred was more interested in prompting and most players want to win. Ironically, he would probably have a much easier time building the type of team he wanted now than he did then.

As far as using the name, I wouldn't suggest it. I wouldn't mind to much (as long as you included me ;) ), but Fred was attached to the name. I don't think there is anything anyone could do about it, but I do believe Fred would not like the idea. If I get a hold of him I will find out his thoughts on the matter.

Muzikman
02-14-2003, 02:04 PM
For anyone who ever caught them at 3am in the morning, Fred did the commentary for World Cup that was aired on ESPN. I can not remember who the other guy was with him, and that is going to bother me all day until I remember.

swamprat33
02-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi Tom, I am the guy who bought the Fred Shultz signature series regulator that you mention.

Many thanks for all the info from you and the other guys - I do feel priviliged to own a piece of paintball history.

Best wishes to Fred - wherever he is...

Here is a pic of my Fred on my LX Automag - #CF11931

swamprat33
02-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Here is another pic of my Mag with Fred....

TigerMan
02-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the bit of info Tom. I didn't come into paintball early enough to know who Fred was, and that's great to know there was someone like Fred in this sport. And I've been to that spot in Disney World numerous times, I never knew paintball was played there.

Skeeter
02-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
For anyone who ever caught them at 3am in the morning, Fred did the commentary for World Cup that was aired on ESPN. I can not remember who the other guy was with him, and that is going to bother me all day until I remember.

His name is Jerry Braun. He still carries a bit of "juice" in the tournament world. It comes from being executive editor (actually, owner, I think) of Paintball Sports Int., as well as owner of PSP, and he has something to do with that little thing called NPPL (the real one).

tony3
02-15-2003, 01:52 PM
i searched fred shultz on a yahoo people search

http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psPhoneSearch.py?srch=bas&D=1&FirstName=Fred+&LastName=Shultz&City=&State=&searchFor=Telephone&Search=Search

well who wants to start calling:D
also look at those masks, jsut goggles

rjvemt1
02-15-2003, 11:26 PM
in the early 90's i opened the first paintball field on the SF penninsula. it was a 34,000 square foot indoor field called 'hyperball'. it only lasted for about two years before the overhead killed us, but in that time the ironmen started playing there in the off-season(pre 'sc' or 'bob longs' ironmen). when my field shut down i went to work for a guy who owned a field in a place called 'american canyon' near vallejo calif. his name was art gonzales(anyone who knows fred schultz or bob long or mike from maire island pb should know art gonzales, think 'bay area open 1994'), he owned and ran a field called 'primetime paintball' it was on the same stretch of property as another field called 'carpet bobs' who he was once in partnership with, now carpet bobs field is called sherwood forest or somethin like that. anyway, i remember playing with fred, bob, and art at primetime in the early 90's. if you doubt this testimonial then look at the front of my hopper in the picture below, that is a mid-90's constant-pursuit patch. its the one with the skull and the two lighting bolts on the top. i"ll try to post a better pic of it as soon as possible.

ps. art closed his field when he was paralized while bicycling on a mountaintop highway(skyline blvd, san mateo)hwy 92. he and his wife gladys where mentors to a lost young man and excellant friends, unfortunatly i lost touch with them for a while. the last time i went back home i went to his house(san bruno)and was able to tell him how much he ment to me. he has since moved to san diego cal. i moved to texas and i have once again lost touch with them. heres to old friends!!

Mighty Mike
02-16-2003, 12:17 AM
I think if you played paintball before 1998, you would have known Fred Shultz. I bought his video on Basic Paintball in 95/96 and then stared to recognize his name in magazines and his face on ESPN when they covered paintball and he was commentating. My impression of him was that he loved the sport, wanted to make it mainstream, and that he was a great ambassadeur of the game. Tom is right when he says it's sad his name has been forgottened.

Fred Shultz kind of reminds me of the character of Moe Green from GodFather II. "Moe Green was the first to start building a city which is now known as Las Vegas, and there is no sign, plaque, or statue to honor his name." See the comparison??

hitech
02-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by rjvemt1
Now carpet bobs field is called sherwood forest or somethin like that.

Close, The guys involved with Mike run Sherwood forest, Bob's is Paintball Jungle. Otherwise everything else sounds accurate.

BTW, It appears that Fred really has dropped of the face of the earth. "Carpet" Bob hasn't heard from him in about two years. When he got out of a contract with Brass Eagle he wasn't "allowed" to do anything in paintball for two years. That was about two years ago.

I'll keep trying...

circus5
02-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Look what I found. Came with my first gun (stingray, but if you ask me in public i'll deny ever owning it) about 5 years ago.

billmi
02-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Mighty Mike
...and then stared to recognize his name in magazines and his face on ESPN when they covered paintball and he was commentating.

That just kicked up a forgotten memory...

1999 World Cup, I sat behind a table at the edge of a field with Fred doing event commentary for Traumahead. I never even saw that tape, but I've had people say to me "hey, you're that guy who was talking to Fred Shultz on that tape."

See you on the field,
-Bill

wimag
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
'94

rjvemt1
02-19-2003, 07:59 PM
check out freds sweet*** mullet!

SaS
02-19-2003, 11:25 PM
that was in Facefull... october 2k2
So much history for such a young sport

AGD
02-19-2003, 11:48 PM
And you know what Fred was telling me in that pic?

