PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Dye Sticky 3s

JAM
02-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Well, I had posted in Blennidae's originsl thread that they were awesome. And they WERE... they come with a warning sticker that they are meant for "normal" width grip frames... well, i thought the Intelliframe was "normal width"... Apparently not.
The grips slide right up onto the frame no problem. that was two days ago- I went to pick up the gun this morn and the back of the grips- the wraparound part- had torn. so, now i have basically an expensive version of last year's stickys.

Just a warning to anyone else, hopefully you have better luck, but oh well.

-j

Shirow
02-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Blech.. I was going to buy a pair too. Oh well.

shartley
02-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Nope, sorry you had to find that out.

When I posted that I was going to make panel grips that specifically fit the Intelliframe, some wanted to point out that standard 45 grips will fit. I tried to explain that the Intelliframe WILL take standard panel grips, but that there was a lot of unused space left. The panels did not fit them “correctly”. The frame was not the same dimensions as all the other 45's out there.

I am still going to make grips specifically for the Intelliframe.

But at least you get a snazzy pair of grips still… minus the back strap.

behemoth
02-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Dosent Life Just Suck?...And when its goin good...leave it to DYE...

shartley
02-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by FiRe
Dosent Life Just Suck?...And when its goin good...leave it to DYE...
Actually this is not a Dye issue. The Intelliframe is out of “norm”, not the Dye grips. Standard Dye Stickies still fit though because they don’t have to worry about the added pressure of the back strap.

But hey, not every product will fit every other product. Knowing what will and will not is half the battle.

Blennidae
02-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Yep, I just checked mine and they did the same thing as JAM's did. Save your money, they didn't work out.

Sparq
02-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Well, I can scratch those off the "to buy" list...thanks for letting us know.

FalconGuy016
02-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Heh... me too :) I just got an inteliframe today (WOOO!!!)
Wait, how did blendaie get his/her on his/hers? :)
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68094

*ArKfEaR*
02-15-2003, 11:23 PM
you need 2 people, first drop as much weight off your mag as you can (or any other gun if your having trouble getting the new dye grips on)

1: Boil Pot of water
2: Drop grips in
3: keep them in there enough for the grips to be hot and strechy but not melted :D
4: quicky take out grips and maneuver them on your frame before they dry

repeat steps until sucessful (try heating up grips more too)

have friend or other hold mag down so you can fit the grips on and then get at least 1 screw in etc etc etc.

Good Luck

behemoth
02-15-2003, 11:36 PM
i was kidding...but yea...that does suck

Sooky
02-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by *ArKfEaR*
1: Boil Pot of water
2: Drop grips in
3: keep them in there enough for the grips to be hot and strechy but not melted :D
4: quicky take out grips and maneuver them on your frame before they dry

If anyone tries this, plz post if it works. I was planning on getting a pair, and if this does work, I just might.:D

rdb123
02-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Blennidae
Yep, I just checked mine and they did the same thing as JAM's did. Save your money, they didn't work out.

Sorry to hear it; could you post a pic of the torn sticky3 though?

Thanks

Note: looks like the guy on PBNation who slipped them on his clamshell grip for his Timmy will be in for a nice surprise hehe.

Blennidae
02-16-2003, 12:53 AM
rdb123:

I already ripped the remaining part off and put the old ones back on. The part that wraps around the back of the grip basically ripped away from the clear plastic frame.

If you really want pics, I can take a pic of the grips off the frame, to show what I'm talking about.

FalconGuy016:
As for any trouble getting them on, I had no trouble getting them on. I didnt think they had to stretch that much at all. They went on fine and looked good, but just like JAM, 2 days later they had ripped.

If the "heat them up first" method works out, more power to you. Just hope it lasts for more than 2 days.

paintball8869
02-16-2003, 12:55 AM
the clamshell is actually a skinnier (more skinny?) grip than most grips. That's why if you'll notice, a standard hogue grip will have a little bit of slack right in the front of it. Also the reason that the intimidator has grip screw holes in 3 locations for each screw (total of 12 holes you can put the screws in).

So I would assume that the sticky3 will just barely fit on it (he migth have heated it up though, the guy on PBN that is). But it looks bad *** on his gun. Worth possibly breaking IMO.

