PDA

View Full Version : BEst way to strip anno then polish to a shine?

Matt Crawford
02-14-2003, 05:36 PM
ok getting another emag soon so i wanna expirement with this one i have now..

I wanna strip all the black anno off then Polish it up.I dont wanna use Sand paper, dont look good and is way to long for a whole gun.

I got plenty of Mothers polish, but do i need to get a polisheing wheel for my bench grinder? Would that look good? cause i wnat a Mirror(or chrome look) nice and shiney not dull.

If not, how much can i get an emag Chrome plated?

TheDuelist
02-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Use oven cleaner to strip the anno. It works like a charm along with some fine steel wool. Use it in steps to work it off then use the mothers to polish the marker. A good buffing wheel on a bench grinder works really well also to polish.

Check out this link to a thread from a Matrix forum I visit every now and then.

http://aardvarkdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771&highlight=oven+cleaner

thecavemankevin
02-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Just use Drano crystals. It strips the anno right off. After that I used mother's mag polish to polish it to a high shine. There is a thread running around here started by p8ntballa.

Smokee_2_7
02-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Mothers mag is nice, but wont remove any small scratches.

One problem you are going to encounter is that the raw aluminum will oxidize rather quickly-- - Your mirror finish wont last too long at all before you have to re-polish it.

That being said, I would reccomend an industrial stregnth anno stripper (thats what I use) but draino crystals in water will work. After its striped, a good buffing wheel and Tripoli polishing compound will get it to a super high mirror shine. You WILL be able to see yourself in it when you are done.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Matt Crawford
02-15-2003, 10:28 PM
thanks guys

Ive done stuff with drayno woorked good, just seeing if there was anymore.Will try that Anno stripper...Where can i get it at?

Smokee_2_7
02-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Actually, im not the one in charge of ordering the anno supplies, so I don't know the specific name, nor the name of the suplying company. I would suggest doing a web search on annodizing, and you should be able to find a couple places that will sell you some stripper. The main thing this has over drano (that ive seen so far) is that it lasts alot longer- - the drano reacted out after a couple parts, wheras this batch of stripper we have has done about 5 or 6 whole gun sets and is showing no sign of dying out anytime soon.

Hope this helps,

Carl

athomas
02-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Try Caswell Plating. They have all kinds of info on annodizing and they sell all the necessary chemicals to do the job.