"Congradulations on winning the tourney Tom!"

Yep, my team took first, that was in Paris.

AGD

SaS
02-20-2003, 01:16 AM
very cool... I'm overwelmed in nastalgia(sp) and loving it

i saw that you were using a mini with a single trigger in another picture in the same article... looked like the same tourney... What was the name of your team there?

wimag
02-20-2003, 06:04 PM
pic SaS was refering to: nice loader

Mighty Mike
02-21-2003, 04:19 AM
I still use that loader!! It looks like the 100 round version but i have the 200 round loader. Bought it back in 94 and it hasn't let me down yet.

DiRTyBuNNy
02-21-2003, 07:49 PM
We should start an old school paintball pictures thread..

Danz
02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Hey.

I may be wrong but, I remember seeing an episode of ”MTVs Road Rules” (dont remember what season) where the cast played paintball as one of their missions. And I belive Fred Schultz was giving the orientation. Did anyone see that episode to confirm?

Danz

OOPs! A little back-tracking answered me question. No more posting after a 14 hr. day. Me eyes are failing me.

Danz

killerbombo
03-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Since this is a Mag site, besides his signature series air system, he also produced some items under O F G (Original Fred Gear) for Automags. Looked really nice even by todays standards. I can't remember all of them, but I still own one of the foregrips with a built in barrel plug. Anyone remember the other items (frame/stock?) Any old pic's....

rjvemt1
03-11-2003, 02:39 AM
I still use that loader!! It looks like the 100 round version but i have the 200 round loader. Bought it back in 94 and it hasn't let me down yet

me too! as a matter of fact all i have ever had to do to it is some soldering maintainence! i took that front cup off, put a round kitchen sponge in its place;)and put one of those neoprene covers on it and have been runin it for ten years! its the feeder in the pic below and thats the constant pursuit patch on the front!

automagben
03-25-2003, 11:59 PM
i have the brass eagle video hosted by fred..
I am willing to sell it or trade it .. it could be a collectors item?? hmm..

Pump Scout
06-11-2003, 08:03 PM
http://paintball.about.com/library/weekly/library/graphics/girls/096.gif

Long shot, but could this possibly be Fred now? I haven't seen him in a real long time...

splatmaster1
08-28-2003, 06:18 PM
So basically to sum it all up, Nobody on these boards have the slightest idea where the paintball icon fred schultz is?? Intresting...

rjvemt1
08-31-2003, 06:00 PM
hmmmmmm, smells like sm1 might know something

melster
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
One of the old AGD mags I just pulled out is a 1993 edition with Tom on the front with a mag.

The odd thing is that the steel braid hose from the CA adapter to the regulator is coiled. I guess that's what some people used to do before they got expansion chambers.

The other funny thing is that he's wearing just goggles with no face mask! I don't know if I'd condone encouraging people to play with just goggles. However, that's how people used to play back in the day I guess.

I even have a 1988 AGD where the gun packages came with shop goggles. OMG.

Beemer
11-25-2003, 01:50 PM
I was lucky and got to hang with Fred many times. He truly was an ambassador to the sport and is missed by many.Here is a pic of him on the cover of APG from 94

http://home.comcast.net/~ineedspeednow/FredAPGCover.jpg

dinger
12-07-2003, 03:31 AM
i swear i've seen him in a movie......

Evil1
12-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Fred should come back into the sport, it could use more people like him he is one of the reasons I got into paintball in the early 90s. I saw an old tape at my cousins house in 94 and it had him playing and talking on it. His enthusiasm and love of the sport got me interrested. He played w/ great honor w/ is becoming more of ararity these days. Maybe he just needed a little brek or ran into trouble in life. I think he will surface again though.

Dubstar112
12-17-2003, 09:06 PM
You know the scene in MIB II when the little locker people are saying "all hail J"

Hrm... well its a long shot but ugh...

"All hail Fred"
"All hail Fred"
"All hail Fred"
I tried.

Ill call the first 3 numbers on that list there... err.. ;)

Beemer
03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Ok Fred if you get this far you have to post..PLEASE

I might have contact, time will tell.

Old S.O.B.
03-03-2004, 09:30 AM
First of all the rest of those guys in the tights at New York Street in Disney World were Todd Nessle (head down) from Vents Goggles and Tim Schloss (red hat) from Tiger Stripe. The Tiger Stripe coat was not a sport coat, but a tuxedo, which Fred, Tim and Chip Kuhrt (Swarm) had custom made and wore that evening to the AGD party.

I was a judge at that 1994 Disney production which was the 1st major paintball event ever televised on ESPN2 and was the biggest rating for the entire weekend of any show they aired that weekend. Talk about a great guy, Fred paid for all of our expenses - both teams, all judges and families - back page stage passes for Disney World, air fares and private cottages on the lake at the Marriott. That's just the kind of guy he is.

Tom, you should post a photo of Freddy's team in their black leotards.

By the way, Fred is alive and well, living in Vallejo, California and I have a current phone and email...but, I'm sure you have those, already, Tom. I am going to try to get him to come to the spring Big Game at Paint Ball Sams in Racine, Wisconsin. He has family in the area and we usually covered his expenses, so he seldom has turned us down.

I think he still plays at fields in the California region, especially at Meir Island (SP?).