*ArKfEaR*
02-16-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Sooky

If anyone tries this, plz post if it works. I was planning on getting a pair, and if this does work, I just might.:D

its does work, i use the method for all grips.

shartley
02-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by *ArKfEaR*

its does work, i use the method for all grips.
The problem was not getting the grips on. It was caused by improper fit causing stress on the rubber. And that will happen no matter if you heat them up for putting them on or not…. Because the rubber will cool and end up with the same problem.

As for you doing that to all grips…. I would suggest buying the correct grips. If you have to fight with your grips, you got the wrong pair for your grip frame. :rolleyes:

rdb123
02-16-2003, 09:17 AM
...If you really want pics, I can take a pic of the grips off the frame, to show what I'm talking about....

I'd appreciate that if you don't mind. ;)

-Ron

spydervenom
02-16-2003, 09:33 AM
i heard in the timmy forum at pbnation that dye was going to release some that didn't have the back strap

JAM
02-16-2003, 11:36 AM
well, the grips went on fine, no stretching or anything. I thought there was no prob. I think the "sticky" part of the stickies is just way too soft- it feels like those gel inserts you can get for your shoes.

-j

Blennidae
02-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I agree with JAM, the new material is much softer than the rubber used in the old style.

Blennidae
02-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Here is the pic of how mine tore.

spydervenom
02-17-2003, 12:00 AM
before you throw them away...send them my way :)

ps...if you see this jam...could you respond to my pm's? thanks.

rdb123
02-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Ouch. Sorry man. They don't even work well with the back part torn?

-Ron

Blennidae
02-17-2003, 01:13 AM
They would still function OK, but I didn't go to all the trouble of setting my gun up to look nice, to just put torn grips on it. If they would have torn in a way that I could have salvaged into something decent looking I might have left them on.

shartley
02-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Folks who still want that look (which is nice), but don’t want to have the backs rip off on them and leave an uneven line might just cut the backs off as soon as they get them? That way THEY control how the rear edge looks, and not have it “rip” uneven.

Just a thought.

Blennidae
02-17-2003, 09:43 AM
I sent an email to Dye stating what happened. They will probably tell me "voided warrentee", but if I can get replacements, I may just slice off the back part. There is a nice molded line where you could do this and still have them look decent.

shartley
02-17-2003, 09:51 AM
I sent an email to Dye stating what happened. They will probably tell me "voided warrentee", but if I can get replacements, I may just slice off the back part. There is a nice molded line where you could do this and still have them look decent.
HeeHee Sounds like what I just said. ;)

Bigzamboni
02-17-2003, 09:53 AM
From what I can tell.. to put these on, you need to take off drop and tank/etc? That would be rather cumbersome for anyone who uses a marker with a battery in the gripframe.. Such as me and my Excalibur... :(

Blennidae
02-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Shartley:
Thats why I replied. To let everyone know that there is an option if they really like the way the new ones look and have to have a pair. If Dye cuts me a break, its what I'll do. I'm not holding my breath though...

rdb123
02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Well how would they expect you to know that they wouldn't fit??? Does the intelli-frame specifically say it's bigger than standard size?

It's obvious for the timmies with clamshells, but not really the intelliframes.

BTW: Anyone think that these would work well on an Emag?

-Ron

shartley
02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Let's hope they send you another pair.

Blennidae
02-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I looked over on pbreview and there are reviews from a GZ timmy owner and an impulse owner that say the same thing happened to them.

I am curious what are the dimensions of a "standard" 45 frame. I would think they had tried them on something before releasing them.

If these things are ripping on all kinds of markers, maybe refunds will be in order.

rdb123
02-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Maybe they should of embedded a harder rubber lining in the middle of the sticky stuff that wraps around the back and it would've given it some strength.

-Ron

JAM
02-17-2003, 01:07 PM
well, i see what you mean about cutting off the backstrap before you even mount the grips... but the soft part of the grip is not attached to the clear part of the grip all around... hard to explain, but the two parts are just molded together at a few spots, not joined all around, so if you cut the back off, the soft part will just peel up from the clear part. make any sense? my opinion is save yourself 10 bucks and get the older style stickys, those work fine.

