PDA

View Full Version : Why not remote?

mistwolf
02-14-2003, 05:52 PM
I've read lots of posts and played for a long while, and something still confuses me. Why don't more people play with a remote? Especially people with 88ci+ tanks, with these huge dropforwards and such... Wouldn't a remote free a hell of a lot of weight from the marker?

I've always played with one, but gotten odd looks, and noone could give a reason WHY. What's so great about having the air on the marker?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

digitard
02-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Well in a lot of cases the drop/tank provides a nice balance to the gun.

My personal reason is that:
1) I like the tank there, I put it against my shoulder when I'm leaning out.

2) I hate having a big tank on my back ... it was GREAT when I had a 12oz CO2 on my classic mag, but with a larger tank its VERY uncomfortable to me... I'll stick w/ my drop

Sincerely,
Dave K

-=Squid=-
02-14-2003, 05:56 PM
1) personally dnot feel as safe
2) WAY off balances the gun with a hopper full of paint and no tank
3) You have this gay coiled remote to get tangled in
4) nothing to shoulder against
5) they suck.

Mossman
02-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I need something to shoulder. The weight doesnt bother me, not nearly as much as that hose is sure to. And it looks funny! (just kidding)

Also, i find it to be a balance issue, with a big hopper on top, without someting of substance on the bottom to shoulder the gun feels unbalanced.

Xen
02-14-2003, 06:06 PM
everyone forgot the most important reason, you look like a newbie :D

speedyejl
02-14-2003, 06:26 PM
ouch...

Also even a carbon fiber tank even a huge as you put it tank plus an asa dosent weigh all that much. I'd bet a
88/45 with drop probably dosent weigh over 1.5lbs.

mistwolf
02-14-2003, 06:40 PM
I must just be weird, then, as I find it MUCH more comfortable not to have the tank on-gun. :) Granted, my tank is only (I think) 68ci, it just always felt ridiculously bulky when on the marker, plus it's just one more place to get hit...

Jamie

Lunchboxx
02-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Also, try shooting around the left side of a bunker with a remote going around you to your right. I would think that would be a little awkward.

I like having the tank to shoulder up with, too.

Shingo
02-14-2003, 07:04 PM
I've always played by remote. Tried playing with a tank on my 'Mag and it feels like it gets in the way. Even with a 45ci. As for the coil... never had probs with mine. Hardly notice it's there when I play. Even tho my marker is attached to a hose, I feel like I have more movement compared to having a tank mounted on 'mag. Feels better to me.

~Shingo~

Lethargic
02-14-2003, 07:38 PM
I have a remote, but i cant use it with my Flatline, and whenever I do use it I always seem to get caught on a bush or a bunker. After I got my old spyder taken right out of my hands I decided a remote just wasnt for me.

paintbattler
02-14-2003, 07:54 PM
when u slide, it gets in the way and it hurts like a boohockey

Psycho Chicken
02-14-2003, 08:37 PM
It does get rid of a lot of weight, but at a price. One movement is compromised, and two (unless you use a gas thru stock) accuracy.

ß.C.
02-15-2003, 12:13 AM
I use a SS remote, no problems here. I don't find a problem with balance, the only problem I've experienced on those lists are not having something to shoulder the gun on. If you are using a sight it allows you to use it a lot more easily. I have vert feed so there is no unstable balance, and I don't see how a tank in the back fixes balance from side to side besides having something to shoulder with.

Strider
02-15-2003, 10:29 AM
Having a shoulder ballance point is important. It's amazing how much more quickly you can line up shots. I used to run remote.

Now, I am going to be trying a remote with TStock soon... I'll let you know.

crazayman
02-16-2003, 03:37 PM
i used a remote when i was a newbie and i sold it right away, the one other reason for not using one is because as the pressure changes in the remote, it jerks itself around from shot to shot, so if ur doin a string, ur gun is being pulled all over the place, not accurate at all.

TheJester
02-16-2003, 07:43 PM
i don't mind the weight, but hte tank for me acts as a stock, and as a counter balance. the balance is the real reason i keep mine on my gun, i would prefer a heavier, balanced gun than a light, unbalanced gun.

mxheadrm
02-16-2003, 11:18 PM
That big bulb just ain't ergonomically correct.

Strider
02-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by crazayman
i used a remote when i was a newbie and i sold it right away, the one other reason for not using one is because as the pressure changes in the remote, it jerks itself around from shot to shot, so if ur doin a string, ur gun is being pulled all over the place, not accurate at all.
Um, right... If your drunk maybe! :p Presure changes??? No. Either that or you had a bad remote...

crazayman
02-17-2003, 12:03 PM
in a spyder it would have a pressure drop in the remote at the instant of the shot and right after, as it repressurizes it has the same effect as a highpower firehose on its own, flailing about in the air, except its attached to the gun, so intsead, it pulls the gun about

i know what i'm talkin about, it makes sense to me, and whats more than that, it happened to me. if it went to a regulator, or a regulated gun, that would change things, the pressure changes would be less rapid and varient.

but on a spyder, once that valve is broken to let air to the chamber, theres an open hole to the outside right from the tank. pressure changes would be far more extreme.

xmetal2001
02-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Having a tank to shoulder tremendously helps you when you are shapshooting, and good snapshooting is one of the key's to speedball.

magmonkey
02-17-2003, 02:44 PM
if a remote feels comfortable to you use is

if it doesn't don't

I used to use one and i liked it for playing a back position (with a t stock)

but playing up front with one for me was uncomfortable
because of the positons i put myself in.

giant1515
02-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I use one when i'm stuck with C02, but I've never used one on HPA, as i don't have a harness big enough to carry a 114. :). But I usually play on gun now since I have a z-grip and that feels REALLY funky without the tank there to shoulder with. Before i got the Z though I played a fair amount with a coiled remote and didn't really have any problems, with a loaded revvy it wasn't too bad balance wise, but with the HALO... it was too unbalanced for me to really compensate for.

Basically, you just have to find what's most comfortable for you and run with it.

chris99506
02-19-2003, 04:43 PM
i read somewhere that with a remote you are more likely to experience shoot down but i'm not 100% sure about that

magsRus
02-19-2003, 09:29 PM
gets in the way when i run

JT2002
02-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Lethargic
After I got my old spyder taken right out of my hands I decided a remote just wasnt for me.
what happened?

Jerhew
02-20-2003, 12:51 AM
i run a remote with my at85...
as far as shootdown...
either you have an old restrictive tiny hosed remote or your tank reg sucks or you're imagining things...
the at85 is very sensitive to pressure changes...
heck i can shoot full auto until i run out of air and i dont have any shootdown...

and all the mention of something to shoulder...
you have to have a gas thru stock, no question
they're only like $15 though
its nice to have for a big all day or 24hr senario game,
you're better off having the weight distributed across your body...less fatigue

don't get me wrong
i use a drop on my mag and typhoon
and if im gonna play a tournament

a remote is like any piece of equipment
be it a warpfeed, a remote, a drop forward with a nitro tank(which by the way was harder for me to get used to than the remote)
it might take awhile to get used to but if you give it a chance you might end up liking it(or maybe not)

ps-it's really silly when people list reasons and one of them is "it sucks"
thank you for showing your mental fortitude
:rolleyes:

Vendetta
02-20-2003, 10:19 AM
I play with a remote. You can get the gun closer to your face. Makes you much tighter. I have no problems shooting left or right handed. I've been playing for over 16 years. I don't care if people think I'm a noob.

Miscue
02-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Using a remote would make me more apt to throw my gun. :)