An interesting story: Fred got a knock on the door one day. His daughter answered and told her dad some guy named Joe was at the door. The guy wanted to try paintball and wanted to get a feel for the game from the best known player in the country. They still play on occasion together, as far as I know. As a good friend of mine, Fred knew my wife had a thing for Fred's new paintball friend and so, one day, Fred FedExed an autographed photo to my wife from Joe Montana.

Beemer
03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Any body else know who this OLD S.O.B is. Fred, Tim, Chip, old S.O.B.s we need a reunion.

Blennidae
03-03-2004, 11:07 AM
FYI:

Mare Island paintball has been out of business for a few years now.

Old S.O.B.
03-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Beemer,

You're not serious? You know who this is. The pictures you have posted came from my stash.

You want to get a reunion going, try to get the old AGD crew together - John Dale (former president of AGD) and people like Howdy Bolt (Jim McGuffog), Sparky, Wayne, etc.

Someone back a few pages asked about Jessica Sparks. She is still around. In fact I think she is still involved with APG Magazine's parent company. As a lawyer, she fought a lot of battles and testified as an expert witness for paintball in courts across the country. She can play, too!!!

Oh yeah, I missed one in the photo with the tights. The guy named Jim that someone was trying to remember the last name of is Jim Anderson. To save people going back and forth here are those folks in the picture: Dan Colby (Air America), Jim Anderson (NPPL), Todd Nessle (Vents Goggles), Rene Boucher (Paintball News), Tom Kaye (AGD back), Tim Schloss (Tiger Stripe) and Bill Gardner (Smart Parts).

And I did know Mare Island went out of the business, some time ago. By the way, Fred did a show "Real World" (I think) for MTV at Mare Island about 5 or 6 years ago, too.

Eatem Alive
03-03-2004, 12:11 PM
I remember scrimaging with CP out at Mare island and at Bob's. Fred always had a smile on his face and always looked like he was truly having fun. He was, and probably still is, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Always had something complimentary to say about your game. I played this weekend with Rick Wilcox (Dogs of War- Sacramento) and he had an old CP patch (red, blue, skull, lightning bolts) attached to the side of his gogs. Brought back memories...good ones. Fred would be good for the game again, especially with all of the youngsters coming up that need a good role model in the sport.

Beemer
03-03-2004, 12:41 PM
You're not serious? You know who this is

I know but I dont think any one else does. We are the last of the old School guys, a dying breed

impact301
06-28-2004, 01:55 PM
I have a Air Arm Fred Shultz tank... its way lighter than the new ones... works great.

richie
06-29-2004, 06:14 PM
I worked at MGM and now repair their landscaping equipment and never knew they netted it off and played paintball on New York Ave.That's cool! I have went through that area many a time.I still see that cab everyday and it looks a whole lot worse than that now.That area is changing a lot as they now have a huge stadium there that is for the new stunt show going in.They are also adding the San Fran. skyline and one other but I am not sure at the moment what it is.I wish they would do that again.That would be awesome playing in the stunt show city area.As for fred,I remember him.Never met him but read a lot of good things about him.He was a positive Icon on the sport.Can I get in on another game if you ever have one in the "streets? Please Tom.............. :D

Silverback
06-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Fred was the ORIGINAL and BEST Ambassador Paintball ever had. (Evidenced by the game at Disney's Main Street... Wasn't that 92-93?) I met Fred prior to the Dallas Open in 93. He was there for the tourny, and the team I was on, Texas Storm, invited him to dinner. He is a great guy, exceptionally friendly, and easy to converse with. His hair was longer than mine at the time and he kept it in a braided ponytail that went far down his back. ( And this was YEARS before Lasoya!)

The Tuxedo's were part of the MUFF's party wardrobe, and I have quite afew pictures of AGD, Fred, Bud Orr and Ross Alexander, all in the Tuxedos. But no one cut the form that Mr. Schultz did in those Tuxedos.

Someone mentioned, Fred's apparent uncoordinated playing style... Well he Captained Constant Pursuit to quite a Professional record back during the 15 man days, then continued on into 10 man, before turning to a more overall spokesman for the entire sport. So I think that would excuse an apparent lack, to some people, of coordination. Fred was just more interested in promoting Paintball, than stylin on the field.

HERE'S TO YA FRED.... :cheers: IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE EFFORTS OF YOU, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU, THIS SPORT WOULD HAVE DIED OUT LONG AGO. THANKS :hail:

Speaking of falling off the earth Tom, Has anyone heard from Ross Alexander? I haven't spoken to him since the midnight raid of Line SI.

DiRTyBuNNy
07-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I wish we could get Fred to come out to something like Shatnerball or the IAO for him to see that there are a lot of people out there that grew up reading about his exploits and that really respect all that he did for paintball. I'd personally love to shake his hand and buy him a beer. My first few years in paintball were spent with the days in between playing reading cover to cover magazines with articles by and about the man (and CP) and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

hitech
07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I know but I dont think any one else does. We are the last of the old School guys, a dying breed

I'm an old school guy, and I don't know who he is. Help an old guy out. The memory isn't what it use to be... ;)

Beemer
07-08-2004, 06:43 AM
I'm an old school guy, and I don't know who he is. Help an old guy out. The memory isn't what it use to be...

He would be the Biffster [Biff] original SOB like me.

