PDA

View Full Version : What is the average distance you engage your opponents?

Carbon
02-17-2003, 12:59 AM
I wonder what the average distance you folks engage your oppoents in the field. We chrono at 240fps. Im a "front" type player but the average distance i shoot at an opponent seems to be about 50-60 ft, and most of the shots are for suppresion, in order for me to move positions. I dont expect eliminations at these distances, although i have made several hopper/equipment shots on unsuspecting players at these ranges.

I find at 20 to 30ft is the average distance, 45ft in extreme cases, of when i can "call" my shot and make an actual ellimination, while shooting/ snapshooting.

I reffed on saturday and got a clearer picture of how these kinda skirmishes begin, play out and end.

Anyway was curious of what distances yall engage at, AND what you think is the optimal distance to "call" your shots.

boggerman
02-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Totally depends on the type of game. When we play outdoors, just natural terrain-no "bunkers", I would say 30-60 feet, but it is common to shoot much farther for suppression, as you mentioned. Depending on where we play and the type of terrain/cover, I will take shots of 100-120 feet. Just for reference, we chrono at 300 outdoors.

<---Just noticed - 300 posts, woot I'm a post whore!:D

ArthurDent
02-17-2003, 05:36 AM
lol you cant ask this question unless you are talking about woods because on concept feilds its all about the position you play and the field....some fields i play on i am right up in there face at like 10-30 feet others i am shooting so far people are getting bounces on there masks......oh and the optimal distance is always whats gets the other guy to walk off the field

Tyger
02-17-2003, 05:44 AM
I should be sleeping.

Umm, average is 75-80 feet, actually. That's what I practice on. I can hit a Mountan Dew bottle at 75 or so feet with consistency. And the latest web dog video can prove it. :D

I find mostly that's my range of engagement. Speedball fields to woods ball, it averages out around 75-85 feet. If I can hit 'em closer, I'll do it. And longer range just means you tip the gun higher.

-Tyger

shartley
02-17-2003, 07:13 AM
For me it depends on the field type and layout, as well as my purpose for “engaging”. If it is to suppress them, it is as far as I can shoot. I tend to find myself engaging at all distances within my marker’s range of fire.

TheJester
02-17-2003, 10:51 AM
i've let out supression fire as far as like 150 feet in woods games. but i'm a front player too, so i'm prolly about the same as you, average enagage distance is prolly around 30 feet or so

FalconGuy016
02-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I have no idea for myself. I usually find myself shooting at something that is too far for the paintball.

240 fps? Do you play in the woods at that fps? Thats an indoor fps

SlipknotX556
02-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Depends on what type of field I am playing. If its hyperball, then I am usuall about 15-20 feet. If its airball, its like 20-30. But if its like a rec ball type, then im all up in their face.

aaron_mag
02-17-2003, 12:03 PM
There are two distances that I frequently engage at. The first is too soon (which is when I swear I would have had them if only I waited a little longer) and the other is too late (which is when I would have had them if only I hadn't waited so long)!:D

MantisMag
02-17-2003, 02:42 PM
i engage at any distance from where i think i can get a break down to bunkering. longballing to snapshooting anywhere where i think i can get an angle. or whereever i happen to get pinned down. snap shooting at less than 5 feet is fun. :D

cris8762
02-17-2003, 03:40 PM
1 foot when i put 3 on ur back/harness, MUAHAHAHAHHA!!!

but seriously, i play back so most of my kills are either off the break on a 3 man field (60 ft) or during cleaup time at the end of a game (20-30ft)

aaron_mag
02-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tyger
I should be sleeping.

Umm, average is 75-80 feet, actually. That's what I practice on. I can hit a Mountan Dew bottle at 75 or so feet with consistency. And the latest web dog video can prove it. :D

I find mostly that's my range of engagement. Speedball fields to woods ball, it averages out around 75-85 feet. If I can hit 'em closer, I'll do it. And longer range just means you tip the gun higher.

-Tyger

Tyger's post reminded me that I wanted to check out webdogradio.us ever since he posted the vintage Tom Kaye video. Check out his site. He speaks the truth about poping a Mountain Dew bottle. Maybe I should actually try and use my sight rather than looking down the barrel.:D

It looks to be a good site. I'll have to look at it some more.

SyntaxError
02-17-2003, 07:25 PM
About 5-15 feet for the first front guy I come into contact with, I play the center 50, so it depends if anyone on the other team decides to double up with me hehe.

Tyger
02-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by aaron_mag

Tyger's post reminded me that I wanted to check out webdogradio.us ever since he posted the vintage Tom Kaye video. Check out his site. He speaks the truth about poping a Mountain Dew bottle. Maybe I should actually try and use my sight rather than looking down the barrel.:D

It looks to be a good site. I'll have to look at it some more.

Thank ye! The bottle is a "Show trick", actually. I figure if you can hit a soda can or a soda bottle at distance, you can hit anything at that distance (hoppers, shoes, whatever). It becomes a matter of doing it under pressure of gameplay.

My site on the SC Phantom is set at about the 75 foot mark. Once you know what the dot is 'set' for, you can adjust for closer or further. Realistically, the dot really only tells you where the gun barrel says the ball should go. The paint is the final decision maker in the process, and often times has a better place to go than where you point it. It helps for those 'set up' shots and to an extent for snapshooting, but most of your play is fast and loose. Trace your paint visually if you're doing strings and volume shooting. Save the site for times when you NEED to make the first shot count.

Hmm... May have to get some more paint and do a shooting drills episode. :cool:

-Tyger