-j

looks over function and I got suckered in.
:)

spydervenom
02-17-2003, 01:12 PM
well if they go on fine, that shouldn't be voiding any warantee...

but if they dont Blennidae, i wouldn't mind taking them off your hands for a few bux :) i think i can figure something out.

Ironmag
02-17-2003, 06:40 PM
rdb123
BTW: Anyone think that these would work well on an Emag?

No, 45 style grips do not fit the E-Mag at all. The E-Mag has it's own style of grips.

Blennidae
02-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I got a response to my email to Dye. They instructed me to call the customer service number. I did so, and had to leave a message. They called me back about 4hrs later. I spoke to the rep and told her what happened. She took down my mailing address and said they would ship out some new grips. :D

I asked her what the story was on this. She said that they are checking into the pigment used weakening the rubber, and they had about 7-8 calls about this already. Didn't ask if that was total or just today.

So, it seems Dye has some decent customer service.

JAM: PM me and I'll give you the number and extension they sent in the email so you can try to get yours replaced as well.

magman007
02-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Well thats good dye is taking care of you. I was actually thinking, they may just fit onto a ule framed e-mag, there certainly not wider than a normal 45 frame, but they are longer, which would still cause stretching, but now, what that clear plastic base, it would give me something to drill into and install the frame screws, there fore, ending the 3 hole dilemma.

If they figure out away to solve their stretching and breaking problems, i may just try it, worst comes to worst, i need to cut the backs off, melt them, and be happy

rtslave
03-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I hate alot of Dye products, but for some reason I keep buying things cause they do look good. I too bought some, a brand new RT-PRO, Dye barrel, and Dye Stickeys got them Friday, now It's Sunday and the Stickeys are RIPPED, never even played a game on them. DYE SUCKS!

2003 RT-Pro, Flatline,DZ3,Dye rhino,Dye S-S.......

rdb123
03-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Don't the new RT Pros come stock with a Level10 AND Intelliframe? If so, that's why they ripped...

Blennidae
04-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Well a month had passed and I still have not received anything, so I dropped an email to the customer service address to see what was going on. This is the body of the response I received.

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about your sticky3 grips. We apologize
for the delay in getting your sticky3 replacements out to you. However we
are still waiting for a shipment to arrive. We have your name in the system
and as soon as our sticky3's come in, we will ship yours out to you. Once
again we thank you for your patience and consideration in this matter. Have
a wonderful day."

At least I'm on some sort of list...:(

*ArKfEaR*
04-09-2003, 02:34 PM
I dont understand whats the problem. Get some super glue... line up the edges up the grips and put those suckers back on.

Blennidae
09-17-2003, 09:34 PM
OK, here we are 7 months later and I FINALLY have received my replacement grips from Dye.

On visual inspection it appears they did not change the design at all. However the materials look different. The clear plastic mounting part is now sort of smoke/milky. The old rubber was very shiny and really sticky. The new rubber is less sticky, and is not shiny. They come packed in fancy clear plastic packaging.

I'll mount them to the I-frame and see what happens and with any luck they wont tear.

Those of you who had them tear, if you did not report it to Dye, be sure you do. Those of you who have reported it to Dye and have not yet received your replacements, I'd contact them and "remind" them. I was not notified they were in. I found out by going to Dye's web page and they had the big "Sticky3's in stock" ad.

sps16
09-17-2003, 11:42 PM
awesome, i was thinking of picking up a pair of those

Marek
09-18-2003, 02:56 AM
7 months later, man, that's a long time for a new batch.

AutoMaggot
09-18-2003, 10:06 AM
These grips even tore on my bud's Professional frame from Pro Paintball... WHICH IS MADE BY DYE!

Jacko
09-18-2003, 12:28 PM
I've had a set on my Intelliframe for two months and numerous games and have had no problems at all. I didn't even need to boil them to get em on.

Blennidae
09-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Jacko
I've had a set on my Intelliframe for two months and numerous games and have had no problems at all.

Glad to hear that. I hope I have the same luck.

Its possible they fixed the issue a couple months back. Like I mentioned I only found out by stopping by the Dye web page. They sure didn't try to contact customers on their replacement list.