So where is Fred. Called and left a very nice message on his daughters machine. Sent a e-mail and nothing.

I should know you to Hitech I just cant place it. I call it the beer effect. Now tell me you dont remember the SOBs. Didnt CP kick our butt?

I.A.D.S.P.B.P.
Beemer

hitech
07-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Yes, SOBs sound familiar, but I am TERRIBLE with names. That is what my paintball partner was for. ;) I played with CP in the late 80's and early 90's. I am best remembered as the crazy guy with the red shoes buddy. :D

BradAGD
07-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Here's a few pics of Fred from the 1994 Las Vegas NPPL.

http://www.paintballmaxx.com/pics/fs_1.jpg
http://www.paintballmaxx.com/pics/fs_2.jpg
http://www.paintballmaxx.com/pics/fs_3.jpg

We need to find him and see what's happening.

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
07-28-2004, 12:14 PM
I have that video and watch it to this day. Brings back memories of fun times. I still loan it out to people who have never played paintball and want to try it out. A big thanks goes out to Fred from me for instilling the passion that I have for the game in me, even though I never met him.

impact301
08-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Im selling my Fred Shulta signature series Air Arm is anyone is interested... if this voids some odd rule please dont hesitate to delete.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1556452#post1556452

slasherdan
08-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey ... I played with him at Sam's during the Big Game 2 last year ...

Texas Outlaw
03-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I played with Fred Schultz on Constant Pursuit. That was back when I lived in Vallejo. Great guy Fred was. Are there any other Constant Pursuit players around here?

hitech
03-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I played with Fred Schultz on Constant Pursuit. That was back when I lived in Vallejo. Great guy Fred was. Are there any other Constant Pursuit players around here?

Yup. I played on CP from about 88 to 91, or so. When where you around.

:cheers:

Texas Outlaw
03-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Yup. I played on CP from about 88 to 91, or so. When where you around.

I was around at about the same time. I was picked up when Fred started the second team, just before the Bay City Open. My name is Scott. I hung out with Kiko (Keith) and Mitch and Dunn. Don't know if you remember them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/texasoutlaw/Dcp_3546.jpg

Eatem Alive
03-06-2005, 04:13 PM
i used to play with kikko, billy payne, dan ringer and shawn. we used to scrim against cp, the ironmen and tour de force

Mike Smith
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
The PB Sams games were always a lot of fun when Fred was there, even if he did shoot me a time or two....

However, Fred wasn't the only one seen in the camo Tux.
Hollywood made an appearance at the Holy Grail Viper game two weeks ago.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mws52/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hollywood.jpg

Shives
03-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Last time I saw him, more than a few years ago, he said he was retiring. I assumed he was heading down to Florida, where in his words...

"Old people don't live in Florida, their parents do."

Shives

Mike Smith
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi Shives:

Yep, Hollywood's retired. He just does what he wants to now. I think he came over with Wayne Dollack for this game.

The "gate keeper" {Wayne} enjoyed asking players " How long was the first 24 hour game?"
:)

SeeK
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I miss the old days.

There should be an event for Old schoolers vs. new.

What should the cut off be for years of experience?

For the really old guys like Tom, Fred, Glen, and Bud we could get them electric golf carts or those scooters I see on TV. :D

peewee
03-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I only met Fred once. Totally blew my socks off with how nice he was, I was having trouble getting geared up between games at a tourney. I felt someone start straightening out my pack (it was all twisted) , I turned around & it was Fred!!!! I stood there pretty much in shock, at that point he was all over paintball. The real Ambassador of Paintball. He was all over the place. We spoke for a couple minutes. Seemed like a very sincere person. We had just been sponsored by AGD a few months prior. We were proudly flying the AGD banner in our area along with General Joe's & Scott's. Jessica is rumored to be playing in the stock class event at D-day. There are many of the old teams that I wish were still in the mix. The peps from dogs of war etc.

Mike Smith
03-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Talking about "old school" and "old guys"..........

For years, I've advocated the use of "golf carts". Golfers have caddies, why can't paintballers have "ball boys".

You know... someone to drive the cart, keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold. He could stay a respectfull distance away from you while you're playing and be ready to change out guns, give you more paint, or just tote you back to the staging area when you get hit. At the staging area, he could clean your goggles and gun, get you fresh jerseys or camos {depending on your preferences}, get your hot dogs and root beer, and keep you informed about when the next game/insertion is happening.

That would be worth a $20 tip, wouldn't it? :D ;) :cool:

Eatem Alive
03-09-2005, 10:06 AM
yes...yes it would.

hitech
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I was around at about the same time. I was picked up when Fred started the second team, just before the Bay City Open. My name is Scott. I hung out with Kiko (Keith) and Mitch and Dunn. Don't know if you remember them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/texasoutlaw/Dcp_3546.jpg

Hey, I still have that jacket! I'm trying to remember who you are, the name sounds familiar. I remember what Keith looked like (what was that Kiko stuff anyway? Always sounded odd to me.).

As for me, you'd probably remember by "swim buddy" better. He was the lunitic who wore the red cleats. Crazy John. I was the guy who's job it was to keep him in the game. ;)

hitech
03-09-2005, 11:34 AM
You know... someone to keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold.

That's what girl friends are for. Even better is when it's someone else's girl friend. ;)

SeeK
03-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Talking about "old school" and "old guys"..........

For years, I've advocated the use of "golf carts". Golfers have caddies, why can't paintballers have "ball boys".

You know... someone to drive the cart, keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold. He could stay a respectfull distance away from you while you're playing and be ready to change out guns, give you more paint, or just tote you back to the staging area when you get hit. At the staging area, he could clean your goggles and gun, get you fresh jerseys or camos {depending on your preferences}, get your hot dogs and root beer, and keep you informed about when the next game/insertion is happening.

"ball boys" would be a really bad P.I. term nowadays!

I've had this discussion with Tyger, Kennedy, and Shives so I think that was around when you first came up to Sam's. We were making fun of Shives collection so he would explain that each marker had it's place depending on the situation and style of play needed. Sort of like a paintball golf caddy. The older markers had a lot of variation in accuracy and ROF. The Armson barrel came in handy when you needed a trick shot and so on.

Mike Smith
03-10-2005, 06:18 AM
I've had this discussion with Tyger, Kennedy, and Shives so I think that was around when you first came up to Sam's.

Are you sure about that? I remember in 97 or 98 {back when I was still smoking} thinking about golf carts to get me to the white base at PB Sams. That was a long walk for a 240# smoker....

I do remember the idea came from my Sams experiences, so it is possible that y'all talked about it and I refined it... :D

I have yet to come up with a better term for ball caddies or ball boys, but I haven't put much thought into it. I can still get around OK for the next 10 years, so I have some time....

victor13
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I just came into possession of one of his signature series tanks. Kinda cool to stumble across this thread.

Old S.O.B.
08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I just came into possession of one of his signature series tanks. Kinda cool to stumble across this thread.

Now, if we could only stumble across Fred. Got to be 5 years since anybody heard from him.

shives007
09-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Last weekend I headed out to a field I hadn't visited in 2 years (had a bad experience the last time). As I'm signing in, I see a number of OLD Fred Schultz pictures on the wall. As I'm marveling at the time warp, I spot Tim Schloss, Mr. Tiger Stripe, working behind the pro-shop counter. I had thought Tim had dropped out of the industry years ago to race power boats or some-such. Turns out he ha done that, then bought a bar, and now owns this field. The die-hards jut can't leave the sport.

Naturally, we got to talking about the old days. He says he has talked to Fred as recently as a fe weeks ago. He apparently had a tractor accident some time ago, and was laid up for a while, but is doing well now. Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be.

Shives

Old S.O.B.
09-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Last weekend I headed out to a field I hadn't visited in 2 years (had a bad experience the last time). As I'm signing in, I see a number of OLD Fred Schultz pictures on the wall. As I'm marveling at the time warp, I spot Tim Schloss, Mr. Tiger Stripe, working behind the pro-shop counter. I had thought Tim had dropped out of the industry years ago to race power boats or some-such. Turns out he ha done that, then bought a bar, and now owns this field. The die-hards jut can't leave the sport.

Naturally, we got to talking about the old days. He says he has talked to Fred as recently as a fe weeks ago. He apparently had a tractor accident some time ago, and was laid up for a while, but is doing well now. Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be.

Shives

Well, that isn't going to help us track him down. But, seriously, great to know he is still around. Got a name for the field that Schloss owns or a phone number? Last time I saw Tim was a good 10 years ago at a Big Game in Missouri. In fact, Fred was there and Tom Kaye. Tim was a limited sponsor for the S.O.B.s for a couple years. Tiger Stripes was a big sponsor of Swarm for a few years, too, I believe.

Biff

Beemer
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be. Shives

What :eek: Get that number and PM it to me or Old S.O.B. At the least get Tims email and send him this link.

Well, that isn't going to help us track him down. But, seriously, great to know he is still around. Got a name for the field that Schloss owns or a phone number?

Ya roger that.

shives007
09-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Sorry about being a bit vague there guys. I didn't want the man swamped if he is staying out for a reason. I'll forward the info to Tim and let him give it to Fred. If he wants to be mobbed by his adoring fans, I'll let it be on his terms.

Shives

hitech
09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I've just been wondering what he was up to. We had lots of good times with Constant Pursuit. Remember that time in Oregon... :eek:

If you speak to time let him know I said hi.

Larry De La Briandais

shives007
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Tim has taken over Bushwackers (info@bushwackerspaintball.net) here in St. Louis. Based on the other weekend, he has certainly brought it back from where it was when I played there a couple of years ago.

Shives

Chronobreak
10-02-2007, 04:02 PM
shives forgot to mention the AO great known as chronobreak is also the new manager which likely had much to do with the fields turnaround.

we got big plans for the place and business has picked up to an all time high in the last month.

kinda OT but theres a bunch of old tapes of fred tim brought in im looking to have turned into dvd's and archived/uploaded online.

i think shives remembers more about fred from tim, but he did say something about just talking to him a few months earlier

shives007
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, I did neglect to mention that important detail. As great a guy as Tim may be, I think he probably needs someone to get in there and sweat the details. Fortunately, he has Chrono as a #2.

Shives

behemoth
10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I saw this, and thought of the thread:

Someone's selling one of Fred's Signature series tanks for relatively cheap:

http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/StockClassPaintball/index.php?showtopic=25604

pump
11-20-2007, 06:40 PM
He had enough pull to get a paintball game into Disney World. I don't mean out behind the fence, I mean in MAIN STREET USA where they filmed us shooting each other. The ends of the streets were netted off and the Disney public watched it go down. If you go there today you might still see where we blew the corners off the foam buildings. This whole thing was setup for a paintball video, one of the first professionally done.
here is that vid
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=894333112&channel=604385394

also wondering what did the FS mag have that was different from the others?
i love old custom mags....but in this forum...who doesnt

steve_81
06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Any word of Fred Schultz? After reading this thread it has got me interested in where the heck he is at.

Old S.O.B.
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Any word of Fred Schultz? After reading this thread it has got me interested in where the heck he is at.

As far as I know he is still at Orchard Ave., in Vallejo, CA 94581. But, I can't get a reply. Email me at GTOUSPL@aol.com and I will give you his contact info and you can give him a try.

Biff

shives007
06-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Biff,

Curtesy of "Mr. Tiger Stripe", I have a slightly different address for Freddie. Are you trying to call him? I think Tim talks to him occasionally.

Shives

Old S.O.B.
06-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Biff,

Curtesy of "Mr. Tiger Stripe", I have a slightly different address for Freddie. Are you trying to call him? I think Tim talks to him occasionally.

Shives

Hey Shives,

I was just out in that area - Manhattan Beach, L.A., San Clemente, San Diego and Coronado, after Mexico, Tucson and Phoenix. Got back Tuesday after 6 weeks of partying with a lot of old friends in a lot of places. I wish Tim would let the rest of the world know something about Fred. I stopped trying to find him, several years ago. The address I have was good back then. I suppose if I had tried to mail something and he had moved less than a year prior, I might have got a forwarding address from the post office.

Freddy knew how to take care of you. The tv incident that TK was talking about was July 4th weekend of 1994 and Fred's partner used to work with Disney. They flew about 20 of us out there and put us all up in private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to everywhere on the Disney lot and great seats for the fireworks that evening.

Then they closed New York Street to public access, moved a bunch of buses and cars from old movies out there. The teams wore bright colored uniforns and the judges wore the first black & white stripes in paintball. Tom's team played against Fred's team and some of us judged. ESPN 2 had the highest ratings for a weekend and suddenly paintball was on the map. There was so much potential for the game to become a sport back then.

But, the big fish in paintball wanted to stay big and kept paintball isolated and profitable for themselves. And today, the players still pay to play and, by design, big outside sponsors like Bud, Coke or the airlines, etc., get only minimal representation.

Greed killed this sport from ever reaching it's potential and so, by the late 90's you saw most of the old guard hang up their markers and migrate away, while the leaches and parasites stayed in the sport to suck the players dry. Tom sold AGD, Freddy disappeared from the face of the planet, Dave sold ViewLoader, Rose left Unique, Marty got squeezed out of Scott, Vents is gone because they put Scott and JT to shame, Budd walked away from WORR Games Products. Of course, there are good people still in it, today, like Tim, Glen Palmer, Rick at Morgan Awards, the guys at Paintball Mania Supplies, Dale Hilton, Dennis Ashley and others. I think Joe West may still be at J&J. But, paintball is over-run with users and cheaters who never saw the potential or who were afraid to take it to the next level. A selfish generation of takers, took over and everyone loses. If tv had taken off and spectators had been encouraged to come in, the big boys would have followed with money for everyone to advance and profit.

Ahh, but once again, I digress. Give me an email address and I will send you what I got. I am still at GTOUSPL@aol.com

Biff

Chronobreak
06-24-2008, 11:32 AM
il talk to Tim tommorow and see if i can get any update or possibly on a long shot get fred to head over here and give us one himself instead of us all harrasing him individualy.

\if you come to our field the first thing you see when you walk in is a large poster of Fred

shives007
06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Chrono,

Thanks for jumping in here.

Is the field OK? I got lots of pictures from Terry a while back and it looked like you'd need your air tanks to breathe more than to power your gun.

Shives

Chronobreak
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Chrono,

Thanks for jumping in here.

Is the field OK? I got lots of pictures from Terry a while back and it looked like you'd need your air tanks to breathe more than to power your gun.

Shives

Fields doing good, business is holding strong which is unusual for this time of the year, the summers usualy dead but well see how it holds out for the next 2 months.

im not following ya on the air tanks.

we have been making lots of maintenance and improvements finaly, but its never ending, once you get one thing done another problem comes up or something breaks.

shives007
06-24-2008, 01:02 PM
The pictures Terry sent me showed water everywhere. Tanks for SCUBA not for paintball. The weather has been pretty nice, when it isn't raining. Not too hot to play yet. Just wish I could find time to play.

Shives

Chronobreak
06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
oh, haha

dam hangovers

yeah it was flooded bad for a while but its all dry now and we got all the debris cleaned up

steve_81
06-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Sorry for my ignorance on this subject even though i started playing in 1996, but did Fred Schultz give a reason why he left? or did he just stop attending paintball events and go out that way? It just amazes me that someone who was such a part of the sport disappeared from the scene.

honestly the only Company i have faith in anymore (aside from AGD) is Tippmann. If anything happens to them as a company...im out.

I used to support WGP but they have proven over and over again that they are nothing more then just a name these days, with no customer service and defective crap products.

shives007
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I think Fred got hurt (not paintball related) and it gave him time to step back. I hate to speak for him, but that is what I see. I was loosely in w/ industry folks for a while. Having a kid has given me a bit of distance that I didn't have. I play for fun. Nothing more now. I do hope things come around in a few years before my son gets involved. At least there is a good group of locals (Total Grief rules!!)

Shives

kurtisqpublic
08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I think Fred got hurt (not paintball related) and it gave him time to step back. I hate to speak for him, but that is what I see. I was loosely in w/ industry folks for a while. Having a kid has given me a bit of distance that I didn't have. I play for fun. Nothing more now. I do hope things come around in a few years before my son gets involved. At least there is a good group of locals (Total Grief rules!!)

Shives

Total Grief are some good eggs. Only had one real run in with them playing on Paintball Daves Bezerkers back in the day. All nice folks. We did a big game in St Louis and made our paint ball film debut throwing Fred Schulz in the pond. Ahh the memories!
:clap:

Old S.O.B.
08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Total Grief are some good eggs. Only had one real run in with them playing on Paintball Daves Bezerkers back in the day. All nice folks. We did a big game in St Louis and made our paint ball film debut throwing Fred Schulz in the pond. Ahh the memories!
:clap:

That was a great day. Fred captained our team and we set up a great take down. Chip Kuhrt took his guys low and I took my guys over all the hills. When Chip heard us engage he would turn in and come up on their flank. We did 3 hills and were exhausted, so we waited. I had to control my guys from shooting and we laid very quietly - with our sights on the next hill. Along came the other team and we waited until they were standing all along the ridge like ducks. I told this one 10 year old kid that they guy in black was Dave Youngblood and I told the kid he would take the first shot on my signal. When their hill was like ants, I yelled out and the kid lit up Youngblood like a Christmas tree. We cleaned off that hill and Chips guys came up from the flank and got all the straglers. But Marty Busch from Ironmen had snuck down into the valley and he cleared a few of us off our hill, before 50 guys overwhelmed him.

The first award to get handed out was a brand new Automag to the kid that shot Youngblood. I have never seen a kid with a bigger smile. And then we all tossed Fred in the pond. lolol That was a fun weekend.

Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff

kurtisqpublic
08-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff

Pretty positive that it was owned by Tim Schloss back then. My mini-cocker was being less than "healthy" that weekend but it was still fun! That weekend was also where my affinity for the phantom pump began.

Chronobreak
08-22-2008, 04:26 PM
the old bushwackers field? i believe that was owned by Todd Albrecht who owned the current BW until Tim purchased the assets roughly 2 years ago now.

--anyone who lives in the area should stop by the field and say hi

www.bushwackerspaintball.net

DamianTC
12-07-2008, 03:06 AM
check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

<embed src='http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' flashVars='allowFullScreen=true&initVideoId=1113465176&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false' base='http://admin.brightcove.com' name='bcPlayer' width='486' height='412' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' seamlesstabbing='false' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' swLiveConnect='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash'></embed>

pump
12-07-2008, 03:36 AM
:clap: right on!
i guess the old link...is old

Old S.O.B.
12-07-2008, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=DamianTC]check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

Great video, DamienTC!!! That was the very first time Paintball was ever televised. Fred paid for everyone - both teams and the judges. And when I say paid, I mean for everything. We were all flown in from every part of the country to Orlando. We were all given private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to anywhere we wanted to go at Disney World. It was the 4th of July weekend in 1994 and we had front row seats to the fireworks show. Our meals were covered. Our transportation around Orlando was covered. We even had production assistants (PAs) to get us whatever we needed. And we got to perform on New York Street in Disney World on ESPN2.

The host, David Sparks was kind of a "look at me, but don't mess my hair" ham, but a nice enough guy. The actual video was closer to 45 minutes, not including commercials from the sponsors. There were 3 games played. The Corporate All Stars won the second game and then there was a playoff tie-breaker final which Fred's team won.

Fred's team - Constant Pursuit, including, among others, were Fred, Wolff, Randy Kamiya and Bart.

Corporate sponsors included, Tom Kaye from AGD, Jim Anderson from the NPPL, Todd Nessler from Vents, Tim Schloss of Tiger Stripes, Dennis Tippman of Tippman Pneumatics, Dan Colby of Air America and Rene Boucher of Paintball News.

The refs, among others, included Ed Lapanus #2 from Wild Geese of New England, Jerry Braun #1 from Paintball Sports, Chip Kuhrt from Swarm, and myself #3 from the S.O.B.s with the light blue AGD hat and yellow Vents.

We were there for 5 days, as I recall and it was an attempt to show what a huge potential paintball had.

FYI: This was the direction that myself and Steve Davidson wanted to see the sport head when we created the GTO and later the USPL. The hope was to see large corporate sponsors paying for everything, bleachers filled with spectators and a strong television presence, in order to make the sport affordable to the players. We developed a couple of patents to make that happen. But, we could not overcome the self interests of those who wanted to control the game for their own personal profit. Even our game format for TV was infringed upon. The X-Ball you see today, is actually a watered down version of the patented USPL format that was developed specifically around TV and debuted on Adrenaline TV in the fall of 2000 at Paintfest 2000. What happened to ViewLoader, Vents and others signaled things to come. And a lot of good people got out of paintball because they were tired of the politics. Today we see a once vital NPPL, filing for bankruptcy. I believe that had the industry been more focused on the overall future of the sport and the players, rather than their own bottom line, this sport would be thriving, in spite of this economy.

XM15
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I remember Fred was every where back in the early and mid 90's. You couldn't open a paintball magazine with out seeing him. He even had a signature series tank from air america. He was also the MC for the Amatuer Open players party for a few years. I think it was in 97 he just didn't show up to MC. He was there at the tournament but he was a no show for the players party and after that Fred just disappeared.

burscott
12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I recently came across my AA signature series tank, and wondered what happened to Fred.

I too started playing in the early 90's and as stated before he was in everything. HOpefully he will make a comeback. Even if it is just for a big game or charity event.

Old S.O.B.
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I recently came across my AA signature series tank, and wondered what happened to Fred.

I too started playing in the early 90's and as stated before he was in everything. HOpefully he will make a comeback. Even if it is just for a big game or charity event.

The problem is, we can't get a hold of him. I am sure that he still keeps in touch with a few out there. But, to completely go off the grid for 5 - 10 years does not seem to indicate that he is interested in a return, for any reason.

FYI: I wrote a number of stories about him or in which he was included, whether for Paintball News, Paintball Sports, Paint Check or some of the older magazines and I have a lot of old mags in a box. Maybe I can dig out some old covers over the holidays and post them.

I remember a Christmas edition around '95 or '96 that was done by a gal on our team, named Killer Red. She wanted to write and I introduced her to Fred at Nashville. I think I convinced Rene Boucher to let her submit the story to Paintball News and it was a great colorful piece that he did print over the following Christmas. I think Fred had just cut off his pony tail, which was braided and reached his calves. It was a trademark for him and cutting it off was a big deal.

I'll try to dig some of that stuff up, if anyone is interested.

burscott
01-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Hey guys,

I just put my Fred tank up for sale in the Air section:

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2597337#post2597337

I just wanted to post a heads up here if anyone has been looking for one.

Thanks,
Scott

Pump Scout
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I'd thought perhaps I'd gotten a line on Fred. The Fred Schultz in question even looks quite a bit like our Fred might these days, but an e-mail to him shot down the hope. So, for anyone looking for our Fred, the Fred Schultz connected with Priority Kids charity organization is NOT our guy. :)

Old S.O.B.
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
On my Facebook page, I have several photos of Fred, from articles that either I wrote or that he wrote for a variety of paintball newspapers and magazines in the early 90s. There is a history of the creation of the NPPL, GTO and the USPL - all the product of my partner, Steve Davidson's labor and talent. You can find all of this in one of my 9 photo albums - the album titled: Paintball. There is also a short video from PaintFest 2000. But, that is not related to Fred Schultz, although Steve is interviewed. That video, by the way, was the one produced by Adrenaline TV and aired on TV over Thanksgiving weekend, 2000.

Biff Thiele

HKG
10-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Just found this thread when I was looking for my old teammates in the web.

Where is Captain Fred nowadays? Did anyone manage to find him? Where are the rest of the old CP team of Pat, John, JD, Bart, Hawk (Kevin), Animal, Rich, Ed, Mich, Kim, Paris, Eric and Wolff? I already know where Larry, Carpet Bob and Art are.

We need to do a reunion, guys.

CP, Hong Kong.

RST
10-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Well, I did not find Fred, but I found these in the basement:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/schneipinger/4sale/fred.jpg

Ando
10-16-2012, 07:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE3ponTsQ4&feature=player_embedded

knownothingmags
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
found this:
http://68caliber.com/2010/04/06/how-come-bob-long-tom-cole-dave-bell-fred-schultz-and-others-are-on-68caliber-or-professional-paintball-player-cards/
but then again it doesnt do him justice.

google is amazing try it some time.

BTAutoMag
10-30-2012, 09:19 PM
look at all the mags :eek:

steve_81
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM
I see all of these posts but does anyone know why he did leave Paintball? I'm just curious.

shives007
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Are these actual barrels, or the slip on tubes I think J&J made?

Shives

Well, I did not find Fred, but I found these in the basement:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/schneipinger/4sale/fred.jpg

RST
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
These are the slip on tubes.
Sadly I did not have no more barrels that are long enough and fit these. :(

shives007
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
How long are they? I might be tempted.

Shives

These are the slip on tubes.
Sadly I did not have no more barrels that are long enough and fit these. :(

RST
11-09-2012, 05:26 AM
1 x 24,8 cm
1 x 29,9 cm

BTAutoMag
11-16-2012, 04:26 PM
He had enough pull to get a paintball game into Disney World. I don't mean out behind the fence, I mean in MAIN STREET USA where they filmed us shooting each other. The ends of the streets were netted off and the Disney public watched it go down. If you go there today you might still see where we blew the corners off the foam buildings.

holy crap its the disney battle :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE3ponTsQ4

TimmyJay
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/ddntim/DSC_0973_zpsdf0c4a43.jpg

brokeass_baller
07-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Fred Schultz is alive! Freddy the Ref was able to do an interview with him!

https://youtu.be/6WNuK0G8oeI

maniacmechanic
01-03-2021, 08:31 AM
And Fred is back !!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3344986215534558